-poll deleted-

Yes
No votes
No
No votes

Total votes: 0

Clay

Post by Clay »

Yeah, I proofread it and uploaded it at the tail end of that big update. It seemed finished at the time... ?

If you've got new photos, go ahead and post them so I can upload them. Otherwise, I'll merge this into the big "uploaded" thread.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Transformer Kamen wrote:Good Review.

Swoop does look quite nice. Not being interested in the other two Dinobots, though, I really can't say that I'll be picking him up (no matter how much he taunts me from the shelves) as I hate to have an incomplete set. :swirly:
I really like all three Animated Dinobot toys. They're a great trio, even if Snarl could have greatly benefited from having his club painted.
Transformer Kamen

Post by Transformer Kamen »

Clay wrote:Yeah, I proofread it and uploaded it at the tail end of that big update. It seemed finished at the time... ?

If you've got new photos, go ahead and post them so I can upload them. Otherwise, I'll merge this into the big "uploaded" thread.
No worries. I don't think I'll ever come to a point when I consider my reviews (or any other project) "done", but it was probably as done as it was going to get any time in the near future; I just wasn't expecting it to be uploaded with the current batch. :lol:

Anyway, for the sake of correctness, I'll go ahead an upload fixed pictures tonight (for reals this time). Although, I actually think I prefer Shockwave with the mistransformed shoulders. The "correct" way makes his shoulders seem too high for my tastes.
Transformer Kamen

Right then. I've decided to only upload a corrected pic of Shockwave's robot mode. Longarm, I think, is less mis-transformed than posed oddly (yeah, I'll go with that :glance:). Also, I've already excised the Decepticon symbol on his crane arm.

So, if it'll be a pain to upload one image with only a minor (correct!) alteration, please don't bother. :)
Attachments
shockwaveforrealagain.jpg
Blackjack

Universe Legends Animated Bumblebee-[PROOFED]

Post by Blackjack »

Name: Bumblebee
Allegiance: Autobot
Function: Espionage Causing trouble for Autobots, Babysitter, Kid-appeal
Series: Universe Animated

Bumblebee has always been one of my favourite characters. With him being yellow and all. Bumblebee has been my favourite kid-appeal character. I mean, who else? Cheetor? Wheelie? Nightscream? Hot Shot? Jolt?

Transformers Animated heralds a new Bumblebee, a successor to the G1 and Movie versions of the character. Like Ratchet, Bumblebee has only appeared outside G1 (including Classics, G2 et al) in the Movie and Animated series. Taking cues from Cheetor and Hot Shot, this version of Bumblebee is more brash and has a need for speed. He also likes to tease others. In a way, this characterization is a slightly more interesting interpretation than G1 Cartoon Bumblebee.

Bumblebee appears as one of the main five Autobots, and essentially is the brash and jovial kid-friendly character, at times putting him at odds with the silent and collected Prowl. BB is often partnered with Bulkhead and the human Sari. Oh, and did I mention he's yellow?

For some reason his legends toy is packaged in Universe packaging. In fact, all four Legends molds are in the Universe line. Ah well.

ROBOT MODE

The first legends class figures I saw were those from the Movie line. And to be blunt, they are crap. Sure, Bonecrusher and Megatron were adequate toys, but the Legends class doesn't really do the Movie designs justice. Then came the Universe Legends. Those were wonderful, and I like especially the new original molds for the G1 characters. I was mildly surprised that Animated characters get thrown into the mix, but then, Hasbro had done similar things before. Like, lest we forget, the G1 robot heroes being released in the movie line.

Anyway, we're here to review the toy. Bumblebee is packaged in robot mode. Charming in his own little way, Bumblebee is an excellent representation of his animated self. His robot mode sports a faux car top as the chest.

Articulation is rather nice as well. The legs have knee and waist joints, while the arms have shoulder joints. The articulation is not up to that of Legends Prowl, but then, it's understandable. Bumblebee's arms, molded into the car doors, actually work, unlike his movie counterpart in legends class.

Oh, and his neck even has articulation. Chin up!

Bumblebee's paint job is mainly yellow, with black and hints of blue and gray playing around. His eyes are baby blue. Bumblebee's face sculpt is excellent, being mainly silver and with a slightly arrogantly-poised mouth, which is a bit more than a gash.

There's not really much to say about Bumblebee, but it's sufficient to say that it's an excellent toy and very cute at that.

ALTERNATE MODE

Bumblebee's alternate mode is Captain Fanzone's undercover police car. It is a nice update, being similar to his G1 Volkswagen mode but not being anachronistic. In a way it is a stylized mode of his Classics alt mode with a black racing stripe. Hey, the stripe's customized.

Bumblebee's alternate mode rolls rather well on the ground, and the little red police bulb is a cute detail. The vehicle alternate mode is a very charming, cute, and is very well-done.

Now, most of the legends class figures, most notably the Movie line, sacrifice the robot mode for the vehicle mode, or vice versa. But Bumblebee, like Universe Hound and Jazz, does both in excellence.

Now, my Bumblebee suffers from slightly sloppy painting, with the gaps in the windshield being particularly visible. I don't know whether it's only on mine or on most of the Bumblebees.

There's not much to say about him. Regardless, he's a fantastic toy. Highly recommended.

