War for Cybertron *Spoilers!*

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
TMM

War for Cybertron *Spoilers!*

Post by TMM »

Well, most of you must have played it by now, and most have probably completed it, so let's discuss!

I have completed the campaign on medium, and started on hard (i always like to play through games twice so i can appreciate the story with no stress and then go through hard for the challenge, although so far, not much of a challenge! :P)

i have also levelled my scout to level 10, scientist to level 10 and am working on the leader, he's about level 8 i think.

SO... i love the story, the opening with megatron really nailed the character, and i love the soundwave boss fight in the autobot campaign, very cool, i think that the sequel will focus on them gathering energon and leaving cybertron (kinda like the opening to season 1) and then possibly ending by landing on earth, or even ending after they awake and get rebuilt into the g1 characters we all know and love!

as far as dlc is concerned i am pretty sure we can guarantee extra characters and maps for multiplayer, but i think there is room for a prequel level to show the war starting and also maybe the odd level here and there in between the story
First we crack the shell... Then we crack the nuts inside!
Catalyst Dragon

Post by Catalyst Dragon »

I completed the two campaigns on Medium. I just started going through again to get the insigna-Icons and Side Missions. So far I've completed the side quests in Dark Energon(kill all but one prisioner) and One shall stand(get smashed by Trypticons hand)

I plan on going through on hard mode after I get all the Icons and side quest complete.

I don't have internet at home atm, so I have to go to a friends house to play online, but so far we've got Scout to lvl 2, Scientist and Soldier to 3, and leader to 4.

For my scout, Named: Bugbot, I always have the scatter blaster and Null Ray.

Scientist-Named and colored after the Triggerbot Dogfight, carries the neutron Rifle and emp shotgun. Too bad theres no flamethrowers...

Leader-currently colored and equipped after Optimus packs an Ion Blaster and Neutron Assault Rifle.

Soldier- Currently useing the Warpath body, packs a assault rifle, and Plasma Cannon. Which none among me or my friends can seem to hit with but we love to try anyways.

I've also noticed that I fall into different tactics depending on my class. For a scout I'm constantly jumping. The scientist I use guerrilla hit and run tactics.
Leader I tend to charge in like a mad man. And Soldier I tend to try long range bombartment, and spend most my time in vehical mode.
All that was needed was a catalyst and the machines of war are set in motion.
TMM

Post by TMM »

I got all the side missions on the first play through but I did kill myself on a few levels so I could keep trying, mainly that ratchet achievement. Still need to get all the symbols though.

I tend to play the same way as you on mp but still haven't started on my soldier!
NightHawk

Post by NightHawk »

I was slightly disappointed in the game, despite in all it's awesomeness. I'll note a few things that I was disappointed in.

Decepticon campaign lacks Autobot bosses: I mean, sure you get to fight Zeta Prime and Omega Surpreme, but that's about it in terms of the known Autobots, while in the Autobot campaign you fight Starscream, Soundwave and his minions, and even Trypticon. C'mon, I wanna fight Ironhide or Optimus when I play as Megatron!

No fight against Megatron/Optimus: Usually you'll find Megatron as an end boss when playing Autobots or against Optimus when playing as a Decepticon...not here, nadda, njet, nein, nothing. Sure, we do get to face a Prime but it is not THE Prime. It's a bit of a shame, but hey we got to beat up Starscream.

The story ends: Obviously it leaves room for a sequel, but I was kind of hoping for that well known "Decepticons, retreat!" line from Megatron.

Create a Character: Repaint a character more like it, while it is nice I still wish to have seen some generic molds and options (Similar to the Create a character in Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires or most known Wrestling games.)

Optimus his weapon: The Ion blaster turned into a sort of machine gun? I was disappointed with that, I was really hoping to see his blaster fire shots akin to those from Megatron's cannon.

Though all in all an awesome game, I certainly enjoyed my time through it and will even more now that I start with the multiplayer option. And really, can anyone else agree with me that it really feels like it is made by fans for the fans? Epic battles, the feeling of war, the voice of Prime being none other then Peter Cullen himself, truth be told. This is the best Transformers game ever since the Armada game on the PS2 (The movie games just...lack something.)
Catalyst Dragon

I was a little saddened by optimus weapon too, It's a good weapon, but I would have liked a hard hitting Rifle.
Catalyst Dragon

One thing that I was annoyed with at first was the Null Ray, A Sniper Rifle...ok.
But i was suspecting some sort of stun gun.

I just completed my third play through both campaigns. I'm using a walkthrough on IGN.com That's been very helpful in finding every last one of the Icons and completing all the side missions.
TMM

Post by TMM »

i was dissappointed by the lack of autobots in the first half of the game... i am pleased that there was no megs vs prime battle though... i think this has helped it avoid falling into the same patterns as all other transformers stuff... megatron being a cowardly but abnoxious leader would always send minions to do his work, so it works quite well... i think the next one will be more focused on prime trying to stop megatron, rather than trying to fix what megatron broke! i'd like to see it ending with the ark leaving cybertron on the second one - and have a battle just before hand and megatron fleeing to the nemesis and prime heading off on the ark!

everything else i found great and i like just being able to repaint the characters, maybe next time they can work in a few parts you can change, or little emblems or something, but it works well i think
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

Didn't get as much doubled exp as I expected through out the weekend. The connection was terrible and being dropped easily. :mad:
Catalyst Dragon

Yeah, I had a problem with connection errors as well, that and I only got maybe 5 hours of total play time throughout the weekend.

I guess I can't complain to much I got scout to 7, scientist to 9, leader to 7 and soldier to 8.
leon47

Post by leon47 »

I havent played alot of multiplayer right now it is fun but Im currently addicted to Escalation because people actually work together in that mode I find it more entertaining than than the multiplayer it offers a challange for me.
Catalyst Dragon

I still haven't tried escalation yet, me and a friend plan on giving it a try soon though. I just have to cart my tv and xbox to his house to use his internet. Figured we'd see if it will let us system-link.
Weirdguy
Protoform

Post by Weirdguy »

The game was good. I was surprised by it as it is a weird mix of old school "toy-like" character models, campy dialog, but at the same time has things like dead bodies everywhere, and even prisoners being executed by Decepticon firing squads.

Two things about it really bothered me, though. There was zero explanation on how the war started. What is Megatron's motive, again? The other was what exactly dark energon does. It's bad, it's evil, it can corrupt things, and also wrecks the environment. I had to figure out on my own that the stuff allows Megatron to control things, since he's taken a shot of dark energon himself.

I did like the new purpose of the matrix of leadership. It is some kind of "reboot disk" for the planetary core computer after it shuts down and fixes itself in millions of years (even if I always hated the idea that "millions of years" was necessary in the first place).

Other things that occurred to me was how to do a G1 game using this game as a base.

The main thing I want to see is "robots in disguise", aka they are all hiding from the humans who could kill them all if they were in the open. Not bad people, mind you, just scared, think all bots are as bad as the Decepticons. They have to stay hidden, even the good guys. This MUST be worked into the plot of a sequel game set on Earth.

The controls are spot on, but on a G1 Earth setting I started to wonder if you could have circle strafing cars and trucks? Then I remember that if a car starts shooting gunfire out of it's headlights, your cover is blown already. So, by that stage it should be OK to have wheels that turn 90 degrees and let you drive sideways when you move the left stick to the side. However, let that also be something that blows your cover if you do it out of combat. Just don't touch the left stick to keep your disguise going.
Weirdguy
Protoform

Post by Weirdguy »

P.S. The details for the DLC (downloadable content) has been leaked for the game on UK X-box live.

Apparently the rumor is 2 new multiplayer maps, 2 new escalation maps, and 5 new player characters, but 3 of those are the pre-order characters.

1. Shockwave, a Decepticon jet/scientist
2. Jazz, an Autobot car/scout
3. Demolishor, a Decepticon tank/soldier.

4. Scattershot, and Autobot tank (you can see his character model in the "extras" menu after beating the Autobot Campaign. Looks like a blue-white hover/half-track tank with a big, square cannon out the front.
5. Onslaught, a Decepticon van. Big burly van with a blower on it's hood. Again, go check the extras for Decepticon foot soldiers to see his concept art after beating the campaign.

