"All Hail Megatron" teasers: art, interviews, etc.

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

So...from the preview pages we've seen so far, issue #1 is basically one big extended "Decepticons demolish a city" scene? :down:

This sort of wanton destruction really, really doesn't jive with what we've seen of the IDW Decepticons. They've been introduced to us as something resembling a proper army, not the thuggish gang we saw in the cartoon and much of the Marvel comics. Meandering rampages through a city don't jive with that at all.
Hennessy
Protoform

Post by Hennessy »

This looks really good inked. Can't wait to see it in color.
http://www.shanemccarthy.com/

Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

So who is the bot that's reflected in Soundwave's visor? Looks to me like it could be Rumble or Frenzy.
Starfield
Protoform

I'll pass

Post by Starfield »

Blitzwing wrote:Shane McCarthy was interviewed about the series by Newsarama:

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=153048
NRAMA: So why do the Decepticons want earth, anyway? Noting against their wishes, but it seems like they could really rock out on a gas giant like Jupiter - more space, more raw materials, bigger...

SM: If they were only after raw materials, sure. However this is less about the immediacy of conquest or the acquisition of resources and more about the psychology that underpins the reason for the Decepticons' very existence. Why do they want Earth? Why do they do anything they do to begin with? I'll be answering these questions as we go along. Like I said earlier, this is very, very far from just being a story about a big old fight.
Umm... Ore-13? Hello?
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Starfield wrote:Umm... Ore-13? Hello?
Yeah, no doubt. I thought he said he read all the other IDW comics....
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Commander Shockwav
Protoform

Post by Commander Shockwav »

Cliffjumper wrote:For me, a huge part is the pacing - what we've had so far could have fitted in 12 comics, maximum. Possibly less.
For me, that nails the problem with what I've seen so far from IDW.

That, and the Furmanesque dialogue really detract from the product.

I, for one, am eagerly awaiting AHM.

It will be a change, and whether it's a change for the better or worse, we'll see, but I need a change.

I don't want to suffer mediocrity anymore and am willing to sacrifice having a reasonably good story for having a great one.

It could suck, but take that chance, I say. Mix things up.
snavej

Post by snavej »

'....just 9/11ed a whole load of people for no reason!'

I think that Megatron has his reasons. Perhaps he is doing all that to flush out the Dead Universe crew, so that they can be dealt with properly. The Dead Universe crew are interested in - and attracted to - death, destruction and mayhem.
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Hennessy wrote:This looks really good inked. Can't wait to see it in color.
http://www.shanemccarthy.com/

That cover reminds me of one of the covers from War Within V2, IIRC. Might be imagining it. Is that Swindle reflected?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Neuronutter wrote:That cover reminds me of one of the covers from War Within V2, IIRC. Might be imagining it. Is that Swindle reflected?
Rumble or Frenzy, I reckon.

Though I'm not sure why Shockwave's chest is behind him.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Commander Shockwav wrote:the Furmanesque dialogue
Could be a sticking point if, like me, a large chunk of the ten thousand plus customer base feel that it's a big reason they're reading...

I'm keeping an open mind. The switch does require that a lot of other people do the same.
Rossum
Protoform

Post by Rossum »

Shane McCarthy's responses in the Q&A over at the IDW forums have emphasized an interest in character development and interesting themes for the series. His answers are probably tailored to respond to the complaints that have come up, but still, the outlook for AHM's quality has improved a lot. For me, anyway.

And losing at least some aspects of the dialogue in the main series wouldn't be such a bad thing. I like it overall, but there are some moments that make me cringe. "Heart and fiery soul!" indeed.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I don't mind Furmanesque dialogue in itself - it suits the rough 'n' tumble Marvel material beautifully. It just jars when set to pseudo-realism, like Brasnya (old-style Marvel having, say, Wakanda isn't a big problem because it's constant with a universe where people hide their identities with domino masks and take Namor seriously).

I just don't see why it had to be a choice between mapping out a new universe and having a really good story. Most of the greatest comics have managed to establish their own backgrounds while also being really, really good fun to read (I can think of very few solid-gold classic titles that were either set fully in an existing universe, or were set in an existing universe and didn't disregard the thing apart from when it suited them).

IDW G1 has been very worthy - in general, the theories and layout can't be faulted, neither can much of the characterisation (sure, you could write IDW-centric bios on half of Prowl's team on the back of a stamp [Sunstreaker was chippy. Then he became a Headmaster. Jazz is white with black bits and turns into a car. This is also true of Wheeljack], but not everyone's going to get their, ahem, spotlight - Miracleman had Huey Moon, The Authority had Swift and so on), but the actual issue-by-issue storytelling has ranged from average (the latter half of Escalation hit about the right sort of pace, IMO - not just the fight scenes [though they were a welcome novelty], but the right rate of things unfolding and being introduced. Devastation went tits-up in the second half because the layout was screwed, the action was half-hearted and hobbled by Furman being unable to write out a single semi-central character and by War & Peace-itis) to very, very poor.

Part of the problem is that Furman seems to feel obliged to reset the speedometer to zero with every #1 - I guess this is some sort of concession to new readers, but I'm failing to see how - it's going to make them think the comic's dull (which isn't an unfair assumption...), and the plotlines are already growing so labyrinthine you'd have to wonder how many new readers would know or care what's going on anyway.

We should count ourselves lucky, TBH. I get the distinct feeling both Escalation and Devastation were de-Jubilee'd to a large extent, and probably sped up a little. Mind, Escalation still contained the most emo line of dialogue ever, and even if everything else was perfect it'd deserve contempt for that alone... ;)

I think the main reason for AHM happening is to get a comic out there to get some jump-on readers, TBH. The central concept is incredibly simple ("Decepticons rool teh Earth - h@rdc0r3! TO THE X-TREME"), and no doubt there'll be lavish adverts within for the fine collection of IDW graphic novels.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

http://ryalltime.blogspot.com/2008/05/swipe-file.html

That is awesome.

Shame on anyone who doesn't recognise what it's a take-off of...
Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious »

SPOILER! (select to read)
Alan Moore's and Brian Bolland's The Killing Joke Cover
I didn't know if you really wanted an answer, but whatever. I'm generally excited about this series. Especially if the art is going to stay like the samples we've seen so far.
~
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I'm happy enough with Guido's stuff, choice of seekers with kibble notwithstanding. And the interviews sound good. Thing is, by this point I've read a lot of interviews that sounded good, and been less than happy on a few occasions.

My sub for the first half of the run is already in, anyway. Brave new world, and all that...

edit: And I'm looking forward muchly to the Revelations stuff.
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

It's a good looking cover.

I'm a bit cautious about this but I'm more than willing to give it a go for a few issues and see how it pans out.

Andy
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

That sure is nifty. Proof that (okay, maybe not) that Optimus Prime is the Batman to Megatron's Joker (or something like that).

Still like Roche's pop art cover(s) though, but this is just plain clever.
snavej

Post by snavej »

Hasn't Megatron got a built-in camera with massive digital memory, inside his head? This is just posing for a cheap reference!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

snavej wrote:Hasn't Megatron got a built-in camera with massive digital memory, inside his head?

Why have a dog and bark yourself?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

http://ryalltime.blogspot.com/2008/05/o ... rmers.html

Great job all round, in sad circumstances.