BotCon 2008 registration / details and images of convention toy exclusives as they're revealed

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Jazz and Jetf-er, Starscream are both gorgeous. If they were released at retail, I'd consider buying 'em. At exclusive prices, though...not a chance.

Grimlock? M'eh.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

For those who haven't seen them yet: Jazz and Grimlock.

http://botcon.com/Botcon08/08figures.cfm
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Am I the only one here thats just finding these hideous? I mean at first when we saw Prime, I was sorta thinking..ok maybe this can work. But now..these are just fugly as hell colors. Starscream is the worst, it makes no sense to paint him as a Jetfire homage, well I guess you could figure it in as they were best friends at one time, or heroic jets should all look the same, ect...but no..just no.
numbat

Post by numbat »

I was hoping for something a little more original for Screamer - I mean, that would make a great old-style Universe Jetfire, but it really makes no sense to me as Starscream. Which is a shame, as I think the scheme works rather well otherwise.

Jazz looks cool, but, again, as a Classics or Universe Jazz. I'm not liking the evil slant there. Perhaps a a larger departure in the paint department would have helped.

Grimlock looks great, though - although, erm, maybe as Universe or Classics Trypticon, or any other Decepticon beastie type.

I am interested in the Minicon. I wonder how good he'll turn out...

I love Goldbug, still, and Prime looks rather nifty.

But, I'm sure there will be plenty of folks who like the lot!

If they are ever at a sensible price, I may well pick up Goldbug. But at the crazy markups that are likely to be imposed after the film and last year's ones, I can't see dealers shifting many. So, perhaps in a couple years they will drop... One can only hope...

;)

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

The way I saw it was that Jetfire's the most prominent of the autobot jets, and Starscream is the most prominent decepticon jet. All in all, I hope they give the head a bit more color.

Grimlock and Trypticon are both t-rexes. I can see the roll-reversal.

Jazz is the only one who hasn't changed color. I think I'm more confused about that one, but he looks good and the new head is pretty cool. I just kinda wish they'd done him up in more traditional decepticon colors (my guess is that someone at the OTFCC really wanted a Classics Jazz. Either way, it works for me).

I really like the way Goldbug came out. The new head looks even better than Cybertron Hotshot's imo. You also don't get much more Bumblebee than black and yellow.

Prime is a good departure from the Nemesis treatment and highly detailed.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

I don't think I particularly like the Starscream recolour. It's a bit of inspired fun, but not to my taste as it is too ghostly white (unless ohhhhhh - :nonono: nah...) and doesn't suit the mold.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tom Anger
Protoform

Post by Tom Anger »

Ackula wrote:Am I the only one here thats just finding these hideous?

No.

Jazz is pointless unless he was a Classics Jazz as said above. Same for a "Universe Trypticon" for Grimlock. Again Prime was intresting and I wondered how every one else would look. And then I saw "Starscream"......the paint application doesn't deserve the time unless it was a "Universe Jetfire". Again said above. So no. Not the only one.

Goldbug on the other hand...:)
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Just because they're ludicrously inappropriate for the stated theme of the set doesn't mean they're bad toys. It just means the people designing toys for BotCon are complete and utter mooks, but we knew that already.

For my part, I try not to let terrible storyline concepts keep me from enjoying the attached figures, if they're any good (hell, if I did that I wouldn't have a single Armada, Energon or Cybertron toy...). And from where I'm sitting, at least a couple of them are pretty good.
Dragon Warrior Steve
Protoform

Post by Dragon Warrior Steve »

Hot damn, I really want that Jazz, but it doesn't look evil at all. WTF?
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

The only evil thing on Jazz is all the 'Massacre Racing' decals.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Official pics of Starscream and Razorclaw.

http://www.botcon.com/BotCon08/08figures.cfm
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Dirge, Thundercracker and Thrust from last years con were truly exclusives worth hunting down. This year the toys are cool, but not nearly as cool as last years.

-Prime: Worst repaint of a classics toy yet.
-Grimlock: Hardly different than the original release
-Goldbug: Not bad at all, but I already have two colors of this mould, don't need another
-Jazz: a very nice head sculpt and great deco job on yet another Cybertron toy I own too many of.
-Starscream: The only toy out of the bunch that really looks good to me. I already have the mould, but the slight re-do of the hands and the new gun, along with the Jetfire colors really look good.

So the con exclusives seem to only be Classics and Cybertron toys for the 06, 07, 08 seasons... not very creative and this years theme is the worst so far.
Come on and wind me up.
Civ

Post by Civ »

another tf fan wrote:So the con exclusives seem to only be Classics and Cybertron toys for the 06, 07, 08 seasons... not very creative and this years theme is the worst so far.
Pretty much my sentiments. I'm actually glad I didn't get this year's set. Right now, the best of the bunch to me is Razorclaw and that's sad since I don't care for Mini-cons at all.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I'm really glad they added the silver to the face between the proto and now. It gives it a bit more than the white.

Razorclaw's all right. Very interesting that they chose the wolf minicon for him. I'm not really all that into the minicons that came out after Armada though, except for a few.
numbat

Post by numbat »

I'm very keen on Razorclaw. I may well try and hunt him down.

If anybody picks these guys up, and doesn't really care for Minicons, give a thought to ol' numbat over the pond in Scotland... ;)

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

http://botcon.com/botcon08/08figures.cfm

Atendee figure: Ricochet. Just a repaint of their Jazz figure. Doesn't really bring anything new to the table.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

An evil version of Ben Yee's Mary Sue? Somehow I doubt it will be 'Evil Stepper'...
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

So what's the going price on these again? (Honest question.)
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

It was $285 for members and $335 for non-members, but the sets are sold out now.
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Why am i glad they're sold out?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]