The Transformers Partwork Discussion Thread.

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Re: The Transformers Partwork Discussion Thread.

Post by Skyquake87 »

At least its there, and it is more of a curio than anything else, but it wouldn't have killed them to do it full size, would it?
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Crikey the G.I.Joe crossover is hard work. It reads like a golden age comic. Much better is the G2 lead in, although it's riddled with Ninja bollocks as the book made Snake Eyes the focal point for... reasons.

The IDW shared Universe crossover was harmless enough, if utterly inconsequential. I quite liked the artwork, which reminded me of the fella did Halo Jones and Sam Slade, Robot Hunter for 2000AD.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

And Hachette have decided to stop using their Facebook page for the collection when there's still a good 14 issues to go and despite it being one of the main ways people kept in touch with them.

Smart move there.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I suppose as the subscription runs its course, they will start winding down any social media stuff. People can still get in touch via their website for back issues and queries and whatnot. It might seem a bit premature, but I get it. I suspect like everyone else, there's also however CV-19 has affected them to take into consideration as well (reduced staff/ home-working etc).
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Well, we're fully into the mire of the Hasbro Shared Universe. I'm not sure what I've just read about. Something about a big stone tablet that does something something and some G.I.Joe/ Action Force villains who may or may not be the bad guys after all. M.A.S.K. are ... there and the Micronauts are small. Oh, and Hearts Of Steel is definitely part of the IDW timeline now. Because that really needed to be made cannon. Quite liked Action Man, though.

The two Movie adaptions. The Marvel one is still great for having been done from an early script. It's strange though, as it lacks the pace and energy of the film. Possibly because of the insane amount of descriptive boxes all over the thing, like Marvel comics in general had back then. The IDW one has the pace and energy and Don Fig's nice art. As adaptions go, it's incredibly faithful to the point of being redundant. I would have liked to have seen some of the stuff that was storyboarded, but left out of the film. Not just a one page spread of the Scramble City combiners fighting over the Ark with Omega Supreme (begs the question why the Autobots have just abandoned it, even if they do have their shiny new Autobot City).
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

More G.I.Joe stuff... I liked whatever it was I just read in the IDW-verse. First Strike? Seemed to zip along and Scarlett was great and well characterised. Nice art too!

The Devil's Due stuff I've never read before and really enjoyed - it's not a million miles away from both the first Dreamwave mini-series and some of the stuff touched on in the Bay films, but tells it all in much more lively and well realised way then either of those versions. Really good fun, even if some of the designs for the Transformers look a bit ...odd.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Yeah, I think people would do well to pick up as much reprinted Marvel stuff as they can (only fair since it's available and deserves to stay in circulation and benefit whoever's currently got the licence) and then as far as actually reading it goes, get a full set of cover-to-cover scans. And once done read it through it again with commentaries and other people's opinions, such as what Dalek's done with blogs/books. Otherwise you don't get any feel for either Marvel UK Transformers or UK comics at the time it was published. It'd be like watching old Doctor Who with the serial elements and cliffhangers edited out.

It hasn't aged badly on the whole, especially considering the way it ran alongside US content, but in most ways it isn't a modern comic and thank **** for that.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

They'd added an advertising link into their presumably cut'n'pasted post. They're getting sneaky.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Which account was I replying to, initials CB? Was the text copied from another post?

May not be spam in the sense you're thinking of -- malware can sit in browsers, post links using logged in accounts but hide that added content when displaying the page back to the infected user.

If it's the user I'm thinking of I'll probably message them since another post seems original, on-topic, etc.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

The second Devil's Due G.I.Joe vs Cobra mini-series was decent. Don't now what I think about splitting their next crossover being split over 2 volumes just to make up the page count. Understand it, but it whiffs a bit of extending a series just to make up a round number. Stories are great fun, and better than a lot of what we've had in Transformers comics proper at the time. Was wondering if the Universe profiles would show up, but it doesn't look like it, if we're making room for Beast Wars. The Gathering is a decent enough romp, but suffers from having too many characters in it and not making them distinct from each other. Everyone sounds the same, apart from Razorbeast and Magmatron.

Can't remember what else I've read in this, oh yeah - the Lost Light stuff where the Scavengers meet up with Scorponok and everyone winds up on Cyberutopia. I love these issues, with Scorponok's idea to create a race of organic Decepticons. WIth Decepticon badges on their faces. Probably.

I miss James Roberts doing Transformers.