Man threatened with arrest at Heathrow for wearing Transformers T-shirt

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

i actually like the idea of a closer europe
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

electro girl wrote:i actually like the idea of a closer europe
And what's so great about Continental Europe's track-record that you want to follow it? :P
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

TFVanguard wrote:And what's so great about Continental Europe's track-record that you want to follow it? :P
well... you know... all the closeness and that.

oh! and coffee
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

electro girl wrote:well... you know... all the closeness and that.

oh! and coffee
Unless the coffee is cold and with chocolate, I prefer tea anyway.

Seriously, I just bought a $40 tea maker and ordered two restaurant boxes of China Mist Passion Fruit.

burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

This little bit of news made it as a joke on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.
Sonray

Post by Sonray »

This is the world that we live in today im afraid. Social de-evolution has done a lot of damage to modern society, and people are getting dumber and dumber each day. Its not just england...even though this place is full of imbeciles, its the whole world. We're all f*cked.
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

I don't think that's it. I think people have gotten so afraid to offend, or be 'judgemental', or even stand up for themselves that the bullshit is winning. It's not that people are stupid now.. it's that they're spineless.
Sonray

Post by Sonray »

No, trust me, they are stupid. Stupid and spineless. I see the stupid stuff all the time...especially where i live. People would rather cross a busy duel carriage way with big signs saying "WARNING FATAL ACCIDENT SITE" instead of walking up a few steps to use the foot bridge provided instead.

The amount of stupid people in the world worries me.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Sonray wrote:The amount of stupid people in the world worries me.
Yup. I'm now very concerned that, come the Glorious Day, even both sides of the Great Wall won't prove adequate.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincent
Protoform

Post by Vincent »

General analysis: mate told him he'd make a few quid phoning it in when the story was relayed later, tart it up with a bit of outrage and you have the standard cookie-cutter broadloid "Society has officially gone to shit" quasi-outrage.
It's worth noting that I read this story on another site where an actual threat of arrest was made. I don't know which is true, though.
aircooled
Protoform

Post by aircooled »

How civilized do we have to be, to be a civilization ?. Rule or be ruled, freedom only for the people with power and money, this seems to be yet another PRIME example:D
aircooled
dotCommunism
Protoform

Post by dotCommunism »

There's a lot of ridiculous posturing about society in this thread considering all that happened was a guy was asked to change his shirt and he did.
Sonray

Post by Sonray »

dotCommunism wrote:There's a lot of ridiculous posturing about society in this thread considering all that happened was a guy was asked to change his shirt and he did.
Thats EXACTLY why its so outrageous. Theres something called "civil rights" and "freedom of speech". Those two things were obviously taken away from this man and its wrong. Plain and simple.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

IIRC, we don't have freedom of speech, and I'm pretty sure I live in the same UK as you. And we also don't have the civil rights to wear whatever t-shirt we want. He was asked to remove a t-shirt, and he did so. There's very little solid on what would have happened if he hadn't. This whole thing is a complete storm in a teacup. Outrage is a massive over-reaction.
Sonray

Post by Sonray »

Right so if someone walked up to you and said "remove your shirt because it has a cartoon character on it and we just want to take away your right to wear whatever you want" you would do so?

Pathetic. Its attitudes like that which is why the human race is in the current situation its in. Too many stupid people not standing up for their human rights.

Your living in a really weird world if you think we dont have the right to freedom of speech in this country and arent entitled to stand up for it when its taken away from us.

The fact is these people have NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER to tell people what they can and cant wear or say! Sure if it was a shirt with osama bin laden on it saying "bomb the americans!" then yeah id see there would be a problem, but it was just optimus prime FFS!

Outrage is a perfectly justified reaction to this. Like i said lets see how youd react if the same BS happened to you.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Sonray wrote:Right so if someone walked up to you and said "remove your shirt because it has a cartoon character on it and we just want to take away your right to wear whatever you want" you would do so?
No. But if I was boarding a commercial plane (with the right to refuse entry) and they asked me to change it, I'd probably comply if asked politely. There's a difference between standing up for your human rights and being an intransigent, over-reacting bastard. And as a segue (which is what your entire post seems to be) there are restrictions on the clothing you can legally wear in this country - you can't wear a t-shirt which breaches obscenity laws, for example. Less spectacularly, lots of places have dress codes and/or uniforms. Your comparison is invalid because that's not actually what happened.
Too many stupid people not standing up for their human rights.
You're comparing wearing a TF t-shirt to human rights? The original article is faintly ridiculous. Your arguments are outright laughable.
Your living in a really weird world if you think we dont have the right to freedom of speech in this country and arent entitled to stand up for it when its taken away from us.
Legally, we don't (this is why people are always trying to get hate prophets deported). Whether we should or not is neither here nor there.
The fact is these people have NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER to tell people what they can and cant wear or say! Sure if it was a shirt with osama bin laden on it saying "bomb the americans!" then yeah id see there would be a problem, but it was just optimus prime FFS!
Whoops, contradiction. People have no right whatsoever to tell people what they can and can't wear (they do in certain circumstances, but never mind), AS LONG AS THEY DON'T WEAR THIS!!!!!!!! Heh.
Outrage is a perfectly justified reaction to this.
No it's not. Guy is asked to change t-shirt, by the sounds of it in a friendly and polite manner. Guy complies, by the sounds of it in good humour. Various jumped-up self-styled politicos start ranting about free speech (because t-shirts are a recognised form of speech, of course) and making up bullshit hypothetical extrapolations like 'f someone walked up to you and said "remove your shirt because it has a cartoon character on it and we just want to take away your right to wear whatever you want" you would do so?', and fail Godwin's Law.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

And by reading Cliffy's reply recently I have to agree (even if it is a hell-freezing-over moment) because I read an article also that the airline company had rules regarding obscene messages AND bombs or the like being portrayed. The man obviously didn't read the fine print when buying the tickets, or was too damned stupid to ask questions on what is considered appropriate, and comfortable attire for all. It is sad that his "civil rights" as claimed by Sonray, were violated, but Civil Rights refers to skin color, religious creed, etc. and not how you dress. I hear the same argument on fines given for kids and adults wearing jeans that hang below their asses,and thusly fines are given out on the basis of some form of disorderly conduct. Lesson learned from this: always ask the Airline what is considered proper attire, stow away the T.F. shirt or anything else, and just try not to draw undue attention to oneself.....
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

i agree completely with cliffy.

if i was asked to take off my OP shirt, id think it was a bit stupid but id comply and be on my way with no fuss cos at the end of the day its the people who go on a rant that show themselves up.
Mospeada

Post by Mospeada »

martyboy70 wrote:Im more outraged at the fact he thinks its Megatron on his shirt as opposed to OP.
Ha that's exactly what I was thinking. :D
snavej

Post by snavej »

How about a T-shirt that says: 'Don't mess with me or Optimus Prime will come round your house and 'accidentally' crush your garden fountain!'?!