Michael Bay Talks Transformers 2 - No Dinobots?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Luckydan
Protoform

Post by Luckydan »

Betcha new species is gonna be Go-bots and Rock-lords
grimlockprime108
Protoform

Post by grimlockprime108 »

especially not that
Civ

Post by Civ »

grimlockprime108 wrote:especially not that
I see, and may I ask why so for you?
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

i am just happy if Grimmy gets an incarnation at all, and a damned good animator, voice actor, etc. I am just curious, if Grimmy is in the movie, who would be the ideal voice for him? There is also talk of an older TF being in the movie on Seibertron, and that has got me to thinking who it could be.
grimlockprime108
Protoform

Post by grimlockprime108 »

Civ wrote:I see, and may I ask why so for you?
cause i can't see big grim being some kind of car or truck,i think he should be either a beast,high grade military hardware or cybertronian(just not megatron style cybertronian)
Sonray

Post by Sonray »

Im glad there wont be any dinobots. They simply wouldn't work in this continuity. Good news if you ask me. Even better news is the fact that the retarded writers strike is over and Bay can get a script done and get the movie made by summer next year!
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

i agree with sonray that the dinos don't really work. the characters are strong, but the alt modes don't really fit.
Come on and wind me up.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Sonray wrote: Even better news is the fact that the retarded writers strike is over and Bay can get a script done and get the movie made by summer next year!
Mind, I doubt the final, proper script will be that different from the one what Bay wrote himself (The full contents of which being: everything explodes).
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

I disagree thatr their dino-modes wouldn't fit. If done like Skorponok's was, then yes, they would fit in perfectly. Personally, I hope that they are in the new movie with dinosaur modes.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Big Bad for the next movie 2 should be shockwave. And they should probably just focus on him and maybe one or two other cons as the enemy - the decepticons had no real character in the movie. There was simply too many cons flying about the place for many to make an impact character wise (blowing stuff up and car chase are not character development)

I'd love to see the dinobots in it from the spectacle point of view. I'm sure they could write some reason for the alt modes in there.

Also AvPR is not better than AvP. They are both terrible films. Requiem has the marginally better action but no attempt at plot, the first one has predators wwf style and a unintentionally hilarious running-from-explosion scene with the girl and the pred. Did like the way the blonde girl died in requiem but thats the only real high point from 2 films.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Tramp wrote:I disagree thatr their dino-modes wouldn't fit. If done like Skorponok's was, then yes, they would fit in perfectly. Personally, I hope that they are in the new movie with dinosaur modes.
That logic doesn't make sense. Scorponok worked for two reasons:

1. He was carried around inside Blackout, and thus was largely out of sight.
2. Scorponok isn't particularly interested in being secretive, unlike the Autobots (refer to Prime's "hiding in plain sight" statements at the end of the movie).

The Autobots are going to have one hell of a time hiding in plain sight with giant robot dinosaurs around. Not that I wouldn't love to see them, but it'd be difficult to shoehorn them into the nature of this continuity.
Halfshell wrote: Not even an Alternator where the original character was a car?
Meh...I don't deny that they're very pretty and well-made, but the Alternators just don't do it for me, even when they're not bastardizing a character (Ravage, Grimlock, etc.). I guess it's because they all look very similar to me, and while most other toys clearly don't match up in terms of quality, they just feel more...unique to me, e.g., there's much more of a difference between Movie Bumblebee and Jazz than most Alternators.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Vin Ghostal wrote:bastardizing a character (Ravage
Small nitpick on that score. Even though I know you're referring to the first [Battle] Ravage (who was "supposed to" be the BW character. Sort of. Or something), the second [non Battle] Ravage is the most awesomely genius Alternator of the lot. Even if the articulation is non existent and it's a dodgy toy... a Jaguar that turns into a jaguar gets huge points for integrity to both the character and the concept of the toyline.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Vin Ghostal wrote:That logic doesn't make sense. Scorponok worked for two reasons:

1. He was carried around inside Blackout, and thus was largely out of sight.
2. Scorponok isn't particularly interested in being secretive, unlike the Autobots (refer to Prime's "hiding in plain sight" statements at the end of the movie).

The Autobots are going to have one hell of a time hiding in plain sight with giant robot dinosaurs around. Not that I wouldn't love to see them, but it'd be difficult to shoehorn them into the nature of this continuity.
I could see the dinos not being called on until there's an emergency.

Besides, they always seemed like a "We do whatever the slag we want." lot, so they probably wouldn't pay any attention to Prime's insistence on staying hidden.

Hmmm . . . I'd really like to see the movieverse's take on Dinobots.* Maybe as non-cast toys, like Payload, Longarm, Landmine etc. I'm all about the toys anyway.

*I'd at least like to get updates of the dinos, like they did with Classics Grimlock. I'll have to see how the animated figures look before I decide on those ones. Hell, I'd settle for Snarl.
Civ

Post by Civ »

RID Scourge wrote:I could see the dinos not being called on until there's an emergency.

Besides, they always seemed like a "We do whatever the slag we want." lot, so they probably wouldn't pay any attention to Prime's insistence on staying hidden.
I don't think that would fly too well. First, where would they stay when they aren't fighting where us ignorant humans wouldn't attack them? Giant, robot dinosaurs would probably inspire Godzilla-like fear in humans. It would kinda put a damper on doing whatever they want.

On a side note, I'm sorta hoping Grimlock turns into a Ford Model T. What? It's a dinosaur of a car!
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

There are a number of ways to get them into the story that would make sense and I agree with Scourge that Grimlock and his bunch wouldn't really care about "staying hidden". It's just not their style. As for where they would get their alt modes, that's easy. They land in a science museum by the dinosaur exhibit. Simple and stragith forward. As for a place to hide, that too is easy. They would either hide in plain sight at said museum, (or an art museum pretending to be sculptures),at a park, or in the wilderness. There are places where they could "disappear" if they really wanted to.
lars573
Protoform

Post by lars573 »

Another option;

This new species are TF's that don't have humanoid robot forms. IE Grimlock is a vehicle (tank monster truck whatevs) that transforms into a beastie that resembles a T-rex.
Smokescreen GT

Post by Smokescreen GT »

lars573 wrote:Another option;

This new species are TF's that don't have humanoid robot forms. IE Grimlock is a vehicle (tank monster truck whatevs) that transforms into a beastie that resembles a T-rex.
I was thinking that, too. His "robot" mode could be dino-like in appearance just as Starscream's 'bot mode was ape-like.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

I hope not. That would not fit Grimlock at all.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

It arguably wouldn't fit the original comic Grimlock (though cartoon Grim spent most of his time in Dino mode didn't he? Especially after the Movie), the sequel character with the name might be portrayed in such a way as for it to make perfect sense.
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

Personally, I prefer "Comicbook" Grimlock over "Cartoon" Grimlock, and it is that personality I see being the best choice for the movie if they do use the Dinobots, not the "stupid" Grimlock from the cartoon.