Transformers G1 Series

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
itdinternet
Protoform

Transformers G1 Series

Post by itdinternet »

Hey everyone! I'm new to board but I'm glad to know that I'm not the only fanatic Transformers fan out there. I have some thoughts, ideas, and questions.

First off, I was too young to vividly remember the entire G1 TV-series 20 years ago but thank god the DVDs are out! I up to the first few episodes of Season 3 and I just realized the original show is by far the best cartoon ever created. The show came out way before it's time.

That leads me to my question... Why wouldn't Hasbro re-release the G1 series but this time re-vamp the graphics with today's technology (like they have with Prime and Soundwave in the Season 2 DVD Main Menu) and fix up the plot a bit. I'd pretty much follow the scipt from the orginal series but I would make changes where necessary.

To me, it makes too much sense. The audience would include the current youth generation and the million fanatics like ourselves out there. I think they'd generate huge ratings and the fans would be thrilled. These spin-off shows like Armada, RIB, and Beast Wars don't cut it. I want the original Wheeljacks, Sunstreaks, Ironhides back!

G1 has been the best and will always be. Go back to the roots and start over but finish it the right way!

Anyone else feel the same?
"Transform And Roll Out!"

Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Welcome to the board.

Wrong forum, this one.

As for why Hasbro wouldn't, the answer's simple. They have no interest in doing it. There's no point for them to do it.
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

RID>Original Cartoon
Armada>RID
Beast Wars>Armada
Original comic>Beast Wars (though, I'd say that BW is very close to the comic)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Collectors aren't a sustainable market. Kids are. Kids are buying into Armada in a big way. I can't see Hasbro changing a highly successful strategy.

Erm, welcome to the board, by the way! :)

We're not always quite this abrupt, but the question comes up a lot. The answer is just simple economics. Oh, and the fact that Hasbro have lost the trademarks to many of the characters.
-+-Unicr0nus-+-
Protoform

Post by -+-Unicr0nus-+- »

I'm noobie to the whole transformers collecting and well I haven't been following tf's since I got older and realized beast wars is a piece of human feces.

Anyway, the recent ARMADA transformers reeeelled me back in and now I'm hyped to start collecting - now that I have the funds to do so.

Anyway, I want to know more about how hasbro lost the rights to some of the names... to whom?

welcome man! I'm new too! :)
Place Holder For New Sig
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

In the toy world, you have to reuse trademarks to keep them, otherwise they lapse... some examples are Hot Rod (Rodimus Major), Ravage (Tripredacus Agent), Grapple (Autobot Grapple), etc.

BW? Better written than the kid's flipbook which was the 'G1' show.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by -+-Unicr0nus-+-
beast wars is a piece of human feces.

Beast Wars has superb animation, a consistent plot, excellent characters and great toys.

That's unlike any poo I've ever made.
Civ

Post by Civ »

In my list of best to worst shows that I have watched.

1. Beast Wars
2. Beast Machines
3. G1 cartoon
4. RiD/Armada (In my opinion, they both sucked)

Where the Japanese shows would rank is unknown to me since I never saw any of them.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Hound

Post by Hound »

I'm noobie to the whole transformers collecting and well I haven't been following tf's since I got older and realized beast wars is a piece of human feces.

Did you at one point like it? What was it that changed your mind? Please elaborate...

Welcome!

itdinternet, the problem with what you are suggesting is that Hasbro tried something very similar to that a decade ago (Generation 2) and it didn't do well at all. I doubt that they would take the risk a second time. Besides with all the success that they've had with new series and new ideas they've no reason to look back at the old.
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The Japanese shows are typically the American ones with some different faces for some archetypes. But because they're different and Japanese, they're obviously miles better than anything else. They're often distressingly used as a status symbol by some twats, who wave Victory around to shut people up "ah, you may think the comic's good, but you've never seen the subbed version of the one where Hellbat gets all confused and shoots Deathcobra while Holi tries to feel up that pink girl one, so your opinion is valid".

See, look at that you Jafanboy wankers. I used to like the Japanese series, and now because of idiots like you, I hate the things.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

beast wars is a piece of human feces.

Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Originally posted by Brendocon
Beast Wars has superb animation, a consistent plot, excellent characters and great toys.

That's unlike any poo I've ever made.

HAHAHAH
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
See, look at that you Jafanboy wankers. I used to like the Japanese series, and now because of idiots like you, I hate the things.
Now, now. Not all who like Japanese series are fanboys. Besides, if you stop liking a certain part of Transformers because it has irritating fanboys/fangirls you´ll very soon run out of TF related things to like. Well, except possibly Ladybird books. :\
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Only too happy to oblige Osku...

Laydebid b00kz rool man. They the best books ever. Better than that Lord of the Rings ****. I think they should remake them into full length action novels complete with a pop up cover of Arcee chestplateless. Better than those ****ty Marvel comix too. Trukk Not Monkii!
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Fenris
Protoform

Post by Fenris »

I think i'll think forever G1 first season is the best one because i saw it when i was joung ^^

Between the new series....i think beast machine is the best one
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Osku
Now, now. Not all who like Japanese series are fanboys. Besides, if you stop liking a certain part of Transformers because it has irritating fanboys/fangirls you´ll very soon run out of TF related things to like. Well, except possibly Ladybird books. :\

No, some of you are lovely... but I think it's just because there are about 8 of us in that forum, and 3 or 4 are either rabid name-dropping fanboys, or just incredibly snide [Hyda thingummy wouldn't piss me off if he didn't ponce around going "boy, you got that wrong... but I'm not saying how", and his attitude on ATT is supremely slappable], it just feels a lot worse than over here, where there are around 50 poststers, 20-odd of whom are fanboyish.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

...it just feels a lot worse than over here, where there are around 50 poststers, 20-odd of whom are fanboyish.

Pfft. We're all fanboys to some degree. Some of us just hide it better than others.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Warcry
Pfft. We're all fanboys to some degree. Some of us just hide it better than others.

I'd seriously argue that. In my mind, a fanboy likes something becuase they feel they have to, because someone tells them to, regardless of its quality; a fan likes things they, well, like. Leaving myself wide open, can someone point out an example of something I do currently/recently that's fanboyish?
Hound

Post by Hound »

I'd seriously argue that. In my mind, a fanboy likes something becuase they feel they have to, because someone tells them to, regardless of its quality; a fan likes things they, well, like. Leaving myself wide open, can someone point out an example of something I do currently/recently that's fanboyish?

Having read X-treme X-Men...
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Only the first 4, and the Gambit cover, and the one Brend tricked me into getting. I did sell the lot at a profit. Actually, the first 4 came as part of a job lot of Claremont/Davis Excalibur comics...