Unlucky for some-Encore #13

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
martyboy70

Unlucky for some-Encore #13

Post by martyboy70 »

Right first off Im not doing this as a poll because people are never happy about the options-you cant please all of the people all of the time.
Anyway who do you want to see as the 13th release in the Encore series?
Personally Im a big fan of the baseformers and would love to see Scorponok or Trypticon getting some love(I think Fort Max would be a wish too far)
I would love to know which of the Encores you have already bought(in my case Ratchet and Ironhide as scabby incomplete 80s examples were going for more than I paid for both from HK-oh and Cliffy was right it is a really interesting mold) and which ones either released or pending you are pretty certain you will be laying your hands on.
(Skylynx,Megatron and Omega Supreme will be purchased by me at some point)
Also does anyone (im thinking Angloconvoy as he lives there) know how superstitious the Japanese are about the number 13-will it be 13 or will we skip to 14 as things like seats and hotel rooms sometimes do?
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

martyboy70 wrote:Anyway who do you want to see as the 13th release in the Encore series?
Personally Im a big fan of the baseformers and would love to see Scorponok or Trypticon getting some love(I think Fort Max would be a wish too far)

Also does anyone (im thinking Angloconvoy as he lives there) know how superstitious the Japanese are about the number 13-will it be 13 or will we skip to 14 as things like seats and hotel rooms sometimes do?
Finally, a baseformer fan! Me want same bases u do. Fort Max fail Drop test or sumthing.

14 no better than 13 to chinese people, or anything with 4, so maybe it goes 15?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Detective Barricade

Post by Detective Barricade »

I'd like to see Trpticon as Encore #13.:D Fort Max will likely never see any kind of Encore Re-issue, as they tried to have him in RiD, but he couldn't pass the safety regulations then.:( I doubt those regulations have softened in any way...:(
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!
dotCommunism
Protoform

Post by dotCommunism »

But the same Fort Max that wasn't released in RiD was released in Car Robots. Hasbro didn't release it because it failed safety tests, but as far as I can tell that's never stopped Takara from releasing anything. Presumably Japan doesn't (or at the very least didn't) have the same safety requirements as the United States or wherever.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

The safety regulations are only binding in America. Takara released Max in Car Robots (the Japanese cartoon that was translated as RID) so they probably could do so. He's all right, but Holy Grailiness aside his coolness is just in his size and his base mode imo.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

How about something that didn't get a US release? Like say Overlord.

Something like that or maybe Scorponok, if only so E-Hobby could do the obligatory Black Zarak repaint. ;)
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Actually, the easy E-Hobby repaint would make Scorponok a likely candidate in the toy is still in releasable shape...

The box style reissues had a release 13 (and indeed 14) so I'm guessing Encore will do the same.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Duocon giftset. Oh yes.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

IIRC, just about every Japanese series that's had 13 or more coded figures
has used the number 13 - G1 had Cliffjumper, CR had one of the Trainbots, TFC had TM Hot Rod, RM had Smoke-Sniper, etc.
Treadshot A1 wrote:14 no better than 13 to chinese people, or anything with 4, so maybe it goes 15?
It may surprise you to find this out, but the Chinese and Japanese are two different peoples. This is why we have two different names for them.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Just pointing out that there is a possibility of 14 being cancelled, as we're talking superstitions here.

Me want Baseformers, but i agree that Scorpy's the most likely candidate.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
numbat

Post by numbat »

I'd love to see Scorpy, myself. I'd try my best to pick that up! (Always wanted him when I was a whipper-snapper.)

I really want to get hold of the Fort Max mould one day - preferably the Car Robots release (far prefer the paintjob, and I don't care about the accessories). I think he'd look amazing alongside my collection of wee TFs! (Particularly WSTs...)

The only reissues I have at all are the eHobby Insecticon Clones. Frankly, there aren't too many of the orginals I'm enamoured with enough to pay sizeable amounts for (I sold off most of my G1s a few years back now, and have never regretted a single one... including Overlord! He's good, but not that good, in my humble opinion. Each to their own!). I always get tempted by Minibots, but the reissue prices always seem particularly steep. (I loved the eHobby repaints! Another 'one day'...)

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
inflatable dalek

One thing that makes Scorpy possibly likely at some point is that even though they're not in any rush about it Takara do seem to be slowly but surely releasing the leader toys from each line (as well as Scorpy, Fort Max, Overlord and the Victory boys are still waiting).

