POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I prefer Firefly and Alpha Bravo as arms and Skydive and Air Raid as legs. Makes him look like he's wearing knee high boots. Made of areoplanes.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Finally stumbled across a CW Air Raid, so now my Superion is made up of 5 flying vehicles, instead of 3 jets, a helicopter, and a F1 racer.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

...some of my most recent purchases have included the very fine MP Ultra Magnus, but for pure dollar value the combiner wars stunticons have been all smiles.

Dead End, Breakdown and Dragstrip, specifically.

Each has great car modes, full articulation suites and wonderful robot modes with intricate head sculpts.

I also have been impressed with combiner wars leader class G1 Megatron.

The transformation is simple, fun and intuitive.

The full scale paint scheme is rather un-Hasbro-like.

The head is excellent.

I'm really loving the mainline TFs of 2015.
Come on and wind me up.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

My wife and kids got me the Transformers: Animated Complete Allspark Almanac for my birthday. It's a really great book so far. Neat to see all the characters (even the really, really minor and planned-but-never-appeared ones), as well as some of the concept art and behind-the-scenes stories. It makes me remember how great Animated was, but also a little sad that it didn't get to continue on. They had some awesome stuff planned for season 4.
The thing I really take away from the book is that they had a lot of people from the top down who really enjoyed doing TF:A and actually put a lot of thought and care into it all.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Got CW Megatron. There were a couple of disappointing bits, specifically the legs. Why can't there be a G1-style Megatron that doesn't have chicken legs or something? His legs look fine from the outside, but in posing him it becomes incredibly apparent that his legs are mostly hollow.

Was pleased to discover that it is possible to jury rig a reissue Megatron beam flail so that Leader Megatron can use it. That was a pleasant discovery, and it looks really good.

EDIT: I opted to trim off the sides of the beam flail, which allows him to actually hold it in the underside of his fist. As a result, the panel on his arm closes properly over it, making it look damn near perfect. If you have a reissue Megatron, and don't mind clipping off a couple of bits, I recommend this, as it really adds to the look of the toy.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Dead Man Wade wrote: EDIT: I opted to trim off the sides of the beam flail, which allows him to actually hold it in the underside of his fist. As a result, the panel on his arm closes properly over it, making it look damn near perfect. If you have a reissue Megatron, and don't mind clipping off a couple of bits, I recommend this, as it really adds to the look of the toy.
Ooh, sounds good. Got any photos you can post?
Wreck and Rule!
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Due to my phone being on its last legs, and my wife's iPad being argumentative about uploading them, some low-res photos are on this boilerplate Tumblr that I started out of desperation.

http://deadmanwade1982.tumblr.com

The sides kept getting in the way, and so they had to be trimmed off completely. Since the clip portion isn't visible, the cut wasn't overly neat, just serviceable.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Knightdramon wrote: MP Star Saber: Another hmmm. Too much fuss [although less than Exhaust!]. I can see that the designer wanted to put EVERYTHING into him--on interviews he had stated that a Star Saber figure is what he wanted to do forever. Can't say I'm into any of the modes more than the others, big robot mode is too clunky and cannot hold any weapon besides the short hilt saber, his elbow joints are too lose and he can't hold the shield, and the little robot has classics astrotrain legs.

Hmmm. Favourite MPs for me are still Magnus and Rodimus. Hmm.

EDIT: Star Saber handles a bit better, and I discovered that his shoulders can pop out to do that two handed pose with the sword. Joints are a bit too lose [especially arms] for that size, and his thigh ratchets have too much of a give between the clicks. I keep finding new tabs and locks. Weapon holding is insanely flimsy sadly.

Any place to store the long sword handle and the little sword hilt in either mode?

Despite my misgivings, I cannot argue the point that this is, alongside MP10, the most bang for your buck release in the line. He has -EVERYTHING- and I like the shield/display stand.
I wrote a review of this guy, but my sample doesn't have a problem with the elbows. From what I've read about the issue on various message boards however, it seems that your best solution is to take apart the elbow and shove something small and solid under the notch the joint ratchets on so it squeezes against the teeth more tightly.

Unfortunately there is no proper place to store either the big handle or the little hilt. The latter can at least be stored under the V-Star's "kilt" in vehicle mode, there's a small peghole there the hilt's peg fits in.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Rough customs FTW... Mayhems represent. Pleased for an hour or so knocking about.

http://i.imgur.com/IAh3X2H.jpg
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Tetsuro wrote:I wrote a review of this guy, but my sample doesn't have a problem with the elbows. From what I've read about the issue on various message boards however, it seems that your best solution is to take apart the elbow and shove something small and solid under the notch the joint ratchets on so it squeezes against the teeth more tightly.

Unfortunately there is no proper place to store either the big handle or the little hilt. The latter can at least be stored under the V-Star's "kilt" in vehicle mode, there's a small peghole there the hilt's peg fits in.
Took one leg of mine apart just to see what I can reinforce. I used scotch tape around the pylon that keeps him upper thigh circle piece together [putting that spring in and keeping the ratchet functioning at an angle that allowed me to screw it back together was a B!TCH]...and not much difference overall. What kind of thing could I put between the ratchets? Can't think of anything that might improve the friction.

