"Revenge of the Fallen" Toys (Opinions)

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
borg72

Post by borg72 »

Deluxe swipe/ways (who will forever be twinned in my head). both awesome. utter, utter awesome. sideswipe is a sod to stand without partially breaking the feet apart again, and sideways is a touch back-heavy (though thats more to do with tiny feet than excessive kibble). both are easier than i imagined to get back into alt mode.

scout ransack - think £8 is pushing hasbro's luck a little, and is enough of a price hike to put me off most of the scouts, who i was only mildly interested in anyway, but ransack is a definate must-have for a variety of reasons; for me its my love of IDW's HoS comic. the only annoyance is that most of the joints are very tiny, and anything that can pop off, will, with excess pressure.

legends optimus and jetfire - saw these at the supermarket and couldn't say no. prime is much better than the first, and jetfire is brilliant given the size. the combined mode (no instructions or reference pic included anywhere in either package) is essentially a jet-mode jetfire stuck to the back of robot mode prime, nose down. splay out the engines and wings a little bit, and you're pretty much there. after seeing the concept art for the movie, i'd say this is no less accurate than the leader-class backpack!
S_Windell
Protoform

Post by S_Windell »

numbat wrote:
SPOILER! (select to read)
Chromia comes with a stand, does she not? The inclusion of a stand would have been helpful, but is only a minor suggestion for what is a great figure.
I wonder if that same one would work for Sideswipe? I may pick up that one on a whim, but it certainly wouldn't be one I'd display in the room. It'd end up in one of the storage boxes. But the stand I'd keep for Sideswipe! BTW, I am just curious as to why that was spoiler tagged? Is it because the toy is not out yet?

I picked up Sideswipe last Saturday and the WM I picked it up at, the only store I've really checked so far, didn't have much to choose from. But I went back yesterday and I think I heard my wallet scream for mercy! They have everything! Seriously, I honestly think it was the biggest TF display I'd ever seen in a dept. store. They're coming out with a LOT for this movie!

Thankfully much of it is either pass or may get one later stuff. I got Scouts Ransack and Rollbar. Ransack has a hip, somewhat original alt mode and I've heard good things. Yeah, he's pretty decent. I only got Rollbar because he reminds me of a Red Bull delivery van. I also picked up Robot Replicas Ratchet- no complaints there! Except for maybe the price, it was a dollar more than the deluxes. But being a dollar or two overpriced, imo, is not worth regretting NOT getting later. (Now watch it hit the clearance aisle...)

The prices on the Legends class has dropped, five bucks, and I was tempted to get a few of them. Specifically Bumblebee, Prime, and Jetfire. And was surprised to see a new redeco of Legends Ratchet- my favorite character from the first movie, this one's got a tan tone. Really milking this mold.
numbat

Post by numbat »

S_Windell wrote:was surprised to see a new redeco of Legends Ratchet- my favorite character from the first movie, this one's got a tan tone. Really milking this mold.
And the madness is it was the second worst Legends mould from the first film line...

But, at least Voyager Ratchet was one of the best moulds!

I'm just over-cautious with spoiler tags, I think.

Unfortunately, Legends class figures seem to be just shy of 5.00 GBP over here, which I think is totally rediculous. However, you can get a four pack bundle from Argos that works out as 3.25 each, which is pretty well equivalent to the good old Cybertron days! Yay!

:swirly:

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Transformer Kamen

Post by Transformer Kamen »

The voyager Starscream has a beautiful jet mode. It's super sleek with 0 undercarriage junk, and very little robot kibble (sadly, that kibble is is robot hands, but I'll give him a pass). The tats are pretty sweet as well.

His robot mode is a lot more accurate to the CGI model than the previous figure; his arms are more limited in motion, though. Otherwise, he pretty well kicks ass.

The transformation scheme on this guy is somewhat insane, yet, somehow, not difficult or frustrating at all! Everybody wins!
numbat

Post by numbat »

I just got through my ROTF Leader Prime, Voyager Demolishor and Deluxe Sideswipe.

I've only opened Demolishor so far, and man is that one heck of a transformation! I'm well impressed! Two fantastic modes as well!

If Demolishor is anything to go by, the ROTF figures are in a league of their own, and far surpass the original Movie line! I honestly don't know what people are moaning about! (Well, I guess for one, Demolishor takes the Bay-former design to extremes, but the toys themselves seem very well designed!) I pity the kids who buy these though (and their poor parents...).

Demolishor is just plain awesome!

I'll look forward to tackling Prime later!

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
numbat

Post by numbat »

I've just been playing around with Sideswipe, and I have been surprised by how poseable he actually is, and haven't found the same high degree of balance issues as others seem to be complaining about (although the wheels do present some limitations).

Really sweet figure though - nice transformation (and not too tricky, unlike Demolishor!), great detail, great feature (blades), and, of course, beautiful alt mode (loving the concept Stingray! Although I still prefer the Z06). I'm really glad that he's properly silver, unlike the ugly 'silver' plastic used on the first release of Movie Deluxe Jazz.

(They so need to release it in Corvette yellow though!)

Also items on eBay.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Looks like today was a day for Decepticons whose names begin with R.

Ransack. Really cool figure. I like the bi-plane mode and the wirey robot mode. The backstory about being one of the first airborne transformers works well with his alt mode. I can see him landing in the Smithsonian or some sort of museum on military history and picking this mode as being something he'd be more comfortable with.

Thanks for the recommendation guys. :up:

Rampage. Was a bit confusing at first and I was a bit dismayed by the instructions taking up the front and back of the page, but after the first time I've been able to transform him with only the minor annoyance of a part popping off here or there quickly enough. It's much simpler than it looks.

I really like his insectoid robot mode and his bulldozer mode. The jackhammer mode doesn't work too well. The piston assembly doesn't really have a propper place in dozer mode, and has popped out in robot mode a few times. In spite of this it's a solid figure, and it's more than worth the price. Added bonus since this might be the first TF I have that has a 4-legged robot mode (aside from ones like Ravage who have an animal mode for a robot mode). At least in recent memory.
Detective Barricade

Post by Detective Barricade »

Starscream- I've but one question after picking this guy up. Why the @#$# couldn't they have done this the first time?! (rhetorical) Love the Mech Alive, it's neat and, more importantly, doesn't get in the way of the figure! Complex but easy to follow transformation, and next to no kibble in jet mode. And the markings/tattoos are much better in person. The robot mode looks just like he should.

Rampage- Neat bulldozer mode, cute Jackhammer mode, odd robot mode. Unfortunately, Universe Galvatron's got nothing on this guy. He WILL pop apart on you at least once, usually going back to vehicle.

Sidswipe- Just awesome. And that description is failing badly to describe him!:eek: Once you get the hang of his feet, you'll love him.
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!
Catalyst Dragon

Post by Catalyst Dragon »

Ransack is all kinds of awesome.

His transformation is simple, but practical. He has three modes, Alt. mode, Attack mode, and bot mode. His attack mode is simply bringing his chest propeller up and unfurling the wings for flight.

His head looks like it was taken from Terminator... but with a engine block on top. His frame represents his age(according to his Bio.) perfectly. He's lanky, seaminly frail, but the toy isn't actually frail which is a plus.

Good coloration too.

Rollbar is a Redbull Truck. (not the actual Redbull emblem) but it's obvious.
His transformation is very easy. He looks pretty cool. His head dosn't really fit the movie line. He's sturdy.
All that was needed was a catalyst and the machines of war are set in motion.
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

A few mods to Breakaway turns him into an EXCELLENT figure.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Detective Barricade

Sunstreaker2 wrote:A few mods to Breakaway turns him into an EXCELLENT figure.
Such as? Come on, tell, tell! Inquiring minds want to know! (okay, maybe just me...)
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Detective Barricade wrote:Such as? Come on, tell, tell! Inquiring minds want to know! (okay, maybe just me...)
It improves the head's articulation. here's the link from Seibertron.com

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/ ... eck/16023/
"Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Movies I've seen recently:
Red
Johnny Got His Gun
A Clockwork Orange
Fight Club
Toy Story 3
Zombieland
Tenacious D The Pick of destiny
Watchmen
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

So, between Botcon and coming home, I got Sideswipe, Rampage, Knockout, and Rollbar.

Sideswipe is as cool as I thought he'd be. Still got problems with the design of his feet, but the neat little rubber 'pipe/hydraulic' parts and sliding panels when you pose him just makes the robot mode really cool.

Rampage just sold me for some reason. He's a bit of a jumble in robot mode, but there's something about him that's...fun. The kitbasher in me wants to take out the footplugs and try to get some small feet for him that can fold out of the way. But other than that, he's just a lot of fun to play with. Bot and 'dozer modes look great, the overall feel of it is nice, and I love the 'treadwips.'

Knockout--absolute favorite of the scouts. Only reason I'm not getting Depthcharge is because I've seen a KO that's larger (though it doesn't have the shoulder weapons) and I'm curious to find out if it's a decent enough quality to pick THAT one up instead. And I'm holding off on Ransack--though it sounds like he's pretty neat. Anyway--knockout has just enough mixture of movie-feel and prior TF series' looks to really appeal on a different level than some of the others. I love the fact that his front wheel turns, and the gunarm is a pretty cool part of the mold. Very articulate, the only problem I have is his side panels on his legs weren't pinned through and pop off pretty easily.

Rollbar--nice little scout. Simple enough I suppose, but he definitely works. Nothing too clunky, nothing too complex. A good add-on to the soldier ranks.

Off note: I didn't pick up Leader Prime (too...many...Primes!...Ugh...) but seeing him personally, he looks like they really hit the mark. And everyone is truly talking him up. I'd just like to say that I'm glad Hasbro took steps with this guy, when they could have simply released last movie's mold all the same.
Catalyst Dragon

Post by Catalyst Dragon »

Pun-3X wrote: Knockout--absolute favorite of the scouts. Only reason I'm not getting Depthcharge is because I've seen a KO that's larger (though it doesn't have the shoulder weapons) and I'm curious to find out if it's a decent enough quality to pick THAT one up instead. And I'm holding off on Ransack--though it sounds like he's pretty neat. Anyway--knockout has just enough mixture of movie-feel and prior TF series' looks to really appeal on a different level than some of the others. I love the fact that his front wheel turns, and the gunarm is a pretty cool part of the mold. Very articulate, the only problem I have is his side panels on his legs weren't pinned through and pop off pretty easily.
I like Knock Out quite a bit as well, although I'd have to say Ransack is my favorite of the scouts. I actually like that Knock Outs leg panels come off, in fact, I usually take them off during transformation(to cycle) and replace them once the legs are in place.
Only down side is that when I got mine out of the box his front tire(that sit's on his back in bot mode) had some green gunk on it... probably dried paint.
All that was needed was a catalyst and the machines of war are set in motion.
borg72

Post by borg72 »

despite totally not being in a position to splurge right now I did and got voyager starscream. it is indeed as awesome as others have described, though i wil say that the actual toy articulation is slightly more limited than the first (but totally worth it imho). the designer was clearly on just the right side of that mad border between 'genius' and 'bonkers'

discussion with mrs B (middle school teacher) leads me to the conclusion that giving this to a 5 year old (yes, its labelled as '5+') will result in a broken toy and an out of pocket parent. though thats true of most of the more complex transformers these days
numbat

Post by numbat »

borg72 wrote: discussion with mrs B (middle school teacher) leads me to the conclusion that giving this to a 5 year old (yes, its labelled as '5+') will result in a broken toy and an out of pocket parent. though thats true of most of the more complex transformers these days
Demolishor is the same in that respect - and I doubt any kid would really manage it, instructions or no. Still, very nifty!

Also items on eBay.
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

Can Demolishor...move its shoulders?

It needs the right articulation for knocking planes out of the sky!
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

Not sure...I bought the Soundwave toy, but I am not so sure about what I have seen from wave 1. I guess I'll go back to buying G1 stuff again, or G1 rehashed...
Detective Barricade

Sunstreaker2 wrote:Can Demolishor...move its shoulders?

It needs the right articulation for knocking planes out of the sky!
Yes and no. He can move his shoulders, but at the same time, his bucket hands are all that keep him upright on his wheel. To me it seems Demolishor and Rampage at least are really all about the :wtf: factor. If a unicycle of DOOM or a jackhammer/pogo stick of DOOM don't appeal to you, you should skip them.
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

Detective Barricade wrote:Yes and no. He can move his shoulders, but at the same time, his bucket hands are all that keep him upright on his wheel. To me it seems Demolishor and Rampage at least are really all about the :wtf: factor. If a unicycle of DOOM or a jackhammer/pogo stick of DOOM don't appeal to you, you should skip them.
Well, duh...I know he won't be able to stay up.

But the movement itself is what matters.