Marks out of ten for the following:

DURABILITY 10/10 Bumblebee is a very solid toy. The only problem you might encounter is loose shoulder/hip joints or paint wear. Heck, mine survived a two-storey fall. No, really.
PRICE 8/10 The perks of being a wee TF lover.
TRANSFORMATION 2/10 for hardness, 9/10 for design.
FUN 9/10 For me he's an easy 9 or 10. He's cute and small, fits in your pocket, and nearly the same size as the original BB. But for those who like bigger transformers or not into Animated designs its probably a 5/10.
OVERALL 8/10 Well? What else is bad from this toy? He's durable, looks nice, show-accurate, and I just like Bumblebee. Also, as the kitbashers in this forum presented, opens many pathways for kitbashing. And, well... I just can't resist any legends Bumblebee.
Detective Barricade

Post by Detective Barricade »

On the risk of finding out, how exactly did it fall two stories?
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

I find it impossible not to burst into a fit of giggles now that I think of it. Trust me, you're better of not knowing. :lol:
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Please elaborate. Me want to know.

Wheelie? Kid appeal? No way.

Say, good point about kitbashing there. Bumblebee is versatile! I just finished bashing a bumblebee myself. should be up soon!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Well, it was on a mall. We're (my jerk of a little brother, my mother and my sister) overlooking one of the railings, looking at the large christmas tree, waiting for someone.

My little brother was fiddling around with Bumblebee. He was thrilled--he is a fan of Animated BB.

My sister said something along the lines of "Don't play it here. You'll drop it."

Of course, he dropped it.

It fell from third floor to the ground floor, onto the ground. A little girl screamed, "BOMB!!"

There was chaos.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

If only it had been a few more floors up...

Now this should be uploaded, imo. :)

EDIT: Add 'makeshift bomb' onto his function list!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
S_Windell
Protoform

Post by S_Windell »

Sunstreaker2 wrote:This reminds me of just how crappy the Throttlebots are. The Sparkabots and Mini-Bots are works of art in comparison to these.
Sparkabots? Man, those things redefined "atrocious." Even the Throttlebots don't deserve this.
secretcode wrote:Funny thing, now that I actually watched the video... It's actually better then DBanks' shit. That and Cliffy's voice is deeper and more aggrivated then I thought... sounded a bit drunk.
I liked all the fumbling! That is EVERY toy review on youtube. :lol:

Great parody.

I have two Freeways. :( I got one as a stocking stuffer because my dad didn't know I already had one.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Why is this not on the main site? Clay, yer monkey, you'd better put it up or I'll make all sorts of grand threats I have no capability of following through on.
sageofgrapefruit

Universe 2.0 Roadbuster and Dirge 2-pack-[PROOFED]

Post by sageofgrapefruit »

Alright, before I start, I have to mention that I'll be doing the review in 2 parts, Roadbuster, then Dirge. Each figure will be getting a mini-review, then I'll give out scores for the whole set.

Name: Autobot Roadbuster
Function: Wreckers' Heavy Gunner
Sub-Group: Wreckers

"GUYS! What part of 'clear the area' did not compute? I told-ah hey. Who am I kiddin? WRECK AND RULE!"

As war continues to wage across a ruined Cybertron, the Autobots plan an elaborate trap for the Decepticons. Enlisting the elite combat unit, the Wreckers, they set their trap and lay in wait for a group of Decepticons led by Dirge. Autobot Roadbuster, the Wreckers' heavy gunner, can't wait to lay his crosshairs on Dirge. As the time to spring the trap approaches, Autobot Roadbuster grows restless, for he can hear the low voice of his target approaching, and he longs to explode into action!

Wow. Nice bio for Roadbuster, but Dirge gets the short end of the stick here. This is a 2-pack Hasbro, not Roadbuster with a free Dirge inside!

Alright, let's get on to the review already. Before I begin, I must note that this is a repaint of Cybertron Defense Hot Shot....from Cybertron.

Alternate Mode:

Alright, let's begin with the alt mode. Roadbuster, true to his name, is something that's ruff and tuff and all sorts of manly. That's right, he's an armored military vehicle!! Roadbuster's primary colors are orange and brown, with a dash of green thrown in there. So the colors fit his character, and the vehicle fits his character too. The thing appears to be moderately armed, but then you merely insert the 'Cyber Key' to reveal missile pods, and pull out the front bumper to reveal MORE missiles.

Whoopie.

Kibble check! Flip him over, and you can see is chest, and the hands...and the outline of his legs...and the arms....yeah, lots of kibble here.

So this vehicle is lacking, mostly because it's boring, doesn't hold together very well, and is kibble laden.

So to transform him you merely pull up the gun turret, pull down the legs, pull down the front of the truck for the shoulders, and push his head down.

And! What's this? A knife hidden inside the legs? Either put it on the...knife holders, or the leg sheath and you have Roadbusters:

Robot Mode:

Now we get to the good part. The Robot Mode is the redeeming grace for a mediocre Alt Mode. In this mode, Roadbuster looks really powerful, like he could take Devastator in a wrestling match.

Pssh. Yeah right.

