UPDATE: Michael Bay is NOT quitting Transformers

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Rattrap's tail wrote:Haven't ever seen that one, so I don't know it... But was it so bad then??
And yes. Yes it was.

:deadhorse:

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
MeGrimlock
Protoform

Post by MeGrimlock »

Hm. Sounds like an april fools' day joke to me.
Clay

Post by Clay »

numbat wrote:A break of a few years wouldn't be a bad thing - two years to deliver this level of film must have resulted in a number of nervous breakdowns!
Yeah, I think this film this year is appropriate given the positive reaction to the first one, but Hasbro/Paramount really need to let it cool after this. And Hasbro really needs to understand that this is probably the only of its brands that's suitable for a movie adaptation instead of trying to do Stretch Armstrong and Battleship and whatnot.
BlacknRedTed
Protoform

Post by BlacknRedTed »

He makes some good points and I dont blame him for wanting to move on, at the same time, Transformers was good, and I think rotf will be to. So if he doesnt do the 3rd, well I hope it will turn out just as good, if not better with a new director.

Also with this news, maybe if they found a new director and he started on this film asap, then maybe we might get that 2011 release date, instead of 2012. You never know......
Rossum
Protoform

Post by Rossum »

I wouldn't be too surprised if it's a roundabout type of negotiation in order to command a higher fee for the third movie.

This:
Bay, who is known for his explosive action sequences, is sick of receiving negative reviews from critics who dislike his movie-making style and is determined to move away from the genre.

He says, "It's easy to go shoot an art movie in a winery in the South of France. But people have no idea how hard it is to create something like Transformers. They (the critics) review me before they've even seen the movie."
seems a little disingenuous, no? I don't think anyone accuses Bay of taking it easy when making his films, and critics' complaints are more about the stories/scripts being low quality, such that the action sequences are the only draw for viewers. Saying "But I worked really hard on them!" as a reason why it's unfair to criticize just sounds too silly.

If he's speaking specifically about Transformers fans, there's clearly no pleasing us whatsoever, though, and I could understand wanting to give up in the face of that.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Clay wrote: Stretch Armstrong and Battleship and whatnot.
I don't know... Battleship: The Movie could be a blockbuster. Keanu Reeves deadpanning "B-7", Matt Damon frantically screaming "He's hit our destroyer!", Morgan Freeman as God for some reason... it could happen.

As for Bay, I'll believe it when I see another name announced.
The PS3 KILLeR

LIES

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

I think he's only doing this so people will leave him alone, and stop hacking his pc. I mean come on, Bayformers is a household name.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkft38 ... qQ19nnewxw check us out!!!
XBOX LIVE gamertag: DaBeardedXeno
PSN ID: tweco99
Gouki

Post by Gouki »

The PS3 KILLeR wrote:I think he's only doing this so people will leave him alone, and stop hacking his pc. I mean come on, Bayformers is a household name.
No, it's not. It's a name used by annoying internet adult-children.
inflatable dalek wrote:And lest we forget his last attempt to give us a intelligent thoughtful film resulted in The Island.
The writers have to take a large share of the blame for that, too.
"Give into the Demon inside... Shun Goku Sattsu!"
TURBO CHARGER

Post by TURBO CHARGER »

Orci/Kurtzman helped write the Island

ATTENTION: THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT FROM YOUR FRIEND, TURBO CHARGER
Energonshield

Post by Energonshield »

O man Bay im my opinion isa good guy. But he really shouldn't let the media or the critics ( :down:in my opinion they always dislike most action movies:down:) get to him. But Spielburg should be back for Tf3. Im still deciding who should be alongside him.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Hold on, Michael Bay says differently:

http://www.michaelbay.com/newsblog/newsblog.html
Michael Bay wrote:Hah, love press how they spin. Never said it - just wanted a vacation is more to the point. And no I don't read the good or the bad reviews.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Yay. Thread rendered pointless.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Wait, so he is going to direct a TF3 then?

****!!!
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Xeno-the-Hedgehog
Protoform

Post by Xeno-the-Hedgehog »

Since nobody else has said it yet:

And the Fandom rejoiced (and complained).
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

inflatable dalek wrote:Though his Superman film managed a sedate level of dullness.
I've never understood why Superman Returns seems to be so disliked. I think it's a magnificent film and genuinely love it.
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

I'll have to wait and see TF2 to give my full opinion on Bay leaving, but I really liked the first movie and I think he has done a great job so far.

Neuronutter wrote:I've never understood why Superman Returns seems to be so disliked. I think it's a magnificent film and genuinely love it.
Only thing I liked about Superman Returns was Kevin Spacey. Especially when he got in teh face of Lois and screamed "WRONG!!!"
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Basically if I wanted to watch a Richard Donner Superman film I'd put the original on rather than a Bootleg Beatles tribute.

And Michael Bay may or may not be directing the next one. Glad we've got that cleared up.
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

inflatable dalek wrote:Basically if I wanted to watch a Richard Donner Superman film I'd put the original on rather than a Bootleg Beatles tribute.

And Michael Bay may or may not be directing the next one. Glad we've got that cleared up.
I thought the film managed to respect what came before nicely, while telling a great tale of Superman. I really do love it and think it's a magnificent film.

As for Bay, I think he'll be back for the next, but that's just my take. He'd be a little mad to not given the opportunity.
numbat

Post by numbat »

I personally loved ROTF, and I actually think that Bay does an excellent job bringing Transformers to the screen - although others could do it (especially now that it has been so well established by Bay), I doubt many could do as good a job. Bay was made for this! I do sincerely hope he and Kutzman and Orci team up for a third, of equal richness (in TF universe - not in plot depth!). But I do think they should leave it a wee while. Don't overdo it!

And, yeah, Transformers were a dodgy enough proposition for a film with a wide audience - let alone any of the other Hasbro possibles! It's amazing TF worked - I don't think it would be wise to risk it on other less viable franchises!

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Neuronutter wrote:I've never understood why Superman Returns seems to be so disliked. I think it's a magnificent film and genuinely love it.
Ah, but was that before or after Mark Kermode told you it was great.*

* - Please note I have no idea what Kermode thought of it. Nor do I care. Cross-thread pisstaking FTW.