Stepper!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Gouki wrote:Oh, man. I totally forgot every Transformers has to be approved by Americans. Forget those other countries.
We got "Re-Issues" of Stepper here in the USA by the container load. It was figure no one here asked for and got anyways.

I wasn't making any sort of "usa gr8, rest of the world sux" kind of comment. You really need to mellow out.
Come on and wind me up.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

another tf fan wrote:It was figure no one here asked for
:citation:
Cyberstrike nTo wrote:I like it and I like the new name "Ricochet" very G1 Targetmaster and cool sounding.

:cool:
RID Scourge wrote:I hope they release Artfire. It's be a shame if they didn't.

I hope they have him at TRU this week.
BigMaki wrote:Ah. So he gets the original shoulder launcher, original rifle, targetmaster gun and shoulder mount for the TM. Pretty cool deal.
The Dark Optimus Prime wrote:i like how its the same pant job they gave it back in 87 but with more weapons i think its a good toy and will most likely buy it if i come across it
Windrazor wrote:I just ran across that link a couple days ago from visiting Wonko's page and was like.. SWEET!!!! Here it was, just rumor that Takara may or may not be issuing it, but that some unauthorized seller was putting them out on eBay, but now we can say its officially coming out from Hasbro. I thought Jazz was okay.. but theres just something about Stepper/Ricochet that I like better.. maybe its the black.. heh heh heh.. I'll be getting it.. fashure like rizzle dizzle.. da great schnizzle sizzle..
Alpha Trion wrote:http://tformers.com/article.php?sid=2804&mode=flat

I would love to see a Stepper reissue, as I just know one of these days I'm going to become rich, and end up spending all my newfound money on ridiculously rare guys like Stepper.
As far as I can recall, those are American posters.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Indeed. Never actually saw him at TRU. Luckily I managed to get the Tak reissue on sale a little later.
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Uhg, fine, i'll issue my retraction of all but my initial sentiments...

F-Stepper. and alt ricochet. ugly.

and my only corraborating evidence for my opinion that no one wated stepper was the stack of 3 still at tacoma TRU sitting there for over 4 years. So those posters may have liked the Idea of stepper, but as far as i see no one actually bought it.
Come on and wind me up.
Turbo 07

Post by Turbo 07 »

Cliffjumper wrote:Fashions happen for a reason... if G1 (as a toyline, and as multi-media) wasn't so filled with awful mistakes, people wouldn't have much to complain about.
Hard to believe this is coming from somebody who purports to like GoBots and Machine Robo. Afterall, by the logic you're espousing, popular opinion has surely proven that both were terrible. Sort of funny if you see any similarities to the wildly popular TF Animated (a real double standard if you ask me).

No, really, what's happened is that fans just can't appreciate anything for what it is. Last year's hot figures are next year's auction clutter. I can only imagine what revolving door collectors think of all the reissues of G1 (and only G1) over the years.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Eh? Machine Robo has a mixed output, I don't think I've ever claimed otherwise. For every Tail Pipe there's a Fly Trap, for every Royal-T there's a Leader-1, for every Mini Cooper Robo there's a 3-Wheel Buggy Robo. Percentage wise the line doesn't do a lot better, and around 1986 the quality nosedives (and unlike Transformers, there really aren't many triumphs hidden away later on). When MR works well, its' designs are often better, especially for smaller figures, but I don't think I've ever claimed the line is perfection.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Machine Robo is far from perfection. Mugenbine, on the other hand...

I actually don't see why some people hate stepper so much. What's so ugly about it? The Black, of the flames?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Lots and lots of people wanted a TM Stepper back in the day, due to his until then nigh-exclusive status as a japanese targetmaster that was a repaint of a G1 figure.

Then whoever carried him passed over that 40 USD or whatever price tag and people scurried away, not wanting to pay more than 9.99.

Although, to be fair, the japanese re-issues cost like 35 USD before shipping, nobody complained about them.

With that being said, I actually like the deco of Stepper and would have liked a Binaltech version of it in the RX-8 mould, not the Imprezza.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Treadshot A1 wrote:I actually don't see why some people hate stepper so much. What's so ugly about it? The Black, of the flames?
It's the embodiment of "Takara-Tacky" I think. Black repaint + gold chrome + awful decals, all multiplied by a figure that didn't really suit it anyway, and then to the power of an added gimmick that's totally out of place.

And, before the reissue, absurdly expensive on top of all of that.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, it just doesn't gel. The stickers just do not look right on the shape of the car, as the makeup of the mould means they're really unnatural-looking. It looks too much like a plain black car with a last minute "God, best make this more interesting" idea slapped on.

I'm not ecstatic about the Jazz mould, TBH - it's one of my least favourite Autobot cars, just too many little bits wrong with it. Stepper also looks surprisingly childish compared to the other Diaclone cars - it's a very post-Movie scheme on a very pre-Movie figure. The mould is just ill-suited to the Targetmaster thing as well - I'd guess Artfire works better due to the robot (crucially the arms) being much larger... I'd probably have gone with Sunstreaker or Wheeljack, actually, as the larger arms and sturdy cockpits would have made better TM mounting points. Plus Wheeljack's a lot more fun.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Well, there are worse molds to give a Targetmaster companion to.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Clay

Post by Clay »

Cliffjumper wrote:I'd probably have gone with Sunstreaker or Wheeljack, actually, as the larger arms and sturdy cockpits would have made better TM mounting points. Plus Wheeljack's a lot more fun.
Hmm. Were those two still up-to-snuff at the time Stepper originally came out? 1988 or so?

Come to think of it, it would have made more sense to throw the Targetmaster in with Soundblaster. It could fit in the shoulder mount and not look horribly over sized when hand-held...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Clay wrote:Hmm. Were those two still up-to-snuff at the time Stepper originally came out? 1988 or so?
Both done as Euro Classics in, what, 1990/91, so that'd be a yes. Really, though, Stepper's ahead of his time a little - it's a late-series assortment filling random recolour, and not many of those in recent lines have been that stellar. But there's a difference between something having various excuses for why it sucks, and it not actually sucking.
Come to think of it, it would have made more sense to throw the Targetmaster in with Soundblaster. It could fit in the shoulder mount and not look horribly over sized when hand-held...
Probably wouldn't have been so bad for Twincast, either, and might've made a better excuse for both of them.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

I have a Ricochet Alt. I like him since now my MP Prime has three body guards of the same mold. I originally wanted to take the Silverstreak head, take the horns off, and put it on Alt Prime and make it Springer, but sadly that will have to wait for a bit until I have more tools and more knowledge on how to do things, and time.. The only complaint I had of Ricochet as an Alternator, besides decals, was the gun's pin was too loose so it wobbles and flops around a bit.
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
Clay

Post by Clay »

Cliffjumper wrote:Probably wouldn't have been so bad for Twincast, either, and might've made a better excuse for both of them.
Soundblaster would have been more excusable if it had originally shipped with, you know, two tapes instead of one...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Clay wrote:Soundblaster would have been more excusable if it had originally shipped with, you know, two tapes instead of one...
Aye - Slugfest and Overkill would have been sensible.

Mind, I'm just bitter the Twincast reissue didn't have Graphy and Noise with it. I still want Graphy so bad...
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Cliffjumper wrote: I still want Graphy so bad...
You're not the only one. Too bad they gor for absurd prices these days, if they're even on sale.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]