Animated Toys (Opinions)

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Had a terrific Robot Hunt 2008 yesterday.

( a sequel to the Movie toy Robot Hunt of 2007)

Took my 6 year old godson with me and drove 200 miles, stopping at every retailer along the way picking up every animated figure we could find.

Got Him:
Lugnut
Bulkhead
2-Pack Prime/Megs
Bumblebee
Ratchet
Starscream
Lockdown
Grimlock
Cyb Prime
Blackarachnia
Prowl

And Now I have:
Lugnut
Bulkhead
2-Pack Prime/Megs
Bumblebee
Ratchet
Starscream
Lockdown
Grimlock
Cyb Prime
Blackarachnia
Prowl
Cyb Megs (Voyager)

We both now have all of the available figures for the line.

What a fun day we had, listening to TF:TM Soundtrack in the car, searching the stores, taking pictures, eating breakfast, lunch and dinner. We had a glorious robot hunt. I tell you guys, I love collecting transformers, but I love this animated stuff so much because My Godson and I have been sharing it together. The show, the toys the comics Jeeze, when you have a kid new to transformers around at a time like this it really makes it extra fun.

Oh, and The toys are are great. I'll get to reviewing them later.
Come on and wind me up.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Bulkhead looks like he'd be a pretty hungry guy, so I took these pics:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn98 ... fet001.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn98 ... s08039.jpg
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Hahaha! Those pictures are awesome dude! They almost make me want a Bulkhead figure, but I'm gonna hold off for the Leader class one ;)
Clay

Post by Clay »

For the most part, I think they're damn hideous. The cartoony style sort of works for some of the animal toys (I like Grimlock, but Blackarachnia looks mediocre), but all the vehicular ones look terrible.

Not to say that they're weak designs or anything, but I think the style just looks awful.
Vincent
Protoform

Post by Vincent »

^I agree.

Also, I loved the pics, Blitzwing. Especially the cookie one.
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

I went on a spree and picked up most of wave 1 last week. Now, I've been really looking forward to getting my hands on the Animated toys but on the whole I feel a bit let down. Let me explain:

Prime and Megs Battle Pack. Got this cause it was the only thing out in the UK a few weeks ago. Prime's pretty good in both modes, but Meg's alt mode is horrendously bad. I used the instructions to transform him cause I really couldn't see how his vehicle mode was supposed to look. It's just bloody awful and looks completely unfinished. His robot parts are clearly visible in jet mode and the whole thing just looks crap.

Starscream is excellent in both modes. I really like his jet and robot modes. The only thing that annoys me is that his hands always lay flat when his arms are bent at the elbows. His palms are always facing up. For some reason this really bugs me with TF figures and Movie Ratchet had the same problem. It looks like a really forced position and just annoys me but its only a minor niggle.

Voyager Bulkhead. I really like this guy in both modes. I can see why people have been complaining about his height but the guy is short and squat in the cartoon -that's just who he is. I may still have to get the leader class if it's any good but overall a good figure. When you stand him next to Starscream in robot modes the contrast in body shapes is amusing. Starscream is tall and lean, while Bulkhead is short and squat. It makes for a nice display contrast.

Bumblebee - This is the biggest disappointment for me. Because I've been watching the cartoon I want all the main character's toys and that forces you to pick up the crap along with the good. This toy is the worst I have bought in a long time going all the way back to Armada Hot Shot. He's the biggest pile of shit I have seen in ages. He feels all out of proportion - his head is too big, his feet are enormous, his arms have limited movement, his eyes look wrong for some reason. The list of problems go on - the plastic that makes him feels cheap, the design of the toy is terrible, the gimmick involved with his blasters is useless, he's lacking a weapon besides the awful blasters etc. Needless to say I hate this toy. I really hope they release another version of him that's better than this.

Lockdown is pretty damn cool but stupidly enormous in robot mode. His legs are about twice the size they should be and he looks like he's wearing stilts. Vehicle mode is nice though.

Prowl is good in both modes, but his robot mode is especially good. Very poseable and looks just like Prowl in the cartoon. I think that's one of the things I do like about most of these toys - they look just like their cartoon depictions; Prowl, Starscream and Bulkhead especially.

Anyway sorry about the rant but I was really looking forward to this line, I thought it'd be the best I've collected to date and, while it still shows potential down the line, it's just not as good as I was expecting. Yet.
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

I agree that Bumblebee's feet are too big and the yellow plastic is EXTREMLY cheap looking and feeling. It's the same kind of plastic that the Burger King Movie Ratchet is made off.

