Michael Bay Talks Transformers 2 - No Dinobots?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

Tramp wrote:Personally, I prefer "Comicbook" Grimlock over "Cartoon" Grimlock, and it is that personality I see being the best choice for the movie if they do use the Dinobots, not the "stupid" Grimlock from the cartoon.
I agree - I finished reading the Shockwave spotlight, and I much prefer the Dinobots as IDW presents them than the cartoon. It seems they have more of a combat edge when they are ruled by fear through Grimlock, than merely being stupid and squeeky voiced..... That and Grimlock is arrogant as ****! And we love Grimlock like that :).
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

Well, I was referring to his characterization in War Within, which is probably pretty close to his IDW characterization, thish I can't say for sure since I haven't read Spotlight: Shockwave.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

Tramp wrote:Well, I was referring to his characterization in War Within, which is probably pretty close to his IDW characterization, thish I can't say for sure since I haven't read Spotlight: Shockwave.
That too - his characterization in War Within was pretty great too. They matched it up closely in the Spotlight to an extent.
Smokescreen GT

Post by Smokescreen GT »

Tramp wrote:Personally, I prefer "Comicbook" Grimlock over "Cartoon" Grimlock, and it is that personality I see being the best choice for the movie if they do use the Dinobots, not the "stupid" Grimlock from the cartoon.
I completely agree with you. The comic book personality and character would go so much better with the movieverse. Just as long as he still says "Me, Grimlock." You gotta have that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

Smokescreen GT wrote:I completely agree with you. The comic book personality and character would go so much better with the movieverse. Just as long as he still says "Me, Grimlock." You gotta have that.
But of course. Grimlock has to have his characteristic speech impediment.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I'd really only agree to that if he were using it in irony. Maybe if Prime were to say something, and Grimlock said it in a ridiculing way as if to say, "Listen buddy. I'm not stupid."
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

Nah, he has to have the speech impediment. It's his trademark.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Well, that'll teach people to have an opinion.

I'm torn - the speech impediment would be good to have, but it'd be really difficult in the film medium to transmit him not being a total moron. The problem is that the cartoon incarnation, courtesy of that wanker Glut, is the best known, and there's a fair chance any Grimlock in something this big would be object-throwingly thick. Mind, to be fair, they ignored the cartoon version of Starscream by making him subtle and smart...
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Cliffjumper wrote:Mind, to be fair, they ignored the cartoon version of Starscream by making him subtle and smart...
I'm constantly amazed at peoples ability to extrapolate personality traits from Starscreams two nondescript lines in the film.

Chance are Film Grimlock will be as different from comic Grimlock as Film Skorponok is from the late Furman run one.
Jetfire426
Protoform

Post by Jetfire426 »

no dinobots??? ahhhh...i guess i'll just have to wait to see for myself if this is going to be good...i'm still kinda of rubbed the wrong way about the whole mouth thing for optimus... i guess i'm just too G1...hopefully it will be good
One shall stand, One shall fall...
13thScorpio

Post by 13thScorpio »

Well,having Grimlock and gang in the next movie would be great.If at all possible, it'd be neat to see them as dino's,be it alt or the monster truck and other idea's(Particularly the war machines).Though,would prefer the dino's.Besides,doesn't Grim need to do a little bashing with that big sword of his?Or else,another idea,they could be triple changers...(it's a thought)And as for the portrayal,preferably comic.Though,as inflatable said,they'd likely be potrayed differently.
eleven59
Protoform

Post by eleven59 »

well considering this IS a GM commercial, if there is a Grimlock he'd be a Hummer I... that being said a monster truck would be nice too... I just don't see metal dinosaurs fitting in with this version of TF.... and Grimlock can't be a back hoe digger.... that's reserved for the Constructicons!! (hopes beyond hope). perhaps that's the new species... the REAL devestator!!

oh and i've liked the predator as an alt mode for a long time, but not for swoop, it's for lazerbeak...

anything else??
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Bring back Pretenders!
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Tetsuro wrote:Bring back Pretenders!
How the **** would that work?
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

glazios

Post by glazios »

Smokescreen GT wrote:Oh, wow. I didn't even know about that version of Grimlock. Not too bad. It's kinda dinosaur-like in appearance....
...A tank or other military vehicle are not bad, either, but Bay seems to assign military alt modes to the 'cons and regular street vehicles to Autobots...
I guess Bay might go out on a limb with the Dinos... I'd like to see something along the lines of the Spotlight: Shockwave Alt. Modes (Minus the synthetic skin, of course...) if they're going to be dinosaurs, but if they ABSOLUTELY have to be something else... well, I guess making them military vehicles would give Bay another reason to make his Pearl Harbour work look like a backyard fireworks display... I agree that they'd look better in their WW Alt. Modes in this sense (because the Dinos would probably REFUSE to conform to regs and go native), but who knows what Bay would do to them...
starlord
Protoform

Post by starlord »

At least have insecticons around.
A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest of decepticons.