I have seen the movie! Now for the toys

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Vincent
Protoform

I have seen the movie! Now for the toys

Post by Vincent »

I posted a thread previously about the toys I found in a toys'r'us, and all your comments helped. I avoided even looking at the movie toys since I wanted to see the movie first, and I did.

Of course, I skipped reading some reviews (just saw pictures) since even the greatest toy is subject to a negative opinion, so my basic question is this; which are the best?

Of course "best" is subjective, so if you don't know what to recommend, articulation is VERY important me. I'm not keen on collecting figures I just want really good ones. I'm not a serious TF collector.

Also, can someone tell me what all the classes mean? And one more thing, I'm seeing some names on the lists to Transformers that didn't even appear in the movie. Did I miss a scene or are they going with something?

So there it is, recommend meyour favorite TF movie toy and tell me why.

Thanks alot in advance.
PhantomWraith
Protoform

Post by PhantomWraith »

I highly recommend Wreckage. He never appeared in the movie (much to my disappointment) but he's a good little deluxe with some nice poses, and holsters guns ala John Wayne. He's sort of a little bit of everything rolled into one apc.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

LEADER PRIME!!!

In all honesty, I'd say most of the line is awesome, but OP really shines.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Aye..Leader Prime is creme of the crop.

Also voyager Starscream is one of my favorite figures as well from the movie line, closely followed by Barricade and Megatron.

Classes are just a way to describe size range. They go in this order from smallest to largest...

Legends
Minicon *
Scout
Deluxe
Voyager
Ultra *
Leader
Supreme *

*Not included in the movie line of figures, but included in previous lines.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Darn it, everyone's posting while I'm trying to write this.
Originally posted by Vincent
can someone tell me what all the classes mean?
Knightdramon does a fine job in this thread.
I'm seeing some names on the lists to Transformers that didn't even appear in the movie. Did I miss a scene or are they going with something?
Now don't quote me on this or nothing, but I think it's that H@sbro wanted more miles to the gallon than just the dozen-odd characters in the movie, so they added a few ... it seems strange though, 'cos they don't usually do that ... :glance:
So there it is, recommend meyour favorite TF movie toy and tell me why.
I grabbed Blackout, because he's just the coolest, most nonchalant, laid-back decepticon ever. Numbat beat me to it for the review, the bastard, but articulation-wise he's pretty nifty, with ratchet joints on the legs and everything. On the downside, he's jake the peg. The bulky tail of his helicopter mode touches the ground behind him, so he loses all of his pat-lee-crouching-pose(®) possibilities there. Considering all the acrobatic leaping about he does in the film though, that's not too much of a problem. The arms are fully articulated, and free of kibble.

There's a funny double-standard with his build quality. His legs and arms are simply excellent. Nice, sturdy and chunky, with a decent paint job. But the torso and waist are flimsy as hell, and the automorph feature that flips his head around for you (yeh, I really needed help doing that, thanks) is a load of skank. The rotor assembly with its' gimmick that spins the rotors thanks to a button on the tail is also a bit iffy, the pieces don't fit together all that well, and the paint jod there is dire. It's nowhere near as bad as I make it out to be though, and the movie toys are made of that slightly rubbery plastic, which means he's not gonna break unless you really, really try. he looks awesome in either mode, even if he does tend to fall to bits if you try to pick him up in helicopter form.

I'd say he's more of a playable display piece than a toy... Did I mention he comes with a koot ikkle skorpy ?

:\ I'm not sure how I managed to make that sound so bad. He's brill, he really is. Honest. Better than leader prime, and half the price, nya nya nya :p
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Voyager class is about the size of an old Mega, right?
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Yup, minus any electronics.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
lars573
Protoform

Post by lars573 »

Originally posted by Brendocon
Voyager class is about the size of an old Mega, right?
A small voyager (like the classics ones) is still taller than a mega. A large voyager is the same size as an ultra.
Civ

Post by Civ »

I highly recommend Ironhide and Blackout. Two very good figures with very good articulation. In my opinion, they're even better than Leader Prime.
cflames89
Protoform

Post by cflames89 »

I may get bashed for this, but I love my Ratchet.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Nah. He's quite fun.
Prons
Protoform

Post by Prons »

This thread makes me crave Leader Optimus Prime!!
cflames89
Protoform

Post by cflames89 »

I was playing the game this morning for a bit, and now really want to go buy Blackout.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Originally posted by Prons
This thread makes me crave Leader Optimus Prime!!

As Adam Sandler would say, "JUST DO IT!!!" He's an amazing toy. One of the best primes to ever be released, in terms of articulation and playability. He's really fun.
*BARRAGE*

Post by *BARRAGE* »

protoform Starscream is pretty fun- if not insanely basic

Wreckage is pretty dang cool...

i dig Swindle as well- even though he is only from the video game... i bought two and painted one black for a more Decepticon-ish look

the target exclusive repaint of cybertron Hardtop is one of my favorites, but he's not really a movie figure technically now that i consider it...

i'd suggest Barricade, but mine keeps losing his arms in mid battle whilest killing Bumblebee... so Blackout drops in and impales Bumblebee... little punk...
HE JUST WON'T STAY DEAD
cflames89
Protoform

Post by cflames89 »

LOL!!!!, Little punk!!!!
Vincent
Protoform

Post by Vincent »

Guys, thanks a whole god damn lot for all your comments and thoughts. I've been thinking them over. I'll take a look at the other thread to review your ideas on the Classics and Cybertron lines.

Anyway, here's my movie list

Leader Prime is a buy-on-sight, considering your cravings, heh.

Wreckage is under revision, I'll need to see pics.

One more question, though. What about Megatron and Ironhide? Ironhide in particular was kick-ass in the movie, but I'm wondering about the articulation. Same for Megatron.

Thanks again.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Originally posted by Vincent

One more question, though. What about Megatron and Ironhide? Ironhide in particular was kick-ass in the movie, but I'm wondering about the articulation. Same for Megatron.

Thanks again.

While I don't have Ironhide, I can answer for Megatron. Leader class Megatron is a very fun figure and a worthy edition to any collection...as an action figure with neat gimmicks. His alt mode is pretty worthless however, and he requires some re-assembly as well upon purchase. Unless Hasbro QC has fixed the issue Megatron comes with a missing spring placed in the wrong arm that has to be fixed right away if you want his gimmicks to work properly.

With all that being said, I do like my Megatron figure a lot, but he never gets changed to alt mode because it is a complex and tricky transformation, made even more stressful by the awful instructions included with the figure. I think I only ever transformed him twice actually...but as an action figure he is top notch stuff ...once re-assembled...
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Ironhide's awesome with great articulation, and a big honkin' gun. The transformation has a few tricky spots that take a while the first couple times, but once you know just how it's all supposed to line up, it goes easily. Very cool figure in both modes, especially once you get his bionic torso to snap into both places.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

I can vouch for Ironhide as well. Pretty badass robot mode, very, very cool vehicle mode. You can read my review on this site for a better understanding on how the figure is, but I highly recommend him.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.