Spotlight Sideswipe (Revelations #4) Info Thread | UPDATED: 5-page Preview

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Halfshell

Spotlight Sideswipe (Revelations #4) Info Thread | UPDATED: 5-page Preview

Post by Halfshell »

That's not just teasers, that's flat out cast spoilers which imply certain events in the previous issues.

http://simonfurman.wordpress.com/2008/0 ... t-wrap-18/

edit:

Five page preview with text --

http://ryalltime.blogspot.com/2008/09/s ... iping.html
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Sideswipe, trying hard not to get squeezed out of his own Spotlight!
Though I am sure Sideswipe will, somehow, be providing the narrative, this really does not sound like a Spotlight. I mean, there is so much going on here that doesn't seem to directly affect Sideswipe (well, as far as we know at the moment), but maybe these kinks will be worked out by the time we get to this point (it being the fourth issue). Sounds exciting though.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

So long as the Spotlight format for the series provides us with at least one plot thread being self-contained, I'll be happy. It'll make a nice change after the "one scene from five different plot strands" approach to recent issues...
zigzagger

Cover revealed!

Post by zigzagger »

The complete 4-in-1 cover has been revealed on Ryall's blog!
It's all right here, my pretties.

Mirrored
zigzagger

Cover revealed!

Post by zigzagger »

The complete 4-in-1 cover has been revealed on Ryall's blog!
It's all right here, my pretties.

Mirrored

Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Am I alone in finding something about Sideswipe's stance to be disturbing?
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Disturbing? How so? Though it does looks more like he's cheering rather than fighting.
Actually, I looks like all four of them are moshing together.
Stunnabot2280
Protoform

Post by Stunnabot2280 »

Though I see nothing wrong w/ Sideswipe's stance, I did notice something different about his robot mode. If this is how he is to be drawn once he gets his earthly alt mode, it looks like his robot mode will look more like his brother Sunstreaker's. In 'Streaker's robot mode, the hood of his alt mode became his feet, and the windshield and top became his stomach/chest, whereas with Sideswipe, his alt mode hood became his chest, and the windshield and top became his upper and lower back, respectively. Clearly, from this picture, Sideswipe is now more of an identical twin to his brother than he used to be. The only differences now of course are his head shape and the exposed engine.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

zigzagger wrote:Disturbing? How so? Though it does looks more like he's cheering rather than fighting.
Actually, I looks like all four of them are moshing together.
Crotch thrust. Combined with the "fire it up" chant. Something about it just doesn't work with the rest of the cast... Cyclonus stalking something, Hardhead reacting in horror, Doubledealer clambering over rubble... and Sideswipe letting out a drunken cheer as he prepares to limbo.

And how far apart are those feet? He's got hips like an actOr from Blackadder the Third.

Bizarre.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Got to say that image as a whole looks like classic Pat Lee "drop 'em on a background" material, sadly.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Mmm. Regretting ordering those covers now... Not that EJ's painted work isn't as beautiful as ever, it's just that Roche's ones (well, the ones we've seen) have a bit more individuality.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Halfshell wrote:Mmm. Regretting ordering those covers now... Not that EJ's painted work isn't as beautiful as ever, it's just that Roche's ones (well, the ones we've seen) have a bit more individuality.
I actually liked the Roche covers (the three that I have seen) and am actually considering collecting them over these. They have a lovely abstract quality to them (I appreciate "abstract" works a lot). And, yeah, they do have a bit more individuality, while at the same time following a similar scheme. You know, like a collection.
Denyer

Spotlight: Sideswipe painted art

Post by Denyer »

http://ryalltime.blogspot.com/2008/06/su-per.html

Image Image Image

Very, very sweet indeed.

(Potential spoilers, though there's not too much context...)

Sideswipe will be the concluding chapter of this quartet of Spotlight issues:

http://tfarchive.com/comics/idw/guide.php?s=revelations
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

Damn that is nice.

Andy
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Ohhhh that is so beautiful. Why can't all TF comics look like that, rather than Adobe cocking Photoshop?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

You know when I say 'painted' it's done with a graphics tablet, yeah?

Digital colouring has come an incredibly long way since productions such as Age of Apocalype, hasn't it? What's possible with it, anyway, not what people actually tend to do wiv it.
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

If memory serves me E.J does his lineart in Manga Studio EX before using Painter to do the ...well painting!

The problem with photoshop isn't that it's not versatile it's just too many people using it opt for the same pallette choices and brush choices and it becomes all much of a muchness and try to do what looks kewl. God help us when Photoshop can actually do a decent watercolour brush or two, everything will be done that way for a while.

Andy
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

These painted pages just look gorgeous.

...On a slightly related note, I have been buying IDW's TF comics since infiltration #0 and I am a little miffed that after 18 issues and a bunch of spotlights that a 4 comic group is the way it finishes up...It seems as if something great was building but never got quite done. (I know I haven't read any of the revelations comics yet)

...I'm new to comic books and only buy TF comics, but this long, never-ending saga that refuses to come to a point is not selling me on more comic books. I will continue to buy TF comics but that's only because I'm a slave to hasbro. (and it's licensing divisions)
Come on and wind me up.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

another tf fan wrote:is the way it finishes up
It's not. There are another eight issues in sequence to come before the All Hail Megatron storyline.

This is a subplot that's been running through several character Spotlight issues and latterly through Devastation. Not going to be surprised if it doesn't entirely close the door on the dead universe, either.

Solicits always tend to sell events as ends and "nothing will ever be the same again" stuff.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, IDW have tried it too many times now...
Denyer wrote:You know when I say 'painted' it's done with a graphics tablet, yeah?
Yeh, but it's nice when it's done in a way that very few could manage. It's nice to see the tech used in a way which doesn't make it look like every other comic in the world. It means I might actually buy one of their comics first-hand. Who knows, maybe they'll have written a script as well. It's a creativity blow-out!