Best Cliffhangers in Transformers

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Originally posted by Ozz
"We are Thunderwing" from US #... 65?
Best. Cliffhanger. Ever. Even if the potential for an awesome conclusion was squandered by the next issue.

Not really a cliffhanger in the conventional sense, but I've always loved the end of G2#7. Megatron (well, the half of him that's left, anyway) singlehandedly forcing his way through an entire Autobot encampment to confront Optimus Prime in his sickbed.

"I'm back...and I'm not happy."

Top notch. :up:

Exodus gets top marks from me, too. The Decepticons headed off to plunder new worlds, Megatron and Galvatron running into each other on the Earthbound Ark and the Autobots stranded on a dying Cybertron, all in one issue.

G2 #12. The Big One, the cliffhanger that never got a proper resolution (no, an unofficial convention fanfic doesn't count).
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Magnus calling Galvatron out in Target was pretty awesome too.
I dunno about that one. I think the art really lets down what should have been an amazing scene. :(

The first part of Salvage felt the same way to me. Magnus on the ground, unable to get up and face his greatest fear, should have been one of the defining moments of the whole UK run, but the way Lee Sullivan drew the last page was more comical than anything else. :\
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Originally posted by Warcry
G2 #12. The Big One, the cliffhanger that never got a proper resolution (no, an unofficial convention fanfic doesn't count).

Your mean Alignment? But...Furm-lock wrote it, didn't he? That was a convention book?
Huh, shows what I know. Oh well, I didn't read it so therefore it is unimportant to me and should be struck from this discussion ;)

Anyhooo, I am definately on the same boat with those who thought the conclusion in the of TF US #4, combined with the shocking intro of TF US #5 is one of those defining moments in the TransMarvel-verse. Shockwave showing up at the end of the 4th issue was shocking enough, though the gravity of the situation doesn't really sink in until the introduction of the 5th issue, when we see Shockwave walking through a corridor with dead Autobots strung upside down like cadavers from the ceiling, and Prime's head in the following room.
"...Are All Dead" Yay!!!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by zigzagger
Your mean Alignment? But...Furm-lock wrote it, didn't he? That was a convention book?

It was a Transforce exclusive.

It has a high Canonicity Quotient, due to being written by Furman, but cannot achieve Full Canonicity as it wasn't licensed by Hasbro.

:(
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Hmm, trying to think one from the G1 cartoon...but the two-parters were generally pretty crappy.

The only good one I can think of really is from TROOP.

"I've done it! Optimus Prime lives!"
"It's true, our leader is back!"
"Yes Sky Lynx, and this time, no force in the universe can stop me."

The child in me cheers every time.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by Halfshell
It was a Transforce exclusive.

It has a high Canonicity Quotient, due to being written by Furman, but cannot achieve Full Canonicity as it wasn't licensed by Hasbro.

:(

Well, it is covered in the Ultimate Guide if that helps *Ducks*

Ahem- For me the big put off is it's a years latter continuation rather and probably isn't much like what issue 13 would have been.

I'm trying to think- were any good cliffhangers created in the UK by cutting up the US issues?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Philister
Protoform

Post by Philister »

I think there were some nice cliffhangers in the cartoon:

Five Faces of Darkness, part 1:
Cyclonus: "DECEPTICONS! ATTAAAAACK!"
(Hordes of Decepticons attack Rodimus and Grimlock)

Five Faces of Darkness, part 4:
Quintesson: "And now, very soon now, Cybertorn will be ours!"
(Ends with scores of Decepticons descending on Cybertron)

The Ultimate Doom, part 1:
Optimus Prime pushing the trigger that causes Cybertron to appear above the Earth.

Starscream's Ghost:
Where you see that Starscream is now possessing the form of Scourge, chuckling away.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek

Ahem- For me the big put off is it's a years latter continuation rather and probably isn't much like what issue 13 would have been.

Yeh, it certainly lost a lot of lustre after fan groups like CG2/TMUK did their own, actually good things with Maximo.
I'm trying to think- were any good cliffhangers created in the UK by cutting up the US issues?

There were a couple that actually really worked. Damned if I can remember them, though... I'll have a leaf through later.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Yeh, it certainly lost a lot of lustre after fan groups like CG2/TMUK did their own, actually good things with Maximo.

Indeedey- though since posting that it occured to me issue 12 probably isn't much like it would have been had there been a #13 (for starters would it have been a double issue?), so it's a moot point really. Lets say instead I've no interest in it because it looks crap.

In terms of more recent stuff, though it's not a cliffhanger as such what happens to Nightbeat was fairly soul destroying despite the art goofing a bit
SPOILER! (select to read)
resulting in the implant thing looking bigger than Nightbeats head...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

In terms of more recent stuff, though it's not a cliffhanger as such what happens to Nightbeat was fairly soul destroying despite the art goofing a bit
SPOILER! (select to read)
resulting in the implant thing looking bigger than Nightbeats head...

I'd say that qualifies as a good cliffhanger, since, chances are, the events from Spotlight: Nightbeat won't be revealed until Revelation (cuz' Simon said so, and his word is...something).
edit: It's a cliffhanger because we're forced to wait...and wait.
Housewife2000
Protoform

Post by Housewife2000 »

City of Fear terrified me as a kid
Part 1 cliffhanger - zombie claws burst out of the ground to attack our heroes
Part 3 cliffhanger - zombie Impactor
Part 5 Trypticon!

I'm pretty sure it was the combination of robot zombies and the hideous deaths of 'redshirt' Transformers in this arc that led my parents into cancelling our subscription to the comic. Which meant apart from the odd issue and collected comics, I didn't read much past UK #200 until The Internet.
Damn them, damn them both to hell!
Titus Andronicus

Post by Titus Andronicus »

Does Dreamwave's "where the Hell's my pay" episode count? Bet they thought it was a cliffhanger all right...
Come see the Titus Files

Their defences are broken, let the slaughter begin!
BWW 2000
Protoform

Post by BWW 2000 »

Originally posted by Halfshell
It's bad enough we had to put up with Armordillo and K-9.

'Good dog, K9'
'Affirmative'
;)
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

A few I really liked from the cartoon:

The Dinobots getting run into the tar pit and sinking slowly in "Dinobot Island."

"Have I saved Cybertron...only to destroy...the Earth?" - Prime in "The Ultimate Doom"

Scorponok arises at the end of part 2 of "Rebirth."

And my personal favorite: Prime getting blown off the side of the mountain in Burma in "More Than Meets the Eye" part 2.