RotF Sideways

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Cliffjumper

RotF Sideways

Post by Cliffjumper »

Damn, my parents picked me up one of these as a present, but mine's defective - instead of feet, there are just these two tiny little notches to support the figure :(
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Perhaps he's SO AWESOME that he doesn't need feet?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Aye, dainty little toesies aside he's actually not bad, in that "won't put it down for a week, then will never pick it up again" Transformers way. Trying to resist going mad on movie toys at the moment, and largely failing (just got '07 Ironhide and '74 Bumblebee; desperately trying not to buy Sideswipe, Ratchet and Jolt).
Clay

Post by Clay »

Don't bother with Ratchet.

Otherwise I'll just say, "I told you so" later.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

But he's awesome in the film :( He needs to hang around with Ironhide and set up his mate's best lines.

Why do I always decide to recreate the movie's cast just as they start to disappear from the shelves?

Also, have they done a decent Prime yet? Possibly one that is (to the naked eye) to scale with the aforementioned lot?
Clay

Post by Clay »

Leader #2 is a chore the first couple of times you switch it, but it's spot-on in either form.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Groovy... severely tempted by that. How is he size-wise compared to Ironhide?
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

He's bigger than the first movie's Prime, who's bigger than Ironhide...so they should still look fairly in scale.

Ratchet's not too bad a figure [says the guy who sold him last year], but he does look a bit odd when next to his other movie-mates. There's a deluxe version coming out that shouldn't be as bad.
Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

Why trying to not buy Swipey?? He's great... And if you're going to recreate movie scenes, you'll need him for cutting your poor feet-missing Sideways in half and then saying; Damn, I'm good!
Clay

Post by Clay »

Cliffjumper wrote:Groovy... severely tempted by that. How is he size-wise compared to Ironhide?
Suitably larger.
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

Yeah, he's way up there in size. But he is the best match for Movie Prime. They really went out of their way to redesign the guy to make him look just like his on-screen counterpart. I had no intentions of getting one at first ("Too Many Primes" syndrome), but I caved and bought him. He really is a great figure--especially once you get used to his transformation.

Although I'd recommend taking the batteries out. His "I am Optimus Prime!" Automorph Mech-Alive activation tends to trigger the whole time you're transforming him.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

He doesn't say "I'll take you all on!"? Awww :(

Sadly he seems to be a lot of money, a bit more than I'm necessarily willing to gamble on a Hasbro/Takara toy. I trust Bandai on that sort of amount, but not really Transformers... I might try to find one in the stores to have a look at before I take the plunge...
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

I am not sure about the deluxe version, as I did not pick it up. The Human Alliance one looks good, but I have no plans to pick it up either.

I think that is cool your folks picked a TF for you for your present. I love my mom, but she always gets me some weird gift like collectible toy cars. I tried to explain to her that I do not collect toy cars, but TFs (which she used to buy me as a kid). This year she gave me a really cool art book, and I love it.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I nearly bought ROTF Ravage yesterday. But I didn't because I figured that four steaks was a far more practical thing to spend the cash on.

I'm cool with it.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Savannahtron wrote: I think that is cool your folks picked a TF for you for your present. I love my mom, but she always gets me some weird gift like collectible toy cars. I tried to explain to her that I do not collect toy cars, but TFs (which she used to buy me as a kid). This year she gave me a really cool art book, and I love it.
The secret is to smoke.

"Do you want anything from America?"
"Oh, yeh, get me some duty free cigarettes please"
"No, you know we don't like you smoking. Something else."
"ROTF Sideways?"
"Well, it's better than cigarettes..."
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Okay, got Sideswipe and Bumblebee...

Sideswipe is pretty cool, though once again feet are a problem - no point in putting that many joints in the legs if the thing's prone to unbalancing. Plus the face just looks unpainted... Plus side he has giant kid-safe scissors on his arms.

Bumblebee... I probably wouldn't have bought if I realised he permanently has a gun instead of a right hand (one of those ones with a comical 'energy' missile to boot). Not sure if I'm just out of practice (had the first '08 deluxe until about a year ago, then sold it for £30) or if it's the usual shitty instructions or just complete design failure, but the back end of the car doesn't seem to go together all that well. And the waist seems really, really loose.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Cliffjumper wrote:Sideswipe is pretty cool, though once again feet are a problem - no point in putting that many joints in the legs if the thing's prone to unbalancing. Plus the face just looks unpainted... Plus side he has giant kid-safe scissors on his arms.
If you rotate the feet around 180 degrees so that the backs become the toes, he stands up like 90% better.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Oooh, good tip! He's really growing on me, actually, nifty fig. Now, if only Sideways split down the middle...

How big is Leader Brawl compared to this lot? I think I need a fight scene, but most of the Decepticon figures are shite - is toy Brawl a big bruiser compared to this lot?

Oh, UKers might want to note that Sainsburys have RotF Superion for £15, which is apparently half price. Still a bit much for three UT figures for me, but there's a heads-up for anyone with less taste :)
Clay

Post by Clay »

Leader Brawl? He's the same scale as the Concept Bumblebee, at around 1/36. I haven't been as interested with the second movie stuff to figure out scales, but I'd guess he's still about right stacked against deluxe cars.

I've mellowed on the figure since I wrote that review, but it's still neat enough to hang around in a box in the closet, if not enough to actually stay on the shelf.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Awesome, that's what I'm after, if I can find one at a decent price... Probably going to skip Prime - I'd have to buy Megatron, Starscream and Grindor as well... Bought Jolt and Jazz on ebay. Jolt I'm just weirdly fascinated by - anyone expecting him to even be in the third one? He's like the Movieverse answer to G1 Skids. And Jazz seems to be very cheap, which sort of softens the blow...

I would be tempted by Bonecrusher, but I'm guessing him being Deluxe maximum means he's miles out of scale with the others, right? Bad move, I'd be all over a Voyager Bonecrusher. I'd go for Blackout, but he seems to be pricey.

With Ratchet, if I was to take the plunge despite all warnings, which one is more accurate - the first one or the RotF one? Pictures of both seem to be wildly different colours ranging from Constructicon green through to yellow, but I'm guessing the tone used just isn't very photogenic...

Got my groove back with Bumblebee too, though that gun arm is a real bad move both from an aesthetic and design point of view. I also had to cut a couple of tabs off so the back end would fit together securely - this is why I'm very hesitant to spend more than £20 on a figure from the range...