Transformers #1-6 (Ongoing) / Vol. 1 TPB

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
MeGrimlock
Protoform

Post by MeGrimlock »

I wonder if Optimus Prime knows this reasons and tries to keep it hidden with lame lies.
The other Autobots do not seem to be aware of this reason (otherwise, they would not question Optimus about his choice to remain on Earth). Weird thing is that they do not point out that Optimus' excuses are incredibly weak.

Hm. I think I'm turning into a troll.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Well, that was firmly OK. The art mostly works OK, most of the script is OK. Overall it's as OK as it's possible to be without being a daytime soap opera.

There are some worrying bits however. The basic setup is exactly how it was back in Infiltration, we've taken four years to wind up back on square one except it's more stupid. The Autobots aren't just hiding amongst us, they're actually pretending to be our cars? Wtf? Is this a RID comic?

Prowl's moment is insanely out of character with how he was portrayed just a few months ago as well. Remember how back when the AHM debarcle started we were told inter series continuity was entirely down to the editors rather than the writers? Well the letter's page makes a great fuss it takes three people to edit the TF range. Three people to screw up a simple thing like having a character behave consistantly from issue to issue. Why not do this with Mirage in keeping with his prior behaviour? Or Streetwise who's basically a blank slate as far as the IDWverse is concerned? Why bugger about with Prowl but leave Spike such a complete cock?

Plus you've got the problem of the Autobots being on Earth still makes no sense. Fair enough, everyone points this out to Prime. But everyone seems to think the war is over and they should just be kicking about and relaxing. Rather than, say, dealing with the fact the Decepticons have actually won the war in the galaxy killed all the Autobots in space (bar the Throtlebots. And Metroplex. And the Trion crew. And Omega Supreme. And Hot Rod. And Streetwise) and are now plotting to take over creation.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Plus you've got the problem of the Autobots being on Earth still makes no sense. Fair enough, everyone points this out to Prime. But everyone seems to think the war is over and they should just be kicking about and relaxing. Rather than, say, dealing with the fact the Decepticons have actually won the war in the galaxy killed all the Autobots in space (bar the Throtlebots. And Metroplex. And the Trion crew. And Omega Supreme. And Hot Rod. And Streetwise) and are now plotting to take over creation
Very true, but I got the feeling from the coda series that the decepticons are in disaray with no figurehead (at least 3 were brought up in starscreams coda - starscream himself, rampage and soundwave) In the course of 3 years its easy to imagine how the cons have pulled themselves apart to the point were the only threat they pose is to themselves. Worse case scenario (and this is IDW here) is that the decepticons are shown to have made no advancement either way. But maybe IDW will try something new with the scenario. I think its fair to say that most transformer fans are tired of starscream plotting to be leader. Even taking sunbow and marvels works out of the equation IDW have run that story twice (infiltration & AHM) I'd be very impressed if IDWs new decepticons turn out to be lead by Rampage with maybe soundwave as a background defector. With the durability of IDW bots it wouldnt be too out of place to have Soundwave keeping megs in cold storage to one day lead again, even maybe as a puppet leader (ala kup and prowls relationship - well at least in the coda series)

For whats its worth, If they can keep everything coherent from here on out, I can forgive the odd change in character - altough prowls was very poorly done and as stated above could have been achieved with numerous other characters. Another case for me of IDW hitting a good general idea but not taking 10 minutes to think it through.
inflatable dalek

If the Decepticons are supposed to have performed an epic own goal and snatched defeat from total victory because they're been a bit of a leadership spat despite the total lack of opposition the Coda issues should have been better used to convey it. It's something that might happen from after the end of the Starscream story, but even if the Decepticons did break up into smaller in fighting factions that would still leave the Autobots with lots of different enemies to fight instead of just one.

It's not even breaking the "Show, don't tell" rule as we're not being told, we're having to infer.

What odds the volcano the Autobots' secret base is under (woot, that's a difference from Inflitration! They're no longer under a lake) being Mount St. Helen's?

Oh, and considering the recent interview with the editorially incompetent Schmidt ("No really, mixing up the Machination and Skywatch was a cunning deliberate plan rather than me having sawdust for brains") where he went to great pains to say that the people who don't like IDW's current stuff are a very, very small minority and they've got some secret super method of telling there are billions of fans who love the new direction... Why bother giving over part of the letter's page to "No really, we're not ignoring any past continuity on purpose at all, honest. Please still love us", just to try and appease that minority?

Though of course, the Skywatch thing would have to count as "On purpose".

I have to say I'm annoyed I've read the preview for issue 2, as the shitness of the opening page has retroactively killed my slightly building enthusiasm once more.
zigzagger

Transformers #2 (Ongoing)

Post by zigzagger »

This is your all purpose Transformers #2 reaction and discussion thread. Come share with us.

Scheduled for December 9th.

Preview pages @ newsarama.com.

ImageImageImageImageImage
andersonh1
Protoform

Post by andersonh1 »

Nice. A definite improvement on the already good first issue. We’re moving away from the setup/establishment phase and into different stories as various characters choose the direction they want to go. I like where Costa is taking the characters.

With Prime gone, the Autobots have to choose a new leader. In a military unit, I’d have expected the second in command to step up and take the job, but I guess that’s not the way things work in the Autobot military. About half the group want to remain on Earth, while the other half, who follow Hot Rod’s example, want to blow the joint and go anywhere but Earth. Problem is, the only way they can leave is if Omega Supreme takes them, and he won’t go without Prime.

We get to see a few other Decepticons who are still on Earth, with Scrapper and Swindle among them. They attack the Autobots on sight, and the Autobots return fire, but ultimately the battle ends when Hot Rod and Swindle decide that with the war over, there’s no reason to fight. They all just want to leave Earth and go home, or whatever the equivalent is with Cybertron out of the picture. Plot wise, this could be a very interesting direction to go. I’ve often wondered just how certain militant Transformers could possibly adjust to peacetime, and if Costa actually takes some time to explore that type of situation, then I’m all for it. We’ve never really seen the Transformers post-war. There’s a lot of potential here.

Continuity looks good to me, though I’m sure the nitpickers will find plenty of faults somewhere. They always do. Cybertron is still uninhabitable so it’s not an option as a place to settle, Omega Supreme is still on Earth, Scavenger wants revenge on Omega Supreme (presumably after the events of AHM #12), Ultra Magnus still considers himself the enforcer of the Tyrest Accords… though with the war over, should the accords still apply? Prowl gives a bit of a justification for his defense of Breakdown last issue. And so on. A number of little details like that jumped out at me during my initial reading of the issue. I get so tired of reading “AHM isn’t in continuity” complaints, so I hope we don’t go through that all over again with the ongoing. It seems very apparent to me that attempts are being made to very visibly remain true to all that’s come before this story, so I have to applaud Costa for that.

And in the end, who gets voted leader of the group remaining on Earth? In any other continuity, it wouldn’t be believable, but here it’s entirely possible that Bumblebee is known and trusted to the point that he’d win such a contest. Hey, the US elected a senator with a paper thin record and no executive experience to the Presidency last November, so why wouldn't the Autobots elect a spy to be their leader? The Autobots at least know Bumblebee and know what he’s capable of, so he’s not entirely a shot in the dark. That being the case, it’s yet another interesting twist to throw at the reader. It’s not just a cliffhanger, it’s potentially a major bit of development for the character of Bumblebee, and that’s always welcome.

I have to end with Spike, the major who knows there are good and bad Transformers out there but doesn’t care. The guy who expects a counterattack after the capture of Prowl, and yet leaves his troops to deal with it on their own while he’s picking up chicks with his alien car. The guy who looks like he is indeed going to suffer some consequences for his irresponsible actions.

Making the main human character in a Transformers comic the very opposite of likable and heroic is an unusual choice. This is not good old familiar Spike; this is a jerk who I really don’t like. He’s also potentially far more interesting and has plenty of room for growth, if Costa chooses to take the character somewhere.

In the end, this issue leaves me wanting to know what happens next. That’s the type of feeling I’d like to have after just about any issue that I read. I’m calling it a success.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

Having a TF comic that takes longer than a minute to read is certainly a welcome change. That's the first sign that something positive is happening here.

But there are other signs as well. This second issue further sets the stage for things to come, which IMO, look to be entertaining. There's something very "UK Marvel" about all of this, which I think is a good thing.

I think what lends itself to feeling like one of the fun UK Marvel romps of times past are two main elements. Already we are seeing an Bot/Con alliance shaping up. Very Furman UK. And secondly, the dialogue. It certainly has it's lighthearted moments, which I admit, brought a smile to my face. Been a while since that happened.

Loving the focus on character and character interaction here. It's going to be key in making this ongoing worth it to me.

On top of that, of course, is Don's fabulous work. Say what you will about the faces, I'm digging this new style. I think it lends itself to creating an overall more serious tone, a far departure from that old cartoony feel that has been done to death. Trying something new is always a risk, but then, it's the taking of those risks creatively that can lead to better and brighter things.

Some things were annoying, like calling Octane "Tankor" and Bluestreak "Silverstreak" for the sake of the toy. No doubt Hasbro mandate. Minor quibble, so I'll let it slide. And of course, the humans continue to have little appeal. Does Bumblebee as leader make sense? Hmmm. Not sure, but given the departure of so many other more worthy bots, it might not be so far-fetched a selection. No doubt this is what the Bumblebee mini will hit on.

All in all, I'm digging this. Best stuff since Roche's spotlights. Give it a "B+". Looking forward to how the whole Magnus thing plays out.
inflatable dalek

andersonh1 wrote: Continuity looks good to me, though I’m sure the nitpickers will find plenty of faults somewhere.
Have no fear, the first page of the preview is so insanely mind blowingly stupid it'll take a super effort to read anything beyond that.

And most people's complaints about AHM wasn't that it wasn't in continuity, but that it used continuity badly. Which isn't the same thing.

EDIT @ SHockwav: Am I reading that right and they call Bluestreak Sliverstreak? Seriously? Even though he's already appeared under the old name back in Blaster? If so, I'd say randomly renaming a character without a in-fiction explanation counts as more than a minor continuity thing surely? I wonder why the other out-of-copyright-for-toys names are still in use?
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

inflatable dalek wrote:Have no fear, the first page of the preview is so insanely mind blowingly stupid it'll take a super effort to read anything beyond that.
If it's any consolation, that first page is the low point of the issue.

And yes, you read it right. Silverstreak. The only reason I can think of why they might have used it was as a marketing effort for the toy.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

My local comic store told me "next week" for this book. Looks like everyone else got it though.

What a load of crap. They've been telling me "next week" for a month now, too, for Classic GI Joe #6.
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Its still positive. But Some things irk. Bumblebees election doesnt make sense. In the last AHM coda Bumblebee had to be rescued from a bunch of humans - but is now seen as leader material? Cant buy that guys. Prowl following Hot Rod and leaving behind the autobot cause? Definitely cant buy that. Omega Supreme "Hiding" in a canyon in america? er....

BUT!! The overall vibe is good. Really getting to like the art. As I've said before when its a face with a little gimmick like wheeljack or swindle it looks decent. The more mundane faces tend to still blend. The action scene is done well and while hot rod is clearly IDWs wolverine (there is no doubt after this issue) he suits the role (continuity aside)

The dialogue is decent and if you hadnt read previous series and just started with this nothing would jar too much, bar the pace with which prime was removed from the plot. There is a also a decent idea being set-up with the lose of factions of any real meaning. It could lead somewhere new.

Its been a positive 2 issues. If the biggest problem you have is that it doesnt slot exactly into what has come before, you should think about giving it a try (at least read it while in your comic shop :)). Its much more promising and intriguing then AHM and hopefully wont meander into a tangled mess like furmans run.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

I'm not too crazy on their little glowing blue dots for eyes and the fact that all their faces would make for a great line in fantasy cheese-graters (you missed a trick there Guido, what with it being Christmas an' all. I'd have collected the set).

I'm quite enjoying the story. Quite why anyone would want to follow the turd-on-a-stick that is Hot Rod is beyond me. But then, stacks of them followed Grimlock for a while. Still, don't want to applaud somewhat lazy, cliche'd writing.

Could be worse; Megatron throwing Hound at Sentinel Prime in Megatron:Origin for example. Line, distance and angle seem to curry no favour on Cybertron.

I think Patrick Swayze should cameo and lead them through a combination of Dirty Dancing and Roadhouse-style fighting.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Could be worse; Megatron throwing Hound at Sentinel Prime in Megatron:Origin for example. Line, distance and angle seem to curry no favour on Cybertron.
That fight was easily the worst laid out I have seen... ever! Until you typed that I wasnt sure if it was hound that was thrown. And he looks dead! And As you say, the angle is impossible! And how the hell does megatron got outta the way of Sentinal Primes Blast and up to where Hound is, and disable him in the space of a few seconds.

I could wither on but hey...
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Not to mention that Sentinel managed to look different in practically every panel!
Starfield
Protoform

Post by Starfield »

These Autobots must be fans of the Movie franchise. There is no other reason they would elect Bumblebee. Name recognition. They elected the movie star in a popularity contest.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

There was lots of Bumblebee love in the old comics too. The two-part story 'Plight of the Bumblee' proved that Shockwave knew how important the 'Bee was to the Autobots (as well as being as easy win), and sure enough even prominent dogs like Jetfire were happy to get their asses kicked to protect him.

He probably gets the most presents at Christmas too.

And Prime loves him ('Crisis of Command' story), and he inspires good mate-age (Blaster because he missed Scrounge, Wreck-Gar because he's a tinkerer, Prime because um... Outback was on Cybertron etc).

I guess what I mean is, you'd go to war over Bumblebee, but you'd probably have a half-full audience and polite eulogy for Prowl or Sunstreaker.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Auntie Slag wrote: Quite why anyone would want to follow the turd-on-a-stick that is Hot Rod is beyond me.
Probably because he actually makes sense.

I mean, let's face it. If I were an Autobot, I'd want to get the hell of Earth at this point too.

It's Prime that seems to be acting illogical thus far.
inflatable dalek

Commander Shockwav wrote: I mean, let's face it. If I were an Autobot, I'd want to get the hell of Earth at this point too.

Ore 13?
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

inflatable dalek wrote:Ore 13?
Doesn't exist. Just a pink elephant after AHM.
andersonh1
Protoform

Post by andersonh1 »

inflatable dalek wrote:And most people's complaints about AHM wasn't that it wasn't in continuity, but that it used continuity badly. Which isn't the same thing.
That's fair enough. I suppose what I was thinking of when I wrote that were the people who called McCarthy a liar to his face when, just to pick one example, he described the writing process, and talked about how Sunstreaker was the traitor from very early on in that process. Things of that nature. In other words, not valid criticism of the story itself, but the mindless vitriol and attacks on the author that I hope can be avoided on this new series.

I was concerned that Don's new art style might be the target this time around, but the complaints over that seem to be lessening. We'll see how that plays out.