3rd Party: Master Made SDT-03 Apollo (Chonky Supreme!)

Working area for reviews.

Moderators: Skyquake87, ganon578

Civ

3rd Party: Master Made SDT-03 Apollo (Chonky Supreme!)

Post by Civ »

Well, I just took a bunch of photos of the figure and I think I uploaded them to Photobucket. Accent on "I think". I'm going to try this and I'm hoping it works and if it doesn't, it's not a disaster.

https://smg.photobucket.com/user/Raging ... %20Supreme
Civ

Re: 3rd Party: Master Made SDT-03 Apollo (Chonky Supreme!)

Post by Civ »

https://imgur.com/a/GOxJL7i

Attempt #2 to post these dang photos but now from an Imgur account rather than Photobucket. Experimentation can be painful at times.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Name: Master Made SDT-03 Apollo
Nickname: Chonky Supreme (thanks Clay!)
Allegiance: presumably Autobot since he has a mini 3rd party “Optimus Prime” with him.
Sub Group: Ummm…chibi? Anime?
Function: Chonky. He’s lovably chunky and adorable. Like a cat without the allergies and hairballs.

Does not have a slogan or motto as far as I can tell.

Bio: Use the power of your imagination here. There’s nothing official that I can see.

I picked this little guy up at a TFCon Toronto (either 2013 or 2015) convention because it just simply caught my eye. Paid $150, which was fine for me since at that point, I became very picky about my collection and my haul that year wasn’t huge. I think it was the same convention where I met Jack Angel, the voice of Omega Supreme, Ultra Magnus, and Smokescreen, so I had his characters on my brain. More like I just walked by a dealer’s table saw it, thought it was neat, and figured why not? And I’m glad I did because he’s one of my personal favorites.

Robot Mode: Definitely the best part about this figure. He’s based on a chibi-fied version of G1 Omega Supreme who was a large, powerful character. The figure’s chunkiness and over-proportioned limbs seem to carry over the idea that yes, he’s supposed to be big and powerful but in a cute, chibi package.

The individual, plastic parts have so much detail and artistry put into them that even though I’ve had the figure for years, I keep finding new details. Aesthetically, it’s a very pleasing figure to look at but I’m biased since I like Omega Supreme, so I’ll leave that up to the user or potential buyer to see what they think of the aesthetics.

For so much chunkiness, he’s surprisingly articulate. He has all of the major articulation points such as knees, shoulders, elbows, and head. But he also has individually articulated fingers and ankle articulation what would make a master yogi jealous. His posing is surprisingly stable but a lot of that comes from the very heavy feet and legs. The feet feel like they’re made out of zinc or some kind of metal. Please see my pictures for all of the most extreme poses I could come up with.

He also has a face and chest you can light up if you have the batteries. I don’t have them, so that’s why there aren’t any lit up pictures. If I do get them, I’ll take pictures and add them to the review.

As far as weaponry goes, he really doesn’t have much in terms of that. There’s the traditional claw, gun, and ponytail cannon. Oh, quick note, he cannot swivel his head around 180˚ to blast enemies like Animated Omega Supreme could, so that’s a bit of a minus there.

The developers did give him a hammer made from bits of the rocket (forearms) and a couple pieces of his “wings” for the handle. It’s not bad looking but it leaves parts lying around that cannot be stored on the figure in a practical fashion. I came up with a custom hammer that uses all of the leftover parts but I wish I could center the handle more so it’s a bit more balanced.

Alternate Mode: Definitely the weaker of the two modes. His final rocket base mode honestly looks like an afterthought. It looks like the designers really focused heavily on the robot mode and then tried to cobble together a rocket base mode that just…just…doesn’t quite do it.

The chibi-fied head tank is hilariously ridiculous. It’s literally just his head on some fold-out treads. I guess it was designed with that in mind as there’s not bits of his body to surround the head to offer some degree of protection. And the face isn’t even covered up.

The rocket doesn’t look half bad. It’s probably the best looking part of the alt mode. Just like with the original Omega Surpreme, it’s the two forearms connected together by a rather clever locking mechanism. On each forearm, there are these black, locking rings that shift one way to unlock the forearms, and shift the other way to secure them.

The man base, well, there’s not much to say about it. It has some nifty pop-up cranes from the legs section and a crotch ramp, but other than that, there’s nothing all that remarkable about it. The legs portion gives me strong G1 Metroplex vibes since they’re essentially doing a split and using that fabulous ankle articulation. Overall, the legs portion doesn’t make the base mode look terrible. I leave that to the upper body.

The upper body as the back of the base looks silly since they didn’t even try to hide the arms or torso at all. The arms don’t even fold up into “towers” like G1 Metroplex’s arms did. The torso just connects to the legs via a peg and holds the transformed wings into gantry planks. That’s about it.

As good as the robot mode is, I wish a bit more time was spent making the rocket base look a bit better. Maybe that’s the full-on chibi style but for me, the base mode leaves something to be desired.

Marks Out Of Ten For The Following:

Transformation Design: The transformation is pretty simple and thankfully, the instructions are actually clear. The battery locations aren’t so clear but they’re not part of the transformation. 9/10

Durability: This thing’s practically a tank. It has super heavy joints, durable plastic, and metal to boot. Nothing on this figure feels weak. 9/10

Articulation: He has better articulation than expected. Definitely belies his chunkiness. He’s not Classics Mirage articulate but not terribly far behind despite its built-in design limitations. 7/10

Fun: I love his poseability and sturdiness. I think anyone could get quite a few great, photogenic poses out of the figure that’ll look great on the shelf. 10/10

Price/Value: I’m not going to lie. He’s pricey. He was $150 at the time at a convention. Looking on ebay, the prices fluctuate. Some are cheaper, some are outrageous. If you can get him a good price, I don’t think you’ll regret it. Ranking this though is hard, so I’ll base it on the original $150 price tag. If it’s more than that, the rating goes down. So, for $150, I’ll give it an… 9/10

Overall: Chonky Supreme is a fun figure despite its lackluster alt mode, which in certain situations is workable. The numerous poses, stability, aesthetics, cuteness, and overall toughness make it worthy to be associated with Omega Supreme. Maybe kind of like a “son” of Omega Supreme. 8.8/10
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Great review, love it :D
Civ

Post by Civ »

StoneCold Skywarp wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:50 am Great review, love it :D
Thank you! I added a couple more photos showing the sides of the box and its art.