25 Years of Transformers - which are the best toys?

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Only 10? Ugh.....

In no particular order:

G1 Roadbuster
RiD Scourge
Metals Jaguar X-9(aka Ravage)
Classics Rodimus
Heinrad/Heinlad
BotCon Ironhide
G1 Tracks
G1 Stepper
Classics Grimlock
G1 Ironhide
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Thank you to the person who removed the "th" from the thread title. You've settled my OCD.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I'm only listing toys I've actually owned at some point, and I won't deny that the list is very subjective. For older toys especially, the fun I had with them as a kid is going to outweigh actual quality.

10: Prowl (RiD) - The best of the RiD cars by a mile, Prowl isn't quite a shellformer in my books. He was the first modern toy to succeed at merging BW levels of articulation with G1 alternate modes on a reasonably small-scale toy, and he did it with style.

9: Trypticon (G1) - Probably the most subjective toy on my list. As a kid I always wanted one of the citybots, and Trypticon was my favourite. I didn't actually get one until I was in my 20s, though, so I missed out on the fun that I surely would have had if I'd gotten him when I was younger. My nieces and nephew, on the other hand, are just the right age to appreciate everything that Trypticon has to offer. Frankly, I think they come over to visit him more than me.

8: Optimus Primal (Universe) - The original BW release was just so…bland. The slavishly show-accurate Japanese takes on the character are neat too, but the more tribal and primitive aesthetic that the Universe design team brought to the toy just takes the cake in my book. Beyond looks, any version of the toy you get your hands on is going to feature excellent articulation, enough weapons to outfit three Primals and generally be a hell of a lot of fun to play with.

7: Ramjet (Classics) - Any of the Classics Seekers could take up a spot in my books (except for the initial Starscream release, who was pretty bland). Ramjet was my first example of the mold though, so he gets the nod. A very G1-esque representation of the character, Ramjet an his comrades make the Robot Masters seekers (who were lauded as awesome only a few years earlier) look like scrawny, cheap pieces of junk, and the Masterpiece seeker mold look like overcomplicated, oversized nonsense.

6: Hound & Ravage (Universe) - Hound follows in Classics Bumblebee's footsteps in the "undersized deluxe toy that comes with a non-sequitur accessory" category. Ravage is miles better than that silly jetski, though -- in fact, he's miles better than most Legends and Minicon sized figures. Hound's not quite up there with Bumblebee on the awesome-o-meter, but he's fun to fiddle with and he's a great representation of the character.

5: Cyclonus (Universe) - About as close to a spot-on perfect representation of Cyclonus in plastic form as you can ask for, the Universe toy would be even higher on my list if it wasn't for some really shoddy QC, sloppy paintwork and parts that don't quite fit as tightly as they need to.

4: Optimus Prime (Armada) - Not the huge one with the trailer and no articulation, but the smaller, deluxe-scale version. The toy looks great and it's an interesting spin on the Optimus Prime archetype. The only real strike it's got against it in my books is that Prime looks silly displayed next to my other Armada toys. That's hardly a knock on Prime, though -- he's a good toy and the other Armada figures aren't.

3: Bumblebee (Classics) - A wonderful figure in its' own right that takes a lot of the lessons learned by the Alternators line and applies them properly to a deluxe-sized figure (yes, that's a shot at the Movie line). The toy also manages to be a great representation of an iconic character, and really only loses points because he has that silly jetski thing instead of proper weapons and accessories.

2: Sideswipe (Universe) - A tremendous mold no matter how you slice it -- I've got both Sideswipe and Sunstreaker and would gladly buy another redeco if they did something interesting with it -- but I prefer Sideswipe's colour scheme and robot mode configuration. It's a shame he didn't come with a bigger gun, but that's something that's easily remedied. It's too bad that both versions of this mold were so awesome...with votes split equally between Sideswipe and Sunstreaker this mold might not rank anywhere near as high as it deserves to (depending on how we tabulate things at the end).

1: Jetfire (Classics) - Just an amazing toy, a great figure with more accessories than you can shake a stick it, and they didn't even try to cram in any annoying electronics. This is one of the few bigger-than-deluxe figures I've owned that I haven't thought would be improved by being dropped down into a lower size bracket.

