Animated Toys (Opinions)

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

damn you Kali, I haven't even seen a Leader Megs Around here yet.
Come on and wind me up.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

another tf fan wrote:damn you Kali, I haven't even seen a Leader Megs Around here yet.
Patience is a virtue.
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Kali wrote: as I am an admitted Starscream fan in all the fiction (except fan fiction that is).

Hey! I think I do a pretty good job of capturing his voice, and he even gets a "moment" in "Battle of the Bands"... :D
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Vincent wrote:Cool, so the double BB is a must-have?
Well, i'd say the 08' camaro is great wif or wifout battle damage. If you fancy giving the 74 a try, get it. But i think you should get the single 08'. Use the doule pack as the thing to fall back on if you can't find the single.

One thing though, if you're an avid minicon collector, BB 74's cannons use mincons ports, so if you fancy, you can give someone a huge-@$$ cannon (in relative scale).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

Bought Leader Class Megatron. I have to say I am somewhat impressed. The only problems I have with it are this: 1) Getting the blasted thing out of the box was HELL - I have never seen so much tape on a box in every little tab, etc. 2) I wish the twin swords would go together to make the sword more substantial looking. 3) Not much motion in the hips, and no pivotal movement in the feet. 4) The transformation for a "3" is way too easy! I have had more troubles with my BW TigerHawk when it was still alive. 5) I felt the gun was lacking, needed to be bigger, more flashiness to it. 6) The wings in futuristic, Osprey mode were needing to be a bit longer I feel to be cartoon accurate.

Overall though, I feel the toy was worth the 39.95 I spent, but be careful, the toy can be agitative when you're wanting to keep up with the transformation sounds. The plastic around the shins seems kinda thin, but might just be mine.

5.4/10 overall

4/10 playability
8/10 on paint applications
5/10 on poseability
1/10 on Pricing (It feels more like a $20.00 toy)
9/10 on gimmicks. Who doesn't like sounds, lights and flashiness?

(I'll post some pictures sometime)
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Springer007 wrote:5.4/10 overall

4/10 playability
8/10 on paint applications
5/10 on poseability
1/10 on Pricing (It feels more like a $20.00 toy)
9/10 on gimmicks. Who doesn't like sounds, lights and flashiness?

(I'll post some pictures sometime)
You forgot the 9/10 for actually looking like Megs.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

Treadshot A1 wrote:You forgot the 9/10 for actually looking like Megs.
I did forget that.. .geeze.. you messed up my pretty calculations.... Well okay.. I will give him a 9/10 and the math will work itself out on the overall. I felt the smaller toy looked like him too from the two pack with Op also, but alas, no extra cash in order to buy him with :'( If you are also meaning from Movie Megs.. Yea - horrid representation, AND saw a Premium Optimus Prime... and the bunny ears look cruddy! Better to buy a sword from BBTS, and slap it on your pre-existing toy.
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

I picked up Leader Megs and Bulkhead the other day in a 3 4 2 offer at my local TRU and thought I'd offer my thoughts. They are both excellent figures, I'm surprised how much I like Bulkhead as I've already got the voyager figure, which I also liked, but I expected to love Megs and I do. Megs is just fantastic.

The only thing that surprised me is that both figures seem quite small for a Leader class. They look very small in their boxes when you take them off the outer layer and Bulkhead is around the same size as Energon Scorponok, an Ultra class figure. Megs is only slightly bigger and this seems a shift away from the huge leaders of the past. Not that it's a problem, the quality more than makes up for the lack of size and these are the first TF's I've owned where I actually like the sound effects. The fact that they've used the voice actors from the show is pure awesomeness and Megs evil laugh is worth getting the figure for all by itself!

