Last Stand of the Wreckers #1-5 / TPB

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

inflatable dalek wrote:Is the trade actually out yet? No sign of it in any of the shops in London I frequented today, including the Forbiden Planet (60 quid for a Sgt. Slaughter toy? What's it made of, his actual flesh?) and self proclaimed biggest bookshop in Europe had it in.
It hit the local shop here, in the states, 2 weeks ago. I've got a copy sitting with the issues.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Thunderwave wrote:It hit the local shop here, in the states, 2 weeks ago. I've got a copy sitting with the issues.
I hate you. :0

Amazon UK just needs to hurry up and get it in stock (or rather avoid the current oddity I'm getting in the listing that says it's eligible for "Amazon Prime" guaranteed next day delivery but won't be dispatched for three to four weeks...)
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

inflatable dalek wrote:Is the trade actually out yet?
Got it from Amazon* earlier in the week. It's a thing of cruel beauty that's likely to leave you even more depressed at the state of other TF comics these days. The text story's a more than fair substitute for the other profiles. Hell, I'd buy trades of All Hail Megatron and the ongoing if they were reprinted with text stories by James Roberts in the back.

It also drills home to me that comics and prose, together, done right, are perfectly complimentary -- the visual medium provides a context for imagination when reading the prose, just as we probably all tend to read Prime in Cullen's voice. Prose packs in more than comics ever can, in terms of fleshing out a universe.

*Maybe they've blown the initial stock sending out pre-orders?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Denyer wrote:just as we probably all tend to read Prime in Cullen's voice
I don't, I hear Gary Chalk.

Nah, only joking. Who's Gary Chalk?
inflatable dalek

I only found out last month he doesn't pronounce his surname in the "white stubby stick you write on a blackboard with" way.
inflatable dalek

One interesting thing that came up in the video interview I forgot to mention is that the increased interest in it caused by this comic means Roberts and some others are looking into ways of celebrating the tenth anniversary of Eugenesis, possibly with a new actual print copy. Which would be nice as the difficulty I have in reading on a computer screen in depth prose is the main reason I've never bothered with the PDF version on this very site.
snavej

Aequitas

Post by snavej »

I'm sure that Aequitas does its best to determine guilt but I think that many crimes would still go unpunished and even undetected. The evidence needed for verdicts could be lost in the chaos of war. Transformers are presumably 'forensically aware' and could destroy evidence. Memories could be distorted or deleted by deliberate tampering, trauma, glitches and brain damage due to injury. Some suspected criminals could receive only light sentences or even be set free.

I'm not sure that Aequitas would determine guilt on its own. With a machine this complex and stakes this high, someone would have to check the results. Since Fortress Maximus had the access codes, he could have done the checking. Alternatively, his lieutenants could have done it. Naturally, this would involve networking since it is usually the quickest, most reliable way to gather evidence from perpetrators, victims, officials and witnesses.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I was a Wreckers virgin until the TPB.
The TPB came on my birthday (September 11) as it happens. I jut finished Reading it today and I'm probably going to read it again tomorrow.

Oh. Em. Gee.
One of the quotes on the back called it Transformers' Watchmen. That's bull. It was nowhere near as up it's own arse as Watchmen; it was one of the best comics I've read in ages; not just TF but in general. In an age where an entire Iron Man issue can consist of Tony Stark sitting in an office discussing renewable energy and Superman can spend six issues going for a long walk it proved that a comic can be clever and have characters whilst still having awesome roboviolence.

I'm in love with Nick Roche.

swoon
I like bears.
snavej

Post by snavej »

I wonder if the Autobots will form another group to replace the Wreckers? Maybe they already have a group that could do the job: perhaps one or two combining teams? Dinobots? One of the giant Autobots? We wait and see.
inflatable dalek

Summerhayes wrote: I'm in love with Nick Roche.
I saw him first.

The book has arrived. Ohhhhhhhhhh.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

snavej wrote:I wonder if the Autobots will form another group to replace the Wreckers? Maybe they already have a group that could do the job: perhaps one or two combining teams? Dinobots? One of the giant Autobots? We wait and see.
I got the impression the Wreckers were used to experiencing that sort of casualty percentage and would just sign up some new membersand jump back in.
inflatable dalek wrote:I saw him first.
No you didn't, you were late!
inflatable dalek wrote: The book has arrived. Ohhhhhhhhhh.
Wow, that was also late
I like bears.
inflatable dalek

I saw him a whole year before you did! Plus I molested him on the way to the bar which almost makes us married.