Honourable mentions go to G1 Prowl, Hot Rod, Hun-grrr, Ultra Magnus and Powermaster Prime, Alternators Smokescreen and Skids, BW Transmetal Megatron/Armada Predacon, BW Insecticon, Classics Astrotrain and Tank Megatron, Universe Onslaught, Energon Treadshot and Sharkticon. To be honest, any of those could have wound up in the 6 - 10 spots and I wouldn't have considered them out of place.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Where's the hot naked woman?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Hound

Post by Hound »

G1 Hound
G1 Fortress Maximus
G1 Scorponok
G1 Cliffjumper
G1 Bluestreak
G1 Shockwave
G1 Soundwave
RiD Scourge
BW Optimus Primal (Gorilla)
BW Waspinator
Transformer Kamen

Post by Transformer Kamen »

BWNeo Big Convoy
BM Nightviper
Classics Cyclonus
Classics Onslaught
BW Cheetor (Transmetal)
BW Silverbolt
BW Quickstrike
Armada Unicron
G2 Dreadwing/Smokescreen
G2 Laser Optimus Prime
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

Hrm,

What should I pick? Not sure.

I'm particularly fond of the following:

Cliffjumper
Brawn
Bumblebee
Windcharger
Gears
Metroplex
Ultra Magnus
Devastor
Sixshot
BW Dinobot
Optimus Primal (1st one)
Classics Cyclonus
"" Hound
"" Smokescreen
RID Prime
TFA Prime
RID Scourge
Overlord

list goes on and on. I really cannot say which one is my ultimate, but I really do like MP Prime. Megs is ok too.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Wow I'm really late to this topic. I'm not going to try and do them not in any particular order.
  1. Universe Nemesis Prime (Big Convoy repaint) - One of my absolute favorite toys period. He has tons of weapons to kick ass. He has good articulation. He is mostly black. He has a removable dead Matrix thingy. He is a shell former that can become a pretender. What is not to love?
  2. Beast Wars II Starscream & BB - I know, this is kinda cheating, but not really since they came together and never separate, and they combine during their transformation. These figures are just awesome to me with their cool individual jet modes, BB's third tank mode, and their combined bomber jet mode. The figures were released a few times in other lines and different paint jobs, but I feel that the BW II black deco fit the molds the best. Oh, and BB's spinning missile launcher is awesome!
  3. Beast Wars Neo Break - He turns into a friggin' penguin! He shoots a missile from his arse. He turns into a penguin! He turns into a gun that shoots a missile from his arse! Umm.. penguin!
  4. Classics Starscream - A close to perfect version of G1 Starscream with great articulation, once the null rays are off. I rate this on my list over the Masterpiece Starscream because it is more durable and can actually be played with, minus the fear of breaking it. I prefer the Hentai deco over the US one, but really does it matter?
  5. Animated Starscream - A cool Bruce Cambell look alike caricature of my favorite character? Sign me up. This figure has it all in my book, an awesome transformation that is simple yet well thought out, as well as awesome articulation and it looks almost 100% show accurate.
  6. G1 Tracks - This has always been my favorite of the Autobot car molds since I was a kid. I never really cared for the character, but I always loved the Corvette Stingray and the colors used on this figure. The cool wings and semi-triple changer ability was always cool to me as a kid too. Great classic figure all around, even has elbows.
  7. KISS Players Glit - Yeah I know, everyone will scratch their head over this one, but he is one of my favorite characters in the G1 Universe based only off of his tech specs and short e-Hobby bio. I also love the colors that were used for this deco of an already iconic figure, and totally dig what I've done with the character in our RPG :p
  8. Beast Wars Optimus Primal - This figure just has tons of replay value with all his weapons and gimmicks. The TRU Anniversary version is pretty dead on for show accuracy as well, minus the wrist blasters and jets on his back. The Robot Masters version corrects these mistakes, yet the small size just doesn't compare for me. This figure captures the character perfectly and is armed to the teeth, my favorite BW mold no doubt.
  9. Masterpiece Optimus Prime - It is really hard not to include this isn't it? This is the only Masterpiece figure I feel really got it right (granted I have not owned a Grimlock and thus cannot compare them). It has a ton of articulation and looks just like the cartoon character I grew up loving. His transformation and alt mode does suffer a tiny bit, but the awesomeness of the robot mode will always win out.
  10. G1 Soundwave - Simply an iconic character with instant recognition. How can I not put this one on the list? Possibly one of the best articulated G1 figures, with one of the simplest, yet best functioning transformations. Not to mention the cassettecons as the perfect accessories, and you have a classic figure that has really stood the test of time.
MissingSea
Protoform

Post by MissingSea »

In no particular order though I'm emphasising the molds in a few case not the characters:

MP/20th Anniversary Prime: Well engineered and solid build quality and a great update to a iconic figure.

