[CUSTOM] Universe Grapple

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
frenzy_rumble
Protoform

Universe Grapple

Post by frenzy_rumble »

Finally got around to finishing this guy up.
He started as a Universe Inferno (awesome figure) I started by replacing the hands with Alternator hands. Next up was finding a proper crane. I used Mudflap (awesome for parts and ratcheting joints) The crane attaches to his back with a small clip and back up rare earth magnets. It attached the same fashion to the alt mode. I made the gun for his left arm more easily removable.

The fun started getting out of control when I added the LED lights. I removed the interior of the cabin to accommodate the power supply, wiring, etc. Then removed the lights up top, drilling small holes where the 3mm LED bulbs stick up out of. There's a button on his side window which controls these lights. There are 3 settings, independent flashing, in sync flashing, and always on.

The bulbs are red, and I painted the interior of the light fixtures with translucent red also.

I painted Grapple with an enamel yellow/orange. 2 thin air brushed coats, not as difficult as I thought. I wanted Grapple to be more modern looking so I steered away from the 'over the edge' orange of his original. I top coated the yellow/orange with a thin coat of metallic "Amber yellow" (awesome color) then final coated with "tequila sunrise" lacquer from House of Kolors. This color actully is pearl/iridescent. In person, if you were to look at this paint close up, you can see a slight alteration of the hue from certain angles.

A video demonstrating the lights in action can be seen here:
I suck at creating videos, and unsure how to change the dark gray to black on his borders, also, the compression seemed to make him very orange :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZJIJ6Hv8fA

or here:

grapple on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Hell yes. I'm glad someone finally did this. Great work Fremble.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Yeah, awesome. Did you keep the laser blade thing from Mudflap?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

And they will likely come up with a Repaint in the Universe line at SOME point (next batch/season/year/etc.) But I doubt it'll look anywhere near as good as this one. Both of your repaints of that mold look terrific.

I love how your repaints (ESPECIALLY Inferno) have that coloring and shading that seems to take the CG gaussian blur and shading Hasbro shops its prototype toy images with and brings them to life. I always see the images and think some of them are touched up because of it (even though I know they are not). Absolutely clean paint apps--I would love to see some of them in real life someday. :)

Are you planning on bringing anything to Pasadena Botcon? (I should probably ask if you're planning to attend...)
frenzy_rumble
Protoform

Post by frenzy_rumble »

Bonus Item #2 added to auction:
Universe Hoist

Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

That Hoist is pretty cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

That Hoist is kick arse. What made you decide on the Hound mold instead of a pickup one?
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
wyze2099
Protoform

Post by wyze2099 »

Both figures are awesome. Still, every time I look at Hoist, I can't help but see Swindle. Which is cool too.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Beautiful work, both of them.
Hoist's weaponry are kickass.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Thoroughly impressed, as usual with your work. Grapple is frickin' awesome!!! :up:
Bountyhunter
Protoform

Post by Bountyhunter »

Great work!!! do you use an airbrush? I see no sign of brush strokes. Color choice is amazing. One of the better Kitbash/Repaints I have seen.