Optimus reissue info

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Originally posted by Quicksilver
Enamel paints tend to work best on TFs, although some are too glossy... if you can't find a decent one, Games Workshop paints seem to work better than Humbrol/Revell model kit ones :)
Thanks, I'll have to look into it. I just want a glossy one that will look as close to the original chrome finish as possible.
Just to say I've ordered parts from KCC on several occasions, and they're frankly brilliant :)

EDIT: It's also worth noting the guy does parts there's a fair demand for, so maybe sending him an e-mail about Magnus missiles will mean he might be able to make something
Well, he'd have to cast them differently from the original molds, since the review on BWTF stated that the old missiles don't fit into the new launchers. Still, can't hurt to ask, and I'm sure he'd have one of his better sellers, due to people like me. :)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

For chrome you might want to see if any model shops still stock metalskin, or something similar... basically it's cigarette-paper thin sticky-backed chromy material you cut to size, and stick on what you want... it even brings out relief areas. I haven't seen any in years, however...
Scarrita
Protoform

Post by Scarrita »

Hey Quicksilver, thank you for that site. I can be happy now, with a little bit of work. But that is the fun part.
Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe
something your intellect would otherwise cause
you to reject -- otherwise there's no need for faith.
Lemming
Protoform

Post by Lemming »

I'm starting to find this thread kinda scary.

I would guess that the reason they're so expensive is because they're so limited in number. And maybe because some of them have die cast parts and Hasbro hasn't used those in awhile.

I find it odd that these we new about these alterations long before they came out, but you guys still bought them. It seems fairly simple to me that if you know you're not going to like it, then you shouldn't buy it. But hey, what do I know.

I always thought the market for these things were for the people who: missed the the Takara one for whatever reason, those who actually wanted to see it on the shelf, and the anal retentive completionists.
BigMaki
Protoform

Post by BigMaki »

Originally posted by Lemming
I would guess that the reason they're so expensive is because they're so limited in number. And maybe because some of them have die cast parts and Hasbro hasn't used those in awhile.
And where did you hear that they're limited in number? I'm sure my Toys R Us would beg to differ, with about 20 Ultra Magnuses sitting on the shelf and 15 or so Hot Rods. And die cast parts certainly aren't going to raise the price by at least $10... It's just greed, plain and simple. And they got me once on it. Don't count on it happening again.
I find it odd that these we new about these alterations long before they came out, but you guys still bought them. It seems fairly simple to me that if you know you're not going to like it, then you shouldn't buy it. But hey, what do I know.
Well, considering the fact that if these sell poorly, we won't see any further releases... Of course, it seems like there's very few I want that can be released without alteration, anyway. Can't wait to see how Sunstreaker's shoulder missiles look when they're at least 2" long... :rolleyes: Thank god for import shops and Takara.

I always thought the market for these things were for the people who: missed the the Takara one for whatever reason, those who actually wanted to see it on the shelf, and the anal retentive completionists.
It was. I fit all 3 categories. Too bad they didn't make the toys or packaging for any of them. I hope to take the first choice off of my list soon. :)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Just a thought on the parts - I would expect that if you had the technology to cast it etc., it wouldn't be too difficult to graft the front of an '86 Magnus missile onto the peg of a reissue one, then reproduce it... :)

I would argue that Hasbro's high price for the reissues is because they aren't expecting enourmous sales, at least not as big as for RiD - these things won't be selling to many kids, and people [I don't think anyone in this thread has done it, so don't leap down my throat and say "1 n3v3r s@1d t#@t d00d!" ;)] are kidding themselves if they think The Kids are going to drop their RiD poseable figures in the favour of these things [for a start, aside from maybe Optimus, the first wave of reissues aren't even especially good figures by pre-BW standards...]... but that said, Hasbro can't just assume this and make them for higher age groups... I think the reason that they're TRU exclusives is because they're generally the only ones willing to regularly give shelf-space to larger Transformers - I think it was Brend who said that this was why they got Scourge - while Ultra Magnus and Optimus were surefire hits [Autobots, new moulds etc.], most toys of that size are steered clear of by retailers after the BM disasters such as Nightscream and Supreme Cheetor... So it's worth considering that if they weren't TRU exclusives, you might not have them at all... If Hasbro had made them for collector's stores, it might have pushed prices even higher...
Setz27
Protoform

Post by Setz27 »

I recieved an email from Amazon.com (toysrus.com) today about my request to be notified when the Optimus Prime re-issue would be available.

"We've recently learned from our supplier that the item you requested to be notified about, Transformers Optimus Prime Generation 1, will not be available in the foreseeable future."

Has anyone heard about what is going on with this? Are they just delaying the release of Optimus?

