OFFICIAL TRANSFORMERS TOYS NEWS

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

I have a feeling that Leader Megs' fusion cannon is clipped on the wrong way round. That would improve the look somewhat. Overall though, pass. Too ugly for my taste. Points for working tank treads, though.
Wreck and Rule!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Knightdramon wrote:I sincerely hope he keeps that glorious silver, but I'm not holding me breath [for the most recent example, see Generations Crosscut].
Do they normally bother airbrushing the in-packaging shots?

http://i.imgur.com/PnT9BWH.jpg
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

I was torn between the G1 and Armada Megs but when I found out Armada Megs won't have his cool knife thing I thought I'd get G1 style instead.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Knightdramon wrote:
MTMTE has been stated to be out of combiner wars overall. Since Combiner Wars start around issue 39 or so, and that's the beginning or middle of a DJD saga in MTMTE, there's no way they'd hop around for that.
MTMTE ISSUE 40 EXCLUSIVE EXTRACT:

Hot Spot: Oh no! Even though I and my Protectobots have used the new spark of combination gubbins to fight the DJD in the form of Defensor, my leg is now giving me jip! Who shall now save us!

Megatron: Don't worry, my new body also gifted to my by the spark of combination (which luckily zapped us from a distance when if was found in the main Combiner Wars comic without us needing to do a proper crossover) just happens to be a combiner as well. Protectobots form on me!

DEFENSORTRON: TAKE THAT TARN! IT MAY HAVE TURNED OUT YOU WEREN'T ACTUALLY ROLLER, BUT I'M ROLLERING ON YOU NOW!

If the comics are being used to promote these toys, and Megatron is getting not one but two big expensive toys in the line (albeit reworkings of the same mould), at least one of them will be in MTMTE. Best case scenario is he just starts looking like one of them (and after Armada Starscream it might not be the obvious one), alongside the Protectobots being both prominent and in their new toy forms as well, without any mention of combination.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Clay

Post by Clay »

Unicron wrote:That's news to me. Still, I don't think that's quite enough to draw my interest. Probably need to wait for some in-hand or at least non-stock pictures (something like in a display case at a con).
Haven't actually seen the working treads confirmed anywhere; it's just something that I noticed in the picture. The tank uses four tracks instead of two, and none of them are broken up for the robot mode (indeed, the robot wears two sets as a backpack to accommodate them). Therefore, working treads.
Since it hasn't been brought up in the thread yet, there were recent-ish reports of some other things for the Combiner Wars line:
Leader-class Ultra Magnus (listing spotted in some store's computer system)
Various Protectobots (also seen in a store's computer system)
Titan-class Devastator (I think this was just 'rumor' from someone who's given good info the past. Supposed to be something like a giftset of 6 Constructicons, basically being the Metroplex for this year: big ass item for the line.)
Yeah, the Protectobots can be reworked just from what's been shown so far: Streetwise as one of the Stunticon cars with a lightbar, First Aid from Off Road, and Blades from the helicopter Aerialbot. They could even cheat and have Groove be a car too and reuse another Stunticon. That'd really just leave Hotspot, who could be another version of the Prime / Motormaster mold.

As far as Devastator goes, could be neat. From what I understand, Titan class is more about price point than height, so I'd expect a Devastator to be shorter and much heavier than Metroplex.

EDIT: After looking at pictures of Offroad again, that may not work for First Aid after all. But the gist is the same.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Clay wrote:Yeah, the Protectobots can be reworked just from what's been shown so far: Streetwise as one of the Stunticon cars with a lightbar, First Aid from Off Road, and Blades from the helicopter Aerialbot. They could even cheat and have Groove be a car too and reuse another Stunticon. That'd really just leave Hotspot, who could be another version of the Prime / Motormaster mold.
I think they'd leave Groove as a motorcycle they can retool into Afterburner. I certainly hope that 4 out 5 Protectobots aren't just Stunticon retools. Some mold reuse is understandable, but they'd need to mix it up a little. If a team's going be made entirely out of reused molds, those molds should come from a variety of teams. If they want to recycle an entire team, maybe redo the Stunticons as Autobots, like in Masquerade.

The Stunticon and Arialbot they've replaced were the same ones left out of the Kre-O combiner sets. I wonder if that's a coincidence, or if they plan to revamp one member of each team. I know 4 member Kre-O teams were required by the combiner design; I just wonder how much thought they put into who gets left out.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

inflatable dalek wrote:If the comics are being used to promote these toys, and Megatron is getting not one but two big expensive toys in the line (albeit reworkings of the same mould), at least one of them will be in MTMTE. Best case scenario is he just starts looking like one of them (and after Armada Starscream it might not be the obvious one), alongside the Protectobots being both prominent and in their new toy forms as well, without any mention of combination.
They don't necessarily have to work in the Combiner Wars McGuffin for the Protectobots to happen. Scientists, engineers, and medics on the ship, Megatron and his experience with combiners (was after them for a long time, even had a body intended to be part of Devastator at one point, so it stands to reason he has a fair bit of knowledge on the subject), nothing says Defensor can't be a development independent from the CW goings-on.

I could see Defensor being developed, and Megatron upgraded into one of the new toy bodies, in preparation for the inevitable DJD confrontation. Maybe more likely for a second run in, after a first one that goes poorly for the Lost Light.
Clay wrote:Yeah, the Protectobots can be reworked just from what's been shown so far: Streetwise as one of the Stunticon cars with a lightbar, First Aid from Off Road, and Blades from the helicopter Aerialbot. They could even cheat and have Groove be a car too and reuse another Stunticon. That'd really just leave Hotspot, who could be another version of the Prime / Motormaster mold.

