Anti-kibble

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Nevermore

Anti-kibble

Post by Nevermore »

For those who don't know what "kibble" is, head over to the Transformers Wiki.

"Anti-kibble", for lack of a better term, is currently the Wiki's name for elements of the robot mode design that look like they're part of the alternate mode, but actually aren't, as the actual, similar-looking alt mode parts end up elsewhere on the robot. This is usually done when the toy is based on a character with an "iconic" look that is owed to the original alternate mode, and the toy, for whatever reason, can't replicate that look with its transformation, hence fake "replications" of the vehicle parts in question are added to the robot design. It also happens with toys of movie characters that can't accurately replicate the transformation as seen in the movie due to budget and/or size constraints.

Examples:
- Various Optimus Prime toys (Powermaster Prime, G1 Hero Prime, G2 Laser Prime, Movie Voyager Prime, Movie Legends Prime) with fake truck windows on the robot mode's chest, even though the actual truck windows end up elsewhere in robot mode.
- Alternators Tracks with a fake car roof on his chest which ends up under the car in vehicle mode.
- Likewise, the fake car roof on Animated Deluxe Bumblebee.
- Movie Deluxe Jazz with fake "wheels" on the sides of his legs, while the actual wheels end up on the back of the legs.
- Movie Legends Jazz with a fake car front on his chest... which ends up on the car's roof in vehicle mode, while the reat car front ends up on the underside of the feet.

I'm sure there are other examples.

Can anyone think of a better term than "anti-kibble"?
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

"Bad Engineering"?
"Epic fail"?
"The usual Takara/Hasbro stupidity"?
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

Vehicle component prosthetics? It needs to be wordy.

Otherwise, "fake/false parts."
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

"elbbik"
"Shameless transformation shortcuts"
"Laziness in toy designing"
"Fake stuff"
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Pun-3X wrote:Vehicle component prosthetics? It needs to be wordy.

Otherwise, "fake/false parts."
I like "Fake Parts" or "Psuedokibble".
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

I will add (and agree) in all seriousness that I'm not really a fan of "anti-kibble" in this regard. That sounds like something that solves the kibble issue (like a shell- or parts-former by "removing" the kibble). And false parts to me feels simple and to the point. It doesn't really need to be fancy or cheesy to work.
Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

Laziness...
Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

Budget kibble...

Oh yeah, by the way, Nevermore, the windows on Movie prime's robot-chest are the same ones used in vehicle-mode...
numbat

Post by numbat »

Fiddle!

Because they are 'fiddling' you!

Then I realised what that is more likely to be taken to mean...

(And in some ways it seemed even more appropriate with this in mind - we all come away feeling had and used when we discover that, once again, Optimus Prime's stomach does not consist of the actual truck grill... In fact, when was the last time it did? G1? ;) )

So, perhaps - FIBBLE!
Detective Barricade

Post by Detective Barricade »

numbat wrote:Fiddle!

Because they are 'fiddling' you!

Then I realised what that is more likely to be taken to mean...

(And in some ways it seemed even more appropriate with this in mind - we all come away feeling had and used when we discover that, once again, Optimus Prime's stomach does not consist of the actual truck grill... In fact, when was the last time it did? G1? ;) )
Energon, actually.

Back on topic, 'fake parts' sounds just fine to me...
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Rattrap's tail wrote:Oh yeah, by the way, Nevermore, the windows on Movie prime's robot-chest are the same ones used in vehicle-mode...
Er...
Nevermore wrote:Movie Voyager Prime, Movie Legends Prime
numbat

Post by numbat »

Well, let's face it, Legends Prime could easily be confused with Leader Prime...

:lol:

I'm putting my vote down to fibble. I think it works. If I start saying it enough in my reviews, everyone will start using it.

:swirly:

ROTF Voyager Long Haul has a fair bit of fibble on his chest, by the way.

:p
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

@ ratrap's tail: Hahahaha, ****ing owned! =D

Random question - would Laser Rod Optimus and his Mini-Me count? Are they really meant to be truck windows or is it just using panels to create a similar chest design? There's no real attempt to carry the colour scheme over (apart from on the Universe Spychanger).

Another example (assuming you're after more examples and didn't just give a sample list) would be RotF Deluxe Sideways' forearm wheels.

EDIT: I vote for "Flibble". Then we can call Sideways "Mr. Flibble".
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

My own suggestions:

1) Kabble - cross between "cab" and "kibble" (because a lot of these parts are related to driver compartments)
2) Dibble - cross between "double" and "kibble", because parts of the vehicle mode are "doubled".
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

Neither. Sorry.

Not too keen on creating terms that create a sentence where you're talking about "Kibble and Kabble." Makes you laugh, then in short time you realize how retarded that just sounded.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Animated Supreme Roll Out Prime has genuine grill waist and window pecs, so it hasn't been that long.
Transformer Kamen

Post by Transformer Kamen »

I like the term secretcode used "psuedo-kibble". Otherwise, faux parts is amusing to say. :)
Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

Nevermore wrote:For those who don't know what "kibble" is, head over to the Transformers Wiki.

"Anti-kibble", for lack of a better term, is currently the Wiki's name for elements of the robot mode design that look like they're part of the alternate mode, but actually aren't, as the actual, similar-looking alt mode parts end up elsewhere on the robot. This is usually done when the toy is based on a character with an "iconic" look that is owed to the original alternate mode, and the toy, for whatever reason, can't replicate that look with its transformation, hence fake "replications" of the vehicle parts in question are added to the robot design. It also happens with toys of movie characters that can't accurately replicate the transformation as seen in the movie due to budget and/or size constraints.

Examples:
- Various Optimus Prime toys (Powermaster Prime, G1 Hero Prime, G2 Laser Prime, Movie Voyager Prime, Movie Legends Prime) with fake truck windows on the robot mode's chest, even though the actual truck windows end up elsewhere in robot mode.
- Alternators Tracks with a fake car roof on his chest which ends up under the car in vehicle mode.
- Likewise, the fake car roof on Animated Deluxe Bumblebee.
- Movie Deluxe Jazz with fake "wheels" on the sides of his legs, while the actual wheels end up on the back of the legs.
- Movie Legends Jazz with a fake car front on his chest... which ends up on the car's roof in vehicle mode, while the reat car front ends up on the underside of the feet.

I'm sure there are other examples.

Can anyone think of a better term than "anti-kibble"?
I MEAN THE LEADER-CLASS!!!! Sigh, I'm such a loser sometimes.... But how about Nevermore Kibble??? ;D
Starfield
Protoform

Post by Starfield »

Pseudo altmode features.

They usually bug me, but Classic Optimus Prime's pseudo radiator grill is cool.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

"pseudo-kibble" has the nicest ring to it, methinks