Spotlight Sideswipe (Revelations #4) Info Thread | UPDATED: 5-page Preview

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Denyer wrote:It's not. There are another eight issues in sequence to come before the All Hail Megatron storyline.
pardon my ignorance, but eight issues in the "revelations" saga?
Come on and wind me up.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

another tf fan wrote:pardon my ignorance, but eight issues in the "revelations" saga?
Correction, four issues.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

I'm really digging Sideswipe's robot mode. It just fits him being an ex-gladiator and all from Megatron: Origin. Now I wish my Binaltech Sideswipe's head mold in particular looked that good! I am also enjoying the art style used, and I am also in agreement with Photoshop's downfalls (besides it being pricey too, along with all of Adobe's software creations) because I used to use it at 6.0 and found after a lot of practice that it was good for my needs and such, but some of the tools were just not to my liking. This will be a spotlight book series I will definitely pick up for sure.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

another tf fan wrote:pardon my ignorance, but eight issues in the "revelations" saga?
Nah, after that...

Infiltration [#0-6]
Stormbringer [#7-10]
Escalation [#11-16]
Devastation [#17-22]
Revelations [#23-26]
Maximum Dinobots [#27-31]
To be announced [#32-34]
All Hail Megatron [#35-46]
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Strange though, Spotlight: Cyclonus wasn't numbered this way (unless that's just how my copy turned out. I have the Roche variant cover). So far, it seems Revelation is following the Spotlight's numbering system (or lack of) . Is there an 'official' numbering system that says Revelation fits in this order chronologically? I honestly don't know.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Though, unless I'm being particularly thick, Revs 1 isn't actually labelled as #23. Well, I couldn't see it anywhere whilst thumbing in FP... I'll probably spot it straight away once my actual copy arrives.

Back on topic... that is gorgeous. Perhaps too gorgeous, though. Call me picky, but I like a story to have a consistent art style throughout. Not that there's anything wrong with Drivaar's colours (they're stunning), but a change that jarring can just wrench me out of the actual story.

Not so much a problem with individual issues, but it might be for reading the trade.

[EDIT] Ziggy beats me to the punch again!

I looked at both covers in the shop to make sure I wasn't going crazy. Couldn't see it on either.

Ryall says here that it'll be part of the system:
http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopi ... c&start=15

Him lied...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Of course, if they simply bothered putting a cumulative number on the cover somewhere...
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

To be honest, if their going to start jumping ahead in the numbering system they probably are better off not having it on the covers anyway, it'll be even more confusing for people who don't keep tabs on these things on the internet ("I've missed 8 issues, eh?").
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

where in megatron origins is sideswipe a gladiator?
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

electro girl wrote:where in megatron origins is sideswipe a gladiator?
He's not. Unless your thinking of Sunstreaker (and even that isn't covered in detail in Megatron: Origin, only mentioned).
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

inflatable dalek wrote:To be honest, if their going to start jumping ahead in the numbering system they probably are better off not having it on the covers anyway, it'll be even more confusing for people who don't keep tabs on these things on the internet ("I've missed 8 issues, eh?").
Though, of course, once they start not having it on the covers it technically stops existing. Sure, it's there for their internal production uses, but as far as the viewing public are concerned, Revelation is now as much part of the ongoing as the previous Spotlights are...

Okay, they can whack #24 on Hardhead, but that's still going to change the fact that they never published anything labelled as #23.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

To be honest, if they just published their comics in a linear fashion (not the same thing as an ongoing series, so please not the usual stuff about retailers)
the whole thing would be a lot simpler and probably wouldn't confuse the piss out of a fair number of customers... I'm guessing most of the sales are made to people who aren't ardent readers of IDW's boards and/or Furman's blog, and thus can't keep track of the fairly insane way these stories are published and/or slotted into the overall story. The AHM thing is a ridiculous thing to concurrently release, considering the lack of a clear "Regular Transformers" title for it to act as a flip-side to.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

zigzagger wrote:I honestly don't know.
Ditto. Will regroup and update info / ask someone once I've got scans or my paper copy in hand... or possibly copy of the second issue in hand...
Cliffjumper wrote:The AHM thing is a ridiculous thing to concurrently release, considering the lack of a clear "Regular Transformers" title
AHM is the "regular TF" title aimed at getting people onboard... start of a second phase, with Revelations tying up the threads from the Spotlights and Devastation. The Dinobots mini will probably tie up the Headmasters thread unless McCarthy has kept any of that for his own riffing on.

Revelations has my interest more than any of the other slate of announced books... I'm a bit skeptical about what Furman plans to do for five issues with Dinobots, as fight books aren't really my sort of thing.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Might've been a better plan to just have the new, regular TF book (I must confess, I've paid little attention to AHM, and still thought it was the "OMFG DECEPTERCONS RULEZ!" thing) start when the other stuff was finished, then.
TBH, if they'd just got on with it a little bit for the plodding early parts...

I'm a little confused/curious about the long-term plans - so after Extreme Dinobots, these here four Spotlights that may or may not be Spotlights and the TBA three-parter, is that it for the Furmanverse? Is AHM taking over from him, or is it just to rake in some sales/provide a book someone without the entire run can actually understand/give him a break? Is AHM the Miracleman Triumphant in the equation? Or is it all going to depend on how well AHM shifts compared to Furmanverse stuff? Or are we on to desperate measures so there's some sort of Transformers comic still coming in a year or so's time?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Denyer wrote: AHM is the "regular TF" title aimed at getting people onboard...

Though I'm not sure how people just looking at these things on a comic shop shelf are supposed to be able to this is any more a new start than any of the Furman stuff that will be out at the same time. On the plus side, it looks as if reaction to the first Revalation issue has been positive so far (I've not seen it yet due to comicbookguy giving me two issues of Wheelie instead), so hopefully suddenly not been guaranteed of being the main writer has given him a much needed kick up the arse.

I'm a little confused/curious about the long-term plans
I would bet their playing it by ear at the moment, if AHM bombs hugely then Furman returns triumphant, if it succeeds they have a new non Furman dependant future.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

From the previews of covers, I can see how somebody not "in teh know" wouldn't immediately twig AHM as the main book. Story title seems to take precedence over the TF brand, from what I recall. Presents itself as (transformers) ALL HAIL MEGATRON, rather than Transformers: All Hail Megatron. If you get my drift.
Cliffjumper wrote:is that it for the Furmanverse?
He's certainly been talking as if he's still in it for the long haul. Plans for 2009 (and beyond). Wouldn't surprise me if he wrote The Thirteen. Seems intent on lacing plot threads for the future at any rate, if the close of Spotlight Wheelie is anything to go by.

I'd expect we'll get a year of AHM running concurrently with assorted Furman thangs, and if one bombs we can just fold back into the other. Or if they're both a roaring success we're no longer dependent on just the one competent writer.

Wouldn't mind seeing more Stuart Moore, to be honest. Or Nick Roche, which isn't outside the realms of possibility... supposedly he has a Thirteen-lead-in Spotlight in the works. If that goes down well... wahey.
Hennessy
Protoform

Spotlight: Sideswipe 5-page preview

Post by Hennessy »

Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Going out on a high. Bit of a shame #3 was Khanna really, On anything but Revelation his work wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb... the series has had some real highlights in the art department.
Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious »

Wow, this is great! Artistically speaking of course. All the more incentive to go and buy the Universe/Classics Sideswipe when it comes out.
~
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Of all places to find such a thing, but is that a misplaced speech bubble on the bottom of the second page (Hound saying Grindcore's part)?

Otherwise, lovely. As expected. The colouring definitely reminds of those old Ladybird (etc) books.