[RID,UT] Armada MTMTE #2 (Spoilers)

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Bombshell

Armada MTMTE #2 (Spoilers)

Post by Bombshell »

I liked the first issue of this series, although there were a few problems with it (Galvatron, needless pages for the Mini-Con repaints). And although I thought this one was a good issue, there was a lot here that I didn't like. Unlike with #1, however, I couldn't ignore it.

For starters, there was Nemesis Prime. Like Galvatron, they had to put in a character that was never in the comics, and they had to do it in a way that could work. Unforunately, unlike what they did with Galvatron, they just took the plot of "Puppet" and boiled it down to a six sentence summary. I do think they could have done a lot better here.

Then there's Optimus. I know that there were two versions of the toy, the Deluxe Bendy Prime and the Super Brick Prime. But does anyone else think that they could have somehow find a way to combine both versions of the toy in the profile, and list both Over-Run and Sparkplug as his Mini-Con partners?

And there's also the Sea Team. Not too much with the writing, but with the artwork. Like with the weapon Mini-Cons, the color scheme change can be explained as being how they look when under Decepticon control, which is a good idea until you realize that every single written profile about them has mention that they're already in full league with the Decepticons.

But these are nothing compared to Sideways. I mean, I knew that, of all the Armada characters, he was going to be the most potentially screwupable one, because of how he was handled in both mediums. In the cartoon, he was a tool of Unicron, while in the comics, he was just a generic Decepticon. Well, DW decided to try to combine the two, by saying that he was a minion of Unicron while having elements of the comics. (Like mentioning that he sent Rook and Crosswise to the Mini-Con moonbase to infiltrate and learn more about the population.) This, of course, causes some problems. Ignoring for a moment the fact that Unicron already had his own Heralds, it's completly impossible to believe that he could be Unicron's Herald here, because Unicron was never around until the last few issues. And if he was Unicron's minion, how come Unicron didn't detect him in #18, and why was he hunkering down with Tidal Wave, Wheeljack and other Decepticons instead of shooting them right and left?

Also, I'm not too sure, but I think that there are some pages missing from my copy. Does anyone else have a copy that has bios of Skywarp and Smokescreen? I mean, they were on the cover, and the letters page of Energon #21 said that Skywarp's bio would be in #2.

Long story short, despite some good art, and some great profiles, I was disappointed in this issue, and I'm not looking foward to #3, since they'll have to explain the Powerlinx characters (Prime and Jetfire are the only ones they can get away with, since they were the only ones to appear in the comic), waste more pages explaining Prime's super mode, and Unicron, who they can do one of two ways: the time hopping Chaos Bringer or the creator of the Mini-Cons. I really hope they don't do to him what they did with Sideways and try to combine the two different versions of him.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

My favorite bit was this from the Megatron entry, this gem about his gun:

"Any Autobot unfortunate enough to fall victim to the wepon have been completely vaporized"

I guess Smokescreen doesn't know how lucky he was

:laugh:
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

We've seen some real cop-outs over the years from Furman ["Oh my God, I'm in a parallel universe!" "Ooooh, timestorm", the harpoon, TF:WW etc.], but that one really took the biscuit. Megatron shoots Smokescreen in the face, from a range of about an inch and a half, and all that happens is he's bed-ridden. Give up, Megs...
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Perhaps Megs just forgot to stick his gun on charge when he went to bed the night before? Seriously though, it's a shame someone (possiably Hasbro?) seems to have banned toy deaths in the comic, resulting in the need to create one off's like Dropshot for roles that could have been filled by toy charecters.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Darth Shrapnel
Protoform

Post by Darth Shrapnel »

I liked Scavenger`s bio, it was just like I imagined it after seeing him in the show. An toughfearless Autobot that most Decepticons are afraid of. But why was he afraid of Demolishor in Worlds Collide? :\
"Im drowning in footwear!"