IDW cover contest | UPDATE: final results now in!

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Isnt his one of the late entries (what happened there Slarti?)
I find myself once more loving the work of Andrew Griffiths tho I have not looked at the Hunter ones yet Ive looked at almost all the work in the other 3 and its definitely my favourite.
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

zigzagger wrote:It won't let me vote for Slarti.
The late entries didn't submit by the deadline, and therefore are only shared for comparison.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

:( - myeh... I was disqualified. Sorry... I feel like I let everyone down. If the truth must be known, I fell asleep in front of computer as I was inking and woke up four or five hours after the deadline had passed. stupid.

I lost about two kilos during that week through general lack of sleep and lack of sunlight though, and I almost lost my job. Epic.
Housewife2000
Protoform

Post by Housewife2000 »

AskShockwave - cheers man! I'm a big fan of your style, particularly the details, like Hook's eyes and his reading lens. Deceptichops' piece looks like something from Dante's Inferno.

Slarti - that's a damn shame because your sense of design and layout is amazing.

By the way, does anyone know if it's the top two places in each category, or just the one winner who goes through to round three?
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Yay ! new freebox ! Looks exactly like the old one, only with less dust !

results of round two are up : http://idwpublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... &start=624

I haven't been following, so I'm not sure what that's all about. Sounds juicy.

edit : @housewife2000 : thanks for your encouragement dude. I really like your way of thinking in your work. There's definately a niche for your style. Top-notch artwork too.

much later edit : christ, I meant to say the same thing about Askshockwaves' work too. That sounds lame but I mean it.

...a week without the internet and I've forgotten how it works..

even later much later edit : innocently pimping my work, here is marissa.08(final).svg

AskShockwave
Protoform

Post by AskShockwave »

yo yo. Controversial change of result on the Arkeville thread. Well, maybe not controversial, but, it's a change. I'd link but I'm lazy.

Once again, Slarti - the cover i wish I'd drawn. That you didn't get it in on time makes me chew my fist, there's nothing as unique as that in the whole comp, period.

Does this mean all the tfarchivers are out?
"There's money in the Banana Stand"
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Think so. It was tough to not just pick most of them out this time around... doubt there'll be landslide wins in round three.
@housewife2000 : thanks for your encouragement dude. I really like your way of thinking in your work. There's definately a niche for your style. Top-notch artwork too.
Yeah, the arms are a nice touch, as is the blaster-blowing and the chap flinging himself off at the right. It'd make a sweet pinup piece... the 'Cons seemed a bit superfluous, though, and I couldn't work out what Swindle was doing with the cannisters. Probably something obvious, like I missed the fact the Doc still has fingers on his artificial arm...
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Thanks dude. Yeh, my general reluctance in finishing projects has caused me strife in the past as well. The competition was as much a test of my own confidence as well as a test of artistic skill. Getting comfortable with letting things go takes some getting used to... :)

Da official graduates of round two :

Spotlight : Circuit breaker
Casey Coller & Ozzy Fernandez
Image Image

Spotlight : Doctor Arkeville
Joana Amaral & Dylan Gibson
Image Image

Spotlight : Hunter O'nion
Evan Gauntt & D.J. Bryant
Image Image

Spotlight : Marissa Fairbourne
Andrew Griffith & Christie Majors
Image Image

Play at home graduates :
Aric Huftles & Tim Shinn
Image Image
I hope that's right. Wonderful stuff across the board. Looking forward to the play-at-home proposition(s) for round three.... Gonna hand that shit in on time, this time 'round :p
polystyleneman
Protoform

Post by polystyleneman »

slartibartfast wrote:Thanks dude. Yeh, my general reluctance in finishing projects has caused me strife in the past as well. The competition was as much a test of my own confidence as well as a test of artistic skill. Getting comfortable with letting things go takes some getting used to... :)

Da official graduates of round two :
For Round 2 winners, You should post people's Round 1 winning entries beside their Round 2 ones, just for fun.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Good call. Seeing the evolution in everyones' work would be fascinating.
Although maybe wait until round three, for a fully blown retrospective-type-thing ?

edit : err, sorry, forgot to post the results of the play-at-home contest : http://idwpublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... ght=#61012
Housewife2000
Protoform

Post by Housewife2000 »

The final should be really interesting. I just did a quick compare between the winners 1st and 2nd round entries, and it's clear that everyone upped their game, with better shading, positioning and use of shadows. Good stuff.
Denyer wrote: Yeah, the arms are a nice touch, as is the blaster-blowing and the chap flinging himself off at the right. It'd make a sweet pinup piece... the 'Cons seemed a bit superfluous, though, and I couldn't work out what Swindle was doing with the cannisters. Probably something obvious, like I missed the fact the Doc still has fingers on his artificial arm...
Yeah, once I hitched myself to the Opera House monster idea, the 'cons role was hard to pin down. They've both got welding gear / tools to suggest they've played a hand in constructing the Opera/Monster, but (on reflection) their poses in relation to the piece overall are just too relaxed and need to be more dynamic.

Well, you win some you lose some. Back to drawing my own stuff again...
AskShockwave
Protoform

Post by AskShockwave »

slartibartfast wrote:Good call. Seeing the evolution in everyones' work would be fascinating.
That's one of the best things about illustration, of any kind, imo. It's always really encouraging looking at the stuff strip artists produced when they started out, and what they can produce even a year later.
AskShockwave
Protoform

Post by AskShockwave »

Housewife2000 wrote: Well, you win some you lose some. Back to drawing my own stuff again...
You ever thought of trying your hand at a mosaiic? Your second round entry had a nice flow to it, it seemed like you were trying to tell a progressive story with just one image. That'd be great to see in moasic, most of which are (not to their detrement or anything) fairly straightforward panel based affairs. I'd love to see Slarti's minimal stylishness in a mosaic - like his comp entries, they'd be a refreshing change.
Housewife2000
Protoform

Post by Housewife2000 »

I did a Mosaic, way back when - here. To be honest, it was a bit of a rush job, but got me into doing War Journal pages and then this competition, and I'm hoping it's given me enough momentum with drawing that I can carry over to my own work.

I second the need for a Slarti Mosaic! And an AskShockwave Mosiac!
I've written one that still needs an artist if anyone is interested..?
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

I remember that one. Great starting point, and you've come in leaps and bounds on top of that.

;) - I'd be up for doing a mosaic, only I'm rather busy right now with :
ROUND THREE.

... and the real round three is here : http://idwpublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3507
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Pro judging of the third and final round --

http://idwpublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=64966

Image Image

Yay for wallpaper. :up:

(And doubtless I'll come back to the full thing if I ever pick up a 19" monitor...)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Much easier to appreciate his art when it's not set to the worst script ever given official approval, isn't it?
AskShockwave
Protoform

Post by AskShockwave »

Who's for kidnapping Casey Coller and forcing him to draw big battle wraparound covers ALL DAY?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

It is nifty. Needed to see the larger version he posted on DevArt to get the most out of it --

http://caliber316.deviantart.com/art/ID ... l-80890663
Cliffjumper wrote:Much easier to appreciate his art when it's not set to the worst script ever given official approval, isn't it?
Erm? You've lost me...
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Denyer wrote:It is nifty. Needed to see the larger version he posted on DevArt to get the most out of it --

http://caliber316.deviantart.com/art/ID ... l-80890663
Wow. That looks even better in the larger form.
Wonder if we'll ever see a color version...