Last Stand of the Wreckers #1-5 / TPB

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I'm hoping Overlord is actually a bit of a bluff - he gets bumped off mid-series in favour of a villain who's more dangerous to the Wreckers than his own men (How many Decepticons did he [IDW] kill in one issue? Three?) - maybe the cliffhanger chap. Either that or his idiocy is a front, but as you say hopefully not for him being another Ultimate Decepticon Deathbringer who just happens to get his clock cleaned by the Wreckers learning the true meaning of Christmas or whatever.

Going back up the thread, I found the Action Master joke to be Brad Mick-level clumsy, but it was only a single line and the rest of the scene was handled pretty well. Got bored of Kup's stupid cigar after a couple of frames, though, he just looks like he's got a section of pipe coming out of his mouth at all times. Liked the colours - it wasn't too "**** YEH WE GOT FOUR MILLION COLOURS!", and lovely art too.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Cliffjumper wrote: Got bored of Kup's stupid cigar after a couple of frames, though, he just looks like he's got a section of pipe coming out of his mouth at all times.
Yeah, it is rather awkward to look at (nothing new to anyone, I know). I would say Roche got painted into a corner on that one - except that he did write that piece in AHM #15 that goes out of the way to explain what the **** that "cygar" thing is, so, sadly, I guess it stays.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Loved the issue. Loved, loved, loved it.

Even enjoyed Verity. Was impartial to her before, but I like her in this.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Cliffjumper wrote:I'm hoping Overlord is actually a bit of a bluff - he gets bumped off mid-series in favour of a villain who's more dangerous to the Wreckers than his own men (How many Decepticons did he [IDW] kill in one issue? Three?) - maybe the cliffhanger chap. Either that or his idiocy is a front, but as you say hopefully not for him being another Ultimate Decepticon Deathbringer who just happens to get his clock cleaned by the Wreckers learning the true meaning of Christmas or whatever.
I like having a villain with straightforward motivations and a very simple plan for once.

After all, it's coming on the heels of AHM, where we were told that Megatron was actually a genius who was five steps ahead of everyone else and orchestrating all sorts of ridiculously complicated plots to secretly control his own men, the Autobots and the humans (even though he still acted suspiciously like his usual "dimwitted strongman who keeps control via a cult of personality" portrayal). And Revelations too, where Nova Prime was trying to do...something that was never really made clear, but was apparently big and epic and horribly complex. And overcomplicated villainy wasn't scarce in the previous IDW stuff either.

Compared to all of that, Overlord's apparent two-step plan (Step 1: Take over a planet; Step 2: torture people for the hell of it) is a nice change of pace. :)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Warcry wrote:I like having a villain with straightforward motivations and a very simple plan for once.
I love that side of it. It's just why can't he have straightforward motivations and a very simple plan and not act like an idiot and/or kill his own troops.

I'm hoping this is the stripped-down ruck that the emo, flip-flopping, dangly-end juggling, unwittingly cliched Maximum Dinobots should have been.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Cliffjumper wrote:I love that side of it. It's just why can't he have straightforward motivations and a very simple plan and not act like an idiot and/or kill his own troops.
I don't think he sees them as his own troops so much as he sees them as another group of victims to terrorize, but I see your point.
Cliffjumper wrote:I'm hoping this is the stripped-down ruck that the emo, flip-flopping, dangly-end juggling, unwittingly cliched Maximum Dinobots should have been.
And here I thought I was the only one who didn't like that series...

Totally agree with you there. Teams like the Wreckers and the Dinobots are the ideal cast for fun-first raucous adventure stories. Angsty drama, not so much.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

The alt modes line I could have lived with if the Decepticon had actually looked as if he were trying to transform. It was made up for by the subsequent insane campness of the "Come to my room later for a special reward" bit though.

As Megatron and AHM have been mentioned... I wonder why Megatron never bothered to send anyone to check why his team that attacked Garrus 9 didn't come back?