So in robot mode, Roadbuster has MORE missile pods than anyone in the history of TFs. Stick a Cyber Key into his little turret, and guess what? More missile pods! There are missile pods in his legs, there are missile pods in his giant shoulders, there are missile pods ON TOP of his giant shoulders, even a gun lover would go mad!!

I counted 18 guns on Animated Ultra Magnus, let's count the missiles here. 16, 22, 52, 80. Plus the guns on his shoulders, that's 82. More missiles than anyone else in my memory. No wonder he's the 'Heavy Gunner'. Roadbuster also comes with a knife, which I mentioned earlier. He looks great with it, and can make some really awesome poses with it, (as long as you put it on his arm holder, don't have him put it in his hands) despite his limited articulation.

While we're on the point of articulation, I have to mention points of articulation. I count 9 points, 10 if you count the turret. 12 if you count the guns going up and down. And I'm being nice here. With Roadbuster, the problem isn't the posing, it's the poses. Roadbuster can really pull some dynamic poses, but standing by, or a small conversation pose is hard to do with those massive shoulders. The thing is, Roadbuster is too powerful. At least Hasbro could've made the arms to turn where they met the shoulders so he could put his hands on his hips. But then again, Roadbuster seems like he might be a bot of action.

Now that I've attacked the whole figure, let's take a look at the scores.

Transformation: 6. Could be better, but not that better.
Durability: 10. Unkillable.
Fun: 7. I love some of the poses you can do with him. Great display piece, not that good for fun.
Price: For the real $10, 6. For the current price of $20-25 with Dirge, 7.
Overall: 7. Good display piece, not so fun. But it'll last for a long while.

Alright, now let's get to Dirge.

Name: Dirge
Function: Decepticon Seeker
Sub-Group: Um, bad guy.

"Let's give this thing the worst case of indigestion it's ever had!"

Autobot Roadbuster has the same tech spec, they're packaged together!

One of the saddest moments for fans was when Dirge, Thrust, and Thundercracker were declared to be BotCon exclusives. But if you're smart enough, you can get all three. There's a Cybertron Thundercracker, this Dirge, and a Cybertron Vector Prime / Starscream 2-pack, with the Starscream colored like Thrust. The Dirge I'm talking about now shares the mould with the Starscream mentioned previously.

Alright, that's your history lesson for today.

Alternate Mode:

Dirge's alt mode is based on the Cybertron (the planet) modes of the Seekers, which Hasbro said was the source of Cybertron (the series) Starscream's form. Confusing? Yes. Before I break your brain any more, lets get to reviewing the mode.

Dirge's main color is a deep blue, with hints of light brown, white, and a touch of red. I think that removing the white and the red would've helped a lot, but it's really not that big of a deal. It's a nice, streamlined jet mode, with some guns next to the cockpit, and, if you want, you can attach the robot mode's gun to the bottom for a little more weaponry.

For the kibble check, we don't even have to flip the jet over, for you can easily see Dirge's head, not even an attempt to hide it. NOW we flip it over, and we can see Dirge's tiny arms, again, not hidden at all.

So, I like this mode. Don't love it, not the best I've ever seen, but a solid jet mode.

For Transformation, one must pull the legs out, pull down the torso, then you're done. Pose the figure, then you have his:

Robot Mode:

Ok, what is up with the big shoulders in this set? I'm already sick of these. Roadbuster's shoulders work with his, but Dirge's limits his posability. He can make some menacing poses, but they don't work for EVERY SITUATION. Say his girlfriend wants to kiss, and he's being all menacing. Won't work. You try it. At least his head turns less tightly than the previous release.

He's armed with a gun with a long plastic missile, a clear grey color. The missile fires really mediocre. So his cyber key power does not do much, but makes 2 blades pop out of his giant shoulders, clear grey, like the gun missile and his cockpit.

Really not much to say about the robot mode then what I've said before, except he can do some sweet dueling with Roadbuster, and some awesome aerial poses.

Transformation: 5. It's HARD to pull the legs in order to do the transformation.
Durability: 7. Like I said above, hard to pull the legs, I feel like they're going to break someday.
Fun: 8. Jet mode formers are ALWAYS fun. After the first day, the score goes down to 7
Price: For the normal $20, 6. Clay mentioned in his Grimlock review that that Grimlock should cost $15. I think that Hasbro should have a new size class for $15, then it'd be worth it. Well, it's better than spending $200 for the BotCon version.
Overall: 7.5. Like I said, better alternative to the BotCon one if you can't get one. It is a little fun though, but if you have BotCon Dirge, then pass.

One last note, you should look very carefully when buying this set. My set came with the comic intended for the Springer/Ratbat pack, which is The War Within. Unless you're planning to get both packs, which I am, then you should be careful. But the switched one is a good comic, so I wouldn't worry, unless you've got your heart set on Target 2006.

