The addiction takes hold pretty quick!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
SpectorDave
Protoform

The addiction takes hold pretty quick!

Post by SpectorDave »

As mentioned in a previous thread i recently decided to collect TF's figures as i had became a massive fan again. Only figures i ever had was when i was young and they were all well played with.

My plan was to collect all the movie legends range as it was the 2007 was what got me back into the TF's then move on to the animated series figures. I still need to get a hold of ironhide, barricade, brawl, and scorpanok after i ordered starscream yesterday and bonecrusher this morning to add to the ones i already have.

HOWEVER.....

After i finished my shift today i noticed that we stocked the animated figures and i ended up buying voyager bulkhead, then I went into town and ended up buying deluxe prowl THEN when i got home i ordered deluxe bumblebee cause he is my girlfriends favorite. So in the last two days i have ordered 3 figures and bought 2 when i intended on buying none!
Catalyst Dragon

Post by Catalyst Dragon »

It happens, this last friday I wasn't suppose to buy anything Transformer, but ended up getting Classics Universe Galvatron and Blaster...then when I got home I got on here, learned BBTS was having a sale, and ended up buying Masterpiece Megatron!

Then to make matters worse a friend asked me to use my card for him to get Animated Lockdown (he wanted him just so he would have one I don't...lol)
and then I decided to get Animated Soundwave to take advantage of one shipping cost!

So yeah...your not the only one.
All that was needed was a catalyst and the machines of war are set in motion.
EmFalcon88
Protoform

Post by EmFalcon88 »

Its amazing how quickly you can fall back into the Transformer shopping habit, but I suppose that there are worse things. I do sometimes feel as though I'm working to support my Transformers though.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Yep, that has gripped me too. If it wasn't for the darn Universe toys, I'd have a lot more cash right now. I'm a sucker.
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

Oddly enough, I'm more focused on picking up an RID Side Burn I saw at a little store that sells old toys, than getting anything new. Guess I'm just a sucker for old toys I don't own yet. :P
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I didn't think I'd be getting many of the Animated figures, but I'm actually liking them a bit more than the TFU offerings (of the ~5 TFU I've bought I've only really liked Sunstreaker and Silverbolt (Oh and NP, but he uses a classics mold so I'm not really counting him in TFU propper. EDIT: With animated I've picked up ~10, and 3-4 have really only been meh. Ratio's only slightly higher, but they've succeeded to catch my eye a whole lot more).
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

What kind of addiction does everyone have? I usually try to get one of each character, so my collection runs through Movie and Classics/Universe, so for example I have Ironhide from the movie, so I won't get him in the Universe line. Do you guys pick up more than one of the same character? Or try to keep it to one character for each TF?
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Whatever catches my eye. I really need to start slimming down my collection though.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

I told myself yesterday I wouldn't buy a single transformer, and then Blaster caught my eye. Luckily the GF was there and she insisted on getting it for me. I ain't letting this one go, no sir.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
numbat

Post by numbat »

I pick up what I like - and that is often a character I have from a previous line (erm, I have one or two Primes / Convoys... Anyone else have a couple?).

I tend to buy small figures (Legends, WST, Spychangers etc.), and I very much enjoy the odd Masterpiece (I love Convoy and Megs), and get the odd other larger figure that catches my eye. I got quite a lot of the Movie line, as I really dig the designs. I've not got a single Animated figure, and it's not even sure I'll pick up the Legends, as, although I appreciate the great designs, I hate the style. Just my taste.

I do have a good few Classics, and have Universe Sunstreaker, but my collection is being whittled down again just now, and I'm not likely to buy many larger figures in the near future (although am awaiting Classics Magnus Armour! Yay!). I expect that'll change come Movie 2.

I find myself less and less eager to buy larger TFs, though. But I do end up paying larger sums for older and unusual small TFs. It's partly a space issue, and partly because I really do enjoy the wee guys more!

:)

TFs are hardly a large part of my outgoings though, and I don't earn much (I'm an ecologist - we're all chumps and are lucky / happy to get paid at all, lol!). That probably keeps my TF buying at bay...

