-poll deleted-

Yes
No votes
No
No votes

Total votes: 0

electro girl

Post by electro girl »

numbat wrote:Spellcheck sorts most of that!

:up:
I copy and paste it onto MS word and fix it there.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
zeoman4.5

Review Of Universe Legends Hound [proofed - needs photos]

Post by zeoman4.5 »

Name: Hound
Allegiance: Autobot
Function: Scout
Group: Universe Legends of Cybertron (LOC)

Hound was one of the original G1 season 1 Autobots who arrived on earth with Optimus Prime in Ark. He was well known for his ability to use holograms for such purposes as creating a replica rocket base to trick Decepticons or a giant scary Autobot to prevent Devastator from finishing of the Dinobots. He was one of the few Earth loving Autobots and even secretly wanted to become human so he could fit in with life on Earth.

In all of G1 I don't think there is a more underestimated Autobot. Seriously, he didn't even get a second toy appearance until the Alternators line – which was his first original mold. His G1 form was a reused Diaclone Jeep robot. As far as show/comic appearances go, he was in G1 up until season 3, in the G1 comics, the G2 comics and now he appears in the current IDW line. This was one of the cooler G1 characters, but unlike Cliffjumper, Mirage, and many of his other contemporaries he remains left in obscurity. However Hasbro has finally decided to dust of ol' Hound and give him a shot with this Legends class figure and the Deluxe figure set to appear in the following year.

So let’s get this going with, of course...

Robot Mode:

Like I do in pretty much every LOC figure review I've written, I shall start with the robot mode. The first thing that comes to my mind when I see this 'bot is "wow, he looks just like the G1." The body is perfectly proportioned to the G1 TV show appearance of Hound, which is simply awesome. He is about the standard height for a Legends class figure and is well detailed. He is mostly green, but the colour scheme uses two different shades. A dark green is used for the arms, upper legs, feet, and wheels, while the chest lower legs, and helmet are a forest green. He has lots of little details, including a silver engine block on his chest along with a pair of white head lights and a single yellow star on his right wheel arch flare. The Jeep bed forms the lower legs resulting in the charcoal seen on the front of his legs. His mid section is black with a pair of yellow vents. His face looks good, very authentic right down to the G1 style blue eyes.

Hound is fairly well articulated, with ball and socket joints at his shoulders and hips. His knees and feet are movable and add to poseability. Unfortunately because of how large his chest is with the attached wheels, his range of arm motion is somewhat limited.

Alas, Hound lacks his hologram emitter and gun, but is still rather fun to play around with. He is a definite display piece. The only thing I'd complain about cosmetically is that his head stretches back a little to far (it’s quite deep), but other than that he's a perfect copy of the original.

Alternate Mode:

Hound transformers into a military Jeep. Since most Legends are made with size and space in mind he is lacking the machine gun on the back that the original G1 figure had.

The predominant color, once again, is green. More of the forest green is visible in this mode, but the darker green is still there on the seats, running boards / side steps and wheels. I was originally worried when I figured out his arms became the running boards / side steps, but they look good and the robot hands are not showing so one wouldn't even be able to tell. Hasbro did a really good job on this guy's vehicle form. All of the robot parts are well hidden and he really looks like a Jeep. This has got to be one of the best LOC vehicles I've ever laid eyes on. The wheels roll well and make him fun to play with as well as look at.

The only complaints I have with this mode is that the windshield piece is quite loose and that without the gun he looses some of his authenticity. Still, he is quite nice and very fun.

Marks out of ten for the following:

Transformation: 2 – For difficulty, but 8 for fun.
Durability: 9 – Very sturdy – it will take a lot to brake this guy.
Fun: 8 – Very fun to play with or to display.
Price: 7 – $4.99 is cheaper than most Transformers nowadays, but it’s still kinda steep for such a small figure.
Overall: 8 – He is a great little Transformer. A fitting homage to the Autobot Hound and G1 style. A must have for collectors of small figures or serious G1 fans.
Detective Barricade

Post by Detective Barricade »

At least the neon is spread out in little patches, instead of huge areas covered with it! (Incinerator) One thing I have to wonder is what was Hasbro thinking when they painted his eyes, but casted the piece translucent?
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!
numbat

Post by numbat »

electro girl wrote:I copy and paste it onto MS word and fix it there.
Aye - but it can also be used to quickly ex-spell (hah hah) all the witches.

;)

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

electro girl wrote:I copy and paste it onto MS word and fix it there.
Versatile. From review to repaints. Only limit is the prefix.
numbat wrote:Aye - but it can also be used to quickly ex-spell (hah hah) all the witches.

;)
Green line...

Three different puns in one hiphenated word. Wow! Here, take this! :drink:

Great review, EG. I still say go Metallic. Full of metallic-y goodness.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
numbat

Post by numbat »

Ace review zeoman!

:up:

That's it proofed.

After all, I couldn't resist reading about a new Legends figure - and a new mould, no less!

I really can't wait to get hold of Hound (and Jazz and Megs) - the latest LOC figures are right up my alley.

