All Hail Megatron #13-16 / Vol. 4 TPB

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Drivaaar
Protoform

Post by Drivaaar »

Best issue of AHM. Simple as that.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Believe that's what's known as "damning with faint praise"...

Am looking forward to this issue muchly, though.
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

Definitely looks good and James Roberts apparently provided a writing assist.

Andy
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

A great example of why a Transformers comic could be great and why IDW generally have no writing skill.

The Kup story is excellent. It has good flow, it makes sense (there are one or two bits that wobble but few comics stand up to intense scrutiny) the art is both well drawn and dynamic and it fires the old interest. Fair play to Roche and it bodes extremely well for the wreckers mini. Particular liked his take on the a-morality of the autobots and the glorification of heroes.

Turning to the PErceptor story and oh jesus, what a regression. The best I can say about it is that the art is well drawn. Its not interesting and much of the panels are flat and dull but its well drawn. The plot is poor kids tv show shite. The "bad guys" skipping away is pure farcical. But worse is the evolution of perceptor. Granted many of us have complained that he could turned into yet another IDW bad-ass but judging on this, he always was.. he just didnt have the tech. Theres no depth to his character (other then he always keeps thanking drift)so the change in his attitude is non-exsistent.
So what was the point?

I also could rant for a few paragraphs on bludgeon and monstroctor but why bother? If you've read it I'm guessing you groaned at the stupidity of it all. Furmans Dark Universe may not have been great but it set up characters in an interesting fashion. Bludgeon seems so... wasted here. Maybe he's here for a bit of FORESHADOWING (tm idw)

So really an issue of 2 glaring halves. I would hope IDW will evolve in the still of Roche but something tells me it will be more the perceptor style. Honestly, money aside, that wont justify investing my interest in an ongoing.

To finish on a plus point though, for the first time I thought that all 3 covers were very good and I very nearly bought 2 issues. I went for the roche one but the other 2 both looked great.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

Beautiful first story. A perfect example of how strong writing can make any idea or story worth telling. Had previous writers (who shall remain nameless) attempted the whole cy-gar thing, I don't think they could have pulled it off.

Nick not only has a very strong command of the English language, but I really like his ideas. They are mature and always unique. With this story, he has shown that he can fashion a very enjoyable tale from the work of others.

In other words, Nick has been the best writer under the IDW banner to tackle the Transformers. Who would have thought? The guy was brought on for his art, and it's his storytelling that attracts me most. Give it an "A".

The second story by Denton was okay, but suffered from the lack of page space. It started off well, but seemed rushed towards the end. It was too big, deserved to be allotted more page space than what it was given.

My problem is that I couldn't remember what last happened to Bludgeon. How did he get together with the Monsterbots? Not that it needed to be shown, necessarily, but everything's a blur now to me. Also, we now know what the gestalts weakness is. A sniper shot to the midsection. Didn't really do it for me, as I felt it really detracted from the threat a gestalt should pose. Art was great. Give it a "B".
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Single best issue we've had so far. Densely-written, intelligent, continuity rich, vicious, pragmatic, and just plain fun. I was thinking "mmm, TMUK-ery" way before someone pointed out the inside front cover. Furman cemented his contribution to Transformers by writing into gaps in the US title, and in a very "students become the masters" way that's what we get here, taking things past solid formula and into characters with histories and group dynamics that aren't generic or echoes of profiles.

The Perceptor story also works, IMO. Not only does it sync up with the first story and give us an explanation without involving some kind of macho lobotomy, the team rosters do work -- Bludgeon's a natural fit for a possible pretender-ised gestalt team. It also makes sense that the first gestalt has combination teething troubles (although we'd expect some of the flaws to be engineered out in due course, including upgrades to existing teams.) It also makes sense that a lab-rat wouldn't have bothered with military upgrades until something significant enough happened to cause a change of mind, so the quick turnaround doesn't have to be a plot hole. More space to breathe would just've meant more fight scene.

Wreckers is an obvious cert. I'm almost stoked enough to pre-order the ongoing... but characters being back on Earth, with facial redesigns apparently thrown in for the sake of it... eh. Have seen good things from Costa on Joes (waiting for the trade, sorry to say -- general policy of seeing what consistency is like on titles before investing in series these days) but "They really don't know how to handle it and morale is at an all-time low, which leads to some serious conflicts, really bad decisions, and one of them doing something that nobody, fellow Autobots and readers included, is going to believe." could have come straight from Shane McCarthy a year or so ago.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Re:Bludgeon - how exactly did he get his brain back? And wouldnt Banzai-tron made the more logical (plot-wise) choice to lead the gestalts?

The encounter seemed like an episode of thundercats - Monstroctur unites (mumm-ra appears and hulks up), Quick snipe shot appears and takes out the gestalt (mumm-ra sees reflection in sword of omens) Everybody stands around happy while bad guys run away (er.. ditto)

Problem I had with the Snipe shot was in Spotlight:Prime we see that Monstroctor has a shield that prevents him being shot at. How does Perceptor get around that?

I'm puzzled why I'm the only one so far who thought the second story was tosh.
MissingSea
Protoform

Post by MissingSea »

I loved the first story, though I'm still left wondering where Kup's original body is stored. If it's at the research station, then how is he controlling his body from all that distance away, and why wasn't it destroyed during the 'purge' pre AHM.

The Perceptor story has echoes of Spotlight Shockwave, with Perceptor 'evolving' from his scientific self to the crackshot sniper. Much like Shockwave the cool logical scientist 'evolved' in Spotlight Shockwave. However, unlike the Shockers story, this wasn't all that well executed.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

First the good….

“Everything in its Right Place”

Ooooh okay, I’ll jump on the bandwagon too – Roche’s story was wonderful, something I never imagined myself saying about a book with “All Hail Megatron” in the title. It’s an odd feeling.

…And it only took 15 issues to provoke this sort of response from me too. Err, umm...yay for me?

Dialogue heavy, dense and continuity rich to be sure, but all 11 pages were a joy to read. Aside from serving as a good epilogue of sorts to Spotlight: Kup, it works even better as a spotlight for Prowl. Wonderful insight of the character while presenting something I found quite refreshing. While Roche plays off the usual Prowl-styled prickery – which I’ll come out and say I’ve always liked - there is also something I found deliciously diabolical about him here, particularly the way he uses Springer’s attachment to Kup to his advantage. Springer is good value too. His respect for Kup is so touching that I almost feel sorry for the poor sucker knowing that this all part of Prowl’s plan.

While I’m still not quite amped for the ongoing, the Wreckers mini can’t come soon enough.

…And the rest

“Lost & Found”

……

Goddamnit.

As for “Lost & Found”…there wasn’t really much meat to it, was there? I don’t know if it’s because I enjoyed the preceding story, but I just didn’t like it. I wasn’t entirely convinced by Perceptor’s transition from genius to sniper either. Mind, from what we have seen, yes, Perceptor hasn’t been depicted as a hugely complex character, but I guess I was expecting a bit more insight. While I can understand the necessity for Perceptor to take up arms, there’s was, I thought, a potential element of tragedy in that concept that was kind of squandered. Well, at least Perceptor displayed some semblance of a personality here versus the earlier issues of AHM.

But as Denyer said, Tipton’s story does sync up nicely with Roche’s, making this the most cohesive of the “Codas”. Though, honestly, I would have been perfectly content with Roche’s story being allotted the full 22 pages rather than the 11 it received. That’s just me, though.

A 4.5 out of 5 for the first, a 2.5 for the second.

EDIT

So, I take it Bludgeon’s past indiscretions were all forgiven then? Or were none of the ‘Cons aware that he attempted to commit genocide? While it might be explained in the Wreckers mini how Bludgeon got his mitts on the Monstructor six and what happened to him following Revelation (and I’m assuming how the ‘Cons got Sixshot back), at the moment, it’s a bit daft that the ‘Cons would give him a command position as well as being left in charge of the same technology Optimus was all fussed over. I had a couple of theories why that might be, though: One being that the ‘Cons let all that Thunderwing business slide due to his expertise with the Pretender process, somehow implementing it to the Gestalts. Another, as already speculated, is that Banzaitron is somehow behind all of this. It would certainly fit with Bludgeon chasing Hot Rod down – unless it’s just a coincidence.

And yes, I also agree that, while it’s lovely to see that Bludgeon has regained his senses – such as they were - Banzaitron seemed like the better candidate for this story. It would have been a good opportunity to fill in all those inconsistencies that Coda was said to fill in, at any rate.
Grufflock

Post by Grufflock »

First Story: Allowed to breath, full of character, full of adding to the existing tale without feeling forced or rushed. Loved the faces and little nuances (case in point: first page, the small caption lets you know who's really in charge of this scene. And it's not Springer)

Second Story: Not bad,but like a lot of AHM (after the extension) theres stuff happening....and I find I just don't feel it. The characters do feel like they are there to move the story on, not that this is a story about these characters.

Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy.

But I'm thinking Roche IS going to have to become to go-to man for IDW'S TF stuff, with one spotlight, and just 11 pages, He's surpassed all but a select few writers (within and beyond TF) But thats without seeing what Costa does, and hopefully it'll be all good.
zigzagger wrote: […And it only took 15 issues to provoke this sort of response from me too. Err, umm...yay for me?
I agree wholeheartedly. Apart from a very small amount of moments, AHM just created apathy. So much so I could not be bothered to cancel my order and kept forgetting it was waiting for me at the local shop. THIS is what I want from any comic on the shelves.
WWW.OLDOILHOUSE.CO.UK
Bringing Robots Into Disgrace Since 1984
Grufflock

Post by Grufflock »

I'm trying to not let a large scream of frustration be my only thoughts on the continuing downward spiral that is AHM.
Commander Shockwav wrote:Never heard of it. Neither have you. Now let us never speak of this conversation again.
Please? Pretty Please? I would like this to be the case.
WWW.OLDOILHOUSE.CO.UK
Bringing Robots Into Disgrace Since 1984
zigzagger

Transformers: All Hail Megatron #16

Post by zigzagger »

Finally, for real this time, AHM comes to its conclusion, bringing us two more tales. The first is about Spike Witwicky and some cosplay nurses, and the second is about Bumblebee dealing with the aftermath of issue #12.

This is your all purpose Transformers: All Hail Megatron #16 reaction and discussion thread. Come share your love and/or hate with us.

Scheduled for October 14th.

Preview pages @ comicscontinuum.com.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

--------

Would this be for the 3rd or 4th volume of the TPB? I know Amazon was calling this the 4th, while the last set of Spotlights would be AHM Vol. 3. Not sure if this has held true.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

I want my $3.99 back.

Seriously, the content of this issue is something you might expect from one of those freebies you pick up on the counter at your local comic store. Y'know, the ones that give you a hint as to what's coming, but don't reveal anything.

The first story was hardly a story at all. Not sure how I would classify it. Except as freebie material.

The second story, I was pleased with the art by Chee. I like the style. Reminds me of Man of Iron from Marvel. The story? Again, how does this add anything, anything at all, to who Bumblebee is, to his place in this war? Was it supposed to be surprising that he helped those humans? The dialogue was unnecessarily wordy and felt a bit tacky.

Hard pressed to find something nice to say about this.

Give is a "D". Worst issue from IDW in a while.
andersonh1
Protoform

Post by andersonh1 »

All Hail Megatron #16. I skimmed through it pretty quickly at the end of my lunch hour, so I may have some other thoughts or corrections after I'm able to sit down and read it thoroughly.

Like the other coda issues, there are two stories. The first concerns Spike, who is laid-up in the hospital, in traction, after a fight with Ravage. This particular story is pure setup, with a group coming in who want Spike to head field operations for Skywatch. There are flashbacks to his encounter with Ravage, who he apparently finishes off. I get the feeling that Skywatch is being set up to resemble NEST from ROTF, a group that searches the world for hidden Transformers and views them as a threat to be eliminated. Having missed most of AHM up to issue #14, I wasn't aware that Spike was in the military until I read the preview for this issue. That's what I get for coming in at the end of the story.

The Bumblebee story is the better of the two. BB is alone, damaged, and being hunted by the military. Or rather, the military are hunting for any Transformers in order to finish them off, and BB is in the area they're searching. The story works well, given that Bumblebee has always been one of the smaller, weaker Transformers, and so he's convincing as a potential victim of the soldiers. He radios for help with no success, and ultimately intervenes in a dangerous situation when it becomes apparent that some people are trapped in a building that's collapsing. He tries to hold it up while they escape. The military take advantage of the situation to try and kill him, either unaware or not caring that he's trying to save lives. Ultimately Optimus Prime and several other Autobots intervene, rescue and repair Bumblebee.

The story has a couple of nice touches. The two soldiers discussing the difference between the two sides by what type of vehicle disguise they adopt is a good illustration that not all humans see the Transformers as a single homogenous threat. Ratchet has a fun exchange with Bumblebee to the effect of "Prime knew we'd find you because you couldn't stay hidden. Sooner or later, you'd try to save someone."

I like it. The Spike story, as I said, is setup for future plotlines (I assume) and doesn't cover a lot of ground other than adding a bit to Spike's character and giving him a job for the ongoing series. The Bumblebee story offers a bit more, and says some good things about BB's character.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Commander Shockwav wrote:Worst issue from IDW in a while.
Massive accomplishment.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Theres not much to love here...

Guidos not exactly a gem when it comes to drawing humans so an issue which is pretty much all fleshings was never going to look pretty. But the story is so slight as to be ridiculous. I really wonder how they want people to percieve spike. He doesnt come across as endearing at all, seems more then a bit stupid (taking on rumble with a pistol, getting his squad killed by ratbat, going in to a building alone to take on a decepticon when he has a squad all tooled up with him...) Its disheartening to read he'll be a main character in the ongoin for (wait for it) a year!.

More worrying is that this is a Costas story. His starscream story wasnt bad at all for a multi-page mosiac story but this doesnt have me looking forward to the ongoing.

And hey, how is Spike not decapitated when Ravage crashes into him? ah well..

Onto the Bumblebee story. Its better but nothing special. Quite liking chees style and the cliched story is done well enough I suppose. I'm a bit confused as to why Bumblebee is buried beneath rubble to begin with but I suppose its fallout from the end battle in issue 12 (when the autobots jumped out of omega... did bumblebee just nosedive into the ground?)

Going by the gushing letter page and the comments from costa I dont really think the ongoing is going to be any great shakes. IDW seem to be quite happy to keep things simple and straightforward. Shades of grey that funnilly enough made Kups story such a colourful and enjoyable piece dont seem on the agenda.
MissingSea
Protoform

Post by MissingSea »

The whole issue was a huge disappointment after AHM15. It was dare I say it worse than the whole of the previous AHM issues. Continuity errors (though I suppose we should be getting used to them), artistic license on bot and vehicle modes is going a bit far now.

Also what was that bollocks about Sky Watch... oh it'll be better with an American in charge.... erm wasn't it already an American operation? or did I miss something somewhere?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Commander Shockwav wrote:I want my $3.99 back.

Seriously, the content of this issue is something you might expect from one of those freebies you pick up on the counter at your local comic store. Y'know, the ones that give you a hint as to what's coming, but don't reveal anything.

The first story was hardly a story at all. Not sure how I would classify it. Except as freebie material.
Yeah, it reminds of Infiltration #0, without being a dollar to justify the amount of content.

I do like the art in the second story -- unfortunately it mainly serves as a reminder of what's going to be in the ongoing and another mark against picking that up.
andersonh1
Protoform

Post by andersonh1 »

AHM #14 - Just a note, but I've missed just about everything from Escalation #6 onwards and have just started picking up the comics again, so I'm coming in late. Anyway, onwards and upwards...

Story 1 is about Sunstreaker, and his experiences during the Furman-written run of comics. I'm assuming a lot of what happened to him took place during "Devastation", which I missed entirely. I remember that he was captured at the start of Escalation and was apparently going to be turned into a Headmaster. The title of the story is "Replay" so I assume we're watching Sunstreaker relive his most recent memories, from winning a battle before being transferred to Earth, to being disassembled by the group who were developing the Headmasters, to what is either a memory or a fantasy about being restored and made whole. The last two pages show him lying in a pile of scrap at the bottom of a chasm beneath a broken bridge.

Here's where coming in late to a story does me no favors, since I don't really know what happened. I assume he died fighting, or else is in very bad shape and is expiring as we watch, and this story is the equivalent of his life flashing before his eyes. Either way, it's a grim storyline for a character I'd rather have seen more of. I get the feeling we won't be seeing Sunstreaker again any time soon.

On the other hand, it is a nicely encapsulated history of the character in IDW's continuity, and I appreciate that. Since his fate was apparently sealed, I do wonder why this story was written... possibly he survived, hence the very faint eye glow in the last few panels? Maybe we haven't seen the last of him after all.

Story 2 is about Galvatron, and shows him recruiting Cyclonus and Scourge, and creating the sweeps as his own private army. I guess these three characters are bound to be associated with each other from now on, ever since the 86 animated movie. At least Galvatron and Megatron are two different characters in this continuity, and that's a good thing.

Not as good as issue 15, but interesting all the same.
andersonh1
Protoform

Post by andersonh1 »

All Hail Megatron #15. I started reading TF comics again in anticipation of the ongoing, which I plan to pick up. Jumping in at the end of AHM isn't the best idea, but it isn't hard to find out what led up to the current stories, and I was reading when the Kup spotlight came out, so I understand his malady.

Anyway, on to the issue itself.

I like it. I liked it quite a bit actually. Because not only does it follow up nicely on Kup's story, but it makes great use of Prowl. Prowl of course has a preference for logic over emotion, and thus his assessment of the flaws in the Autobot army seems like a conclusion he might well come to, right or wrong. The fact that he takes the action he does, to manipulate Kup and use his status as a hero in order to push Prowl's own point of view, is highly unethical. And yet it seems believable that Prowl might abandon his ethics and resort to something like this rather than let the war be lost, which would be a far worse outcome.

While I don't agree with what Prowl has done, I find the whole string of reasoning and actions that he takes to be plausibly within the bounds of the character as established. And more to the point, I find them interesting. Interesting for what they say about Prowl, and interesting for the consequences that might come into play down the line.

Finished the issue, and the second story about Perceptor. It's certainly a change to have him upgrading himself and deciding that he's got to be more of a fighter and less of a scientist. This is the first Transformer comic I've picked up in more than a year, and I'm sure had I read all the issues up to this point that I'd have a bit more background on his decision, but there's enough explanation in this issue to allow me to follow Perceptor's reasoning.

I enjoyed both stories quite a bit. There's some really good character work in this issue.