I'm curious to find out...

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Joe Ng his work on MTMTE #7 was superb, and he has a good way of showing up Pat Lee even unintentionally. I loved his Abominus probably the single greatest Transformer drawing ever.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Originally posted by Ultimate Weapon
Joe Ng his work on MTMTE #7 was superb, and he has a good way of showing up Pat Lee even unintentionally. I loved his Abominus probably the single greatest Transformer drawing ever.

ill tell you one thing about joe, and people might agree with me by looking at alot of the work on his site... hes pat lee, except with everything right.
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

My personal favorite is William Johnson. It was sleek and robotic, but at the same time he was able to have the emotional aspect shine through in the facial expressions of the characters. I don't know of anyone else that could do this. When Wildman tried, his characters looked human and just plain stupid, IMO.
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Originally posted by Ultimate Weapon

Actually, Don did that.
Originally posted by CounterPunch
ill tell you one thing about joe, and people might agree with me by looking at alot of the work on his site... hes pat lee, except with everything right.

Heh.

As for my faves, I'm kinda partial to Don's work, because he can make toys that look like either suck incredibly or look like they suck incredibly and make them look real great. Armada Jetfire, Armada Side Swipe and the G1 seekers all fall into these categories. Not too great toys, but Don makes them look good.

I liked Andrew Wildman's art in the old Marvel stuff, but his work on Dark Ages leave a lot to be desired from what I can see. I mean, it's great and all, but I can't find myself enjoying it, especially since he's following on Don's heels.

Guido Guidi is another one I like, since he's able to take the cartoon style of Armada and make it look great.

I'm a fan of Joe Ng, too, but maybe that's cause I actually know the guy... ;)

And although I hated Pat Lee's work outright to begin with, I find myself enjoying some of his work little by little as time goes on. That said, there is stuff he's done that I will never, ever like. (Armada #6 and 7, Starscream in MTMTE #6 and Demolishor in Armada MTMTE #1)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Just out of interest, how many of you are actually divorcing the art from the final comic page? Lots of the DW artists get the advantage in this way because everything's slick computer colouring [well, apart from the bits of WW: DA where no-one bothered], whereas some of, say, Geoff Senior's best work got pissed on by Crayola Yomtov [the reason he coloured every American Transformers comic is because the guys at Quasar and Wonder-Man wouldn't take him]. I mean, when you think about it, so much of the pleasing visuals in, say, the G1 ongoing are due to the fact it's beautifully coloured, whereas about the only Marvel colourist who was really good was Gina.

It must also be nice for DW to not have actual deadlines... Marvel tended to release a comic typically within two months of the date on the cover :p
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Just out of interest, how many of you are actually divorcing the art from the final comic page? Lots of the DW artists get the advantage in this way because everything's slick computer colouring [well, apart from the bits of WW: DA where no-one bothered], whereas some of, say, Geoff Senior's best work got pissed on by Crayola Yomtov
And they often looked amazing anyway, which tells you something about the quality of Senior's art.
I mean, when you think about it, so much of the pleasing visuals in, say, the G1 ongoing are due to the fact it's beautifully coloured
I dunno...the Pat Lee stuff that I like (a tiny sampling of his usually poor output, admittedly) depends heavily on good colouring, but for Figueroa's work I find that the shiny colours actually detract from the overall quality. It adds to the 'polish' that I complain about from time to time.
about the only Marvel colourist who was really good was Gina.

I quite liked Sarra Mossoff's G2 work, myself. It fit quite well with the style of art in that series.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Well, as I said, I realize the limitations that the Marvel artists had due to the amount of colors available and quality allowed at the time.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

A good inker helps as well, go open up your copies of All Fall Down and compare how the Megs/Ratchet hybrid looks at the end of "Eye of the Storm" compared to the first page of the next issue (the first to be inked by Stephen Baskerville), the difference is very noticable.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Hound

Post by Hound »

Just out of interest, how many of you are actually divorcing the art from the final comic page?

Well of course I am. I've not been asked which TF artist can tell a story best. Senior probably wouldn't even make my list if I remembered who any of the other artists from the Marvel series were. I know he can tell a story well but that wasn't what I was asked to judge...
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Don't get me wrong, there are some of you I know can do so... it's just lots of Dreamwave artists seem to be featuring, and I honestly think Don's work would look nowhere near as good as Geoff's in three-colour dot printing...
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Don't get me wrong, there are some of you I know can do so... it's just lots of Dreamwave artists seem to be featuring, and I honestly think Don's work would look nowhere near as good as Geoff's in three-colour dot printing...

cliff has a good point, if you would take a tf artist from say 15 years ago and colour their art in the style used today id dare say it would look good, but if you colour like dons artwork in the style of colouring used 15 years ago and it wouldnt look very good i dont think.