All Hail Megatron #13-16 / Vol. 4 TPB

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Halfshell wrote: Anybody want to give me a compelling reason why I should give the issue a second chance? Does anything actually happen in it, for a start? Is there anything more the the first story than "well I used to hate you, but it's all over now"? Is there anything to the second story beyond Decepticons sitting down and rehashing a bit of TF:TM in the way that the ____ Movie franchise thinks passes for satire?
In short: No.

What's especially annoying is that of all the various lose ends needing tying up (Ore 13, the next President as a facsimile, Skywatch, what the EvilU did next, Soundwave's lobotomy ect) they start the extension (and actually, plus points for dropping the Coda nonsense and just going with AHM 13 though) whith two bits of business that could have been dealt with in a page a piece of the ongoing. Or not at all in Ironhide's case, his little arc was effectively ended when Mirage jumped in to save his life in a clichéd way from the Swarm, hence him not doing anything for the last few issues.

Er, because this is the AHM Starscream? Because this is #13 of AHM? That's some pretty ****ing effective revisionist continuity you've got going on if you can actually discard an entire sub-series as non-canonical in relation to the events of the same damn series.
The fact "AHM Didn't happen" comes from the guy who liked it probably says more about its qualities than anything else could.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

Halfshell wrote:That's some pretty ****ing effective revisionist continuity you've got going on if you can actually discard an entire sub-series as non-canonical in relation to the events of the same damn series.
I do what I must.

AHM doesn't exist. Neither do you.
The fact "AHM Didn't happen" comes from the guy who liked it probably says more about its qualities than anything else could.
Liked it? Here is my review on Transfans of what would have been called AHM had it existed:

Would you believe it's been twenty-five years since the first Transformers figure hit toy shelves across the U.S.? Three comic book publishers have held the license since that time, and we currently find the property in the hands of thriving comic book publisher IDW.

IDW's most recent stab at everyone's favorite bots, a 12-issue story written by Shane McCarthy entitled All Hail Megatron, has come to it's conclusion. All Hail Megatron aimed to please both the fan who had been on board from the beginning and the new fan unfamiliar with the storyline IDW had thus far crafted under the helm of Transformers comic legend Simon Furman. Understandably, there was some hesitance on the part of many of the hardcore TF comic fans upon hearing about a change of writer. They were comfortable with what Furman had been producing up to this point. After all, Furman has played an integral part in shaping the Transformers world since the 80's. Why shake things up now?

Shane McCarthy was an unfamiliar name to me, despite his prior experience as a comic book writer, tackling such properties as Batman for D.C in the past. I had some mixed feelings when I heard that someone who had never written a Transformers comic was writing IDW's most ambitious Transformers project to date. It was the same feeling I had when the news was announced that IDW had landed the Transformers property. I remember asking "IDW? Who the heck is IDW?"

However, after three years of carrying the Transformers mantle, IDW has shown it could deliver the goods. So I asked myself, why not their new choice in writer McCarthy? Despite some concern, I was excited by the prospect that some new blood was being mixed into the pool of writers, that we were potentially breaking the Simon Furman mold that, while good in it's own way, was growing stale by some fan's estimation, and purportedly, by sales as well. McCarthy intended to deliver a fresh story that would focus on the journey of the individual, a story that would be more character-driven, and would delve deeper into the inner workings of Decepticon leader Megatron.

So after reading the final issue #12, which hit the stands only weeks ago, how do things pan out? Does All Hail Megatron give us something new, something we haven't seen before? Was the payoff in the end worth the year-long wait?

Unfortunately, All Hail Megatron is a story that promised much but doesn't quite live up to the hype. I was anticipating this story might provide us more of an understanding as to why Megatron is both feared and respected throughout the galaxy, a reason beyond his dictatorial imposition of power over the lesser beings of the universe that we have seen played out in cartoon, comic, and movie format time and time again. You might surmise that, with a title like All Hail Megatron, the story would conclude with the reader garnering more of an appreciation for the Decepticon leader.