Now for the whole set score out of ten:

Transformation: 5. Combined, they're not too hard. Really not hard at all.
Durability: 9. They won't die. They just won't die.
Fun: 8. Any 2-pack is fun. Any 2-pack with a seeker, or a jet-former is REALLY fun.
Price: 7. I got mine for $20. Good price for a Deluxe, a Voyager, and a comic.
Overall: 8. It's a set that has it's shortcomings, but the good points outweigh the bad ones. Plus, there's a comic! AND, you can get a classics Dirge so you don't have to get the BotCon one! Pick it up if you see one.
Signatures must not exceed 200 pixels tall
sageofgrapefruit

Post by sageofgrapefruit »

Please comment
Signatures must not exceed 200 pixels tall
ganon578

Universe Special Team Leaders Review-[PROOFED]

Post by ganon578 »

Name: Special Team Leaders
Allegiance: Autobot & Decepticon
Series: Universe Classics

The war between the Autobots and the Decepticons reaches its most furious point with the creation of the Special Teams. These highly specialized combat squads bring together a variety of talents into powerful and effective fighting teams, each led by a powerful leader. Each Special Team commander is a mighty warrior and brilliant leader, tested in the fires of the ancient war, and proven by countless victories.

While on vacation, I decided to pick up a Transformer while on the other side of the continent. By chance, my buddy and I needed to pick up some things at Target (and for the most part it was the only store nearby), so I swung by the toy section and found this gem. Already owning all the other Universe figures that this Target had to offer, I picked up the Special Team Leaders. I will admit that I wasn’t the biggest fan of Legends class figures, but there was just something about this set. First, I didn’t own any of the moulds, and second, it was just too cool to pass up. Now I can surely say that this set has made me a fan of the little Transformers.

The Special Team Leaders set is a Target exclusive, and it features five Transformers from the Generation 1 era that are the centerpieces of their respective combiner teams. These little guys are faithful recreations of their G1 counterparts, in both mould style and color palette. This set is quite nice since you get a mix of Autobots (Hot Zone, Silverbolt, Scattorshot) and Decepticons (Hun-Gurrr, Razorclaw), so it’s really worth the money. Here we go!!!

Hot Zone:

Hot Zone is actually Hot Spot, but due to trademark reasons, Hasbro switched the name to Hot Zone. Hot Zone/Spot is the leader of the Protectobots, who can combine to form Defensor. Hot Zone’s fellow Protectobots include Blades, Streetwise, First Aid, and Groove. Hot Zone is a repaint (for the billionth time… or maybe the third time) of a mould that was formerly Classics Menasor (also a combiner) and Cybertron Optimus Prime. Hot Zone is also one of three Autobots in this set.

Hot Zone is a good representation of the G1 toy he used to be, even in this small size. The original transformed into a fire truck cab, and now he transforms into more of a semi-truck cab. It works well enough, though. The alternate mode is very sturdy and it looks sort of futuristic, but it’s not just blatantly weird or anything; it still looks like a semi/fire truck cab. If there were any parts that I would complain about, is that the back end of the truck is really long, almost like it is a flat-bed truck. Other than that, the mould is great; there are small rolling wheels (that don’t work well on carpet), the detail in the mould and the paint applications are good, and show that Hasbro took some care in making this small repaint. Light grey makes up most of the color, with red, black, and silver accents. The figure also has two small Autobot symbols on the sides (which end up on the shoulders in robot mode). The robot mode is nice, detail and paint applications are great here too, and there’s a surprising amount of detail on the head. This mode is just as sturdy as the truck mode, but there is a great lack of articulation (but can you expect much movement from a Legends toy?). Balance is good, and as a display piece, Hot Zone looks strong and imposing with his large shoulders and bulky lower legs. Overall, both modes are great, and the quality is top-notch.

Hun-Gurrr:

Hun-Gurrr is the leader of the Terrorcons (Rippersnapper, Blot, Sinnertwin, and Cutthroat) which combine to form Abominus. This mould is also a repaint of a repaint, with the first appearance being Cybertron Scourge, and the second being Classics Trypticon. Hun-Gurrr is one of two Decepticons in this set.

Hun-Gurrr is a decent homage to his G1 predecessor, but there are a few things that are different. First, the color palette used to be light grey, dark grey, and a pink/fuchsia color. The greys still make an appearance, but the pink-ish color has been changed (thankfully) to a dull shade of purple. It doesn’t stand out as much as the G1 version, but I think it makes him look much more intimidating (pink is a difficult color to be afraid of). Another “change” is the addition of an extra head. The G1 toy transformed into a two-headed mechanical dragon, and now he has three heads. Maybe with time that third one just grew in. Who knows? Anyways, in alternate mode (three-headed dragon mode), Hun-Gurrr is very sturdy, and the detail is great. The mode makes Hun-Gurrr look very much like an organic dragon, but the detail in the mould gives rise to a lot of robot looking parts (gears and such). This level of detail is great for a figure of such small stature. The paint applications are good too; Purple adorns his head (which has four horns, mind you) while light grey makes up most of the body with some splashes of dark grey mixed in. A little yellow for the eyes, and you have one mean three-headed dragon. Robot mode is good too; the great paint apps are good here too along with a good deal of detail. His once large dragon head is now his chest (sporting a neat little ‘Con symbol), and the smaller heads are rotated back and hidden decently for a figure this small. One part I don’t like in this mode is the awkwardness of the hands. The front claws of dragon mode are rotated to reveal fists, which are OK, but it looks like he has his arms bent, even though they may not actually be bent. The way they’re designed doesn’t give you much to do with the arms, and detracts a little from the fun. The arms, legs, hands, and feet are on ball joints though, so you can at least move things around a little. Overall, the alternate mode is great, and the robot mode is good, if a little lacking.