As far as Devastator goes, could be neat. From what I understand, Titan class is more about price point than height, so I'd expect a Devastator to be shorter and much heavier than Metroplex.
As I recall, the Protectobot listings included several of the normal names, plus a new one: Rook. I forget if that was in place of or in addition to the normal 5.

And yeah, that's pretty much the standard thinking for how the Protectobot toys will go: bunch of remolds from the first two waves, possibly with a new mold or two mixed in. Though I'm still expecting Hotspot to share a base mold with Onslaught. Switch the head and swap the ladder for an artillery piece and you're pretty much there. Seems like a better option that Prime/Motormaster mold v3.
Could probably get First Aid and Swindle out of one, if they switch Swindle to a more APC-like alt mode instead of a jeep.

That's pretty much what I meant about Devastator. Not necessarily the size of Metroplex, but filling his role as big ticket item for the line this year. I recall people theorizing that a set of 6 Voyagers (or around that size) would fit the likely price point. The only question is do we get an optional Prowl-head to use with it...
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Clay wrote:EDIT: After looking at pictures of Offroad again, that may not work for First Aid after all. But the gist is the same.
The robot mode is pretty close IMO. The alt-mode being a pickup truck makes it a bit more interesting, though. I suppose they could remold him into a rescue SUV, but the extra mass would make the legs pretty clunky.
Tantrum wrote:If they want to recycle an entire team, maybe redo the Stunticons as Autobots, like in Masquerade.
That's actually in the offing too according to some of the rumours flying around.
Unicron wrote:As I recall, the Protectobot listings included several of the normal names, plus a new one: Rook. I forget if that was in place of or in addition to the normal 5.
I think that Blades, Streetwise, First Aid and Rook were listed as Deluxes, with Groove as the Legends figure to compliment the group. So he's still slated to be a part of Defensor, just not a limb the way he was in G1. Looking at the CW Legends so far, I guess he'll either be the gestalt's chestplate or gun.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

My one wish out of all this toy excitement is that the comic book character models are left alone. It takes me out of the experience of reading the comics to see characters turn up wearing an entirely new body just because Hasbro are super keen for the 10,000 comic book readers to buy their toys...which would likely happen anyway, with or without the cross-promotion. Sigh.

Megatron looks alright from that pic above, a bit like his current comic book design. Looks better than that Optimus toy I've seen in the shops which looks far too bulky.

I wonder if Groove will be like Blackjack and form armour for Defensor...? Or a weapon like those Human Alliance Basics.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

This Megatron is based on the body he wears in RID from issues 14--end of Dark Cybertron, With some cues from the MTMTE body [big riffle splits in two handguns, fusion cannon appears detachable, is rumoured to have a switching autobot symbol].
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Had a look at some picks of Megs in alt mode and robot mode over at TFW 2005 and he looks pretty decent, all told. The Armada version somehow manages to be poorer than , well the original Armada toy... nice to see some newer lines recognised in the Generations line...although 2002 doesn't seem so far away to me.

Menasor looks pretty poor as a gestalt though. Its down to Motormaster, sadly. The truck mode is good, but the robot is just too bulky and weird looking and has a tiny tiny head in a box (I'd have just jettisoned this and risked fanboy ire myself as it looks crappy) in robot mode and Menasor himself also has a disproportionately small head and the limbs look really bulky and overshadow the torso altogether. The rest of the Stunticons look neat though and I am quite excited about them.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

https://www.facebook.com/transformers/p ... =1&fref=nf

The comments thread is full of 3P photos and geewunners. I swear this fandom needs ****ing culling.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Denyer wrote:
The comments thread is full of 3P photos and geewunners. I swear this fandom needs ****ing culling.
Fully agree. The fandom has grown a tad too large for what it actually is.

I'd very easily take half these a$$holes and trap them in 2004-2006 where the very best G1-ish we had were the G1 reissues and the occasional homage in Energon and Cybertron.

A Megatron like this, 10 years ago, would make their brains POP from excitement.

We are spoiled for choice, I guess. Trust me when I say that no other fandom has seen such a growth in the past 7 years.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

By the way, it's confirmed by hasbro that we will be able to display him as an Autobot as well.

I hope it's not a sticker and there's some sort of moving panel somewhere.
Denyer

Japanese / Asian market exclusives: Masterpiece, Generations, etc

Post by Denyer »

MP21G -- Goldbug G2 repaint of Bumblebee. Like this more than the yellow, personally.

http://i.imgur.com/tb9wNOs.jpg
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Is that a rocket pack and the g2 Autobot symbol?

And I agree, this does look better than the plain yellow
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Looks like a yes on both counts. The backpack would be a plus as I'd probably re-purpose it for Sideswipe...

Do still really like the Artfeather Goldbug though.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Denyer wrote:Looks like a yes on both counts. The backpack would be a plus as I'd probably re-purpose it for Sideswipe...
That assumes it's got the appropriate design to attach to him (that or the obligatory 3rd party adaptor becomes available). Seems like Takara would design it so it would though. I also guess this is their solution to the potential too many exo-suit problem from various repaints.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Denyer wrote:MP21G -- Goldbug repaint of Bumblebee. Like this more than the yellow, personally.
Nah, it's G2 Bumblebee. Goldbug has a much different head, it's blue and has a totally different shape. And he was in the cartoon, so they definitely would have done the remolding if it was meant to be Goldbug.

Definitely an improvement over the bland orangish original release, though. It's amazing the difference a new coat of paint can make. Not entirely sure I like it enough to actually buy it, but I'm not scoffing at the idea like I did with the original.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

In other news, Takara is doing another release of MP-10. Due out in/around May. Pre-orders are going up at all the usual places.