How to score toy scores for reviews...

Working area for reviews.

Moderators: Skyquake87, ganon578

Transformer Kamen

Post by Transformer Kamen »

Updated the 'Transformation' section to focus more on quality of transformation instead of complexity.
ganon578 wrote:Maybe at the end (before the scores) a 'Final Remarks' section? Basically a short summary of the pros/cons of the figure?
Hm. Isn't that the point of the Scores in the first place? That said, I do like the bit in your Darkwind review, but it still seems like a less staccato version of the 'Marks out of ten'.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Transformer Kamen wrote:Updated the 'Transformation' section to focus more on quality of transformation instead of complexity.

Hm. Isn't that the point of the Scores in the first place? That said, I do like the bit in your Darkwind review, but it still seems like a less staccato version of the 'Marks out of ten'.
Good point. Should we remove short sentences after the scores then? Makes no real difference to me, I just think moving into this new direction will give some consistency to reviews in general.
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

I like the one liners. :)
Transformer Kamen

Switched 'Articulation' to 'Useful Articulation'

Anything else I'm forgetting?
Transformer Kamen

Review templates Final Draft

Okay. If no one as anything else to add to the draft below, I'll go ahead and update the sticky next week.

Note: Please use correct formatting for the headings. Doing it afterward is a pain for the moderators. It would also be a huge help if you ran the review through a spelling/grammar check before posting, at the very least. And remember, this template may be boring, but your reviews don't have to be. Have Fun!

Name: Character's name
Function: What does the character do?
Subgroup: Toyline and/or price class

Character's bio and quotes. Most can be found at TFU.info or Hasbro.com. Please use italics to differentiate this part from the rest of the review.

Some people like to start with an introduction of the character's history, including previous toys, or a short description of the toyline the character is a part of.

Alternate Mode:

Description, points of interest, features, etc.

Robot Mode:

Marks out of ten for the following:

Transformation Design: How enjoyable is the transformation? 1=@$&#! 10=:)
Durability: What are potential problems over time or during play? 1=Breaks easily, 10=A brick.
Fun: Is it fun to play with? 1=BORING! 10=More fun than monkeys!
Aesthetics: Is this a good display piece? 1=Eyes...bleeding 10=Immaculate
Useful Articulation: How much positive articulation does the toy have? 1=Very little 10=Sky's the limit
Value/Price: Was the item worth the retail price? 1=Expensive, 10=Bargain.
Overall: Remember 5 is an average figure. 1=Leave it on the shelf, 10=Grab
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

I dunno, I think articulation should stand alone. Maybe include in the description how useful or useless the points of articulation for the figure impact the poses.

Articulation:

Describe points of articulation. Does the figure pose well? Any noticeable distractions?
Transformer Kamen

Savannahtron wrote:I dunno, I think articulation should stand alone. Maybe include in the description how useful or useless the points of articulation for the figure impact the poses.

Articulation:

Describe points of articulation. Does the figure pose well? Any noticeable distractions?
Do you mean you think there should be a separate part of the body dedicated to articulation, or just a more firm description in the 'Marks from ten' section?
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

Transformer Kamen wrote:Do you mean you think there should be a separate part of the body dedicated to articulation, or just a more firm description in the 'Marks from ten' section?
No, just that articulation means what type of articulation does the figure have, not just useful.
Transformer Kamen

Savannahtron wrote:No, just that articulation means what type of articulation does the figure have, not just useful.
I see. Then how about this:

Articulation: Does the articulation help or hinder posing the figure? Mention any problems with posing. 1=Greatly Hinders 10=Greatly Helps
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

Looks great. Send it to print :)
Transformer Kamen

Updated Final Draft

Final Call for any other suggested changes to the format. Otherwise, I'll post it this weekend.

Note: Please use correct formatting for the headings. Doing it afterward is a pain for the moderators. It would also be a huge help if you ran the review through a spelling/grammar check before posting, at the very least. And remember, this template may be boring, but your reviews don't have to be. Have Fun!

Name: Character's name
Function: What does the character do?
Subgroup: Toyline and/or price class

Character's bio and quotes. Most can be found at TFU.info or Hasbro.com. Please use italics to differentiate this part from the rest of the review.

Some people like to start with an introduction of the character's history, including previous toys, or a short description of the toyline the character is a part of.

Alternate Mode:

Robot Mode:

Marks out of ten for the following:

Transformation Design: How enjoyable is the transformation? 1=@$&#! 10=:)
Durability: What are potential problems over time or during play? 1=Breaks easily, 10=A brick.
Fun: Is it fun to play with? 1=BORING! 10=More fun than monkeys!
Aesthetics: Is this a good display piece? 1=Eyes...bleeding 10=Immaculate
Articulation: Does the articulation help or hinder posing the figure? Mention any problems with posing. 1=Greatly Hinders 10=Greatly Helps
Value/Price: Was the item worth the retail price? 1=Expensive, 10=Bargain.
Overall: Remember 5 is an average figure. 1=Leave it on the shelf, 10=Grab