Razorclaw:

Razorclaw is the leader of the Predacons (Divebomb, Headstrong, Rampage, and Tantrum) that combine to form Predaking. This figure is a repaint of Legends of Cybertron Leobreaker, and Classics Leo Prime. It is also the closest representation to date of the “Dawn of Future’s Past” version of Razorclaw. Dawn of Future’s Past is a comic storyline under the Transformers Timelines series that revolves around the Beast Wars universe.

Razorclaw is by far my favorite figure in this set. The mould is great and it very closely resembles its G1 predecessor. Yellow is the major color of the mould, and black, orange, and red add some contrast to the figure. The alternate mode is that of a lion… a robotic lion. Either way it’s a great alternate mode, and it has the same feel as Hun-Gurrr: animal type alternate mode, but enough robotic detail to make it still feel like a robot, and closely linked to G1. There’s some decent movement in the legs and arms in this mode, and the tail can be moved around a bit too. Speaking (or typing) of the tail, it has a barbed end to it, which looks very wicked, and seems like it would come in handy in a fight. His shoulders and mane are really bulky too, which is really reminiscent of an actual lion. Moulded detail is great; there are a lot of small designs in the face and in the mane that give it that touch of quality. That quality is transferred wonderfully in robot mode. Articulation is OK (pretty good for a Legends figure) and the colors are a little more spread out. This makes the paint apps stand out a little, and gives a little more prominence to the red which is somewhat absent in the alternate mode. Again, the shoulders are bulky here, which gives him an impressive look. There is one part that I feel is quite quirky: the feet are moulded as such that it seems like he’s wearing high heel shoes. If that’s the only problem with the figure though, I’ll be willing to let it slide. One other nice little touch is the small Decepticon symbols on the arms. The purple symbols are well detailed and stand out on the black background nicely (they’re trimmed in white). Overall, I think this figure is the best of the bunch. A great robot mode, a great alternate mode, good quality all around, and who doesn’t like a Transformer that can wear heels and still tear you apart?

Scattorshot:

Leader of the Technobots (Strafe, Lightspeed, Afterburner, Nosecone), Scattorshot (also known as Scattershot in G1, but probably renamed for trademark reasons) is the centerpiece of the combiner known as Computron, that was apparently created from Grimlock who had brains at the time (that’s the abbreviated version of the story; you can check it on the internet sometime). This version of Scattorshot is a repaint of the Vector Prime figure from the Cybertron Legends class.

As mentioned above, this is a repaint of the Vector Prime mould, which has a great amount of detail in such a small figure. In alternate mode, Scattorshot transforms into a Cybertron-type space ship. He’s very close to his G1 predecessor in both color and alternate mode. Personally, I think the Vector Prime mould fits the character well; the main colors in the palette are off-white, red, and a darker red, just like in the earlier toy, with a small bit of light blue (in the face and chest). The alternate mode is really good; high quality that marks this entire set is in this figure too, there’s a high level of detail in the mould, and it’s very sturdy. One aspect of this mode that is really hard to ignore is the complete lack of hidden robot parts. The face sits on the top of the spaceship, and since it’s painted light blue, it sticks out like a sore thumb. The arms are folded as such that they run along the sides of the ship and aren’t tucked away either. The legs fold under the ship decently, but it’s still obvious that they’re folded legs. I must say that the transformation is definitely not tricky or even clever, its main job is to get pieces into an alternate mode look, and that’s the purpose it serves. Robot mode is a little better though, and I was very astounded to see how well the colors matched up with to the old G1 figure in this mode. There is a lack of articulation though, and even though you can move his knees, hips and ankles, there really isn’t much you can do with him besides stand him straight up. On the back of the box, it shows Scattorshot with a bent elbow, but believe me, those arms sure don’t bend. They’re molded solid, and if you try to bend them… SNAP! Not that I’ve done this, but I can imagine what it would be like… The other problem with the robot mode is that the wings of the ship don’t have anywhere to go. They stick out and serve no real function in this mode other than to get in the way. The figure itself is a great representation of G1 Scattorshot, but I’m afraid that there’s just a few too many quirk’s about this figure that detract from the fun. Don’t get me wrong, he’s still neat, it just feels like a little more engineering would go a long way.

Silverbolt:

The Aerialbots (Air Raid, Fireflight, Skydive, Slingshot) are lead by Silverbolt, the Aerialbot that is afraid of heights (according to his Universe Ultra class bio). This version of Silverbolt is a repaint of Legends of Cybertron Thundercracker, and also a repaint of the Legends class Starscream from this very same Universe line. Coincidentally, you could assemble all the Aerialbots in the Legends class by picking up this Special Team Leaders set (Silverbolt), the Aerial Rivals set (Skydive, Air Raid) and the Classics Legends Fireflight. Well, you’d be pretty close anyway; you would just need to find a suitable replacement for Slingshot. If you have the money, go for it!!!

In alternate mode, Silverbolt is a jet that is very reminiscent of an F-18 Hornet. There’s probably a real jet counterpart that it matches, but that’s about the closest match I can think of. All in all, the alternate mode is quite stable, and is a solid representation of G1 Silverbolt, right down to the robot-tacked-to-a-plane look. The main color palette of Silverbolt is a very light grey with dark grey, red, silver, and gold highlights. In his jet mode, the paint detailing is really nice. The red highlights that run down the side of the jet fade into silver by the time they hit the tips of the wings, and silver is also detailed on the tail wings. A small Autobot symbol can be found on the top of the jet too. The mould detail in both modes is very light; all the other figures in this set are brimming with detail, and this one is really kind of bland. It’s still a nice mould, but more detailing would be welcome. The jet mode is really solid; I don’t think things will break off, but there are sections of the figure that don’t hold together well in jet mode: First, when you swing his body up to connect the nose of the jet to the body, the seam where they connect never is fully closed. Maybe it’s just mine, but it doesn’t seem to fit together tightly. The second flimsy part is Silverbolt’s weapon. Yeah! A Legends figure that actually comes with a weapon! Anyways, when you slide his weapon under the bottom side of the jet, it always pops off. I haven’t found a good way to get it to stay in place, but I will mention that it is on a little ball joint, so reattachment isn’t a problem. Silverbolt’s robot mode is also very solid, just like the jet mode. The one problem I have is articulation. I know, I know, he’s only a Legends class figure, but there really isn’t anything at all that can be done aside from moving his arms. His legs are stiff, they have no knees to speak of, and his head doesn’t swivel. His feet are huge in proportion to the rest of his body, but that is actually a good thing here, as it gives him a solid base to stand on. Balancing him is not a problem, even when you point his gun arm straight up for shooting Decepticons. The gold cockpit that rests on his chest is a nice little bit of detail, and it’s the only part that doesn’t match well with the G1 version; the first toy used to have quite a bit of red there. Lack of movement and all, Silverbolt has a pretty decent robot mode, a nicely painted jet mode, and is a decent overall version of the G1 Silverbolt in small form.

Marks out of 10 (As a Set):

Transformation: 3. In all the transformations, there’s nothing tricky or noteworthy. They’re simple yet fun.
Durability: 9. This set has great quality. Anything that could pop off is easily reattached, and I don’t think they’ll break anytime soon.
Fun: 9. It’s a neat set. You get 5 leaders of combiners in Legends form. If you’re lacking shelf space, they’re great versions of the characters they’re based on, and you get a good mix of Decepticons and Autobots. Plus, some of them actually have weapons!!!
Price: 10. I picked up mine for $16 US. That’s a great deal considering normal retail of individual Legends ranks in at $4-$5 a piece. So you get 5 Transformers for $4-$9 cheaper than buying them individually (not that they’re sold that way). That’s a bargain.
Overall: 9. This is a great set; not perfect, but great. Quality is top-notch, the mix of characters is great, and they all have ties to combiners from G1. You should at least find a Target or your country’s equivalent and heavily consider it. How can you go wrong?
Attachments
SpecialTeamLeaders_Boxart.jpg
SpecialTeamLeaders_Alt.JPG
SpecialTeamLeaders_Robot.JPG
ganon578

Universe Beachcomber Review-[PROOFED]

Post by ganon578 »

Name: Beachcomber
Allegiance: Autobot
Function: Geologist
Group: Universe G1 Series (Legends)

"Know the conflict within before facing the conflict without."

Generation 1 Bio:

Warfare holds no interest for Beachcomber; he much prefers to take long, lone journeys into the vast expanses of desert wilderness and along the rugged coastal shores that occupy so much of the American landscape. Only in these places of such stark, natural beauty does he feel he can completely escape the conflict between the Autobots and Decepticons. Only in these places can he purge himself of the tensions that sometimes interfere with his operating efficiency, and relax. He's cool-headed, low-key, personable; he's what Earthlings would refer to as "laid back." But despite his feelings to the contrary, he never shirks his responsibility to fight for the Autobot cause when called upon. Deep down he knows that until his side wins there is no true escape, no matter how far he travels into the desert.

Information/History:

Beachcomber is part of a Legends wave that is the start of what I think the Legends class should be all about. Small Transformers that aren’t just little versions of bigger Transformers (don’t get me wrong, some of the Legends are good even though they’re just wee versions of larger toys), and Beachcomber is part of a wave that consists of other minibots: Bumblebee and Brawn. At first seeing the photos of Beachcomber from Botcon, I knew I was going to pick him up. He’s a new mould, a new character in the Universe line, and he was just too cool to pass up…

Alternate Mode:

Beachcomber transforms into a small dune buggy, which is almost identical in look and size to the G1 minibot that he’s based on. The colors are pretty much spot on, except Hasbro used white in place of grey. I think the white works really well on him, and brings a little more life to the already bright blue that he is. In his modern toy, Beachcomber sports a higher wheelbase than the ‘bot he used to be, and he also now carries a spare tire on the back of the buggy along with a machine gun. Who knew such a laid back guy would be openly carrying around a gun? Looking back at the old toy, it’s amazing how similar the new one is to it, but also it seems like the old one looks like more of a go-cart than this version. Personally, I like the new version much better. Detail is decent; the tires have little traction grooves on them, the gun mould is great, even if it’s a little thin and brittle, and the roll bar/cockpit cage is silver, which coupled with the white front wheel wells and yellow headlights, makes the blue stand out well. Beachcomber actually has small black seats in the cockpit too, which gives a great touch of realism to such a small figure. If there was any problem I would have with the vehicle mode, it would be the lack of a visible Autobot symbol. The old G1 minibot had one on the hood, and this one doesn’t. But it really doesn’t matter here, because he’s just awesome in buggy mode. Quality is good, and I don’t think anything will break.