I will actually be amazed if the special surprise guest star we're all being so coy about naming makes it through alive to the end of the series. It's a shame a mention of him couldn't have been fitted into Roche's Coda story (either by Springer or by being included in Prowl's list of dodgy Autobots) in order to try and make it a bit less "Hey, remember Soandso we've not mentioned before?" *Five pages later* "Blimey, it's Soandso! What are the odds".

On the plus side, him and Springer having a proper off panel established history (as opposed to knowing each other for less than five days) is a good thing.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

It's ok Warcry , Jackpot accidentally picked up a Retconifier, Time Machine and luckily mad it all better
zigzagger

Transformers: Last Stand of the Wreckers #2

Post by zigzagger »

This is your all purpose Transformers: Last Stand of the Wreckers #2 reaction and discussion thread. Come and join us. It'll be fun.

Due to hit the shelves February 17.

Preview pages @ Comics Continuum.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

Suhweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Roche and James do it again, surpassing the effort of the first issue to recapture the nostalgic magic of the Marvel UK comics of the eighties.

Not only that, but somehow they are able to develop a large cast, add layers upon layers of intrigue and mystery to the already very intriguing plot, and even tie things back to Infiltration and the current ongoing storyline, almost miraculously giving us some semblence of continuity in a single issue that has been lacking for quite some time.

That they're able to add just the right amount of humor to the story without it being over the top only reinforces why Nick is IDW's greatest asset to date.

The only disappointment for me was, again, the monotone coloring. Very difficult at times to discern where one bot ends and the other begins, ala Maximum Dinobots.

But when a story is this mouth-watering good, what's a little artistic kink, after all.

And we get even more references to certain UK Marvel characters that I didn't think would be mentioned.

And a new Decepticon mystery bot, which likely will tie into the Prowl Spotlight in some form or fashion.

Give it a solid "A". Had the art been better, would have been the perfect issue. Nice to know that somebody is paying attention to what the other writers at IDW are doing.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

It is good isnt it? Dont know how well it will tie into the ongoing - seemed odd that its prowl that summons magnus but then heads off with hot-rod.

But thats a different comic. This is the good stuff.

Theres no overly complex. A few little mysteries but its a basic rescue mission goes tits-up. But its done with flair and character. I'd agree that the colours could maybe have been a bit more vibrant but the colour change for the flashbacks works really nicely. The build up of overlord is going great guns - Just a psycho, no grand plan.

If I had to pick flaws... the size of the decepticons seems a bit off. On one page overlord is a massive machine laying waste to ankle high opponents, the next he's face to face with Megatron (along with sixshot and black shadow). Its more a peeve but I kinda wish size was more respected in Transformers.

The other gripe? The 2 squads that get sent down... who did perceptor piss off to be on the very B team? :)

4 energon cubes - so far, so very, very good nick.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

For those who don't know, LSotW #2 and Bumblebee #3 will not be shipped to Northeastern United States until March 1st. See Chris Ryall's Twitter:
comics shops in the northeast, the reason why IDW books aren't in your hands today is a horrific accident involving the truck w/our books

The books were all destroyed, the drivers severely injured. The TPBs will be in stores on 2/24, this week's comics on 3/1...

...this is to clear up the various fallacies I've seen online that we have no books out this week. It's actually a very big week for us.

The damaged comics are regrettable but my thoughts are with the truck drivers. Very grim situation.
---------

Sorry to hear that. I hope the drivers pull through :)

Now, on to issue 2. Just going to make some notes:

Good character moments here. Rotorstorm and Ironfirst are gradually coming into their own. Ironfist’s fanboyisms, while I was initially wary of them, I’m finding to be rather charming and it was good to see Rotorstorm’s profile from the last issue put into effect. I almost dread what will become of them come the end of this mini.

Impactor, while he’s a bit of a plot device, is intriguing. He seems like a worthwhile addition to the cast. His relationship to Springer should be interesting to watch unfold.

Overlord - really, what it comes down to is that this issue is all about everyone’s reaction to him rather than the mission at hand. That’s how it struck me, anyway, be it through Kup, Impactor, Megatron or Snare’s encounters with him. Definitely brings home how dire the situation is, even for a character that is pretty simplistic in his goals. Speaking of Snare, that bit between him and Impactor shows a surprising level of depth, brief as it was, for a character that has otherwise been underused. I liked it.

