Total votes: 0

Transformer Kamen

[uploaded]

Post by Transformer Kamen »

Name: Shockwave
Function: Decepticon Deep Cover Spy
Subgroup: TFAnimated Voyager Vehicles

“Secrets are the foundation of power.”

Shockwave is the ultimate spy. Able to change his voice, energy, signature, and even his appearance at will, he has spent years infiltrating the Autobots power structure. Graduating near the top of the class from the Autobot Academy, he moved through the ranks of the Elite Guard*, eventually becoming head of the Intelligence Division. Not once did anyone suspect the bright, friendly Autobot know as Longarm of being a devious enemy spy.

Galactic Powers and Abilities:
-Expert code breaker and thief
-Enjoys blackmailing Autobots in positions of power
-Stole his Autobot identity from old historical files
*In the Animated cartoon Longarm Prime is head of the Cybertron Intelligence Division, but he is not actually a part of the Elite Guard.

In the G1 cartoon, Shockwave was Megatron’s long-suffering man on Cybertron voiced by Cory Burton. In the Animated cartoon, Shockwave is Megatron’s man (suffering or not we don’t know yet) on Cybertron voiced by Cory Burton. Otherwise, the two have little in common. At this point in the cartoon (Season 2 has just ended), we really don’t know much about Shockwave at all. About the only thing that is known, is represented here in toy form. Shockwave, as a spy, can transform into his own tank mode (not yet seen on the show) and into Longarm as well as “Longarm’s” alt mode, that of a crane. The idea is pretty impressive, though not exactly new. Punch/Counterpunch from G1 also had two robot mode configurations. However, it’s not a concept that’s been revisited in toy form since. That alone made me want to take a look at this figure.

Since Longarm is a doubly fictional character (well, he’s the alter ego of an imaginary character...), I’ll refer to him as “Infiltration” mode in the respective parts of the review.

Alternate Mode:

Shockwave’s true vehicle mode is an “H-tank”. For a while, as I was fiddling with him, I really hated this mode. I thought it looked nothing like a tank. The proportions were wrong, and it just seemed like a jumbled mess. Then, I rotated the turret 180 degrees so that it pointed toward the longer legs of the “H” and the change in perception was substantial. I won’t claim that it’s suddenly the BEST EVAR! but I can look at and see a tank rather than a robot lying on its belly.

As noted, the tri-barrel turret turns a full circle. All three barrels can angle up, with the smaller barrels having far more freedom. They can angle down a bit and angle up at any point on a circle until they are in their “hidden” position pointing straight back. Although, the red tips on the side barrels look like eyes on stalks, the articulation gives him multi-attitudinal aiming capabilities. Even so, it’s not too exciting. Even less exciting are the “rolling” wheels in the treads.

Aside from some rivets and a few instances of grooving, the figure is largely smooth, in keeping with the Animated style. Though, being a military vehicle , Shockwave looks slightly less cartoonish than others; on the other hand, having an alt mode that is completely fictional (and not particularly viable) might negate any gains on that count.

Very dull grey plastic populates the majority of the figure. The rest, black, off-white, and a metallic teal break up the grey parts, in no small thanks to being the colours of the mode’s main and only weapon. A bit of silver emblazons the Decepticon coat-of-arms near the end of his barrel, and red fills in the muzzle flashes of the two smaller cannon.

All in all, while there’s nothing horribly wrong with this mode, it just doesn’t stand out as exceptional either.

Infiltration Mode:

A crane is a bit rarer an alt mode than a tank, and I don't think we've seen one in quite this configuration before, so Shockwave gets kudos for that. The only real differences between this mode and his vehicle mode are the angle of his treads and (admittedly cool automorph) reconfiguring of the cannon into a crane. Whether anyone, after having seen his true alt mode, would think that this an entirely new figure, I’m not so sure of. Then there’s the Decepticon symbol in clear view underneath the crane arm. Oops.

Like his tank mode, this has no major flaws, and I think that it would have worked well enough on its own (assuming they gave it a gimmick of some sort).

Robot Mode:

If Shockwave’s alternate mode was a bit boring, it’s because all the effort was put into his robot mode! He takes the ultra-thin Animated aesthetic to an extreme that makes him look scarecrow-esque while maintaining enough bulk in his limbs to refrain from looking gangly. Amazingly, he’s slightly taller than Lockdown! Finally! Other highlights. He has wicked pincer hands, each finger with independent articulation. A translucent red plastic bauble gives him the classic Shockwave cyclops eye, and he has a nice shiny gold Decepticon emblem on his chest. I’d also like to take this opportunity to address a misconception I’ve heard others bandy about: that his Infiltration mode’s face is visible. While this does seem to be the case at first (this was another disappointment I had when first playing with him), Shockwave’s false face can actually swing completely upward, leaving Shockwave with the wholly black face as depicted in the cartoon.

Colours are largely the same as his alt mode. Pure white is the only new colour, appearing on his chest. Black makes a larger bid here as well, side-lining the grey to a large extent.

Articulation is fabulous. His transformations require many joints, but almost all of them end up in useful places. Please note that the instruction sheet has Shockwave mistransformed. Besides the aforementioned face-tilt, the entire neck assembly can extend, allowing Shockwave neck articulation superior to any other figure in the line. A second note: There have been reports that his “thumb” claws are held so tightly that the plastic breaks when rotating the part. If this part feels tight, play it safe! Use a screwdriver (2.5mm Phillip’s Head worked best for me) to loosen the nearest screw the highly scientific measurement of a smidgen. In layman’s terms that's about a quarter to a half turn.

My only complaint here comes from the chin strap on Shockwave’s helmet. It keeps popping off, which, while annoying in an of itself, makes it easily lost. Could also be a choking hazard for animals and small children.

Overall, a good showing here.

Infiltration Mode:

First off, kudos to Hasbro. This is exactly what an Infiltration mode should be. It uses all the same parts as the robot mode, yet feels like a completely different character. Where his robot mode was long of limb, this mode is short and stocky. All Shockwave’s robot parts are present, some of them quite obvious, yet none of them ruin the effect. However, if you look at the pictures accompanying this review, you’ll see what does ruin the effect. Yep, he forgot to take the Decepticon logo off his crane arm! D’oh!

Unsurprisingly, the only colour difference from robot mode is the silver Autobot symbol on his chest (which, by the way, can easily become scuffed in tank mode). Likewise, Shockwave’s articulation remains about the same; he only loses his head movement. In another clever bit, though I suppose this is cheating, Shockwave can use the same ability which gave him the name “Longarm” in the episode “Autobot Camp”. All you need to do, naturally, is to transform one or more limbs into Shockwave’s regular configuration. This looks much more impressive using the legs rather than the arms, I’ll admit. Either way it does add a bit of play value.

This mode has a lot going for it. I am quite pleased.

Marks out of ten for the following:

Transformation: Easy going from vehicle to robot, but a bit fiddly the other way round. 4

Durability: Everything seems sturdy so far, but he does have lots of little hinges and tabs, so I wouldn’t recommend rough play. 6

Fun: Neither of this alt modes are particularly exciting, but his robot modes are both pretty awesome. Also, the automorph that flips out the crane arm or barrel on his weapon is far more enjoyable than it has right to be. But then, I'm easily amused. :swirly: 8

Price: $20 USD. Overall, I think it’s a good deal. 7

Overall: Shockwave is a toy born out of an interesting concept. It’s no doubt difficult to make a figure that turns into two distinct vehicles and a robot, and since Shockwave is supposed to turn have a second completely different robot with it’s own alt mode...it’s understandable that there would have to be some sacrifices somewhere. I believe that the goods points out-weight enough of the flaws to recommended him. 8.
Attachments
superrealshockwave.jpg
shockwave007.jpg
shockwave005.jpg
shockwave002.jpg
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Nice review.

He's a four-changer? I thought he's a mere Counterpunch-Punch, tank mode and two robot mode.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Well, it's kinda rare to see a 'bot turn into a tank...

If they made a Punch-Counterpunch, that would be awesome. I have to say, this is so far the only crane former that's got my interest. Unless you count Armada Smokescreen.