Binaltech/Alternators RX8 mold: In my opinion the best engineered of the Alt/BT line, with great character choices in Jazz and Shockwave.

Universe 2.0 Sunstreaker/Sideswipe/Alert etc...: This is again probably one of the best molds that came out of the Uni/Classics verse. Excellent Alt mold and a two distinct ways of achieving the bot mode allow for multiple characters.

G1 Ultra Magnus: I know he has limited articulation with the exception of his arms, but I just love the mold.

Classics/Universe Seekers: While the original Starscream deco was a bit lackluster, the subsequent releases have improved on this. Admittedly releasing Thundercracker as an exclusive was a pain.

Classics Bumblebee/Cliffjumper: I love these little guys, about the only thing that would improve the mold is having a weapon for them.

G1 Sideswipe: I don't know why, but I really like this figure even with it's severly limited articulation.

Energon Scorponok: A great update on his G1 namesake.

Universe 2.0 Prowl etc....: Again a nice update to the G1 molds, there are some engineering flaws with the mold, but I think it all came together with the Henkei release of Smokescreen.

Classics Prime mold: Again a nice update to the original mold, all it's missing as far as I'm concerned is the trailer.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Savannahtron wrote:Hrm,

What should I pick? Not sure.
Howsabout narrowing it to a top ten and calling it a draw?
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

As I have now discovered I am deathly allergic to stabbings here's my list.

10. Movie Fracture (I would put Mirage here, but I don't have him)
9. Movie Landmine (First Line)
8. BW TM Cheetor
7. Cybertron Downshift
6. ROTF Optimus Prime (Leader)
5. Universe 2.0 Inferno
4. Classics Bumblebee (Deluxe)
3. Classics Optimus Prime (Voyager)
2. Universe 2.0 Sunstreaker
1. Cybertron Optimus Prime (Leader Class)

I'll put my reasonings up tomorrow.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Energon Hot Shot

Post by Energon Hot Shot »

1. Hun-grrr
2. Animated Blurr
3. Universe 2.0 Inferno
4. Alternators Rodimus
5. Armada Hoist
6. Armada Unicron
7. Cybertron Munky Prime(I don't own the BW 10th Anniversary coloring)
8. Cybertron Optimus Prime(Leader Class)
9. Armada Bendy Prime
10. Hybrid Style Convoy
Steam: Hot Shot
Boltrider
Protoform

My Top 10

Post by Boltrider »

Here are my Top 10 with reasons:

1. G1 Jetfire: This was my first ever big figure. It had plenty of articulation and actually was built quite well comparatively for early TF's. Full battle gear made this 'bot a truly wonderful showpiece as well as a great toy.
2. G1 Sixshot: Never owned this one, but I did see one on display. Marvelous piece of work! very versatile. So what, he killed Magnus! This is a great figure with a developing character.
3. Energon Shockblast: That's Shockwave to you! Great homage (or better) than the original. Great character development with similar gimmick to G1. Really versatile as a triplechanger.
4. First Strike Optimus Prime: My favorite Prime-- Period! It has straightforward transformation with original colors. The vehicle looks really fine with multiple options. Great G1 paint. This is the size a Prime should be, with all the right features ( NO MOUTH-- YEA!!!). The double gun is also a great touch. I would say Classics Prime (Voyager) is probably on par or better in build and in appearance, but when First Strike was available, I can only review First Strike. Awesome figure and WAY BETTER THAN G1!!
5. ROTF Megatron (Voyager): This is THE BEST Megatron EVER! That's because of 1). The non-complicated transformation 2). The awesome appearance 3). The absolutely superb gimmickry (claw, gears, added arm cannon).4) The uncanny resemblance to a horseshoe crab (LOL). The paint is great, and the face-- THAT FACE!! My only complaint is his size next to First Strike OP. Megs should be taller. Always taller. I think his "wings" in robot mode are reminiscent of RiD or Beast Wars and is a very nice touch. I think I can get a THIRD change mode . Still working on that.
6. 2007 Movie Ironhide: I am KICKING myself because I sold my black GMC Topkick to go smaller! This was the most awesome Autobot from the 2007 line. The arm cannon was beautiful,and he had an aggressive stance. Difficult transformation, though.
7. 2007 Premium Bumblebee: I have always liked the Bumblebee character, but this one does him justice. I LOVED the paint and his little face mask. Too bad it wasn't slideable. I now have an ROTF Bumblebee, first release, that I find movie accurate, but I really think the head is too big. I wish there was a rotating arm for the cannon or a removeable gun as in Premium.
8. Classics 2.0 Prowl: Prowl was my first ever TF. He was DA MAN! Loved his Police Deco. 2.0 is better for the articulation that G1 never had. He is one of the most awesome deluxes.
9. Classics Sunstreaker: Love the paint on this guy. Everything that the original had is here, and then some. Great size and nifty weapons storage.
10. Classics Rodimus: Interesting transformation. Love the finish. This is how TF's ought to be made. Love the Cannon mode.
Honorable Mentions:
Armada Tidal Wave: Great gigacon figure. Novel three vehicle approach.
G1 Scorpinok: I love the city thing, especially this one.
Cybertron Excellion: I just have this thing for the Rodimus paintjob.
Energon Rodimus: Love the paint. Innovative transformation. The vehicle looks as good as G1 Rodimus Prime.
Energon Downshift ( Wheeljack): Love this mould. Surprising firearms on this bot.
Ultra Magnus G1: This is really the best representation of the red white and blue soldier, even with all the hype of the animated figure.
Optimal Optimus (BWTM) : Fun mould with quite a few possibilities.
Omega Supreme: Big, Really Big and cool arms.
Defensor G1: Great combiner.
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

Halfshell wrote:Howsabout narrowing it to a top ten and calling it a draw?
That would be entirely uncomplicated lol.
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

In no real order...

.Beastwars Spittor - He headbutts. There.

.Movie Scorponok - In my opinion, the only really durable movie toy.

.Animated Soundwave - Love the robot mode, and he has a transforming guitar.

.Beastwars TM Megatron - He's a T-Rex that rollar skates and flies...

.ROTF Dirtboss - He gets on this list sorely because of his alt. mode.

.Beastwars TMII Cheetor - He has a sort of undead feel to him, and comes with a badass looking gun!

.Beastwars Tripredacus - Finally got a hold of a new one after my little brother "inherited" my old one found in a box. The three seperate robots are cool looking by themselves, but when combined...

.Starwars/Transformer Commander Cody - An actually good Starwars Transformer!

Beastwars Clawjaw, or whatever that basic crab's name was - He looks cool in both modes...

.ROTF Ejector - Once I get him, of course...

You can tell by the last one that I don't own a lot of Transformers anymore...:(
Most of my recent purchases get either sold away because they just aren't good, get broken because of weak durability, or get "inherited". I swear, my movie Blackout snapped in half!

I guess I rambled a bit at the end...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bountyhunter
Protoform

Post by Bountyhunter »

I am a fan of G1 characters that may have influenced my list a little.

G1 Wheeljack: Hey it's Wheeljack, they still haven't made a classic figure
yet and he is one of my favorite characters.

Classic/Universe Brawn: Finally a Brawn who looks like Brawn.

MP Optimus Prime: best figure ever

MP Megatron: Awesome robot mode and gun mode, only complaint is it
can take an hour to transformer if you are not careful

Classic/Universe Hound: Best of the line by far.

G1 Omega Supreme: Favorite figure as a kid.

Classics/Universe Starscream: Best Starscream I have ever seen.

Alternator Mirage: In a great line Mirage really stood out.

RoTF (Human) Bumblebee: Best Bumblebee made.

Movie Ironhide: Beautifully done.

Honorable Meantions would go to G1 Tracks, Prowl, Soundwave, Hound, Cliffjumper, Mirage, Sideswipe, Jetfire, Scrapper, Armada Unicron, Classics, the rest of the freakin line and most alternators except for Swerve and Rollbar.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Only ten? That's unpossible (Simpsons, Ralph). Not in a particular order, all toys I actually have -> partly nostalgic list.