There’s something about Prowl wanting this Aequitas, whatever that is, that seems sinister. Can’t help but think that after Roche’s piece in AHM #15.

Black Shadow as one of Megatron’s “phase-sixers”? Wouldn’t have pictured it before, but it kinda works.

Quibbles? Well, there is one. Initially I was content with the idea of Verity showing up for the sake of reconciling a few loose ends, and that all she’d be doing was fulfilling some minor supporting role. You know, we’d find out what happened to her, she’d maybe make a couple throwaway comments and that’d be it. That doesn’t seem to be the case now as she’s fallen back to her more…meddlesome habits. Though, I suppose it is in character. But, as much as I liked token squishies like Hunter during the Furman run, I’m not so sure if I’m stoked about this theme being revisited.

Overall – I appreciate the layered story and steady pacing, but, again, it’s more set-up. Still, it’s delivered in the usual Roche/Roberts flair. It’s shaping up into quite the mystery tale and I’m anxious to know what happens next. There’s a lot to like here.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

I was content with the idea of Verity showing up for the sake of reconciling a few loose ends, and that all she’d be doing was fulfilling some minor supporting role. You know, we’d find out what happened to her, she’d maybe make a couple throwaway comments and that’d be it. That doesn’t seem to be the case now as she’s fallen back to her more…meddlesome habits. Though, I suppose it is in character. But, as much as I liked token squishies like Hunter during the Furman run, I’m not so sure if I’m stoked about this theme being revisited.
Yeah, know what you mean. She doesnt harm the story but I'm not really sure the story needed her on top of everything else. Maybe its to set up an overlord attack on earth having meet one of us squishy fleshings. The dynamic duo have got the first two issues right so far so I'm confident they wont make a hash of it though. Roche for head writer please (and yes, its not just cause he's written IDWs best work over the past year, its also cause he's a fellow Irishman)
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Is it bad that I want to use the term "fanwank" in a positive manner?

Yay for the Operation Volcano reference. :)
zigzagger wrote:Overlord - really, what it comes down to is that this issue is all about everyone’s reaction to him rather than the mission at hand.
Given that the Autobot reaction was almost identical to the Decepticons. I liked. Daaaaamn. This is not happening, this is not happening.
Speaking of Snare, that bit between him and Impactor shows a surprising level of depth, brief as it was, for a character that has otherwise been underused. I liked it.
"Why should I trust you? You're a Decepticon named Snare."

LOVE.
Black Shadow as one of Megatron’s “phase-sixers”? Wouldn’t have pictured it before, but it kinda works.
Black Shadow was the Thunderwing analogue, wasn't he? Works entirely.

Shame Verity's staying, but at least it means her cameo was actually plot-relevant rather than being crammed in to tie up loose ends. And it is in-character. I think... I have trouble remembering if she had one.

Nice things:
- Telepathic link between the Jumpstarters
- Ironfist is a narcoleptic
- Perceptor suddenly being a psychopath being picked up and used in a good way
- The possibility that Drift is dead
- Everything else

"The Wreckers, impossible odds, weird brain bullets... it doesn't get much better than this."

[oh, and for those who miss IDW's incompetence, my copy of #1 finally arrived today... 2nd printing. Complete with Impactor on the cover. Yay!]
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Am currently the walking dead, so I'll settle for: this cheered me up lots. And turned up with Phonogram: The Singles Club #7, which did too.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Drift is in ongoing (just as a background character)

I'm imagining the wreckers dropped him once springer realised he too had a sword.

Altough I think that if IDW wanted to make amends for past ****-ups, overlord DESTROYING Drift would be kinda funny.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Red Dave Prime wrote:Drift is in ongoing
I have no idea what you're talking about.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

I dont know either :/
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I just wish I could find the damn comic.....

I even went to an actual comic store, just to be directed to the "newest Transformers issues", which turned out to be AHM #9-#13 :wall:
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

Who gets the profile treatment this time round?