IDW cover contest | UPDATE: final results now in!

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Yeah, IIRC it's part of the prize for the top three that they get pro colouring. :)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Denyer wrote:Erm? You've lost me...
Wasn't Dylan Gibson the artist for that awful UK DVD tie-in comic with the combining Dinobots? I keep meaning to scan that to inflict it on the rest of the world...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Ah, right. Apparently -- but faced with that script I'd have been ****ing around on the art duties (if I could draw) too; entirely agree with ya...

edit: Images -- http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Talk:The_Beast_Within
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/The_ ... hin#Errors - FTW!

Aside from the Dinobot combiner, always felt the art was by far the strongest part, despite at least one thundering continuity error. The script is so bad Geoff Senior, Dave Gibbons and Frank Bunn working in sync and adding Betty Page to each frame wouldn't have helped...

I shall inflict the scans on anyone wandering into TF Media, methinks...
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Thanks Denyer for solving a problem Ive been having over the weekend.
I finally splashed out £90 to upgrade from a 19in CRT to a 19in WS TFT monitor in the Play.com sale.
http://www.play.com//ProductOutline.asp ... 317&r=PCSH

I had no idea how difficult it would be to get a decent wallpaper that doesnt look stretched,washed out or out of proportion at 1440x900(the spec on the page is wrong) but the large version of Casey Collers entry fits the bill superbly.
Its an absolutely stunning piece of work and a worthy winner.
I want to see it coloured ASAP.
I wasnt as impressed as you guys by Dylan Gibsons work as I dont like the "Mexican Standoff" style entries where its 'Bots on one side and 'Cons on the other without much interaction and some of the characters are so small (especially Shockwave) they get lost in the mix.
I was a bit disappointed with Andrew Griffiths entry as although its really good I dont think its on a par with his previous efforts from the first two rounds which were personal favourites and clear winners in both their earlier categories for me.
I wonder if it was time constraints or some other reason.
I dont buy comics(TF or otherwise) so Im probably not in a position to judge but I thought a couple of the entries missed the mark.
Also who are the judges and what are their "claims to fame"
I got the Dinobot thing when I bought the G1 Boxsets and remembered thinking it was pretty dreadful when I read it but I thought it was just me-glad to see it wasnt me just not getting it.
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

martyboy70 wrote:I wasnt as impressed as you guys by Dylan Gibsons work as I dont like the "Mexican Standoff" style entries where its 'Bots on one side and 'Cons on the other without much interaction and some of the characters are so small (especially Shockwave) they get lost in the mix.
The composition's not really suitable for a cover, no. It's the detail on faces I love -- and Prowl jumping into action looks spot-on like old comics.

As a cover I'd probably pick Ozzy's or Casey's. The former's very heavy on poses, but it manages to keep the scene uncluttered. :)
martyboy70 wrote: who are the judges and what are their "claims to fame"
Su: main artist on IDW's -ation titles.
Burcham: the guy who, if it were possible, should be colouring everything IDW do. He's that damn good.
Mowry: co-writer of the Movie Sequel mini that's out soon, and IDW staffer.
Holmes: wrote Megatron: Origin.
Shaun & Josh: fans, organisers.
AskShockwave
Protoform

Post by AskShockwave »

Cliffjumper wrote:http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/The_ ... hin#Errors - FTW!

I shall inflict the scans on anyone wandering into TF Media, methinks...
God, I've just had a look at that.

Altogether now - "Kill it, Predaking!". It doesn't really bear any discussion, does it?
To be fair, though, there were a few nice touchs, like the accidental standing on Wheeljack. Always thought that that would be a problem with combiners.
"There's money in the Banana Stand"
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

AskShockwave wrote:God, I've just had a look at that.

Altogether now - "Kill it, Predaking!". It doesn't really bear any discussion, does it?
To be fair, though, there were a few nice touchs, like the accidental standing on Wheeljack. Always thought that that would be a problem with combiners.
Its not just Combiners who need to watch where they are putting their feet.

http://mattmoylan.deviantart.com/art/Li ... e-60360195
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Denyer wrote:Burcham: the guy who, if it were possible, should be colouring everything IDW do. He's that damn good.
QFT. :up: :up:
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Okay. So what did Holmes do that was useful again (i.e. his "claim to fame")?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Gave a very promising interview before Megatron: Origin came out?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

zigzagger wrote:Okay. So what did Holmes do that was useful again (i.e. his "claim to fame")?

To be fair, out of the judges only Su and Burcham seem to have the qualifications to do so. Mind, Holmes at least knows what bad art looks like now...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Play-at-home results:

http://idwpublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... sc&start=0

Javier's came out particularly well. :)
AskShockwave
Protoform

Post by AskShockwave »

Denyer wrote:
Javier's came out particularly well. :)
Yeah, great sense of scale, though the left hand side seems to work a whole lot better than the right. My vote would go to Ed Pirrie - it doesn't have the same scale as Javier's, but it's got a really Marvel UK nostalga to it, and Wheeljack's frantic Fort Max repair is nicely done. It's also nice to find that Galvatron feels exactly the same way that I did about Ultra Mag's antenni...

Edit: Just realised the results posted at the bottom of the page and... Ed's didn't even rank? Maybe it's just my own taste/nostlaga getting in the way...
"There's money in the Banana Stand"
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Any news on when we might see final coloured versions of the winners from the real contest?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Obviously I meant Fleetway legend Reg Bunn, not Oldham Athletic legend Frankie Bunn. Though Frankie Bunn would probably write a better TF comic than Darren Jamieson.