Robot Mode:

Beachcomber has a surprising amount of articulation in this mode. He has shoulders that allow his arms to bend up and down, but they can also be shifted a bit away from his body too. His legs are also quite articulate; the hips are on ball joints and can be moved about, and he actually has knees! His feet are large enough to give him a good amount of balance, and if you actually work at it, you can get him into a dynamic position. Detailing in the mould is about the same here as it is in buggy mode. He has moulded hands, a well-detailed face, and parts of his chest are moulded as such that they look like exhaust pipes. Color-wise, Beachcomber’s white really stands out here, and the paint applications are superb. His face (which is actually a lot larger than your typical Legends Transformer) is silver, and he has a light blue visor that has blue metallic flake in the paint. It’s a great job on the face, and his visor really sticks out. The chest is painted mostly white (as mentioned above) with some yellow and red detailing as well, with his Autobot symbol proudly resting on the top of the chest. He’s really durable in this mode; there are no real breakable parts that I can easily see outside the gun on his back. Beachcomber’s robot mode is great, and it’s a fantastic update to his G1 figure.

Marks out of 10:

Transformation: 5. It’s a simple transformation (as is with all Legends class Transformers), but it’s a lot of fun to switch him back and forth.
Durability: 8. He’s rugged, but the gun on his back might break if you fiddle with it too much.
Fun: 9. Two great modes. The wheels roll well and keep him high enough to roll on carpet. He’s got a great amount of articulation for such a small figure, plus he’s got a sparkly visor. What’s not to love about that?
Price: 10. Inexpensive. Fit him into your budget. Seriously.
Overall: 10. He gets high marks for the mix of fun, durability, and coolness. He’s super affordable, and a great display or play figure in both modes. Well worth your money. This is exactly what the Legends class should be intended for…
Attachments
Universe_Beachcomber_Alt.JPG
Universe_Beachcomber_Robot.JPG
Transformer Kamen

Universe Cyclonus [PROOFED]

Name: Cyclonus
Function: Decepticon Sub-Commander
Subgroup: Universe (Generation 1 Series) Deluxe Vehicles

“All Hail Galvatron!”

Constructed from the cast-off chassis of deactivated Decepticon warriors, Cyclonus was programmed by Unicron to be loyal only to Galvatron. Powered by nuclear engines and a small fragment of his creator’s supernatural power, Cyclonus wields enough might to sterilize the surface of an inhabited world by himself. He never unleashes this power without his commander’s leave, however, and he focuses all of his energy on ensuring that Galvatron is obeyed without question by those under his command.

Strength: 8 Intelligence: 8 Speed: 9 Endurance: 8 Rank: 9 Courage: 9 Fireblast: 7 Skill: 7

Cyclonus. First appearing in the 1986 animated Transformers: The Movie, he was forged from the dead body of the Insecticon Bombshell (Skywarp! :glance:), and from there he became, in my opinion, the only Decepticon of any note during the entirety of the third season of the original cartoon. He was smart, competent, had some notion of personal honor, he was loyal, but not blindly so, and also second-in-command. Such a combination of traits has not been seen in a Decepticon Sub-Commander before nor since. Sadly, after becoming a Targetmaster in the last season of the American run of The Transformers, he was regulated to comic relief in the Japanese series, and then his name was reassigned to a no-talent boob in Transformers: Armada. It’s been a long road, but Cyclonus is back, baby!

As part of the 25th anniversary branch of the Universe line and part of the Generation 1 (The Epic Begins!) sub-series, Cyclonus returns to his original characterization as the loyal creation of Unicron, which, I believe, is the first mention of Unicron in the Universe line (sans the re-release of the big bot himself, that is ;)). Unexpectedly, Cyclonus also pays homage to his status as a Targetmaster by the inclusion of his Nebulan partner Nightstick. No, the other one. Ah, forget it. He’d probably rub you out anyway. We will start with a short review of him, though. (What can I say? He made me an offer I couldn’t refuse.)

Nightstick:

Likely conceptual precursors to the Minicons, the Targetmasters were a group of Nebulans who binary-bonded themselves to specific Transformers. This gave the Nebulan the ability to transform into a living weapon and the Transformer in question the “advantage” of a weapon that could act on its own.

In Nebulan mode, Nightstick is humanoid, and proportioned appropriately, visually making a nice little figure. Primarily, he is a deep purple, with light grey for his feet and waist. Black shoulders break up the purple nicely, and gold-face with red eyes give him a distinct appearance. The paint applications are very smooth, particularly impressive for such a small figure. His detailing, though small, clearly indicates the mechanical nature of the exo-suit while. Articulation, as you may expect, comes in as a bit limited. He has 360 degree rotation at the shoulder, ninety degree bend at the elbow, and slightly more than ninety degree rotation at the hips. Remarkably, the only bit of gun kibble visible is the main barrel hanging between his legs. Sadly, there’s not much that could have been done about it, though I think it would have been cool had it been removable and possible that he could hold it as his own weapon.