One of the other things I found myself really liking is the Headmaster extra with Bulkhead. Now, I hate the Headmaster in the show. He's loud, obnoxious and annoying. But the little toy that plugs into Bulkhead and then gives you a sound effect of the Headmaster from the show is great and adds considerable play value to the toy. It's a surprisingly fun extra. All in all, I'd highly recommend these figures for anyone who likes the show, or even if you don't.
Vincent
Protoform

Post by Vincent »

I hear nothing but praise for the Animated line that it's become quite astounding. To be honest the only figure I seriously considered was Blitzwing (which I guess isn't out at retail yet), but seeing Leader Megs I got all these feelings inside.

He just looks so awesome but I'm so afraid to get him and end up regretting something (he's going for 60 dollars). Also Voyager Starscream is so cool.

So if I was going to get only one Animated figure, which should it be? Also, if I was going to get one deluxe figure, which would I get?

(for those who didn't know, I actually prefer TFs to be smaller)
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

[quote="Vincent"]He just looks so awesome but I'm so afraid to get him and end up regretting something (he's going for 60 dollars).QUOTE]

Thats pretty cheap, the leader figures here are an extra $20.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Vincent wrote: So if I was going to get only one Animated figure, which should it be? Also, if I was going to get one deluxe figure, which would I get?
The one figure i'd recommend above all others is Prowl and seeing how you prefer smaller toys he'd be ideal. He's an awesome toy. Others I'd recommend are Starscream and Leader Megs. Those are great too.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I really love two-pack Prime. He even comes with a Megs to fight with. True the Megs is only so-so, but Prime is awesome enough for both, and they come with a DVD!

I'd also recommend Lockdown. Not even his rather limp-wristed appearance can take away from his pile of WIN! :up:

If you decide to dabble in the voyager class Grimlock is fun and he's about as bulky as a Grimlock should be. :)
Gareth Infinity

Post by Gareth Infinity »

I caved in and bought Activators Starscream. The legs don't like to stay in place in jet mode, but it's not too bad. Still fun to fiddle with. I may actually go for a few more of these little guys...especially that Grimlock from the Comic-Con photos. And maybe Bulkhead.
Detective Barricade

Post by Detective Barricade »

I got Leader Bulkhead today. He's one of those Leader class figures that's extremely hard to ignore, especially when his electronics are so sensible! The figure says actual phrases, instead of odd noises like the Movie Leaders do. (except Brawl. He just makes battle sounds) I really like the "big" transformation sound as well!
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!
Gareth Infinity

When I watched Sean Long's review of Leader Bulkhead and heard that transformation sound, I thought maybe something was wrong with it! Ha. But if it's really made to be like that I guess it's neat. Agh, I've still gotta buy this guy! Where will he fit in amongst the Evangelions and Valkyries on my agenda?!
Detective Barricade

Post by Detective Barricade »

Yep, there is nothing wrong with the sound. It's meant to sound like something big is transforming, which is what Bulkhead should be like!
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Gareth Infinity wrote:Where will he fit in amongst the Evangelions and Valkyries on my agenda?!
He won't. Amongst Evangelions and Valkyries? Wrong league, mate.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gareth Infinity

Treadshot A1 wrote:He won't. Amongst Evangelions and Valkyries? Wrong league, mate.
It's about money, not genre or style. I don't mind mixing my figures together for display.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Gareth Infinity wrote:It's about money, not genre or style. I don't mind mixing my figures together for display.
Yeah, just meant it as a joke.

I'd say that L.BH might be a bit too large for display. Don't remember seeing too big a Valkyrie in all the hobby shops i go to.

Also, i meant that basically get BH first. Think of it this way: If you have a high priority section and a not so high priority section on your agenda, i'd say BH is high and everything else, not so high. Just my two cents; I think everyone realised a long time ago that i'm going to beat the s*** out of people who don't get/have him. ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gareth Infinity

Ah, I see. Yeah I remember reading before about your love for Leader Bulkhead (and Megs). But to be completely honest I think the next $40 I end up with will be saved and go towards this (WARNING: spoiler-ish Evangelion-related picture)

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk20 ... 680_04.jpg