[Titan] UK comic / IDW "Saga of the Allspark"

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
Nah, it was taking into account most kids are fat bastards nowadays.

Mine are two skinny rats.

They both want to win a Dalek. The eldest thinks it'd be cool; the youngest is hoping to exterminate people.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by Clogs
Mine are two skinny rats.

Well, you thin k of that poor obese, unloved child who's one ray of hope was the chance of winning a Transformers T-Shirt that might- might just win him one sole friend on the playground. He'll probably be reaching for the razor blaeds about now.

Or, on the other hand the readership might be so low you were the only one to enter...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Or, on the other hand the readership might be so low you were the only one to enter...

By heck! I'll be sure to enter every single competition in the mag from now on.

Have you sent off for the Dr Who Dalek comp yet, then? Think how you could be depriving an innocent child of the innocent fun/pants-wetting terror of owning a life-sized Dalek!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Clogs
By heck! I'll be sure to enter every single competition in the mag from now on.

Have you sent off for the Dr Who Dalek comp yet, then? Think how you could be depriving an innocent child of the innocent fun/pants-wetting terror of owning a life-sized Dalek!

I'm telling you, Ebay. Sadly DWA seem to insist on having photo's of their big competition winners in the mag. :(
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Sadly DWA seem to insist on having photo's of their big competition winners in the mag. :(

Surely you'd be big enough? Ah - I see. I could always hire you a Scraplet at reasonable cost if you win...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Got #4... the art's a big step-up from last issue, though having a colour palette that went beyond beige probably didn't hurt. The story kinda goes a long way towards explaining why TFs don't really have solo stories, though. Dull as ditchwater.
SPOILER! (select to read)
Devastator finds some holograms that make him angry. He nicks their energy and goes. The End
Fan-tastic. Seeing as Furman clearly doesn't think this thing is worth a damn, it's a massive shame they aren't using it to blood some new writers...
inflatable dalek

I think the comic needs to be doing post Movie-stuff ASAP really (especially considering that at the current rate the Movie Adaption won't finish until around the time the second one comes out...)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

the Movie Adaption
I don't think they're going to print it. The film's out on DVD and most kids wouldn't see any value.
inflatable dalek

In that case it'll still take them a year just to do the Prequel, I suspect most of the target audience is more interested in what happened next.
Housewife2000
Protoform

Post by Housewife2000 »

Just read #4 as well - looks pretty, lacks anything approaching a story.

If Titan are worried about messing with post-movie continuity, why not pull a Marvel-UK and concentrate on characters released as toys but not featured in any media - Arcee, Longarm, Landmine, Dreadwing, Dropkick, Incinerator, Payload, Stockade, Swindle and Wreckage make up a decent cast of troops.
inflatable dalek

I like how the person who puts the cover together seems to think Starscream is Devastator.

This was OK actually, a old story but made slightly more fun by having a lead character who doesn't give a **** about the mystery. It would be nice if they'd standardise the Cybertronian mode from artist to artist though...

No way was that Mirage drawing done by a 9 year old.
inflatable dalek

Issue 5- Another fun little romp but it was perhaps a mistake to have two stories with ghosts in in a row. And non Movie toy characters!
Housewife2000
Protoform

Post by Housewife2000 »

I liked this story, since it seemed to do more - there were two plots intertwined, and while on their own they would be pretty weak, the combination at least made it feel more developed than the last piece.

I'm growing tired of Furman's dialogue though - I'd love to see another writer have a go at this. This is probably as close as Transformers will get to the proving grounds of 2000AD's Future Shocks.

Nice art work, although the non-movie characters based on the classic G1/G3 design clash rather badly with Ironhide's appearance, despite Guido's clean unifying art.

Finally, is that a Transmetal 2 driver I noticed at the end? Interesting...
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Housewife2000

Nice art work, although the non-movie characters based on the classic G1/G3 design clash rather badly with Ironhide's appearance, despite Guido's clean unifying art.

Where were they? The only other characters I recall seeing were all based on repaints of Energon toys rather than G1 homages...
Housewife2000
Protoform

Post by Housewife2000 »

Sorry - I meant the design aesthetic favoured by the G1 / Unicron saga character models, i.e. the non-movie look traditionally used in toys/comics/animation since 1984.

I like the movie designs, and I like the Energon / pre-movie designs, I just don't think they work together. Besides, there's plenty of non-movie characters from the movie toy-line who could have fulfilled this role.
inflatable dalek

Well for reasons best known to Mr. Tesco just in time for the new issue to come out we've suddenly had a whole load of issue 5 show up in the store- which is odd as i only saw one copy in the week of release.

These are "Tesco exclusive" (I don't know the ones we had earlier were or not as I get mine from Smith's) and have "Two exclusive to tesco Gifts"- though the packaginf doesn't say what. Assuming they don't mean the disc launcher that came with the non exclusive version all I could see was a funky sticker sheet.

Still, a good sign as the Co wouldn't go in for a deal like that unless the title had been performing well for them.

[Disclaimer incase the comic suddenly gets cancelled: This would have been decided after the first couple of issues so sales could have fallen hugely since then...]
Housewife2000
Protoform

Post by Housewife2000 »

((Spoilers))

Issue 6 - Hmmm, this doesn't feel much like a Jazz tale at all.

I don't mind the fact Jazz doesn't sound like his on-screen movie incarnation (since it's one of the worst aspects of the movie), but he doesn't sound like any incarnation of Jazz either. Instead he comes across as "generic Autobot who's tired of war". Zzzzz.

The story packs a lot in, which I like, but it's a fairly bland Futureshock type tale, with a cop-out resolution. The flashback adds nothing, since Jazz doesn't overcome his guilt about Clocker. And once again I don't see the point in using Clocker, whose G3 look is completely at odds with the movie designs, when Landmine, Arcee and Longarm are all going spare.

Since the Clocker/guilt angle is ignored, the message of the story is basically "your war-torn homeworld is better than a giant living planet that absorbs people". Oh, and the other message is "Jazz is a bit crap": Of all the movie-bots to portray as needing to be rescued, it compounds his inglorious end in the movie to have him shown as gullible and useless here.

That all said, I quite liked the art, which was fluid and energetic, and the colouring was bright and detailed. I've seen better but I've seen a lot worse and it's nice to get some variety.
inflatable dalek

Considering the Movie makes it clear that Jazz only acts like that because he's asimilated Earth's culture it makes sense for a Pre-Internet access Jazz to be totally different. I rather liked his Sustreakerish persona here.
Housewife2000
Protoform

Post by Housewife2000 »

You're absolutely right - his dialogue tics would be different, but I just didn't think he came across as First Lieutenant material, eager to lead the charge.
inflatable dalek

It's unclear though exactly how long before we meet him in the film this is- The fact they still think there's a inhabitable Cybertron to go back to suggests this is before the war ruined the planet so he's got a long time to evolve. he maint not even be first Lt. yet.