Little hilt can store where you told me to, that's brilliant. Thanks! :up:
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

I've been going through my Protectobot limbs. I like that First-Aid the pacifist comes with a battle-axe. Time to amputate! I don't have Hot Spot, so I've been using Optimus.
TRUXX IZZ MUNKY

Does anyone know what order the comics should be read in?
Nevermind, I found it: Sreetwise, Rook, Blades, First-Aid
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Inaction Master

Post by Inaction Master »

Got back from BotCon. Made off like a freakin' bandit.

Also got in the Protectobot Deluxes. Will have photos up soon.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Knightdramon wrote:Took one leg of mine apart just to see what I can reinforce. I used scotch tape around the pylon that keeps him upper thigh circle piece together [putting that spring in and keeping the ratchet functioning at an angle that allowed me to screw it back together was a B!TCH]...and not much difference overall. What kind of thing could I put between the ratchets? Can't think of anything that might improve the friction.
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transform ... 80625.html

If that link doesn't work, see posts #4011 and #4062.

As far as the legs are concerned...can't help you with that, sorry. There seems to be too much clearance between the notches in the hip ratchets, no idea how to fix that.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

After buying a cheeky Defensor knock-off earlier in the year and finding the quality to be surprisingly good, I picked up an Abominus knock-off. Which must be the third set of Terrorcons I've owned in as many years.

I love these guys, but haven't been totally satisfied with the vintage examples I've owned in the past, which have been good, but y'know, the usual sun-fading, stickerwear and rust, which is par for the course with old stuff. I just wanted a shiny new set. And these cheeky Chinese bootlegs (complete with G1 repro box - pretty good, apart from the typo down the sides - what is a 'Super Warrio' ?) have turned out to be not too shabby at all. Good plastics, repro labels and instructions - all of which are scratching the itch for me. Makes me a terrible person for dabbling in this counterfeit malarky, but its the only way I'm going to be able to afford a decent condition set, so they'll do me.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Skyquake87 wrote:Makes me a terrible person for dabbling in this counterfeit malarky, but its the only way I'm going to be able to afford a decent condition set, so they'll do me.
I feel you there. Up until now, I've felt general aversion to buying knockoffs due to my perhaps naive brand loyalty, but since reissues seem to be almost dead these days with Autobot combiners in particular never been reissued, I am contemplating picking up at least some of them - Menasor and Defensor, perhaps.

I just wish they were priced more appropriately for a knockoff.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Inaction Master wrote:Got back from BotCon.
Oh, cool. Did you go with a shopping list or just grab what looked interesting?
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Tetsuro wrote:I feel you there. Up until now, I've felt general aversion to buying knockoffs due to my perhaps naive brand loyalty, but since reissues seem to be almost dead these days with Autobot combiners in particular never been reissued, I am contemplating picking up at least some of them - Menasor and Defensor, perhaps.

I just wish they were priced more appropriately for a knockoff.
Yeah, I'm of similar mind on this. I want to get a set of Technobots but it seems the best/easiest way to put them together is to get the KOs. I'm still iffy on the idea, and they do seem to be a touch overpriced for being KOs. I've seen the fakes listed for more than a loose real set. Tis crazy
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I've bought the Defensor and Abominus KOs from toymshop on ebay, who seems to be decently priced and does free shipping (er, at least to the UK). I put off Abominus for over a year due to the price, but got a 20% off coupon from ebay, so had a punt with the discount :)

I also note that there seem to be a lot cheaply priced Human Alliance toys popping up at the moment, which I'm guessing are KOs going by the price.

In other news, I have also landed a Commemorative Series Tracks. Because I like Tracks.
numbat

Post by numbat »

There's a distinct possibility I may need to eat my hat...

I've had a very trying few months at work and home, and my business accounts came back for last year better than I expected so while picking up some groceries I thought I'd look in on Combiner Wars. I've not generally life the aesthetic based on photos, but decided to give my fave Stunticon, Dragstrip, a go. In an unusual turn off events it looks like Hasbro did better than Takara with the decos on these guys, and the maroon really breaks up what would otherwise (looking at you Takara Dragstrip...) be dull monotonous yellow. I don't think I'll ever get used to the head though...

The transformation is insanely simple, but really fun. Love the sliding legs - very satisfying. I understand more why these figures are the way they are - there has clearly been some serious thought put into the combiner gimmick, and incredibly Scramble City assortment of characters. This really seems like a fun way to engage kids with Transformers again. I'm still not into that as a collector but if the other Stunticons are this much fun I might have to put together a Menasor, despite the obvious failings. What are the others like?

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

numbat wrote:What are the others like?
Exactly the same.

Well, that might be overstating things a bit. But by necessity, all of the CW limbs have the same basic engineering regardless of what they turn into. Some of them look a bit nicer and others a bit worse, but they're all the same basic toy -- big and chunky with solid articulation and a simple transformation that works pretty well in all four modes (robot, vehicle, leg and arm). So if you like one of them you'll probably like most of them, though you might get bored of the sameiness pretty quickly.
numbat wrote:I understand more why these figures are the way they are - there has clearly been some serious thought put into the combiner gimmick, and incredibly Scramble City assortment of characters. This really seems like a fun way to engage kids with Transformers again.
Kids would probably have a ball with the things, but I wonder how many kids are actually getting into them? They're only being advertised in adult-oriented comics, and seem to be drawing in an even bigger adult nostalgia demographic than Generations usually does (strictly anecdotally).