I'm not a greedy man though,you can have Roberts. I can't say fairer than that.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Hmm, your sloppy seconds hey?
Well, he writes nice prose so he'll make a fine husband/ hostage.
Purely out of curiosity, how long does Stockholm Syndrome take to set in?
I like bears.
inflatable dalek

Summerhayes wrote: Purely out of curiosity, how long does Stockholm Syndrome take to set in?

With Furman it took about half an hour, it mainly involved telling that yes, he is a real comic writer and no, Screech isn't a silly name and yes, if he's a good boy he can have some water.

Or so I'm told.
inflatable dalek

Just read Bullets: Bloody awesome. Funny (loved Pyro's attempt at a "One shall stand..." moment) and tragic in perfectly equal measures. I was chuffed in guessing the twist regarding the character who Ironfist has his last conversation with as well.

Only two flaws: Xaaron didn't feel right. I know it's a new Xaaron rather than the Marvel one but reading him as a rule toting bureaucrat took some getting used to.

And...:
SPOILER! (select to read)
Considering he was completely oblivious to Skyfall's duplicitous nature until he was handed proof it's odd he'd have enough psychological savy to know he'd rather take the poison than be captured.
One thing it does make really obvious is that Ironfist is Simon Furman. Which makes what happens to him (discovering his take on the characters is overturned for one he doesn't like before exiting stage left never to be seen again) open to all sorts of over analysis.

What's the significance of the number 113? It pops up twice so it's got to be an injoke of some sort. I did spot the (very appropriate) reference to the last episode of Blake's 7 and the "From Beyond the Grave!" moment in Doctor Who however.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

inflatable dalek wrote:What's the significance of the number 113?
Part 1 of Wanted: Galvatron - Dead or Alive
inflatable dalek

Halfshell wrote:Part 1 of Wanted: Galvatron - Dead or Alive
Aye, I did check the UK issue 113, but other than it being a very good and important issue in the overall UK storyline I'll be damned if I can find any Wreckers connection. Xaaron isn't even in it.Nor are his two partners in room 113. I suppose double agent 113 might turn out to have a Wanted... connection. Or is it just a totally random shout out to a great story?

EDIT: Ah, Death's Head got a non Marvel copyright infringing mention in the character profiles in the original issues didn't he? I suppose the 113 could be a nod at that, in keeping with Bullets containing all the info that was in the profiles.

Double Edit: Or I'm reading to much into the number popping up twice and it is just a shout out to the start of a classic story no one was supposed to think of in any other way. Take your pick kids.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

inflatable dalek wrote:Double Edit: Or I'm reading to much into the number popping up twice and it is just a shout out to the start of a classic story no one was supposed to think of in any other way. Take your pick kids.
8 times out of 10 it's this.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

SPOILER! (select to read)
To be fair, I didn't think Ironfist was an idiot so much as a dreamer. Once he knew, without doubt, the truth about Skyfall he'd be able to put together the pieces.
I like bears.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Yeah, my copy of LSotW TPB plopped through the letterbox today. I'm so happy, this feels just like when I was a kid getting those 'special' issues of the Marvel G1 comic. And by special I mean when in the previous week's issue you'd get the back page which would tell you what to expect in the next issue...

Basically Issue 86; the big Magnus v. Galvatron fight with the gorgeous Geoff Senior art and the exquisite colouring by whoever... and Ish 116 when they squared off again. Both issues were massive for me (obviously the first one was more massiver), but this TPB feels like that. Proper love in the sense that these blokes making comics know what you, the punter wants to see, and they go full-on to deliver the goods.

And what's extra special about it is that it's a modern book, I'm not getting all gooey over something that's a reprint of brilliance from 20-odd years ago, this is the equal of all of that, and to me, probably better.

And lastly, its ****ing great that I can feel like this at 30-something the way I did at um... 9 or 10 years old. These guys have got the love.

Candi Staton was right.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie