All Hail Megatron #13-16 / Vol. 4 TPB

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
zigzagger

All Hail Megatron #13-16 / Vol. 4 TPB

Post by zigzagger »

...Annnd it continues. Two stories - one about Optimus Prime and Ironhide, the other about the Decepticons probing the mysteries of the Matrix - that will set the stage for things to come. This is your All Hail Megatron #13 reaction and discussion thread.

Share your love and/or hate with us.

Scheduled for July 22nd.

Check out the preview pages @ comicscontinuum.com.

ImageImageImageImageImage
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

I don't think I like Ironhide's face in here.

My money's for Undertow, Boxcar and the other names we've never heard before dying.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

First, the Simon story featuring Ironhide and Prime. Artwork nice, story throw away and generic. Give it a "C".

But the Costa story featuring Starscream? Fantastic! This guy is "The One", I just know it, just from these few pages.

The dialogue was very clever, the best from IDW yet. Starscream's monologue was excellent, as was his interaction with Soundwave. Loved the swipe at the animated movie when Starscream muses "if I throw Megatron out the airlock, something tells me he'd just come back more powerful than ever." Loved that.

And the art on that Starscream story? I'd say it's the best since E.J.'s painted Sideswipe story. If these guys were on the ongoing, I don't think I could be any happier.

If this is what we have in store for us, I'm stoked. Give it an "A+".

Please IDW, let Costa try the ongoing. I'm here at Comicon. Eagerly anticipating the announcement of who will tackle the ongoing.
StarscreamX
Protoform

Post by StarscreamX »

Agreed, the Starscream story was the best part of the issue and not I'm not just saying that because I'm a Con fan.

Starscream himself was written excellently and I liked his little internal monolouge. It's nice to see this Starscream is practical enough to realise that, all by himself, he's not going to get the Decepticons to rally around him because he is, frankly, not the most impressive of figures.

I can't help but wonder: Is it possible that the Matrix Prime was carrying around is a FAKE? And perhaps the REAL Matrix is the mysterious object that Metroplex is guarding?

Think about it. There's no reason the Matrix should work for the Autobots and not the Cons, given that in this universe it's a personal decision, not a fundamental difference. There all, at heart (Spark?) the same species so unless the Matrix is sentient (Which seems unlikely as we've been told we won't be getting the Primus/Unicron mysticism in this universe) why shouldn't the Decepticons be able to make use of it?

So either A: it never had any power at all, as Starscream believes and it was all some massive ruse, some form of propaganda to rally the Autobots around, just as Starscream is now using it to earn the respect of his troops or B: it's not the real Matrix.

And if B is the right answer, my money is on the real one being the mystery cargo that Metroplex is so desperate to protect. After all the Autobots apparently have some freaky religious reverence for it, maybe when the war broke out Prime decided it wasn't safe on Cybertron anymore and, in the event of his death there was too much of a risk of it falling into Decepticon hands?

So he entrusts it to the one guy who can fight any foe, a city sized behemoth whose also apparently very good at hiding himself, until the event that the war ends in Autobot victory.

Also just like to say that I'm glad we're apparently going to be seeing the Predacons show up soon, given Starscream says they'll be meeting up with Razorclaw. And I loved Starscream's "I'm screwed" pose at the end of the story, as he's no doubt wondering what will happen when the Decepticons he's misled find out that the Matrix has no power and he loses their respect and, most likely, their loyalty too.
Decepticons forever!

Across the universe...the dead will rise :devil:

The secrets of the Universe reveal themselves to those who listen

Nobody likes you when you're dead
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

-looks at preview pages- Wait a minute. Isn't Motorhead a Decepticon Micromaster?
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

I had gotten the (possibly mistaken) impression that the Matrix was affecting Starscream, influencing him. I mean, to me it appeared like his view of what the Matrix was and it's worth was gradually shifting over the time he was talking about it, leading up to him attempting to dump the thing out an airlock when Shrapnel interrupted him. And he seemed to snap out of that once Shrapnel found him (of course, it could be that Starscream suddenly realized it could be a rallying point). Similarly, the last few panels looked less like "I'm screwed" and more like it was starting to wear away at him.

Incidently, how would Shrapnel know about the Matrix when he was seemingly created fairly recently?
StarscreamX
Protoform

Post by StarscreamX »

Presumably Shrapnel has been educated on the history of the Autobot/Decepticon war, including the Matrix and it's connection to the Autobots.
Decepticons forever!

Xed51
Protoform

Post by Xed51 »

Commander Shockwav wrote:First, the Simon story featuring Ironhide and Prime. Artwork nice, story throw away and generic. Give it a "C".

But the Costa story featuring Starscream? Fantastic! This guy is "The One", I just know it, just from these few pages.

The dialogue was very clever, the best from IDW yet. Starscream's monologue was excellent, as was his interaction with Soundwave. Loved the swipe at the animated movie when Starscream muses "if I throw Megatron out the airlock, something tells me he'd just come back more powerful than ever." Loved that.

And the art on that Starscream story? I'd say it's the best since E.J.'s painted Sideswipe story. If these guys were on the ongoing, I don't think I could be any happier.

If this is what we have in store for us, I'm stoked. Give it an "A+".

Please IDW, let Costa try the ongoing. I'm here at Comicon. Eagerly anticipating the announcement of who will tackle the ongoing.
Exactly my toughts. After 12 months of McCarthy, Costa's story is like the best thing in the world. I didn't like Furman's story very much. 15 panels for: "Prime I want to quit" "no you don't" "oh ok"
I heard that Figueroa will draw the ongoing tought. I don't know if it's true, but I'd love that.
Unicron wrote:I had gotten the (possibly mistaken) impression that the Matrix was affecting Starscream, influencing him. I mean, to me it appeared like his view of what the Matrix was and it's worth was gradually shifting over the time he was talking about it, leading up to him attempting to dump the thing out an airlock when Shrapnel interrupted him. And he seemed to snap out of that once Shrapnel found him (of course, it could be that Starscream suddenly realized it could be a rallying point). Similarly, the last few panels looked less like "I'm screwed" and more like it was starting to wear away at him.
Yeah I had the same impression. Maybe the Matrix was influencing Starscream like it did in the G2 comics.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Decent. It's probably unreasonable to expect things to gain all that much renewed direction in one issue. Art side of things looks good, references to both the Sonic Canyons and TF:TM without beating anyone over the head with them too much, and both Furman and Costa seem to be trying to get characterisation into the dialogue that isn't just techspec-appropriate soundbytes, gratuitous posing or cliché.

edit: Looking elsewhere, glad to see I'm not the only one snapped out of the fiction slightly by the fact Astrotrain's now apparently got a small mall complex stuck up his arse to unfold when he transforms...
Xed51
Protoform

Post by Xed51 »

About the Matrix, I was wondering, is it possible that the Matrix was passed from Nova Prime to Optimus when he died? Maybe the Darkness was situated in the Matrix, and when he gave it to Galvatron the Matrix was, I don't know, purified? It's the only way I can explain why he has the Matrix in AHM and he doesent in Escalation (where Megatron opens Prime's chest in the same exact point where it should be, and apparently doesen't even search for it.)

It hasn't been created recently anyway, it was mentioned in Spotlight: OP
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

I enjoyed this issue and Mike Costa seemed to have a good handle on Starscream. I wish Chee's art had been in black and white though. Looked really good.

Andy
StarscreamX
Protoform

Post by StarscreamX »

Xed51 wrote:About the Matrix, I was wondering, is it possible that the Matrix was passed from Nova Prime to Optimus when he died? Maybe the Darkness was situated in the Matrix, and when he gave it to Galvatron the Matrix was, I don't know, purified? It's the only way I can explain why he has the Matrix in AHM and he doesent in Escalation (where Megatron opens Prime's chest in the same exact point where it should be, and apparently doesen't even search for it.)

It hasn't been created recently anyway, it was mentioned in Spotlight: OP
Prime did have the Matrix post "The First ARK" incident as it can be seen in his chest in one of the Stormbringer flashbacks. And as for Megatron not taking the Matrix from Prime during Escalation, at the time he was high on Ore 13 which, in addition to making you stronger, seems to make a transformer cockier and more arogant as well. He probably figured as Prime was dead (Or so he thought) he had plenty of time to go back for it once he'd dealt with the living Autobots left behind.
Decepticons forever!

Xed51
Protoform

Post by Xed51 »

StarscreamX wrote:Prime did have the Matrix post "The First ARK" incident as it can be seen in his chest in one of the Stormbringer flashbacks. And as for Megatron not taking the Matrix from Prime during Escalation, at the time he was high on Ore 13 which, in addition to making you stronger, seems to make a transformer cockier and more arogant as well. He probably figured as Prime was dead (Or so he thought) he had plenty of time to go back for it once he'd dealt with the living Autobots left behind.
Eh, I forgot about Stormbringer's flashback. So the Matrix was supposed to be in Prime's chest from the beginning? I tought they just came out with it in AHM to please GEEWUN fans. Your explanation surely makes more sense than mine.
borg72

Post by borg72 »

best issue in frickin' ages. uneasy lies the head has some of the best art and imagery i've sen in a long time, all married with some truly excellent dialogue. megatron on life support surounded by soundwave and 'his children' was a poster-worthy frame in itself, and i love how the matrix seems to have an 'anti-lotr ring' power to it. precious wants to go back to autobots...
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Better than any of the first 12 issues. The first story is slight, you don't believe for a second Ironhide is off and to be honest it feels more like he's trying to avoid blame for Mirage. But it's told well enough and Don's art is fine (and those those moaning of his "new" direction don't forget this is the guy who gave Masterpiece Prime a mouth long before the films). As much as I dislike McCarthy's work I'm not sure diregarding his work on Prime and Ironhide (bestest friends before he became Prime) so soon was a good idea though, especially as minimal rewriting could have kept the stories lined up- Have the opening flashback before Optimus became Prime and use the Spotlight Blurr design.

The Starscream story was a bit of a surprise return to the Brad Mick school of writing, "When in doubt use great big chunks of the 86 film". It was enjoyable enough but that needs to be very much a one off rather than the ongoing just gving dried up rehashes. And as above, would it really have been so hard to write Starscream in keeping with AHM? It was stupid but the "Starscream's own agenda" stuff is even more old and tired.
StarscreamX
Protoform

Post by StarscreamX »

inflatable dalek wrote:Better than any of the first 12 issues. The first story is slight, you don't believe for a second Ironhide is off and to be honest it feels more like he's trying to avoid blame for Mirage. But it's told well enough and Don's art is fine (and those those moaning of his "new" direction don't forget this is the guy who gave Masterpiece Prime a mouth long before the films). As much as I dislike McCarthy's work I'm not sure diregarding his work on Prime and Ironhide (bestest friends before he became Prime) so soon was a good idea though, especially as minimal rewriting could have kept the stories lined up- Have the opening flashback before Optimus became Prime and use the Spotlight Blurr design.

The Starscream story was a bit of a surprise return to the Brad Mick school of writing, "When in doubt use great big chunks of the 86 film". It was enjoyable enough but that needs to be very much a one off rather than the ongoing just gving dried up rehashes. And as above, would it really have been so hard to write Starscream in keeping with AHM? It was stupid but the "Starscream's own agenda" stuff is even more old and tired.
I'm sorry but beyond superficial simmilarities how was this a "Re-hash" of the 86 film? The only nod to it was Starscream's off-handed comment about tossing Megatron out the airlock, which barely counts as a fandom nod let alone a "Re-hash". And how was Starscream any different than how he was in AHM? He's still a power hungry schemer who wants to lead the Decepticons, just as he was throughout AHM, the "Ation" minis and in fact pretty much every comics series since the tail end of G1. Yes it may be stereotypical but the blame for that characterisation can't be laid at the writer of this particular stories door. At least he wrote Screamer as being a bit smarter about his plans than the "Soon I will lead the Decepticons" cartoon character.
Decepticons forever!

inflatable dalek

StarscreamX wrote:I'm sorry but beyond superficial simmilarities how was this a "Re-hash" of the 86 film? The only nod to it was Starscream's off-handed comment about tossing Megatron out the airlock, which barely counts as a fandom nod let alone a "Re-hash".

Well, lets see... The Decepticons fleeing a city in ruins on Earth having bizarely run away from a situation they were winning, with Starscream in charge and Megatron barely alive. Some "hilarious" references to lines from the film (there's also the one about Megatron ceasing to function. Just a month after a similar gag in Spotlgiht: Metroplex so I guess the editor isn't reading the comics). Followed by various political machinations with Starscream ultimately taking leadership. Involving just about exactly the same cast (Refelctor is I think the only addtion) on-board an Astrotrain who's bigger on the inside.At best you could call it an extended homage to the Astrotrain scenes in the film. Hopefully that will turn out to be the case rather than the Brad Mick option of creative bankruptcy.
And how was Starscream any different than how he was in AHM? He's still a power hungry schemer who wants to lead the Decepticons, just as he was throughout AHM, the "Ation" minis and in fact pretty much every comics series since the tail end of G1. Yes it may be stereotypical but the blame for that characterisation can't be laid at the writer of this particular stories door. At least he wrote Screamer as being a bit smarter about his plans than the "Soon I will lead the Decepticons" cartoon character.
Starscream at the end of All Hail Megatron had renounced his old ways and thrown himself fully behind Megatron. Seeminlgy genuinely as well as he could have easily just left declared Megatron dead and run off with everyone else at a point where no one was going to disagree with him because the Chuck Jones designed bomb was falling towards them. Here that entire epiphany seems to have been completely forgotten about. Yes it was badly written but it gave the chance to leave the more tired stuff behind. Plus following Devastation it's no less than the second U-turn Starscream has had after declaring himself fully loyal. Boys got a yo-yo problem.

EDIT: And all that's without mentioning the more general film reference of having a character with the Matrix on a chain on his neck.

And we can blame the writers for his poor and inconsistant characterisation, and the use of the clichés. Pre-Underbase in the Marvel run there's barely any more than sarky talk from him (counting the UK stuff there's Enemy Within and Time Wars for both of which he gets so badly punished/betrayed in turn he keeps his place pretty well for a long time afterwards. For the US there's really no outright treason before that). For all its other flaws, when you're reading in sequence Starscream making his big big move feels like a special event, a pot that's been boiling for a long time. Helped by the fact he very nearly gets away with it. Of course, they went to the well to many times after that with his every return, but holding off on it worked in that instance.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

Guess you missed the point of Starscream's sarcastic statement about Megatron just returning if he tossed him out the airlock. That wasn't a rehash. That was poking fun at the '86 film.

And AHM didn't exist. Neither did M:O.

So why bother comparing this Starscream to one that never happened.
inflatable dalek

Commander Shockwav wrote:Guess you missed the point of Starscream's sarcastic statement about Megatron just returning if he tossed him out the airlock. That wasn't a rehash. That was poking fun at the '86 film.
I did notice it because it was such a dreadful, forced line. It just screamed author voice rather than something Starscream might actually say. All for the sake of a crappy self referential joke.

Thing is, that Starscrewm did happen. It happened only last month in the previous issue of the same title. At least they just gradually let M:O slip off the radar, completely changing his character in consequtive issues just damages him. And is that going to be IDW's solution to every problem? "That isn't working, time for another soft reboot that sort of half arsedly ignores some but not all of what we've done up till now".

Looking at it, you know what would have made the story work more, even with the same characterisation and plot? Doing it from Soundwave's POV. If we're going to have him as the loyal stooge then getting inside his head as that loyalty is tested is more interesting than the same old Starscream stuff. What does he think of seeing his leader/idol struck low? How tempted was he by Starscreams offer? Does he suspect at the end he's bluffing?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I tried reading this. I got about four pages into Optimus and Ironhide's Zombie-faced Flashback of Doom before I got bored and went back to watching The Wire.

Anybody want to give me a compelling reason why I should give the issue a second chance? Does anything actually happen in it, for a start? Is there anything more the the first story than "well I used to hate you, but it's all over now"? Is there anything to the second story beyond Decepticons sitting down and rehashing a bit of TF:TM in the way that the ____ Movie franchise thinks passes for satire?

[edit]

Er, because this is the AHM Starscream? Because this is #13 of AHM? That's some pretty ****ing effective revisionist continuity you've got going on if you can actually discard an entire sub-series as non-canonical in relation to the events of the same damn series.