Do we get this? Not even close. Instead, we are given a Megatron that changes with almost each issue, going from somewhat aloof to strategically scientific back to rash generic power-hungry bad guy by story's end. The reader is left asking "So....why hail Megatron again?" This becomes even more of a question in the final issue when he is incapacitated by a single shot to the face by a human-constructed weapon of Decepticon origin. It is only the new found grudging respect that his second-in-command Starscream suddenly has for his leader that saves Megatron in the end. All Hail Megatron, indeed. Not the ended I expected for the protagonist of this story.

Other questions. What exactly was Megatron trying to accomplish by invading Earth? What was so special about Earth in this seemingly intergalactic war? If Earth was so important to the Decepticon cause, why did Megatron simply want to give it up in the end? What was the point? The reader is left wondering, after twelve months, why these most basic of questions are left unanswered. In addition, the conclusion holds too many similarities to a story written by Chris Sarracini entitled Prime Directive back when now defunct publisher Dreamwave held the license. This further detracts from any freshness this story might have had to a longtime reader of Transformers comics like myself.

If the unclear motivation of Megatron is the story's most glaring flaw, then certainly a close second is the ridiculously slow pacing the reader has to endure. AHM is six issues too long. This is a story that could easily have fit into the space of six issues, and been better off for it. The story just sort of languishes for the first few issues, going nowhere fast. Transformers fans aren't known for their patience. Apparently, someone forgot to tell McCarthy. In one sequence of events, the Autobots trapped on Cybertron seem to bicker with each other for what seems like an eternity, given much more page time than it should have been.

In fairness to Shane, it's no easy task to bring something new to the Transformers table, a table fans have been rabidly indulging in for twenty-five years. Just ask Eric Holmes, who penned IDW's much maligned Megatron:Origin miniseries. In the early interviews prior to the release of AHM, McCarthy's ideas about where he wanted to take things and how he wanted to handle the license showed promise. I was admittedly excited by the prospect of getting a story that focused on the individual journey Megatron might take, a story that fleshed him out a bit more. However, we all carry ideas with us that might be exciting and intriguing in theory, but can fall flat if not executed into a well-written cohesive story format that others can appreciate. It's all in the delivery.

I found McCarthy's dialogue to be the best part of his writing. He knows how to make each character distinct from the next, infusing varying personalities into the cast. This is something I felt has been lacking from Furman's writing. Some fans might complain Shane follows the toy tech specs too closely, but I personally don't have a problem with this. It's a refreshing departure from Furman's approach, where he can be faulted for making many of the characters sound and act the same.

In terms of character development, there are a few pivotal moments in the story, such as the events involving Sunstreaker, that I feel had some real impact on past and potential future events. Characters like Kup and Starscream are well written. There are some nice humorous moments throughout as the cast interacts with one another. This is one of the story's biggest positives. On the flip side, it does have it's share of woeful character moments too. Take Autobot leader Optimus Prime's return towards the end of the story. It's an example of how, in theory it should really hit home, but in execution the writing here can only be described as annoyingly lazy. Fortunately, these kinds of moments are infrequent, though they do detract from the story.

Also on the plus side, artist Guido Guidi is consistently strong throughout the series. His clean lines make things easily decipherable and crisp. The best thing about AHM, in my opinion, were the lovely abstract Trevor Hutchinson covers. Yummy.

I give it a "C". An average story that is painfully protracted yet interspersed with a few strong character moments and supported by some visually pleasing art that, in the end, might make fans feel it's worth the effort.
inflatable dalek

That's a awful lot about something that didn't happen. And most of your individual issues were both favourable and defensive of some of the more stupid changes (woe Soundwave).
wolfbolt86
Protoform

Post by wolfbolt86 »

Isn't it a tad bit crazy/ werid to say that this isn't canon any more when both it is still being canon by the company that is producing it and that there has not been any recent stories that have clamied that it is uncanon yet.
Rossum
Protoform

Post by Rossum »

inflatable dalek wrote:In short: No.

