Do the cartoons/comics/movies change your opinion of the toys?

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Notabot

Do the cartoons/comics/movies change your opinion of the toys?

Post by Notabot »

I've noticed lately that I'm swayed a little more in my opinions of toys based on characters in the movies/shows. When Universe Cheetor came out, I readily passed on him and had no interest. Now that I'm into the Beast Wars series, I'm almost regretting it. I had Universe Dinobot for a few weeks, and he was ok, but once I started watching the show, I really like the toy.

On the flip side, despite all the good reviews of Skids and Mudflap, their characterization has completely turned me off from the toys, and I'm really not even tempted to buy them. (Edit: I just realized that both of those names have some scatological connotations. How slow am I?)

Anyone else finding themselves impressionable in this way?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yep - having a DVD player in my study has meant I've had the live-action films on a loop, and it's pushed me towards hunting down the toy versions of the guys who made a positive impression. Not had it happen too much with other TFs, though, mainly because often the toy doesn't really resemble the character (e.g. G1 Nightbeat - who I did buy, but swiftly moved on). Pretty much agree on Skids and Mudflap, but for a variety of reasons - they didn't bug me exactly, but they didn't impress me enough to fork out £12 apiece, and the toys being ugly in both modes and reputedly very overengineered all combines to put me off.

I can like a toy more if it's got a great character, but the toy's sort of got to meet this halfway - I won't be hunting down '86 Magnus and Galvatron however many times I re-read their epic turns in the UK comic. For media-based imprinting, size helps, which is why G1 never gets me - I did at one point have all the toy Wreckers, and they look preposterous put together. The live-action Autobots, though? They look fairly close to having just walked off the screen to my shelf.

I do have it with some anime, though - I bought the Gundam Hyaku Shikibecause it was a Chogokin, and thought it was alright. Then watched the series all the way through, and now it's one of my favourites. And it's happened with most Soul of Chogokins I've bought - I get them because they're neat figures, but enjoying whatever cartoons they're taken from adds an extra layer or two on (I possibly wouldn't love the Ideon quite so much if it didn't have the best damn cartoon of all time to go with it).
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

A bit. A good mould will attract. A good character with a lacking mould might attract. Best case scenario is the two coinciding... and also having two strong moulds.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Notabot wrote: When Universe Cheetor came out, I readily passed on him and had no interest. Now that I'm into the Beast Wars series, I'm almost regretting it.
Don't. The universe figure is junk; just get the original.
Gouki

Post by Gouki »

Clay wrote:Don't. The universe figure is junk; just get the original.
You mean the Transmetal, right?
"Give into the Demon inside... Shun Goku Sattsu!"
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

To an extent, it has. The comics are why I got Roadbuster and Bludgeon.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Clay wrote:Don't. The universe figure is junk; just get the original.
I had a sealed envelope near my keyboard that I wrote when I made my original post. Inside was a note which said, "Clay will tell you not to bother with Universe Cheetor." :) I actually have an original Cheetor, but he's missing his weapons, which unfortunately means he's a cheetah with ridiculous gaps. I tried to convince myself he was battle damaged, but those are critical wounds.
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

It's been known to happen. I ended up getting a complete Thunderwing (for a STEAL of $45.00) after reading him in the comics years ago. Recently, the ROTF multiplayer mode sold me on getting a Sideways and painting up his red parts, even though I was holding off to get the Dead End version. (I ended up getting both)

ROTF Prime was something I admired, but was planning on passing for the same reason as I have with most of his other incarnations (too many Primes). But seeing the movie twice sold me on him too.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I do tend to buy figures basedon their actions in the cartoon or movies, and then there are the few that I buythat are non-canon but i like the mold of any way.
Destruction is my specialty
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I'm not rolling in transformers cash so if I'm spending a lot, its got to be a character I like.
Like the ROTF leader Optimus Prime- even if the mould wasn't awesome, I'd want an Optimus with two swords who could "TAKE YOU ALL ON!"