Setz27
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

As I suggested in another thread, it could just be that Amazon won't have it avaliable in the foreseeable future. Or they could be fixing all the Optimus'. I thought Optimus was out... of he's not, how does anyone know they're lying on their site? Anyone who says "Convention Examples" or something like that will be summarily shot.
Lemming
Protoform

Post by Lemming »

And where did you hear that they're limited in number? I'm sure my Toys R Us would beg to differ, with about 20 Ultra Magnuses sitting on the shelf and 15 or so Hot Rods. And die cast parts certainly aren't going to raise the price by at least $10... It's just greed, plain and simple. And they got me once on it. Don't count on it happening again.

I heard on transfandom message board there were going to be about 30,000 of Hot Rods, and Ultra Magnus'es. And a few more primes, but I can't remember the exact amount. From a different thread at the same site there were going to be about 75,000 scrouges to make a comparison in number.
Certainly don't take this as gosbel or anything, but Hasbro really doesn't know how well they'll sell they're not going to produce these guys as much as RID.

It's unfortunite that they're shelf warmers in your area. My area finally got Hot Rod monday. They were sold out by 3:00 in all three TRU's I went too. Too bad TRU doesn't hold them back a little more so certain stores don't run out, while others have them sitting around.
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Originally posted by Setz27
I recieved an email from Amazon.com (toysrus.com) today about my request to be notified when the Optimus Prime re-issue would be available.

"We've recently learned from our supplier that the item you requested to be notified about, Transformers Optimus Prime Generation 1, will not be available in the foreseeable future."

Has anyone heard about what is going on with this? Are they just delaying the release of Optimus?

Setz27
Perhaps you should have pre-ordered instead of just being on stand-by. Incidentally I pre-ordered Ops and cancelled him last night. I already have the Takara reissue and decided to save money. I'll just be getting the Hot Rod out of the set as I don't have him.
Setz27
Protoform

Post by Setz27 »

I didn't pre-order because I've been pretty successful at finding the re-issues at the stores. Besides, who wants to spend an extra $6.50 shipping if they don't have to. I couldn't find scourge anywhere for a month, so I said what the hell and ordered one from Amazon, of course the next week I found 5 of them. Don't feel like seeing that happen again.

Besides, there are plenty of G1s out there that are in need of not much more than a paint job.

Setz27
Setz27
Protoform

Post by Setz27 »

I found one of the Optimus Primes today (oh well, short stacks). I was wondering if anyone else had. I tried to use the roller launcher, but it wasn't spring loaded, it just sat there. I have never owned another Optimus before (cousins did, but not me), but I was sure it was spring loaded. Could those of you better educated in TF lore please let me know if I just bought a dud.

Setz27
Scarrita
Protoform

Post by Scarrita »

Originally posted by Setz27
... please let me know if I just bought a dud.
Nope, not a dud. Hasbro made it "safer". I guess they were afraid that someone would get shot in the eye by roller.
Go figure.
Starchase
Protoform

Post by Starchase »

Originally posted by Scarrita

Nope, not a dud. Hasbro made it "safer". I guess they were afraid that someone would get shot in the eye by roller.
Go figure.
How could you get hit in the eye with roller? The missles maybe, but roller. I just got Optimus at the same place setz got his and my roller doesn't launch either. The chances of a kid getting hurt with it anyway is totally unlikely since his with all the cheaper RID toys.
Is insanity an option or does it come standard?
Ultimate Weapon

Post by Ultimate Weapon »

Sounds to me like Hasbro has launched a real lemon in our face. :rolleyes:
Scarrita
Protoform

Post by Scarrita »

Originally posted by Starchase

How could you get hit in the eye with roller? The missles maybe, but roller. I just got Optimus at the same place setz got his and my roller doesn't launch either. The chances of a kid getting hurt with it anyway is totally unlikely since his with all the cheaper RID toys.
My sentiments exactly, but someone thought that a lawsuit was lying around there somewhere, so they took care of all possibilities.
[EricCartman] Yeah, it sucks [/EricCartman]
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Well, slightly knackered Optimus trailers are about $3 a time on ebay... why not buy one and switch the launcher assembly? It'd take about 3 minutes and a phillips screwdriver...
Setz27
Protoform

Post by Setz27 »

Well, slightly knackered Optimus trailers are about $3 a time on ebay... why not buy one and switch the launcher assembly? It'd take about 3 minutes and a phillips screwdriver...

I thought about just running to the hardware store and grabbing a spring to put in there. If I can find auctions with some Optimus accessories (fists, trailer, maybe stacks) I may change around a couple things, I really don't like the fists at all.
My sentiments exactly, but someone thought that a lawsuit was lying around there somewhere, so they took care of all possibilities.

Guess young kids nowadays aren't smart enough not to shoot themselves or others in the eyes. I blame boybands and Britney Spears. (Ok, so its really the lawsuits, but I enjoy blaming societies problems on boybands and Britney Spears).

Setz27
PengTheAlmighty
Protoform

Post by PengTheAlmighty »

I agree. . .Boybands AND Brittany Spears ARE the root of all the problems in modern society.