G1 Snaptrap (seacon) - Surprisingly well articulated combiner leader, funny (borderline ridiculous) turtle mode amuses me. Plus points for being a part of combiner.

G2 Archforce (aka Hero Megatron) - "Megatron" finally done right, pity about the colours. Archforce because it has no "Megatron rules" sticker.

G2 Dreadwing & Smokescreen - The figure(s) itself is a very nice work of engineering, but the memories of hunting parts to complete mine affect the place on the list.

BW Tripredacus (Sea Clamp, Cicadacon, Ramhorn) - Partly nostalgic reason, as it was my first BW toy. Beautiful engineering, challenging transformations, a bit unusual beast modes, great robot modes. Also like the BWII recolour, but prefer the original.

TM Tarantulas - About everything works with this toy. It's fun to play with, just the right balance between fun and challenging transformation, great molding and colours, nicely creepy looking. I like also the transmetal beast mode, but it's mostly displayed in robot mode. Motorcycle mode is stupid though.

TM2 Megatron - Impressive looking red dragon. :o Robot mode suffers from odd hand, but otherwise excellent toy. One of my most sought after toys.

BW Neo Guiledart - There was to be at least one dinosaur mold on this list, and Guiledart it is. Triceradon mode is very nice, and robot mode manages to be even better. Good articulation, nice transformation, "dead mode" is just... perfect addition to great toy.

RiD Prowl - I really enjoyed RiD toys on the whole, but it's quite hard to pick one for the list. Most toys had some irritating things, but with Prowl mold Takara got it right. One day I'd like to get the original Japanese version as well.

Alt Skids - Hard to explain. Something about the toy keeps me interested. Could be also that I always wanted a Skids toy as a kid. ;)

Cla - Bumblebee. Deserves to be on the list. IMO the beast mold from a great line. No useless gimmicks, just a excellent little toy. Still missing the later Classic/Universe toys though.

--

These were removed as I trimmed down the list to just ten. Some other day the list could be very different.

Diaclone Robocolt (aka Browning)
G1 Soundwave
G1 Hungrr
G1 Doubledealer (powermaster)
G1 Quake (targetmaster)
BW Optimus Primal
BW Inferno
BW 10th Anniversary Waspinator :D
TM Megatron
BW Metals Rampage (um... the psychotic grab, different name in Japan?)
TM Optimal Optimus
Fuz Quickstrike
BM Obsidian
RiD Air Attack Optimus Primal (in practice BM OP done right)
Movie Stockade
Classic Optimus Prime (voyager)
Universe (aka Classic) Sunstreaker/Sideswipe mold
Ani Lockdown
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Right, in no order of preference here's my go at narrowing it down to ten.

BW StampyHe's just great. A bunny Transformer. And I love the expression on his face. I've quite a thing for the asymmetrical tfs on the whole.

TM Optimus PrimalBecause it's a surfboarding gorrila. It was also my first toy purchase as an adult.

Robotmasters Rijie/MirageJust a great looking and nicely poseable update of a G1 toy I liked but never owned.

G1 ErectorPartly because or the hilarious name, partly because it was a childhood fave.

BW PolarclawHe has a bat-launcher, and that's all the reason I need.

BM Nightslash CheetorWell, any of you who knows me knows that one of these guys had to be on here, and Nightslash just edges the other moulds out.

G1 QuakeA favourite in spite of the problem with the catch the keeps the legs together in vehicle mode being prone to snapping.Still, 3 guns.

God GinraiLooks awesome in the vehicle and robot modes, despite being a brick. Another one I loved but didn't own as a kid, but the fully combined Japanese version knocks it up a notch. Also, I like the Nebulon partners as toy gimmicks.

TM Depth Charge Great Looking toy. Simple as.

Henkei BumblebeeI love bumblebee like everyone else. And this is probably the best version, though I'll always have a soft spot for the original.

A lot of BW/BM stuff on there. Because for me it was the best line.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

I feel tricked. There are no boobs here. You lied to me Cliffjumper. You lied. )=
Sades

Post by Sades »

It's not his fault you were moronic enough to think that there were actually boobs.

[nosenseofhumourRAAAAAWRSNARLSLAGGRIMLOCK]