Is G1 simply the best?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Marisa
Protoform

Post by Marisa »

The G1 Galvatron toy does not really look like G1 cartoon Galvatron.

Have they made a Masterpiece of G1 Galvatron?

I want the electronics. Does Masterpiece gut the electronics?

I know third-party does not do electronics.
Marisa
Protoform

Post by Marisa »

This is a testament to two of the most powerful Transformers of all time:

Galvatron and Omega Supreme, G1 of course.
Marisa
Protoform

Post by Marisa »

Why don't G1 collectors demand more electronics, spring-loaded action features, wind-up gimmicks, etc in their Transformers? All they want is dead display pieces. If that's not a "brick" then I don't know what is.

Think about how you're depriving the children of the fun we had as kids. Think about how we're depriving the next generation of scientist and engineers.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Marisa wrote:I heard the Thundercracker IDW Spotlight is the best of that series, next to the Shockwave IDW Spotlight?

Is it worth purchasing?
The Spotlights occupy an awkward position of being ancillary to the various main miniseries but some of the key moments of the continuity happen in them. Wouldn't really say any are essential, but it depends on how much you like the rest of the IDW stuff. They're in collected volumes like everything else --

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_Transformers:_Spotlight
I know third-party does not do electronics
Some do, mainly larger and MP scale stuff.

It's hard to say G1-ish collectors aren't getting gimmicks, with CW, TR, push-to-launch weapons, voyagers = triple changers, etc. It just tends to be a main gimmick per line and/or size class.

Most of the gimmicks were shit and detracted from the transformations, which is arguably the core feature that inspired kids to take up engineering and design/produce 3P figures now.
Marisa
Protoform

Post by Marisa »

G1 Omega Supreme's electronic action features are what sold kids on the toy, and the character.

G1 collectors are clinging onto analog and mechanical. They are not going digital, electronic, and automated like the rest of the world. They are going to be left behind.

G1 collectors need to bring themselves into the 21st century.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Marisa wrote:G1 Omega Supreme's electronic action features are what sold kids on the toy, and the character.
Since most kids never owned or played with an Omega Supreme, but a lot saw the character in the cartoons or comics, I'd call bullshit.

Or to borrow a framing metaphor from some people I was listening to recently, Transformers is deeply rooted in Cold War era history, right down to the struggle for energy resources. The good guys turn into gas-guzzlers and the bad guys are consumer electronics and military vehicles. Most of those vehicle models are now unrecognisable by kids.

G1 has the twentieth century in its cyber-DNA.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Marisa wrote:
G1 collectors need to bring themselves into the 21st century.
Given many collectors picked up the g1 because of the toys they remembered in their youth I don't think that makes a lot of sense.
Marisa
Protoform

Post by Marisa »

Denyer wrote:Since most kids never owned or played with an Omega Supreme, but a lot saw the character in the cartoons or comics,.....
G1 has the twentieth century in its cyber-DNA.
G1 Omega Supreme had a really aggressive marketing campaign.

Why did most kids never own one?
Marisa
Protoform

Post by Marisa »

Red Dave Prime wrote:Given many collectors picked up the g1 because of the toys they remembered in their youth I don't think that makes a lot of sense.
We traded in our Walkmans and rotary phones for iPods and iPhones.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

It's why my G1 collection is exclusively on iTunes. The rest of you have no excuse.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:It's why my G1 collection is exclusively on iTunes. The rest of you have no excuse.
You're getting ripped off mate. I download my g1 toys from pirate bay using utoyrrent.

As for trading in old for new, iPod for walken is just the delivery method. We now buy our g1 toys online. But the toy, especially as it's a RETRO toy is sometimes better when it brings the sweet smell of nostalga. I wouldn't trade my g1 optimus prime or Soundwave for any of the masterpiece versions despite them being better designed toys.

Viva vinyl!
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Seriously though, it is genuinely hilarious to suggest that collectors need to come into the 21st century. As if we've got a choice of some futuristic option available and we're stubbornly refusing to buy it.
Marisa
Protoform

Post by Marisa »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:Seriously though, it is genuinely hilarious to suggest that collectors need to come into the 21st century. As if we've got a choice of some futuristic option available and we're stubbornly refusing to buy it.
G1 collectors do have the option to demand our G1 toys to be upgraded with electronics and chips to work with an app or multiple apps on our iPhones and iPads.

The only thing stopping this is the fact that they've said they don't want it.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

See, genuinely hilarious.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I'm so 21st century now I only got 3 or 4 into a completely pointless twitter argument with some arse earlier before pulling out on the grounds it was of course a very silly thing to do.

Sad bad old 20th century me would have kept up an online argument for years.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Marisa wrote:Why did most kids never own one?
Because the minibots and cassettes, affordable toys that didn't have "high tech" (for the time) gimmicks and were easily concealed in a pocket, hit a more realistic price point.

If everyone could get a cheap Gigawar Deathwader there'd probably be more interest.

Seem to recall as a kid stopping using electronic features after the first time a set of batteries corroded inside something.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Marisa wrote:G1 collectors do have the option to demand our G1 toys to be upgraded with electronics and chips to work with an app or multiple apps on our iPhones and iPads.

The only thing stopping this is the fact that they've said they don't want it.
Or you want the original item? That's the whole point of being a collector isn't it? I accept toys have improved and moved on but if I'm collecting g1, that's not what I'm after.

It's like all those people buying the retro mini Nintendo consoles. They could get more advanced and modern games for their xbox or PlayStation but they want the original experience.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Omega's construction was possibly quite off-putting to parents, if you were to lose the wrong couple of parts he'd be unusable. Hasbro abandoned Partsformers relatively quickly.
Marisa
Protoform

Post by Marisa »

Why wasn't Galvatron offputting to parents. He was obviously modeled after Hitler. Cyclonus, Scourge, and the Sweeps even did the Hitler salute throughout the show.

Megatron seems to have been modeled after Joe Stalin.

Omega Supreme is cool because if you lose a part you can replace it online. He was probably modeled after the Incredible Hulk.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Ok, I'm out.