"All Hail Megatron" teasers: art, interviews, etc.

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Oooh... that looks good. Although it is a lot more 'G1 cartoonish' than the previous "...tion" series' have been.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Looks like Guido's drawn the Masterpiece toy.

Eh, not too bothered, personally -- it's the writing I'm most interested in.
Civ

Post by Civ »

I'd like to know what the reason is for them going backwards, story-wise, with the plane designs. I kinda liked the more articulate-looking designs better.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Civ wrote:I'd like to know what the reason is for them going backwards, story-wise, with the plane designs. I kinda liked the more articulate-looking designs better.
I don't think they're 'going backwards' with the alt-modes. Given how easily the IDW TFs can switch alt-modes, it just means that they had some mission or the other where F-15s were a better disguise than F-22s (which, because only the US operates them, are only a good disguise in America and near US bases). F-15s are hardly ideal as a disguise either, but at least they're a step in the right direction in that respect.

Of course, its easy for me to say that. I wasn't a big fan of the F-22 design (the same goes for many of the IDW redesigns, in retrospect -- where they overlap, Classics and Alternators usually do a better job reimagining the original characters), so I'm glad to see them go. IMO the F-15 is a much nicer-looking jet.

But like Denyer said, the character's looks are secondary to the story they're in.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Do we actually know how easy a IDW alt mode change is? As far as I recall we've seen immediately before and after in places like Nightbeat, but not the process itself. It could be a quick scan ala the film, or a radical rebuild as in the oriignal comics. Not that this invalidates Warcry's point as they've a year to rejig themselves in...
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

inflatable dalek wrote:Do we actually know how easy a IDW alt mode change is? As far as I recall we've seen immediately before and after in places like Nightbeat, but not the process itself. It could be a quick scan ala the film, or a radical rebuild as in the oriignal comics. Not that this invalidates Warcry's point as they've a year to rejig themselves in...
I'm guessing it's a quick and easy process mainly because of Spotlight: Shockwave. Grimlock & co. manage to arrive in Earth orbit, pull off an alt-mode switch and still get down to the surface within the time window of Shockwave's mission, without any specialized tech staff on hand. If an alt-mode switch was as involved as it was in the Marvel comics, I don't think they could have done that. The impression I've gotten so far is more along the lines of the "quickly rebuilt in CR chamber"-type thing we saw in Beast Wars than anything else.

But like you say, we don't actually know how it works and I could be totally off-base here.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

As long as it's not instant and unaided, I'll be happy, personally.
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Is there anyone else who finds this disturbingly more “DW” than “IDW”, if you know what I mean?

And, I was a bit surprised to realize that I’d be that “disturbed”, since I actually enjoyed much of Dreamwave at the time it was going. But, as much as I’ll always love them for the complete physical and verbal smackdown Megatron gave Shockwave in the penultimate issue of their run, I really do prefer the IDW continuity over the Dreamwave material, and I hope that All Hail Megatron doesn’t end up seeming like it belongs in the DW universe. (Which, really, Megatron Origin, despite whatever re-writes were done, still does, I think.)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hennessy
Protoform

Post by Hennessy »

Terome

Post by Terome »

Looks good. Though I'm sure there are more effective ways of causing destruction... can a gang of angry construction workers possibly cause as much damage as a few bombs dropped by, say, Thundercracker. Oh well, whatever. Looks good.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

I hope they flesh out the individual personalities of the Constructicons, rather than just making them all generic and having Scrapper talk for them the whole time.
Hennessy
Protoform

Post by Hennessy »

I'd like to see some other Decepticons get the shine then the usual. Hopefully this will happen. With a 12 issue story arc there should be plenty of room for this.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Shane McCarthy was interviewed about the series by Newsarama:

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=153048

I got to say that I'm not happy that he seems to be implying that this is pretty much a reboot for the series. I would have liked it to tie in with IDW's other work at least a little bit. Hopefully it won't cancel out any of the subplots that were brought up in the various Spotlights.

I'm also skeptical about him claiming to be a "Transformers fan from the beginning".
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Blitzwing wrote:I'm also skeptical about him claiming to be a "Transformers fan from the beginning".
Awww, come on, Pat Lee said the same thing and that worked out.

:(
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Shall I prepare the tar and feathers for a good ol' fandom welcome?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Blitzwing wrote:I got to say that I'm not happy that he seems to be implying that this is pretty much a reboot for the series.
Seconded. I get that it's aimed mostly at readers jumping on-board or who aren't keen on Furman, but the presentation of that fact is unfortunate at best.
inflatable dalek

If the plane for Revalations is to wrap everything up, then I guess a fresh start as a new jumping on point isn't that bad an idea (as long as it is set in the same continuity that is), if there's still a load of unanswered questions that'll be a bugger.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I think Furman's aiming to wrap up key points and springboard into the other stuff he's writing -- and certainly a springboard / second phase is a good idea for the title. It just hasn't been presented well by the incoming writer.

You don't need the "isn't a *complete* reset", "we're taking giant steps forward", "new approach to the license", "Chris and I started talking and the subject of Transformers came up. He [...] was looking for somewhere new to take the series." -- it reads like an assassination of the current author/storyline.
Terome

Post by Terome »

I'm willing to chalk up all this 'fresh start' stuff as marketing-speak but to be honest I'm more interested in Furman's mysterious eight issues than this. I am very curious to see how it is all going to match up.
inflatable dalek

Mind, considering I found the last few issues of the current storyline crap I can apriciate that point of view.