Nightstick’s Targetmaster mode is a tri-barreled gun. The transformation, though simple, manages to hide all but Nightstick’s hands. However, his arms can be rotated in all manner of positions to hide them as well as possible. He does, unfortunately, have a large hole were the barrel swings down over the gun handle, but, otherwise, he looks great!

This was an unexpected homage, yet one that was nice to see and even nicer to see done so well.

Alternate Mode:

On the package, Cyclonus is billed as a hypersonic star-fighter. I suppose we should just be glad that he’s not a “Cybertronian” [insert vehicle here]. Sleek, with sweeping angles, Cyclonus strikes a profile of deadly speed and precision. His detailing is not much, but great care was taken with what is present, only adding to the sense that this is a well crafted machine. Care just as great, was taken with his paint as well. Though lavender in the original cartoon, this time around Cyclonus is painted an absolutely gorgeous deep shade of purple. Light grey, as with Nightstick, breaks up the purple, and an almost metallic copper gives just the right amount of highlighting. A touch of silver brings out the tips of the guns on his nose; a bit of black for his flanking tri-barreled cannon and his retractable molded landing gear finish off his colour scheme.

As pretty as this mold is, Cyclonus doesn’t escape without any flaws. While the majority of the spacecraft locks together tightly, the rear of the craft hangs open, revealing the bits used for the robot’s transformation. I think this flaw could have been avoided, or at least reduced, by allowing the feet to angle more to close the gap. Another gap appears in the nose of the fighter where the robot head is hidden. To the designer’s credit, the robot “ears” do cleverly mimic the nose guns, but the head is still fairly obvious and closer inspection will reveal quite a bit of empty space between the nose piece and the robot head.

Cyclonus can interact with Nightstick in Targetmaster mode by plugging the proffered peg into the hole behind Cyclonus’ cockpit. He can swivel 360 degrees, though the tip of the main barrel will clip the tips of Cyclonus’ stabilizing fins. This looks ridiculous anyway, so leaving him off is no big deal. The hole is a standard 3mm size; however, so if you’ve some left over weapons, you may plug those in, if you think that they’ll look better.

He may have some minor flaws, but make no mistake. Cyclonus has one of the best vehicle modes of the 2008 Universe line

Robot Mode:

In robot mode, Cyclonus is the thinnest of the current Universe figures. Even his shoulders, which absorb most of the rear of the vehicle mode manage to look sleek rather than bulky, accentuating and complimenting the thinness of his arms. He doesn’t look anorexic or out of proportion either. Besides the colouring (which is the same as in vehicle mode) Cyclonus is a dead ringer for his animated model. Of particular note is how the robot lacks kibble. The spacecraft’s wings are really the only part of the figure that hint that he has an alternate mode at all. This holds true even from the rear. His vehicle mode’s cockpit and Nightstick’s anchor point are visible, yet unobtrusive.

Cyclonus doesn’t lack for articulation either. His shoulders, head, and thighs have unlimited rotation. He has a ninety degree bend in elbows and knees, plus ninety degree lift to the side from the shoulder. Ball-joints in his hips give him 180 degree rotation and ninety degree rotation to the side. Finally, he has unlimited rotation below his elbow, a point which is pretty much useless.

Nightstick fits securely into Cyclonus’ right hand, which is molded with his index finger in a “trigger” position. A nice touch. Cyclonus’ left hand does not have a hole. But! For an unexpected nod to the Japanese Headmasters series Nightstick can also plug into the anchor revealed when either hand is folded in. So, Cyclonus can have Nightstick as his left hand and hold another weapon in his right. Nice. Also, although this is a standard gimmick, Cyclonus’ light-piping (red-plastic) looks fantastic and works extremely well.

Thus far I have not found anything technically wrong with Cyclonus. I would have liked bicep and waist articulation but his transformation scheme nullifies both possibilities.

Transformation: Difficult enough to be satisfying but easy enough not to be irritating. His leg transformation is unique! 4

Durability: Only two balls joints and lots of swiveling parts, only some of which look like they’ll pop back on easily. Even so, he still seems quite well put together. 7

Fun: X I’m unashamedly bias but he still breaks the scale.

Price: Currently around $7 USD. Why not buy three? 10

Overall: If Universe Galvatron is an example of What-Not-To-Do, Cyclonus is what happens when things are done right. Find him as soon as possible! 10
Attachments
cyclonusredux003.jpg
Cyclonus002.jpg
Cyclonus001.jpg
Nightstick001.jpg
Nightstick002.jpg
Transformer Kamen

More pics. Yes, I'm still geeking out. I do not care.

1) With Nightstick and extra guns
2) Gun Arm
3) Overkill
4) Ariel Assault!
5) Versus Ultra Magnus
Attachments
cyclonusredux006.jpg
cyclonusredux007.jpg
cyclonusredux005.jpg
cyclonusredux004.jpg
cyclonusredux002.jpg
Clay

Post by Clay »

Your Nightstick connects to the left stump okay? Mine's too tight, I think. It keeps popping off. It connects to the right stump fine, though.
Transformer Kamen

Yeah. It is a much better fit on the right stump, but once it's on the left it stays just as well.