The upcoming LOC Minibots (Bumblebee, Beachcomber [what's up with giving the pacifist a gun, but not Hound, eh?], Brawn and Cosmos) are a dream though! Minibots are coming back! Yay!

:clap:

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Also items on eBay.
numbat

Post by numbat »

I do believe the Hasbro toy was very pale grey. But he looks a lot more like the Classics release, and not so anime accurate. The Henkei version looks just like the techspec card art / anime version, but not much like any mainstream release of the G1 toy (only the eHobby version - link in review to TFU.info page).

I'll try and get photos of this guy up, next to Classics, later today. (I can make one voyage down stairs a day I reckon...)

I don't have my G1 Astrotrain anymore, I'm afraid, though. The crippled husk (the pins had slid out from the train side panels in one leg and the opposite wing!) went in my first great TF purge. And, frankly, the Classics/Henkei versions do the guy far better justice.

(On a side note, does Universe Galvatron do more justice to the character than the Takara Anime accurate G1 reissue/repaint? Hmmm...)

Also items on eBay.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Here are the images.
Attachments
additional image.jpg
box art.jpg
robot mode.jpg
alt mode.jpg
numbat

Post by numbat »

Thanks - any chance of a photo of the robot mode without the feet cut off?

Also items on eBay.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

numbat wrote:Thanks - any chance of a photo of the robot mode without the feet cut off?
Its just all about the feet with you wildlife conservationists isn't it?:wall:
numbat

Post by numbat »

electro girl wrote:Its just all about the feet with you wildlife conservationists isn't it?:wall:
Damned straight - how you supposed to track a real life wild Rescue Ratchet if you don't know what the feet look like, eh?

:eyebrow:

Also items on eBay.
numbat

Post by numbat »

At last - photos of Henkei Astrotrain!
Attachments
Henkei_D03_Astrotrain_Robot.jpg
Henkei_D03_Astrotrain_Attack_Mode.jpg
Henkei_D03_Astrotrain_Train2.jpg
Henkei_D03_Astrotrain_Train1.jpg
Henkei_D03_Astrotrain_Shuttle.jpg

Also items on eBay.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Some comparison photos between Classics and Henkei Astrotrains...
Attachments
Henkei_D03_Astrotrain_Classics_Astrotrain_Robots.jpg
Henkei_D03_Astrotrain_Classics_Astrotrain_Trains.jpg
Henkei_D03_Astrotrain_Classics_Astrotrain_Shuttles.jpg

Also items on eBay.
numbat

Post by numbat »

And an updated group shot of bullet trains!

:swirly:
Attachments
Bullet_Trains.jpg

Also items on eBay.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

numbat wrote:Damned straight - how you supposed to track a real life wild Rescue Ratchet if you don't know what the feet look like, eh?

:eyebrow:
You never see any in the wild in my neck of the woods. Although they may have a Cybershark at the deep.:lol:

In all seriousness though are the feet absolutley neccessary?
numbat

Post by numbat »

Not absolutely - it's good to get photos with reviews at all!

It is better if photos can show the entire toy though.

But if it's a hassle, don't worry about it.

If anyone's too peeved, they can take their own photos of the guy.

Also items on eBay.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Ny group shot of shuttles? that would be awesome. Atrtrain Family Reunion Shot! :lol:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Sadly, all I can think of now is "Triple Takeover" .. I half expect Railracer to take out a water main... :)

But, yes, Henkei Astrotrain is a very tight homage. I'll have to pick him up sometime.
Blackjack

Review for Animated Snag (Snarl) [PROOFED, has photos]

Post by Blackjack »

Sorry for the long delay, my computer's ben formatted. Snarl/Snag is finally done. Being a beastie, I'm sure numbat has something, okay, a lot of things, to say about this. Enjoy.

Name: Snarl
Other names: Slag/Snag
Allegiance: Autobot
Subgroup: Dinobot
Function: Smasher (hell yeah!)
Alt mode: Triceratops

"Snarl smash!"-- Snarl's motto

Right. You have noticed the three names on top. On all packaging and the cartoon, the name is Snarl. The official name. However, the alternate mode and everything of this one Dinobot is of G1 Slag. Why didn't Hasbro use the name Slag? Although having the trademark for it, Hasbro was worried that the name Slag will hinder the sales on parts at UK. Thus, Snarl. However, being a mixture of Snarl and Slag, in this review I have decided to call him Snag. Okay? This is like Bumblejumper all over again...

Snarl/Snag is a member of the Dinobots, who in Animated is comprised of Grimlock, Swoop, and this fellow. I have loved Dinosaurs ever since I was a kid. My dad bought me Transformers: Dinobots not because they are TFs, but because they are dinos. Anyway, my first ever Transformer was a BM Dinobot named Airraptor. He is gone now. After the 2007 Movie my interest in Transformers blossomed and I begin collecting them seriously. Reading the Marvel comics, I quickly fell in love with Ratchet, Shockwave, Megatron, the Constructicons and, of course, the Dinobots.