I don't hate Bumblebee, but he has some flaws.
Come on and wind me up.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

As far as Bumblebee's plastic goes, it may appear 'cheap', but I have dropped him, or he has fallen several times from high places onto hard surfaces and he has never broken. I don't mind him all that much, I especially think he looks good in car mode.
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Maybe you're right it's not "cheap" exactly, but a bit rubbery and soft.
Come on and wind me up.
Starfield
Protoform

Paint?

Post by Starfield »

I got Lockdown and Prowl. They both had a couple of ugly paint mistakes. Anyone else have any problems?
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I don't find Bumblebee to be "cheap" looking at all, and really he is proportioned pretty damn close to his on screen counterpart. Same thing for the others. I'll agree that Deluxe Megatron is shit though, it really is nothing like the Voyager version. There had to be limitations with that size class though, no other way around it really. The other minor gripes that I've heard are not really anything that bothers me. Lockdown is tall, yeah its great! Nothing wrong with a larger figure to me, he is in proportion, thats all that matters.

None of my figures have any paint app problems, but I paid very close attention to them in packaging to make sure I didn't buy any like that, I did see a few on the shelves though.
Mospeada

Post by Mospeada »

The Prime and Megatron are pretty poseable. I'm happy with them.
burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

Finally they had some at our local Wal mart. I picked up Prowl, Lockdown, and the Prime/ Megatron battle pack. They're pretty good, especially Prowl and Lockdown. I like Megatron in robot mode. Prime is pretty average i guess.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Wow. That BB looks pretty sweet. Might add him to the list. I haven't seen any yet.

I want:
Prime vs Megs 2-pack
Grimlock
Maybe Lockdown
Jazz
Maybe Oil Slick
and Now Bumblebee

Probably won't grab all of those because of space concerns, but it's a work in progress.
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

I've got Lockdown and Prowl. They are both awesome. Tomorrow will come Voyager Bulkhead if I'm lucky.

Animated Wishlist:
Lugnut
Jazz
Ratchet
Cyb Mode Prime
Blackarachnia
Cyb Mode Megs
Sentinel Prime
Oil Slick
Earth Mode Prime
Ultra Magnus
Blitzwing
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Finally found them. Grabbed the Prime vs Megs pack.

Megs is pretty so-so, and I don't like how you can see Megs' face in the undercarriage.

However Prime is spectacular. It might be a close tie with classics Prime as my favorite Prime.

Cartoon ep was all right for an introductory ep. Though I kinda wish they'd thrown a few more eps on it to give me more of a taste for the show since I don't have cable.
Mospeada

Post by Mospeada »

RID Scourge wrote:Finally found them. Grabbed the Prime vs Megs pack.

Megs is pretty so-so, and I don't like how you can see Megs' face in the undercarriage.

However Prime is spectacular. It might be a close tie with classics Prime as my favorite Prime.

Cartoon ep was all right for an introductory ep. Though I kinda wish they'd thrown a few more eps on it to give me more of a taste for the show since I don't have cable.
Check YouTube, there are tons of full episodes. I usually get my fix there.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Blitzwing wrote:As far as Bumblebee's plastic goes, it may appear 'cheap', but I have dropped him, or he has fallen several times from high places onto hard surfaces and he has never broken. I don't mind him all that much, I especially think he looks good in car mode.
Dropped him from 2.xx metres up, onto tiles in car mode. Bits fell off, but they were on ball joints, and reattachable. Nothing really 'broke', so to speak.
RID Scourge wrote:Finally found them. Grabbed the Prime vs Megs pack.

Get Leader Megs. It is f***ing awesome. Prime, not so much. It's growing on me, but...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Mospeada wrote:Check YouTube, there are tons of full episodes. I usually get my fix there.
Thanks. I'll try to check it out. My compy's a bit of teh suck when it comes to streaming video.
Treadshot A1 wrote:Get Leader Megs. It is f***ing awesome. Prime, not so much. It's growing on me, but...
Aye. He does look sweet. I'm kinda hoping they eventually do a two-down version of the mold since I'm trying to avoid buying large transformers unless I can get rid of a lot of the, and since I don't have the impetus or time to sort them out, throw them on ebay and ship 'em out that's probably not going to happen soon. Too lazy.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

got prowl on friday and i love it.

im gonna stay clear of OP and megs twin pack as i dont like the megs i really want grimlock,blitzwing,soundwave,sentinel prime,jazz and maybe ultra magnus but i dont usually buy leader class
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!