That huge San Diego Comic-Con 2008 coverage thread [IDW comics, toy line news, etc.]

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Crowd cheering about first issue of AHM
Alex Milne kicks ass
A few days away from the place and the whole world goes to pot.

I'm also not sure how Frenzy (blue or otherwise) counts as a new character when he was in Origin. Part of the attempt to do some revisionist USSR style wiping of it from history, a sign Shane hasn't done his homework or both? Still, the "I thought he was red" bit at least confirms he doesn't know anything other than the cartoon.

Good to see GI Joe is considered worthy of a sensibly numbered ongoing comic as well.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Newsarama comics coverage:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/080725- ... rmers.html

Will comment when I've had chance to read through...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Okay, stuff noticed so far...

- Spotlight: Blurr (already announced, set around the start of the Great War, with two extremely talented fans making their debut on the art and colouring)
- Spotlight: Cosmos (Chris Mowry and another fan debut, Andrew Griffith -- AWESOME)
- Shane McCarthy is debuting a character called Drift in All Hail Megatron. Looks rather like the character design for Getaway in my opinion.
- Prequel miniseries to the 2nd TF film, called 'Destiny'.
- The Thirteen as a miniseries introducing backstory of TFs in IDW continuity and, worryingly, Hasbro are taking a close interest for using it in a wider context. If this gets into a load of alt-universe bollocks, I'll be steering well clear.
- All-new Joes title with a #0 issue before the end of the year. October, IIRC.

Looking forward to those Spotlights in particular.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=17412

More on everything comics-y.

- Furman will be doing the TF2 adaptation.
- The Thirteen is worrying me even more as a concept...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Denyer wrote:- The Thirteen is worrying me even more as a concept...
Never a good sign when the word "definitive" starts getting thrown around...
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Terome

Post by Terome »

Wow. Sounds like 'The Thirteen' will be proving the theories of Tramp right once and for all. Is he using The Secret or something?
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I'm scared at just how broke I'll be in the future. Those Universe figures are just ****ing awesome, specifically Hound, Cyclonus and Cheetor. THe Universe Legends don't look half bad either.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Terome wrote:Wow. Sounds like 'The Thirteen' will be proving the theories of Tramp right once and for all. Is he using The Secret or something?
What? No one is using me.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Transformer Kamen

Post by Transformer Kamen »

Panel report (+images) from tformers.com

So far I'm liking the look of the Shockwave, Swindel and Blurr figures. Not quite sure what Blurr's weapons is supposed to be. An energy chainsaw maybe?
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

The red chopper Blades actually looks terrific. The red brings out that particular figure better than evac's paint scheme. The only downside is the cyber planet key, but that can easily be taken care of by any person not wanting it. Iron Hide even looks pretty good for that small of a size. Wish I had the money or time to have gone there to see stuff like this in person....
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
Clay

Post by Clay »

Will get Cheetor, since he actually turns into a cheetah and not a yellow-and-polka-dotted panther.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

Clay wrote:Will get Cheetor, since he actually turns into a cheetah and not a yellow-and-polka-dotted panther.
WTF OMFG! You're right. I wish I had paid a bit more attention now to Nevermore's link. I am liking all I see of the Classics 2.0... Cosmos!? My favorite lil spaceship lol. I am loving that Inferno especially, can't wait to see how they do Grapple now, if he comes out. And that Cyclonus... Drool worthy, drool worthy indeed!

-Space Marines
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Inferno, eh? Didn't know that one was coming. I like the look of him, though. His blocky design has a kinda Powermaster Prime vibe to it, and although his vehicle mode doesn't do much for me it fits in a lot better with the rest of the Autobot cars than a full-blown fire engine would, scale-wise. I suspect we'll get a Hot Spot repaint out of him, too.

Hound...his runty arms and absurdly huge feet hearken back to the original and his knees seem to be a quarter inch below his hips. I was actually hoping for something a tad closer to the Alternator robot mode and colour scheme. Ravage doesn't look like much of an improvement over the original, except that the hips seem to offer some lateral movement and that'll probably make him a lot steadier on his feet. Overall...m'eh, I could take it or leave it.

Cyclonus looks world-rockingly awesome...in robot mode. His vehicle mode looks cluttered and a bit blocky, with the same general shape as his original jet form but none of the sleek, needle-sharp simplicity that made it so special. It's recognizably Cyclonus, though, and I suspect it'll look a lot better without Nightstick randomly stuck onto it. In robot mode he looks a lot like his original character model, slim and sleek but powerful and imposing all the same. The head sculpt is bang-on, too. One annoying thing that jumps out at me, though, is that they molded his left hand into a solid fist. I guess Cyc is right-handed? Still, utterly badass.

Cheetor doesn't impress. The original is one of my favourite toys and IMO one of the best figures in the whole Beast Wars line, but it had a few flaws. They obviously designed this toy with an eye to fixing the two biggest problems with the original, it's lack of beast-mode articulation and the fact that his beast mode head just sort of...hung off of his chest in robot mode. Fair enough. They did definitely improve on those two points, but they also made him look worse than the original in both modes so that's hardly an improvement.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

I am thinking with Cheetor that he isn't transformed properly. In BW, his chest seemed to "cave in" or slide into the chest cavity a bit. I'll have to see the toy in person to make my final decision if I want him. Those minispies look great, even if they are mini bricks, they still have great face molds and scale isn't an issue like it was with Classics 1.0. Happy day indeed :P and yes, I can see a Hot Spot with a slight retool of the face.

-Space Marines
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Right now I'm not liking Hasbro very much. Not because they don't have good things I want to buy, it's because there's TOO MUCH that looks cool and I have no money. Hound, Inferno, Cosmos, Ironhide. Crap... I'm gonna be poor...
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

ganon578 wrote:Right now I'm not liking Hasbro very much. Not because they don't have good things I want to buy, it's because there's TOO MUCH that looks cool and I have no money. Hound, Inferno, Cosmos, Ironhide. Crap... I'm gonna be poor...
I know the feeling. It all looks so delicious that my toy tooth is hurting because I can't afford much. Darn being a poor college student lol.

-Space Marines
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Hound looks aight. More excited about Ravage from that pack. Kinda odd that they paired them up like that, but ok.

Cyclonus came out even better than I hoped for. I'll definitely be getting him.

Inferno. Niiiiiice. I've been hoping they'd put him out so that they'd have no excuse not to put out a Hot Spot figure.

Brawn, Beachcomber and Cosmos look to be promising, but I hope they can eventually release the deluxe Cosmos (that we saw drawings of) last year.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Most insanely awesome Bumblebee costume I've ever seen:
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... 08-165466/

(worn by this guy)