About animated Snag now. As Snarl, he was among the Dinosaur animations upgraded by Megatron brought to life by Sari's Cyber Key. Wait, no, Allspark key. Snarl played as Grimlock's sidekick, and always appeared with his boss. Later the Dinobots became allies of the Autobots.

History time. The name Snarl was first given to the stegosaurus Dinobot from Generation 1, while Slag was the Triceratops Dinobot. Snarl had a knack for not appearing in TFTM. Both Snarl and Slag were re-released in a different colour scheme in G2. The next Snarl was a different one, a Tasmanian devil toy-only Maximal from Beast Wars. This Snarl appeared in IDW's Beast Wars comics, where he was able to disappear. Next Snarl was a toy-only lion from Beast Machines. Another Snarl was released under Cybertron, this time transforming into a wolf. Next, Snarl is back to a Dinobot, and this is the version we're talking about.

ALTERNATE MODE

Snag transforms into a mechanical Triceratops. By Beast Wars classification standards he should be a Transmetal, as he has a secondary attack mode, although it is barely different, only with extra fire 'popping' out from the forelimbs. Hey, that's like the Monsterbots!

Comparing Snag to a Jurassic Park triceratops toy in my room, Snag duplicates the triceratops faithfully. The only difference is Snag's pudgy legs. And Snag is very pudgy in both modes. Maybe me Snarl need to loose weight to star in movie.

Snag is... is... is... soooooo cute in this mode! Like the G1 Cassette Dinos, this guy has a cute (and kick ass) beast mode.

He's mainly dark grey, gold for the tail, head and claws, with red and black for detailing. And AllSpark blue for the eye. A Triceratops means 'three horns', but Snag's third horn, the one on the beak, is not too visible.

You get a seriously fun Dinobot. I can just imagine Snag tearing through Decepticons like a rhino. Very fun to play with too.

As the tradition of all Beast transformers, some degree of kibble is shown. In Snag's case it's the robot head, on the back. It seriously distracts from the look. Can't Hasbro do something about it?

Overall, an excellent, playable, poseable, durable and cute (kickass too) beast mode. But there's still the...

ROBOT MODE

Yup, pudgy describes him. Like the beast mode, who probably charges like a heavyweight rhino (no offense Headstrong), Snag is bulky and has thick limbs in robot mode.

Oh, let's talk character. Slag is a psychopath that loves to burn stuff and kill. Yet in War Within and IDW he seems the third intelligent Dinobot, after Swoop and Grimlock. But that's not saying much. Snarl is a desert warrior, a loner who wants to go home to Cybertron, and is only truly happy in battle. Animated Snag, however, is a simple guy who wants to show how powerful he is. And how does he do it? Snag smash.

The head of Snag's beast mode is placed on the chest. It is a bit too far out for my liking, and seriously makes Snag look like a heavyweight from the side. It can be pulled out even further like beast mode to be a odd 'attack mode'. Very ugly. The shoulder flames are still accessible and looks better in robot mode.

Snag's rear legs become his arms. While not having elbows, the five fingers are molded, and the thumb moves separately. They grab the club (more on that later) life-likely. The forelegs become the feet, with almost no knee.

The robot head is squat, and is nothing like G1. It has three red horns on top, making a better resemblance to the beast mode. The tail splits at the back, creating a horn-like structure near the shoulders, making Snag look 'Me big. And Me spiky. You want fight Snag?' I like the way the tail splits. It doesn't create an imbalance that is created by jutting things at the back like that. *looks accusingly at Payload*

The club. Yes. The stock photos show a black-red lava club. It is NOT. Apparently the photos were taken of an earlier version of Snag. The beast head's painting is a bit different too. Regardless, the club is wholly orange, which clashes with Snag's colours. Ugly. And there's no place to store it in beast mode, just like on Ratchet and Grimlock. Thus the Animated tradition of freaky weapons continues...

Overall, a mediocre robot mode. Quite nice. And he transforms into a Triceratops. What could be better? Except for Swoop... recommended.

Marks out of ten for the following:

DURABILITY 8/10 The Pudge? Fragile? Impossible. Though there are several stress points
FUN 8/10 Snag Smash!
PRICE 5/10 Let's be honest. Nowadays, toys are bloody expensive.
TRANSFORMATION 5/10 It's not too original, but imaginative and unlike past transformations.
OVERALL 6.5/10 A must have for Dinobot fans like me. Heck, he's an almost excellent figure. While having several flaws, Snarl is a good toy, and is in scale with Classics Grimlock (Animated Voyager sucks. That's why I bought Lugnut) and the upcoming Animated Swoop.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Pictures. 1) Triceratops mode. 2) Robot mode with club 3) Me Grimlock king at last! 4) Me Snarl want to star in Jurassic park, but me Snarl got cut by Steven Spielberg. Why Snarl never go into Movie?
Attachments
Snarl-JP3.jpg
Snarl-Grimlock.jpg
Snarl-robot.jpg
Snarl-alt1.jpg