What's especially annoying is that of all the various lose ends needing tying up (Ore 13, the next President as a facsimile, Skywatch, what the EvilU did next, Soundwave's lobotomy etc.)
Loose ends? Obviously those all got blown up by the Decepticons in their takeover of Earth otherwise known as New York. Presto, you have nothing to complain about and can now love AHM freely as you were meant to. :)
inflatable dalek

All the Ore 13, and the facsimilies and the Magnifigance (which is probably the big one to sort out ASAP, till they get rid of it the Autobots are going to seem like morons every time they don't win) were in New York together at the same time?
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

wolfbolt86 wrote:Isn't it a tad bit crazy/ werid to say that this isn't canon any more when both it is still being canon by the company that is producing it and that there has not been any recent stories that have clamied that it is uncanon yet.
And do you also believe that my being stronger or faster has anything to do with my muscles in this place? Do you think that's air you're breathing now?

Wolfbolt. There is no spoon.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Okay, AHM broke Shockwav. Ban him and give me his posts.
Rossum
Protoform

Post by Rossum »

inflatable dalek wrote:All the Ore 13, and the facsimilies and the Magnifigance (which is probably the big one to sort out ASAP, till they get rid of it the Autobots are going to seem like morons every time they don't win) were in New York together at the same time?
Well the facsimiles were obviously all living in the part of D.C. that got blown up, but otherwise, yes. Everything else was stashed around New York, and that's why they've all vanished from the story. Though maybe the Magnificence was in Hot Rod's pocket and broke when he crash-landed on Cybertron. I'll have to consult the issues to decide.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Metroplex is guarding the Magnificence.

There'll be a 4 issue story that basically consists of a massive flashback to Revelation where Hot Rod goes "Right, Magnificence, what do I do with you now? Because keeping you around is going to **** with dramatic tension, yo."

And the Magnificence goes "I hear ya dawg, what yo' gotta do is gives me to Metroplex and let him hide me, aite? Because then he'll be able to be all vague and mysterious and we can squeeze another year's worth of aces drama outta what happened to me and what it is he's hiding, even though it coulda all been explained in like a panel, yo. F'reals."

Hot Rod then responds by asking if there's anything he needs to be forewarned of, like any potential invasions of friendly planets, traitors in their midst and the prospect of being stranded on Cybertron. And the Magnificence TOTALLY punks him by saying "nah, 's all cool from hereon out dawg." Because nobody likes Hot Rod because he, like, wasn't a Diaclone and got Prime killed in the wicked cool animated Movie.

Word.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Metroplex is guarding the Magnificence.

And the Magnificence goes "I hear ya dawg, what yo' gotta do is gives me to Metroplex and let him hide me, aite? Because then he'll be able to be all vague and mysterious and we can squeeze another year's worth of aces drama outta what happened to me and what it is he's hiding, even though it coulda all been explained in like a panel, yo. F'reals."

Word.
I'd buy it.
zigzagger

Transformers: All Hail Megatron #14

Post by zigzagger »

AHM continues with two more stories - one about Sunstreaker, the other about Galvatron. Guest starring the solar pool. This is your Transformers: All Hail Megatron #14 reaction and discussion thread.

Talk.

Scheduled for August 19th.

Preview pages @ comicscontiuum.com.

ImageImageImageImageImage
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

First story was 'meh'. Not sure it added anything to Sunstreaker's history that we didn't know already, but rather just retold what we already do. That Sunstreaker was a tortured soul is no revelation to us. Why not focus instead on how exactly Streaker betrayed the Autobots and how the Decepticons got the codes from Hunterstreaker? Wasted page space. Time to let McCarthy move on to pursue other endeavors.

The second story with Galvatron was satisfying, not because the writing was that impressive (actually, the story was quite lame), but because it gives us some sort of continuity that the abrupt ending of Revelations took from us. What was also nice was that it gave us focused characterization of Cyclonus and Scourge. And of course, having a mad Galvatron is always fun. So I enjoyed this tale more for the character moments, despite the weak story.