What's the automorph?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Transformer Kamen

Thanks!

Yep. Says 4-modes right on the package! :lol:
Treadshot A1 wrote:
Well, it's kinda rare to see a 'bot turn into a tank...

If they made a Punch-Counterpunch, that would be awesome. I have to say, this is so far the only crane former that's got my interest. Unless you count Armada Smokescreen.

What's the automorph?
You're right!...Unless you count G1 Brawl, G1 Warpath, G1 Blitzwing, G2 Megatron, Armada Megatron, Movie Brawl, Animated Blitzwing, Armada Devastator, Cybertron Unicron, Universe Galvatron, Legends Warpath, and quite a few others I can't pull off the top of my head.

Did I forget to describe his Automorph? Crap. And it's completely awesome too! Good catch. :up: Basically, folding down the barrel of his gun flips out the crane arm, and pulling a little tab flips the barrel back into position.

I would love a new Punch figure. Shockwave here proves Hasbro has the know-how to make a figure with two distinct and well articulated modes!
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Transformer Kamen wrote:You're right!...Unless you count G1 Brawl, G1 Warpath, G1 Blitzwing, G2 Megatron, Armada Megatron, Movie Brawl, Animated Blitzwing, Armada Devastator, Cybertron Unicron, Universe Galvatron, Legends Warpath, and quite a few others I can't pull off the top of my head.
I knew someone would say that. I meant 'bot, as in AUTOBOT. So basically only the 2 Warpath count. :)
Transformer Kamen wrote:Hasbro has the know-how
Really? :p
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Treadshot A1 wrote:I knew someone would say that. I meant 'bot, as in AUTOBOT. So basically only the 2 Warpath count.
Flak, Sidetrack, Guzzle, Hardhead...

Any chance you're going to stop nitpicking and start contributing a review or two of your own any time soon?
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

I have done one review. :)

Anyway, thanks for those four tf's. I forgot.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

All the fans here but no one mentioned Omega Supreme.. Or War Within Grimlock....;) And one of the Pretenders must count for a tank.

Plus, Energon Signal Flare and repaints. There's also Demolishor, The Fallen, various Minicons, et cetera et cetera...
sageofgrapefruit

Post by sageofgrapefruit »

Figure and Review: Awesome! :up:
Signatures must not exceed 200 pixels tall
Clay

Post by Clay »

Okay, so overwriting the old review is what you want? I can do that.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Yep, overwriting the older reviews. ;) Thanks!
Clay

Post by Clay »

Alright, can do. It's already in the database, so when I get finished uploading everything and update the main page, it won't show up since the entry was added a long time ago, but it'll be there.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

okay, no probs! Thanks again! :)
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Demolisher and Fallen are not Autobots, are they? [/serious question]

I'm not sure if Signal flare really is a tank. I know he's got treads and other tanks like stuff, but i just don't really see it as a tank. The energon weapon thing makes me think of a comm. truck. :lol:

War within Grimmers counts. OS...hmm...only part of him is the tank. Does he really count?

Which Pretender is that?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Whoops.

Signal Flare's based on the MASER tanks from Godzilla. So says Wikipedia!

No, wait, Landmine's an asteroid mining vehicle.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Good review man, but in the pictures Longarm's bot mode is mistransformed. His hands/lower forearms need to be rotated back half a turn. Also in the picture of Shockwave's bot mode, his shoulders need to be clicked up, flush with his chest. ;)
Transformer Kamen

Ackula wrote:Good review man, but in the pictures Longarm's bot mode is mistransformed. His hands/lower forearms need to be rotated back half a turn. Also in the picture of Shockwave's bot mode, his shoulders need to be clicked up, flush with his chest. ;)

:eek: How embarrassing.

I will upload corrected pics tonight.

EDIT: It appears in a rabid fit of uploading, Clay has already put this review on site. I guess everyone will just have to point and laugh. :p
Detective Barricade

Animated Swoop Review - [PROOFED]

Post by Detective Barricade »

Name: Swoop
Function: Dinobot Bombardier
Sub-Group: Animated Deluxe class

“Bombs away!”

Like the other Dinobots, Swoop prefers to be left alone on Dinobot Island, where he can soar and dive without worrying about the Decepticons taking pot shots at his wings. When he does have to return to the mainland to battle the Decepticons, however, he enjoys the way people scatter when they see his shadow. That, and smashing trees with his ball and chain doesn’t compare to the satisfying crunch it makes when it bashes into Decepticon armor.

Galactic Powers and Abilities:
- Sonic scream shorts out audio sensors.
- Ball and chain emits heat capable of melting other robots.
- Wings collect solar energy to power weapons.

When Transformers Animated started, I had no idea that they had planned on bringing in the Dinobots (Well, most of them). Then the episode “Blast From the Past”aired. I eagerly awaited the three Animated Dinobots since then. Does Swoop disappoint? Let’s find out!

Alternate mode:

Swoop’s primary mode is a robotic Pterodactyl. Like the other two Dinobots, he was originally a robot built for a dinosaur-based theme park until Bulkhead accidentally broke them, Megatron “helped” rebuild them, and the Key brought them to life. The toy itself looks pretty intimidating with its sharp claws, talons and beak. Swoop also manages to look more convincingly like a Pterodactyl than his G1 namesake ever did. There’s also some “Cybertronian” detail on the back of the wings. His colors play a very nice homage to the G1 character, those being grey, blue, red, and gold, as well as a silver Autobot symbol just above the beak. He’s also the only Dinobot in Animated that can carry his weapon. That’s certainly a welcome feature! Another cool and very unique design is that the robot eyes are used for the Pterodactyl eyes through “eye holes”.

Transforming Swoop is very much like most of his past toys have done, with some twists. Unpeg the wings from the back, straighten the legs, twist the waist around, flip the beak down, split the sides of the body and raise them into position. Peg the wings onto the back, and that’s pretty much it! One important thing: when bringing the robot head up, pull on the neck, not the head itself. While the ball joint there is fairly tight, it won’t take much to pull the head right off. And getting it back on, I’ve heard, is next to impossible.

Robot mode:

As is per usual of the Transformers Animated figures, Swoop’s robot mode is almost totally accurate to the show. Where his two buddies were both thick and bulky, Swoop is very lean and slender. That’s really well suiting of him! The only new color in robot mode is the blueish silver on his face. He’s got a very decent range of motion, with 18 points of articulation, and sort of a waist joint. The waist is clearly meant only for transformation since the tip of the beak sits in a groove made just for it, but there’s still some wiggle room. I think that was a clever design to allow this.

Now for Swoop’s ball and chain/ flail/mace. It’s got a huge handle, however he can only hold it in one hand. The handle also has two grooves on it on either side which his hand fits over, allowing him to hold it surprisingly well. The ball itself has a translucent orange “flame” piece sandwiched inside, but it doesn’t do anything. It’s what remains of an abandoned gimmick, whereby the flames would pop out of the end a little. I don’t know why it was abandoned, as a child would be more likely to try and swallow Animated SnarlSlag’s club, mistaking it for a Cheeto. And like Oil Slick, the chain seems a little short. Both the flames and the chain can be modified very easily if you want to. I may do that someday, but I personally don’t think it makes all that much of a difference.

Marks out of ten for the Following:

Transformation: 4 Easy enough, but a few parts won’t want to peg together right away.
Durability: 7 Fairly tight, but if that head pops off, it could be all over for this toy. Be careful.
Fun: 9 He’s really quite fun even just standing there looking awesome!
Price 10 About that much in USD ($7.77 in Wal-Mart). A real steal!
Overall: 9 Despite a few shortcomings, you really shouldn’t leave this on the shelf. Possibly the best Swoop since G1!
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!
Sades

Post by Sades »

Interesting review! Could there possibly maybe be less exclamation points!
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Transformer Kamen

Good Review.

Swoop does look quite nice. Not being interested in the other two Dinobots, though, I really can't say that I'll be picking him up (no matter how much he taunts me from the shelves) as I hate to have an incomplete set. :swirly: