IGN's top 5 Transformer comics

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Tetsuro wrote:And that just burns you up, don't it.
Nope. I just think you're a ****.
I mean really, for a guy who supposedly had me on his ignore list, you sure can't resist complaining about me anyway.
It was pointed out to me that as staff I probably shouldn't have someone on my ignore list, especially someone who has a habit of ambling into topics they don't understand and attempting to derail them with OT attention-seeking nonsense.

"Hay guyz, I'm ignorant about what this topic's about so I'm going to put in a post about something else in the hope that someone will think I'm as cool and funny as I think I am.

Guyz?

Guyz?

GUYZ?"
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Cliffjumper wrote:Nope. I just think you're a ****.
Well it clearly does, then.

Because if that's really your impression then I'm sorry - but you probably should just get over yourself.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Cliffjumper wrote:Nope. I just think you're a ****.

It was pointed out to me that as staff I probably shouldn't have someone on my ignore list, especially someone who has a habit of ambling into topics they don't understand and attempting to derail them with OT attention-seeking nonsense.

"Hay guyz, I'm ignorant about what this topic's about so I'm going to put in a post about something else in the hope that someone will think I'm as cool and funny as I think I am.

Guyz?

Guyz?

GUYZ?"
Quite a lot of agro there. Warranted?
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Red Dave Prime wrote:Quite a lot of agro there. Warranted?
That's what I was wondering. Why did this thread turn into Cliffy vs Tetsuro and why?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

As Tetsuro has had his right of reply, I think it would be better if everyone (mods included) drop this now.
Cliffjumper wrote:Is irrelevance really a problem? Nightbeat is irrelevant in Edge of Extinction.
I'd say the small character vignettes are the entire point of Edge rather than an irrelevance, it's showing how different characters react (and mostly fail to deal with) the devil turning up rather than being about a main plot through-line, a rather neat idea considering it was written on the assumption it would be the last ever piece of Transformers fiction, it's a means of trying to give as many of the characters a last bow as it can possibly manage.

I'd say Nightbeat's cameo in Rage is more problematic on that score, not that the idea of the Transformers having to go all kamikaze to deal with the Swarm is a bad one, it's just Megatron shows up with the cure for what ails him about thirty seconds after the detective's sacrifice.

of course, I get one of the problems with serialised fiction where you're working to a predetermined page count is that you will often have irrelevant moments to make things fit, but for something to count as the best to me it really all has to pull together as close to perfectly as possible.

That's where Legacy has the edge for me, there are plenty of great set pieces but pretty much every moment advances the story in some form, either providing new information, changing character relationships or altering the status quo. It's probably the tightest "Epic" of the entire Marvel run, the closest it comes to irrelevance is the business about Rodimus being pissed with Smokescreen, mainly because it gets no resolution (Wreck Gar turns out to be alive but there's nothing to say Rodimus isn't ****ed with Smokescreen still for the rest of all time), and that's a very minor thread.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

All I wanted to say that one shouldn't place too much faith in something a site like IGN says, but I probably used a pretty terrible example of that.

I mean, in terms of keeping track of pop culture history, I think the video they made about the background of Pacific Rim would probably be a better one. I bet the only reason Mazinger Z was even mentioned in that one was because that's the one Del Toro actually titledropped in his interviews. Neon Genesis Evangelion? Turns out he never even watched that one. Whoops!
Bumblemus Prime

Post by Bumblemus Prime »

Ugh, this list is terrible, saving Wreckers of course.

We had this discussion over at Transfans if anyone wants to chip in: http://transfans.co.uk/community/viewto ... f=5&t=8812

TL; DR? Criteria was that it had to fit in a trade paperback.

Option one was:

5- Shadowplay
4- Unicron Saga
3- Chaos Theory
2- Last Stand of the Wreckers
1- Generation 2

Option two:

5 - How Ratchet Got His Hands Back
4- Target 2006
3- Unicron Saga
2- State Games
1- Chaos Theory