Give it a "B-".
Dreadwing
Protoform

Post by Dreadwing »

So I picked up AHM 14 today. The Sunstreaker story is just as expected, a flashback that shows us what we have already been told. Nothing new, no plot holes filled in, nothing to move the overal story forward. Just as useless as the Ironhide/Prime story from 13.

The Galvatron story was better. The art was not spectacular, but was still better than AHM #9 (My standard for IDW worst art), and the story sets up a good future arc. Howerver; as its not wrtten by Mike Costa I wonder how long it will take for this story to come around again.

I made a prediction about Galvatrons fate back in revelations, and this story helps to further that idea. I think: Galvatron, now in control of the darkness, will somehow actually become unicron. The darkness = the anglomos energy from the japanese series, His talk of "bringing chaos" to the universe, in revelation when he states "I AM ..." before being thrown into the solar pool.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Much as AHM 13 was, AHM 14 has a meaningless autobot story and an interesting decepticon one which needed more room to breathe.

The Sunstreaker tale had absolutely nothing of value in it. It wasnt well written and revealed zero. I would have rather seen Bombshells capture and torture of Hunter and how that played into streaker. Theres nothing even really shocking about what the humans do and no indication that Scorponok was the one pulling the strings.

Galvatrons tale at least throws us up something we didnt already know.

Cyclonus is looking like he could have some decent character. I would have liked to have seen some of his thoughts and encounters that lead him to destroy all the old cons (I'm guessing they are all part of nova primes crew but I felt it was a little indistinct) He reminds me of a warped Kup.

Galvatron has a nice looney prophet feel about him. Again, its rushed so it doesnt work as well as it should but its a nice idea and would make a nice basis for his rule of the decepticons versus the more logical Megatron (should it happen) Almost like a religion v science clash. Just hope he loses the flaming eyes because it likes a bit stupid in the strip itself (the cover is damn nice though)

Even Scourge gets a bit of character, seemingly the comic relief of the trio. His creation of the sweeps is a bit muddled thanks to the low page count.
What really confuses though is now that Scourge is officailly an ancient cybertronian... How come Starscream name checked him as a possible usurper to Megatron in AHM? Are IDW that badly organised? Think I know the answer.

So another somewhat pointless Coda (we cant be sure that the Starscream story will actually lead anywhere when the main story kicks back in)
With the news that the ongoing is 3 years after AHM its not quite clear if Galvatrons plot is happening before, during, after or far after AHM. Part of me thinks that IDW dont know for sure either.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Oh for frak's sake.

Issue 13 I didn't bother reading, and this one I'm left wishing much the same.

Sunstreaker got shat on by some humans. We knew that. He didn't like it. We knew that. He wanted to die. We knew that. Eventually he did. We knew that.

What we didn't know is why the **** getting shat on by some humans made him want to commit ****ing genocide upon the whole lot of them. And lo and behold the only pertinent issue that needed addressing is completely ignored as McCarthy just reiterates what we've already seen, but with the added yawn of a Machination scientist getting his rocks off by doing the nasty in front of robots.

But then we should have expected that from the title of Replay.

Whatever.

When is Galvatron's story set? Is it Justin Hawkins and the Darkness that allow him to turn fire into a cloning facility? Why did he call them Sweeps? Where the **** did Scourge come from? Why is Ark spelt wrong? Why do we get another "I Still Function" gag? Who are these robots Cyclonus is melting down? Grindcore, Straxus and Jhiaxus? They don't look like 'em. What the hell is this bobbins about Cyclonus being able to survive the longest when his own Spotlight stated that Galvatron's the only one able to survive in this universe longer than any of the others? Why should I care that the carefully-mapped out alternate and reimagined versions of the characters have now been replaced by knock-offs of the cartoon iterations?

So, we've got one story full of answers we already knew, then one full of questions that shouldn't be raised.

Wooha.

The McCarthy story is more satisfying. That's just flat-out wrong.

