Toy Fair 2010 news and images

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
BlacknRedTed
Protoform

Post by BlacknRedTed »

Denyer wrote:This forum's more about discussion of news than trying to get there first.

Please link pages or forum posts rather than directly to images or attachments, though.
OK cool, I will keep that in mind next time.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

I must be getting old and cranky, but these toys aren't really grabbing me.
  • Combiners with individual components that don't function independently are stupid and a cheap way to make money.
  • I haven't read the recent comics, so I know nothing about Drift and thus am not particularly hot and bothered about Autobot Sports Car #439.
  • I currently have a case featuring four different iterations of Optimus Prime (Masterpiece, Movie 1, ROTF, and G1) and three more in one of the cases at my parents' house (another G1, Powermaster, Laser Rod). It's going to take a lot to get me to buy another one, whatever size it may be.
  • Deluxe-size Movie Ratchet and Ironhide? Really? Why should we care about crappier, smaller versions of toys that were already great, movie-accurate, and affordable?
  • Classics Thrust is cool, I guess, but I already own all six G1 jets, as well as Classics Acid Storm and Starscream. I'm clutching for a reason to even keep the ones I have, let alone load up on new ones.
  • Masterpiece Grimlock? Sure, fine, I guess. I don't care, but it seems like it'll make other people happy, so good for them. So far, only Prime (and maybe Starscream, but I don't own him) seem to truly deserve the title of "masterpiece."
borg72

Post by borg72 »

Cheaper combiners, and deluxe re-dos of voyagers, are not so unappealing to those with less money and/or figures in their collection.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Really? You're going to play that card? When the Voyagers could have been had for $20 at the time of their release, yet the diminutive and crappy Deluxes often go for $13 now? If you have that little money, you shouldn't be buying Transformers at all.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

So...uh...nevermind the fact that the new bike sister is not a new mold based of the third bike and robot of the movie (arguably the coolest of the three), but why the heck is she black and not purple??
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Unless you're looking at better pictures than me, it looks more.. er, red wine coloured to me, a bit like the in-game Decepticon Swindles. I'm just gutted it's the awful Chromia mould, or near enough - I'd have been happier with just three decos of Arcee. I have a feeling the combined mode is going to be a massive fudge anyway - those three black posts will clip together and they'll all just sort of hang off the hub semi-transformed.
Clay

Post by Clay »

It looks black in pictures for me.

I'm not entirely sure it's the third bike, anyway. It's supposed to be an altered version of Arcee, so it would stand that Elita1 is actually just a random repaint of Chromia.

Plus, the hub connection is already there. They don't design 2/3s of a combiner and wait to see how they sell before doing the last bit.
BlacknRedTed
Protoform

Post by BlacknRedTed »

BlacknRedTed wrote:OK, I keep hearing about straxus(I hope thats how you spell his name) and this new toy of him, can soneone provide a link for me so I can check this guy out, and also tell my why so many people are going crazy of him becoming a toy.
So umm, can any one help out wit the pics of this guy ? or some info on him ?
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

BlacknRedTed wrote:So umm, can any one help out wit the pics of this guy ? or some info on him ?
|
|
V
Denyer wrote:It's in the Flickr set linked. Didn't highlight it as I don't think people were supposed to have cameras in the Hasbro presentation...
zigzagger wrote:Yeah, I'm not spotting it amongst the TFW links either for some reason. Found it on seibertron, though.
borg72

Post by borg72 »

Vin Ghostal wrote:Really? You're going to play that card? When the Voyagers could have been had for $20 at the time of their release, yet the diminutive and crappy Deluxes often go for $13 now? If you have that little money, you shouldn't be buying Transformers at all.

Stunningly ignorant. Seriously, well done on that. :clap:
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

So, I am kind of stoked to get Insecticon (I assume this is supposed to be the one that Sam pulls apart in RotF?). Also...what is Hailstorm? He looks kinda like one of the transformers you can make on the RotF Blu-ray Disc extra. Anyone know what his story is? And I like that Ravage better than the black one...but too late. Besides...bring on the Legends Ravage! (now, I just need to find HA Barricade so I can get a decent Frenzy) :)
BlacknRedTed wrote:So umm, can any one help out wit the pics of this guy ? or some info on him ?
Straxus was a Marvel only character, kind of interesting, but I am surprised at how excited people are for it, too. Maybe more happens in later comics that I haven't read yet, but I don't understand the love for the character either.

Also, as you're looking for him, note that they're not calling him Straxus, they're calling him "Darkmount."
Cliffjumper wrote:Unless you're looking at better pictures than me, it looks more.. er, red wine coloured to me, a bit like the in-game Decepticon Swindles. I'm just gutted it's the awful Chromia mould, or near enough - I'd have been happier with just three decos of Arcee. I have a feeling the combined mode is going to be a massive fudge anyway - those three black posts will clip together and they'll all just sort of hang off the hub semi-transformed.
I suppose it could be a deep red color...it's hard to tell. At first glance it certainly looks black in the pictures I'm looking at (not the highest quality pics), but maybe there's a bit of red in there. But it's not the purple I was expecting.

And as you say, of the two modes to pic...I would have preferred Arcee. But still, I think a third actual mold would have been best (I was really hoping to see that third robot). Well, maybe someday.

And yeah, the combined version is proably just a crap-tastic hook-up that doesn't really form any sort of semblance of a single entity.
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Clay wrote:I'm not entirely sure it's the third bike, anyway. It's supposed to be an altered version of Arcee, so it would stand that Elita1 is actually just a random repaint of Chromia.
Could be; there was that kerfuffle over Elita-1 or Flareup after all. It'd just be very, very weird for them to do Chromia as a stand-alone recolour if they've got the third bike on the horizon, especially as Chromias on the shelves seem to outnumber all other toys in stores put together...
Plus, the hub connection is already there. They don't design 2/3s of a combiner and wait to see how they sell before doing the last bit.
Well, yeh, but they may have designed the thing from the outset as a redeco, plus recent TFs have seen some drastic cost-cutting at late stages.
Brimstone wrote:Maybe more happens in later comics that I haven't read yet, but I don't understand the love for the character either.
It's more than he's an alright Marvel character who's getting a toy, which feels like real payback for some of us comic bods who've had to put up with so much cartoon influence on the toys. I'm mainly excited because it means there's ever such a slight chance of an Impactor at some point if the designers are looking beyond the kids' show for older characters.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Impactor would make my year.

Actually, I'd love if they'd do new Deluxe/Voyager toys for all the old Wreckers/Mayhem squad, even if they came from different lines.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I'm also quietly hoping (dreaming) that the move away from Scramble City style combiners will see Hasbro take another look at the Duocon concept - with modern tech, those could be really great toys.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

I'm still waiting for a good triple changer to come along. I've been less then...thrilled about the current batch (shift a few panels? Really Soundwave?).

But I agree on some level. I'm a sucker for combiners of just about any type, from Scramble City all the way down to the old tape combiners (Squawkbox and Slamdance!). So seeing the Duocons would be awesome.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Cliffjumper wrote:I'm also quietly hoping (dreaming) that the move away from Scramble City style combiners will see Hasbro take another look at the Duocon concept - with modern tech, those could be really great toys.
:deadhorse: :joke:
Wreck and Rule!
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Cliffjumper wrote:It's more than he's an alright Marvel character who's getting a toy, which feels like real payback for some of us comic bods who've had to put up with so much cartoon influence on the toys. I'm mainly excited because it means there's ever such a slight chance of an Impactor at some point if the designers are looking beyond the kids' show for older characters.
Which one was Impactor?

When I was a kid, I had some of the early TF comics but not many (grew up in a small town, not too many comic books). It's only recently that I've been picking up the Classic Transformer books. I have 1-5, but I've only read the first three so far. Was Impactor a UK character? Or did I just miss him? (or I suppose I just haven't gotten to his story yet)

They've been pretty good, but I've actually enjoyed the GI Joe ones more...I think it's just because the art aged better than the TF ones.

Anyway, back to the topic: It's not that I disliked Straxus, he just seemed like such a minor character (only in like two comics...so far anyway). The toy is interesting, but I am having a bit of a hard time seeing the resemblance to the comic character (aside from the color scheme and the weapon). But I get what you're saying about him being a non-cartoon centric toy.
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Brimstone wrote:Which one was Impactor?

Was Impactor a UK character? Or did I just miss him? (or I suppose I just haven't gotten to his story yet)
Anyway, back to the topic: It's not that I disliked Straxus, he just seemed like such a minor character (only in like two comics...so far anyway)
Impactor was a Marvel UK exclusive character. He first appeared in the Target: 2006 storyline. Straxus also played a larger role in the UK comics, versus his brief appearance in the US run.