Marvel G1 and G2

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
DirtDigger324
Protoform

Marvel G1 and G2

Post by DirtDigger324 »

Is the Marvel G1 and G2 in essence the same series. After issue 80 is issue 1 of G2 really a contiuation of G1 rather than a separate story altogther?
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Yes, but it follows Marvel US continuity. Though it doesn't occur immediately after Marvel US #80. I suppose it could fit in with the UK stuff, with a bit of finagling. :\

edit: also take in mind the 5 issue (it was 5, wasn't it) UK G2 is a bit different to US G2.
DirtDigger324
Protoform

Post by DirtDigger324 »

so what this means is that the series truly ends with the G2 series and not after issue 80.
dotCommunism
Protoform

Post by dotCommunism »

Well, G2 follows G1, but you could always just read G1 without G2 and still be fine.

Also, there are a few GI Joe issues which serves as a prequel to G2. Issues 138-142 of GI Joe (although 138 doesn't have much Transformers stuff). You can get by without reading the GI Joe issues, but it helps set up some things for G2.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

DirtDigger324 wrote:so what this means is that the series truly ends with the G2 series and not after issue 80.
Nop, the story truly ends (well, comes to a sort of finish... Furman doesn't do endings unless he has to, as he's pretty fecking awful at them). The series still ends with #80, as it was the last issue of the series...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Every story ends where it ends.

A sequel doesn't change the self-contained nature of the original (well, unless you're George Lucas or something). The saga may be ongoing, but the story is finite.

It's like today's Thursday. That'll end. There may be unresolved elements in your life that'll carry through into Friday, but that doesn't alter the self-contained nature of today.
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

In Furman's defence for G1 he was initially told Issue 75 was to be the last one and that was in effect his ending. But when they extended it for another 4 issues he had to tack on the epilogue and do another few issues.

Although Another Time and Place is a good ending for G1.

Andy
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I always view those last few issues as less the end of ye olde comic and more providing a lot of the groundwork for G2 so it can hit the ground running a lot easier (which wasn't the intent of course, but not having to bring Prime back or deal with the Unicron battle aftermath helped G2 a lot I think as it only left unanswered questions no one cares about such as why everyone stopped being action masters).
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Yes, G2 #12 is the last story in Marvel (US) Transformers continuity.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]