Just when I think IDW can inspire only apathy from me, they manage to reignite the seething contempt. And to think I'm actually paying to have this bilge inflicted on me.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I'm going to assume the 'Streaker bit at the beginning is what's going through his mind, not what actually happened... in that context, it works alright. Like others, though, I don't see anything here that gets to why he's suddenly happy to collaborate with Decepticons. Bit of a wasted opportunity. Main plus point is that the death works separately to AHM.

The second story's rather self-aware, isn't it? "What does that mean?" / "I have no idea." If this turns out to lead into something to do with Unicron I'm going to be very disappointed indeed. Dialogue feels like Schmidt is trying to out-Furman Furman. Still, it's staying true to the epic-babble of the Dead Universe plot.

Treading water, overall.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Treading water, overall.
Definitely agree with that assesment for both of the codas so far and theres nothing really in the press release for parts 3 and 4 to make them seem like they will be any different.

I dont know what would be a worse scenario. IDW keeping these plotlines as part of the new series (which will cause similar problems as the MD series clashing with AHM) or just abandoning them altogether as part of a relaunch.

I have a sneaking feeling that 90% of what is part of these mini-spotlights will have no bearing on whats to come. Cant honestly say that thats a bad thing though.
StarscreamX
Protoform

Post by StarscreamX »

Red Dave Prime wrote:Much as AHM 13 was, AHM 14 has a meaningless autobot story and an interesting decepticon one which needed more room to breathe.

The Sunstreaker tale had absolutely nothing of value in it. It wasnt well written and revealed zero. I would have rather seen Bombshells capture and torture of Hunter and how that played into streaker. Theres nothing even really shocking about what the humans do and no indication that Scorponok was the one pulling the strings.

Galvatrons tale at least throws us up something we didnt already know.

Cyclonus is looking like he could have some decent character. I would have liked to have seen some of his thoughts and encounters that lead him to destroy all the old cons (I'm guessing they are all part of nova primes crew but I felt it was a little indistinct) He reminds me of a warped Kup.

Galvatron has a nice looney prophet feel about him. Again, its rushed so it doesnt work as well as it should but its a nice idea and would make a nice basis for his rule of the decepticons versus the more logical Megatron (should it happen) Almost like a religion v science clash. Just hope he loses the flaming eyes because it likes a bit stupid in the strip itself (the cover is damn nice though)

Even Scourge gets a bit of character, seemingly the comic relief of the trio. His creation of the sweeps is a bit muddled thanks to the low page count.
What really confuses though is now that Scourge is officailly an ancient cybertronian... How come Starscream name checked him as a possible usurper to Megatron in AHM? Are IDW that badly organised? Think I know the answer.

So another somewhat pointless Coda (we cant be sure that the Starscream story will actually lead anywhere when the main story kicks back in)
With the news that the ongoing is 3 years after AHM its not quite clear if Galvatrons plot is happening before, during, after or far after AHM. Part of me thinks that IDW dont know for sure either.
Well we CAN be sure these stories are leading into the main series as IDW have flat out SAID they will be. So yeah we'll be seeing more on Galvatron, Starscream etc when the ongoing starts

As for the bit about Starscream name checking Scourge, maybe there's more than one Transformer with the same name? That's the only way I can think of to fix that error
Decepticons forever!

Across the universe...the dead will rise :devil:

The secrets of the Universe reveal themselves to those who listen

Nobody likes you when you're dead
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Well we CAN be sure these stories are leading into the main series as IDW have flat out SAID they will be. So yeah we'll be seeing more on Galvatron, Starscream etc when the ongoing starts

Well ok, I dont really keep up with IDW press releases or message boards. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. But if the ongoing starts up and megatron is back in power as if nothing happened I'll be a bit miffed.

@ Halfshell : That bit about cyclonus being able to survive longer was one I thought of aswell but forgot to mention. In truth the powers of the undead transformers has been bizarly handled from the start. Galvatrons power of death (and passing that onto a reaper no less) havent been explained and probably cant be. But yeah, it got more muddled by the end of this one.

Still, we might actually get to straxus in a bigger role going by the namechecking.