[Animated] Reaction Thread: Episode 22 - "Rise of the Constructicons"

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

[Animated] Reaction Thread: Episode 22 - "Rise of the Constructicons"

Post by Jaynz »

Caught this one on Youtube. While funny in a lot of spots, pretty much all the Decepticons were reduced to comic relief in this one (a lot like watching a second-tier cartoon from the 80s).

Almost a filler episode, apart from the introduction of Mixmaster and Scrapper (a pair of unfortunately terrible characters, existing entirely for laughs). There's a few moments in the base that show that the plot is moving along, but nothing major.

And, of course, we get a bizzare pair of RID references.

All in all, a pretty skippable episode if it weren't for the introduction of the Constructicons. Not the worst of the series, but pretty near the bottom. It's got a lot more in common with the worst of the RID run, unfortunately.
Detective Barricade

Post by Detective Barricade »

I rather enjoyed this episode! Megatron's manipulation of Scrapper and Mixmaster was sheer classic. He knew exactly how their minds worked and how to make them see things his way. Though, the red car thing was a very odd choice of RiD homage (Sideburn's thing)...:wtf: A nice episode overall!:D Up next, "A Fistful of Energon", with returning guest, Lockdown!
Got a complaint?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Complaints department: making complaints disappear since 2009!
BackTrax
Protoform

Post by BackTrax »

This was an all right episode, but again, I'm ready for them to start moving the real plot along. And even if they weren't going to use the ability to become devastator, I kind of wish they would have used more than just 2 constructicons.
Don't follow me, you'll never make it!"
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

I loved this one. The Constructicons were hilarious. I loved how Megatron was able to trick them into working them so easily. It shows how manipulative he can be. He also went back to the idea that the Autobots are oppressor's, and the Decepticons are liberators.

I actually felt bad for Bulkhead in the end of the episode. Once again, Animated has demonstrated an ability to add a sense of maturity to an episode, even in a relatively silly one.

Also, G1 Spike and Sparkplug showed up again at the construction site. Guess Sparkplug wasn't killed in the Space Barnacles episode.
SimonMK
Protoform

Post by SimonMK »

Are Mixmaster and Scrapper supposed to be Robot Rednecks...?
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

SimonMK wrote:Are Mixmaster and Scrapper supposed to be Robot Rednecks...?
Stereotypes (and bad ones) of New York city construction workers.
SimonMK
Protoform

Post by SimonMK »

TFVanguard wrote:Stereotypes (and bad ones) of New York city construction workers.
I see... I just never seen construction workers like that before.
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

SimonMK wrote:I see... I just never seen construction workers like that before.
It's more of a characature than anything, the sort of thing you see on bad sitcoms. (Or, heavily parodized on Futurama). I've never actually met any in person that act like that, mind you.
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

That was a fun, funny episode. A little daft with some moral lessons that came across a little heavy handed, but hey it's a kids show. The introduction of the Constructicons was well handled, though it's a little odd they get a chunk of All Spark in them and hey presto- they can talk and have personalites. Ah well. It's good to have the odd fun, throw away episode, something to break up the seriousness of the show, though I am looking forward to things getting back on track and I can't wait for the last few episodes of the season.

Any sign when season 3 may start, as I'm gonna miss my weekly fix of TF cartoon goodness?
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Blitzwing wrote:I loved this one. The Constructicons were hilarious. I loved how Megatron was able to trick them into working them so easily. It shows how manipulative he can be. He also went back to the idea that the Autobots are oppressor's, and the Decepticons are liberators.
I rather liked this episode as well for the same reason. The display of how cunning Megatron can be in manipulating others was very well handled. I loved how he flipped it around and made the Autobots seem as though they had driven the Decepticons from their rightful home.

True a lot of the episode was stereotypical and played more for comedy than seriousness, the episode did still have a good moral lesson and was handled well in that respect.
Wingsabre
Protoform

Post by Wingsabre »

I thought it was a good episode.

I was relieved the Constructicons were good.

They are butch and funny.

But a lot steriotypical.

Not that it matters much about the cliches.

The G1 Constructicons were camp and annoying.

And Devastator was just stupid.

It took him ages just to say his name.
It was like Devas......Punch, throw, smack, from whoever was fighting him......tat.....finishing blow.....er...... finished of by whoever he was fighting.

These are good characters.

And yeah the scary RID reference.

I always thought that Sideburn was in need of a therapy.

You would have thought he would know it was a car not a Transformer.

I hope they never bring back Devastor in any form ever.

Two Constructicons is fine by me.

But I thought the end was a good time to make them see that the Autobots were friendly to them.

I hope they make them good characters.
The flinch in your eyes calls your bluff
Feel free to die when youve had enough
Useless cause is breaking your back
Your life will end when you attack

Check out my art here

http://viviax.deviantart.com/
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

I always thought that Sideburn was in need of a therapy.

You would have thought he would know it was a car not a Transformer.
That's just it - he DID know that. It was a running joke to him to alleviate boredom. He admitted it to Prowl when Sky-Byte was (badly) disguised as a red sport's car.
Wingsabre
Protoform

Post by Wingsabre »

I have not got that far yet.

I am on episode 3 of Car Robots so far.
The flinch in your eyes calls your bluff
Feel free to die when youve had enough
Useless cause is breaking your back
Your life will end when you attack

Check out my art here

http://viviax.deviantart.com/
Vincent
Protoform

Post by Vincent »

I'm really surprised by the reactions in this thread. This episode is probably my 2nd favorite, right next to The Thrill of The Hunt.

It was very comedic, and I loved the light-hearted personalities of the Construct(obots/icons). Though the personalities themselves weren't very deep, the way they were handled with the situations they encountered was extremely well-written in my opinion.

Though I did feel bad for Bulkhead in the end, overall I just felt bad for Mix and Scrapper. They were the ones who kept getting tricked and didn't know which is which.

Oh well, here's to you guys. *drinks oil* aaaah