Would Shockwave be covered by whatever deal/change in fortune that's now allowing Sky Lynx and Omega Supreme to be reissued despite not being HasTak owned?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Well, not necessarily - he's from a different company again (ToyCo, not ToyBox IIRC) - it's not a case of it being another company, it's whether the other company is alright with it and/or can be muscled into it (so, for the Bandai-owned Takatoku designs, no chance - as I've stated before on several occasions, TakaraTomy - like most Japanese toy manufacturers - are terrified of Bandai - the hoops they jumped through for the eHobby Gobots being a prime example). All that said, ToyCo no longer exist, IIRC, and there have been encouraging noises (I'm sure someone mentioned it here at any rate). So the questions are who owns the mould since ToyCo folded, and whether the mould plates still survive (and seeing as Takara can't look after their own moulds, this is a big whether).

The choice of Omege and Sky Lynx shows Takara haven't any snootiness left, at any rate.

Yeh, you can wake up now.
numbat wrote:II loved the eHobby repaints!
*slaps nose with rolled-up newspaper* No! :p

And to be a general bastard in relation to hopes for Overlord/Star Saber/Dai Atlas/Deathsaurus, it should be remembered that the post-US stuff was spectacularly unpopular in Japan... It'd be a little bit like Hasbro reissuing Vroom, Gunrunner or waverider - possible minor coup with fans, wider commercial disaster. The only reason Ginrai got out is because he looks like Convoy...

I'm not sure exactly what Takara were playing at in the late 1980s... the imported TF was popular enough to basically wipe out traditional Super Robots, and then Takara decide to go straight back to mecha suits and unrealistic quasi-Transformers (c'mon, Star Saber's alt mode isn't really anything)...
inflatable dalek

Well, as long as they reissue Highbrow, he's the only childhood toy I still want to reown at this stage. Come on Takara, base your reissue line round my wants and desires! It would make as much sense as some your current magic 8 ball method of making decisions...

EDIT:
And to be a general bastard in relation to hopes for Overlord/Star Saber/Dai Atlas/Deathsaurus, it should be remembered that the post-US stuff was spectacularly unpopular in Japan... It'd be a little bit like Hasbro reissuing Vroom, Gunrunner or waverider - possible minor coup with fans, wider commercial disaster.
I think the Star Convoy reissue has pretty much blown that wide open hasn't it (and unlike Ginrai I haven't heard anything about embarrassing sales for him. Possibly released in much smaller amounts?). Considering he seems the most ubiquitous of the post American characters it's a surprise Star Sabre hasn't been shoved out already.

Plus, Takara are insane enough to do it even if it were commercial suicide.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Cliffjumper wrote:*slaps nose with rolled-up newspaper* No! :p
Bah.

I particularly enjoyed the Gobot references.

:swirly:

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

i would like to see scorponok and tripticon
has jazz been re released?
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

inflatable dalek wrote: I think the Star Convoy reissue has pretty much blown that wide open hasn't it (and unlike Ginrai I haven't heard anything about embarrassing sales for him. Possibly released in much smaller amounts?). Considering he seems the most ubiquitous of the post American characters it's a surprise Star Sabre hasn't been shoved out already.
The key to the Star Convoy reissue is that he's Convoy. It's difficult to find a comparison, but basically Convoy is considerably more popular than Transformers itself over there (again, it goes back to the long tradition of Animes with a single, starring robot - Tetsujin-28, Mazinger, Combattra, Voltes V, etc, etc.)... the closest thing to a Western comparison I can think of off-hand is Spider-Man or Batman - everyone knows who they are, without necessarily having the faintest idea who their friends and enemies are, or even what exactly they actually do. They're both bigger than any film or comic they appear in deal (the muddying issue in the comparison being those two are basically solo acts).

And yeh, I bet Star Convoy had a significantly smaller production run than Ginrai (I suspect a lot of subsequent reissues did, to be honest).

Star Saber? Ubiquitous? How so? He's got a certain amount of a following from the Jafanboys, but beyond that... TBH, they've done two (non-random packed) SS toys in recent years (Mega SCF, RM) and I'm guessing if sales were that stellar
Plus, Takara are insane enough to do it even if it were commercial suicide.
Sadly, the merger appears to have saddled Takara with some businessmen. This is why there seem to be more Convoy-related releases than ever at the moment.
numbat wrote:I particularly enjoyed the Gobot references.
The ones that were removed and weren't particularly apt to begin with ;) (they get half a point each for Bad Boy and Treds... the rest, not so good)

Seriously, I have a chip on my shoulder about that set ;)
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

I'd like to see Shockwave if they can get through the legal issues.

Others would be Smokescreen, Red Alert, Prowl and Scourge.

These are my choices because they are the main missing pieces in my collection.

Also, Sunstreaker and Mirage, but I heard they lost the moulds. Actually is that the case for the Dinobots too?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

IIRC, yeh. Wheeljack as well - basically any G1 car not reissued in some way or another.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

inflatable dalek wrote:Possibly released in much smaller amounts?
Produced to order quantities, IIRC.