;)

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
numbat

Post by numbat »

secretcode wrote:I told myself yesterday I wouldn't buy a single transformer, and then Blaster caught my eye. Luckily the GF was there and she insisted on getting it for me. I ain't letting this one go, no sir.
And, again, wow...

So many folks seem to have such TF supportive partners...

My wife still hates them, lol!

(It's an uphill struggle - sometimes win some ground - more often lose it...)

Another and probably stronger reason I don't buy that many - I have to account for it!

:lol:

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

She is oddly supportive of it, which scares the shit out of me. She is currently in love with Classics BB...

I'm prolly going to have to get the three pack if I see it. T_T
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

My wife is supportive in a double-edge sword sort of way. She supports the hobby (buys them for me on birthdays and such), but also when I want to get new ones, she asks two questions: 1) Do you need another one? 2) Where are you going to put that?

My addiction will continue when Hound and Inferno come out. Until then, probably no TFs. And when the new movie is out, I'll pick up the characters that I don't already have. Here's to hoping they come out with some sweet ones, and also that my bank account holds out.
numbat

Post by numbat »

ganon578 wrote:My wife is supportive in a double-edge sword sort of way. She supports the hobby (buys them for me on birthdays and such), but also when I want to get new ones, she asks two questions: 1) Do you need another one? 2) Where are you going to put that?

My addiction will continue when Hound and Inferno come out. Until then, probably no TFs. And when the new movie is out, I'll pick up the characters that I don't already have. Here's to hoping they come out with some sweet ones, and also that my bank account holds out.
Ah... My wife sometimes slackens, and I have finally got a display cabinet. She also bought me RM G1 Convoy and Masterpiece Megs at various points (big gap between). But she reverts to throwing wobblies about 'em most of the time, and I worry the negative energy / pressure has recently been increasing...

And, yeah, I doubt I'll be inclined to pick up new moulds of characters I already have unless they're at a different size class and offer something superior to the first, or are new Legends (I'll probably pick that Prime up, for instance, even though I have two versions of the original Movie Legends Prime - but that's me and wee TFs for you!). I'm looking forward to
SPOILER! (select to read)
Jetfire
, and am hoping he's huge! And a Leader Starscream would be good.

Also items on eBay.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Yep, collecting is addictive. I can't stand not buying TFs for more than two months...

There's a drought here.

I nearly got Camshaft. But I have more sense than that.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

All I know is, it's SUPER tough to put down a TF that you want when you have no money and promised your wife you wouldn't buy a TF for 2 months. I got Onslaught last week, and the deal was I wasn't buying one for 2 months. Then I saw Acid Storm last night, and man, that was rough setting him back on the peg. Rotten addiction.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

ganon578 wrote:All I know is, it's SUPER tough to put down a TF that you want when you have no money and promised your wife you wouldn't buy a TF for 2 months. I got Onslaught last week, and the deal was I wasn't buying one for 2 months. Then I saw Acid Storm last night, and man, that was rough setting him back on the peg. Rotten addiction.
Lucky me. It's not really tough for me to put it down; I generally don't. :lol:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Arminius
Protoform

Post by Arminius »

Until this summer I hadn't bought Transformers in over five years. The cost of vintage Generation 1 figures was just getting to be too much! This summer though I've collected nine Transformers Animated Deluxe figures and one Voyager, with plans to get several more. Also, my wife got me Universe Classics Prowl, Sunstreaker, and Octane (Tankor). I'm leaving the Animated figures MOC but I've opened up the others. They integrate well with my Generation 1 figures. Finally, Prowl looks good next to Powermaster Optimus Prime!
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

What really sucks is when you're addicted and you genuinely do not have any money to buy them with, when you can barely afford to feed your family and put gas in your car. Be happy that you can afford anything, or that your wives support your hobby at all.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

When you don't have money to buy them, TFarchive is our friend. Costs $0, cept for internet connection fees. :up:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]