Those last two new guys obviously are to fill out the ranks of multiplayer, as Autobot tanks and Decepticon Leaders only have one chassis to chose from.

Shockwave is also a good addition, as that brings up the jets for Decepticons to three chassis, with Seekers, and the chick Slipstream being the other two.
Catalyst Dragon

Weirdguy wrote:Two things about it really bothered me, though. There was zero explanation on how the war started. What is Megatron's motive, again? The other was what exactly dark energon does. It's bad, it's evil, it can corrupt things, and also wrecks the environment. I had to figure out on my own that the stuff allows Megatron to control things, since he's taken a shot of dark energon himself.
Megatrons Motive: Other than Personal power, Megatron started the war because he believes cybertronians have become weak. He starts the war to build his empire and make over Cybertron to his vision of strength and unity... unity through tyranny. Megatron was originally a mining drone, he started gaining power in the gladitorial fights below Kaon. With his fame came followers, i.e., the first Decepticons.

Also the war has already been going for awhile, at the start of the game, Megatron has already killed the other Primes, Zeta was the last one, before the council names Optimus as Prime.

As for the exact nature of Dark Energon... I only know what the game tells us there.

I found this information on the hasbro website in the TF:WFC Character Bios.
NightHawk

Post by NightHawk »

Weirdguy wrote:Two things about it really bothered me, though. There was zero explanation on how the war started. What is Megatron's motive, again? The other was what exactly dark energon does. It's bad, it's evil, it can corrupt things, and also wrecks the environment. I had to figure out on my own that the stuff allows Megatron to control things, since he's taken a shot of dark energon himself.
I will simply assume that they expect you to have read the book that acts as an official prequel to it, which apparently the origins of Dark Energon, the thing between Optimus and Megatron and more history about Starscream.
TMM

Post by TMM »

In all fairness though, g1 the war had already started and we now know more from the game without reading all the back story in the books etc...

I would imagine that the will do some campaign based dlc in the future, I can see them releasing a prequel chapter showing the war beginning, maybe even some story in terms of what optimus mentioned about his past and it being a 'long story' - i would like to see this in future DLC!

the sequel which is inevitable will be set on cybertron still and end with them leaving on the ark, and then the third if it gets made will be g1 style when they crash on earth
Sades

Post by Sades »

I tried reading the book in the bookstore the other day... I felt odd, like I was reading someone's fanfic.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

Something really pissed me last night. I was in the MP power struggle and each team had about 5 to 6 players. Don't know why but other players were always standing far away from the arc of power node and shoot inside and always only me and another guy storming in to try to control the node and got killed in 3 seconds. When both of us finally controlled the node, they didn't come in and then the other team stormed in and killed us in 2 seconds. At the end, even though I got the most kills (and a lot of death, too) but our point was totally being dominated by 67-400. Don't they know you have to get into the node to control it to get the points? More people in the node, more points to accumulate at a time? If I had the microphone, I really wanted to shout at them "go inside, you chickens!!!"
TMM

Post by TMM »

Paul053 wrote:Something really pissed me last night. I was in the MP power struggle and each team had about 5 to 6 players. Don't know why but other players were always standing far away from the arc of power node and shoot inside and always only me and another guy storming in to try to control the node and got killed in 3 seconds. When both of us finally controlled the node, they didn't come in and then the other team stormed in and killed us in 2 seconds. At the end, even though I got the most kills (and a lot of death, too) but our point was totally being dominated by 67-400. Don't they know you have to get into the node to control it to get the points? More people in the node, more points to accumulate at a time? If I had the microphone, I really wanted to shout at them "go inside, you chickens!!!"
i think the issue is, you don't get an extra xp for being in he winning team - you get more xp by sitting back and blowing everyone up - even in an objective based game - in conquest you can capture a point, but if you kill someone whilst capturing, or kill someone who is capturing your point you get more points, so it's always more beneficial to just run about killing stuff
NightHawk

Post by NightHawk »

Sades wrote:I tried reading the book in the bookstore the other day... I felt odd, like I was reading someone's fanfic.
Most likely because of Megatronus Prime, which in all honestly sounds awfully a lot like a name that would be placed in someone's fanfic along with Optitron or similar.